Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Honestly the foliage looks like a gladiolus. Don't trim it, just go plant it in the yard (assuming it is warmish where you are). It looks like it's about to send up some flowers. Flowers will help you get a solid ID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forbidden Donut
Mar 19, 2006
mmm....

Hubis posted:

OK! A lot to unpack.

Thanks again. The granular post emergent I was referring to is the Step 2 in the programs sometimes called "weed and feed" I've never seen it do much for treating any existing weeds except making clover curl for a a couple of days. I agree that i should have less and less every year. I'm mostly seeing some lines of crabgrass (again where there wasn't proper overlap with the pre emergent from the step 1) and there is this really stubborn sheep sorrel that seems to come back regardless of pre emergent (i believe it's because it has a rhizome system that helps it spread) but i killed all of it this year i think. Definitely going to look into a pack for the fungicide and any spot treatment i may need.

side note the quinclorac was adequate at stressing that quack grass to death, and i've gotten rid of most of the crowns.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

FENCH DIGGITY posted:

Possibly gladiolus. I have some in my flower beds and they look very similar

vonnegutt posted:

Honestly the foliage looks like a gladiolus. Don't trim it, just go plant it in the yard (assuming it is warmish where you are). It looks like it's about to send up some flowers. Flowers will help you get a solid ID.
Thanks all! That seems like exactly what I need.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Now I've started I can't stop buying plants. Picked up two that match to ones I planted a couple of weeks ago (apparently it's bad border design to just scatter gun fifty different plants...) plus an impluse buy of some Calluna vulgaris heather.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Well, the palmetto in front of my house seems truly dead, and I still haven't been able to figure out why.

Over the past three months I've gone from watering it once a week to three times a week and then back to once a week, and even put palm fertilizer in the soil. It just kept deteriorating, and has finally dried up.

I'm assuming it's dead.

What can I replace it with? I want something that looks nice, is low maintenance and will thrive in Central Texas. I thought about bamboo but it seems most species are invasive.

Here's how much space I have:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hard to say exactly why it died, but you said it was planted by the previous owner right before you moved in? They probably just hosed up the transplant somehow and it never stood a chance.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Hard to say exactly why it died, but you said it was planted by the previous owner right before you moved in? They probably just hosed up the transplant somehow and it never stood a chance.

Yes, I moved in three months ago. It was planted by the previous owner when they remodeled the house and yard.

I'm hoping it won't be too costly to get it ripped out and replaced.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Now would be a bad time to try to plant something else. Transplants have to reestablish their roots, which means it's hard for them to take in enough water to compensate for 100-degree heat. You should probably wait until fall, late winter, or early spring. I have no idea what to recommend as far as plants go though.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Should I just leave it there then?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

:shrug:

You can if you don't mind the way it looks. It might rot a little and be easier to pull out if you leave it in for a while.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

from elsewhere.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
thats perfect

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I have an imperial red philodendron and one of the older/lower leaves is dropping and doesn’t stand up anymore. This isn’t my picture but I circled what I’m talking about.

Can I just cut this part off and put it in water to get a new plant growing?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Any thoughts on landscape architecture books/sites/sources? I just bought a house (quarter acre lot, mostly back yard), have a square, flat backyard with lots and lots of sun. I want to make the lawn go away as much as possible, but I have to deal with landscaping around a septic system and drain field.

Anyway, if it matters I'm particularly interested in vertical landscaping and am in the Pacific Northwest (Zone 8b). I'm not obsessed with "native only", but I will be checking with the county about invasive species and whatnot.

Thanks in advance!

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 9, 2018

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know what makes this year different from any other, but the squirrels are digging up my annuals like crazy. I had a planter with a few different things in it, and squirrels dug up a wandering Jew and left it for dead atop the soil. Same thing with a little pot I had of a beautiful little fuchsia that had just begun to put out more blooms; this morning I found the pot empty, with soil and withered chunks of fuchsia scattered all around. :( I started the season with seven or eight strawberry plants and I quickly got down to one. I don't know why, and I don't know how to make them stop. I'm super bummed out. I've already resigned myself to not planting any more dahlias, since this is the second year they were absolutely stripped to nothing by some mystery bug.

In brighter lemons-to-lemonade news, I've been taking healthy leaves off my almost-10-year-old Christmas cactus when my cat knocks them off (:argh:) and successfully propagating new babies. I already had one good-sized offshoot; now another has grown a new leaf, and a third is freshly in water (along with a sprig of kalanchoe that's very ready to be rooted).

But speaking of cuttings...

I have I don't know how many offshoots of my original pothos from fall 1995 (still going strong in its original pot) scattered around the house, including several in a bowl of water hanging by my east-facing kitchen window. I have since learned that pothos doesn't enjoy quite that much light, and they're not doing much (and certainly not trailing as I'd hoped they would). I'll gladly pot them and hope for the best; what are your recommendations for a replacement indoors trailing plant, growing in water or in soil, that likes a fair amount of strong light?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Hirayuki posted:

I don't know what makes this year different from any other, but the squirrels are digging up my annuals like crazy. I had a planter with a few different things in it, and squirrels dug up a wandering Jew and left it for dead atop the soil. Same thing with a little pot I had of a beautiful little fuchsia that had just begun to put out more blooms; this morning I found the pot empty, with soil and withered chunks of fuchsia scattered all around. :( I started the season with seven or eight strawberry plants and I quickly got down to one. I don't know why, and I don't know how to make them stop. I'm super bummed out. I've already resigned myself to not planting any more dahlias, since this is the second year they were absolutely stripped to nothing by some mystery bug.

Time to invest in a BB gun? :)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I do have a pretty good water cannon, but I can't get to the little assholes in time. :( And I've never actually caught them in the act.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Maybe something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Hoont-Blaster-Repellent-Activated-Sprinkler/dp/B078R6PRZ6/

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Solkanar512 posted:

Any thoughts on landscape architecture books/sites/sources? I just bought a house (quarter acre lot, mostly back yard), have a square, flat backyard with lots and lots of sun. I want to make the lawn go away as much as possible, but I have to deal with landscaping around a septic system and drain field.

Anyway, if it matters I'm particularly interested in vertical landscaping and am in the Pacific Northwest (Zone 8b). I'm not obsessed with "native only", but I will be checking with the county about invasive species and whatnot.

Thanks in advance!

I'm in California soI read a lot of Sunset magazine articles. Might be too specific to our climate for you but they have a ton of stuff online.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Solkanar512 posted:

Thanks in advance!

Big Dreams, Small Spaces is a British series available on American Netflix that features garden / yard makeovers for (you guessed it) small yards. It's reality TV, but is actually a fun little show that explains how to do landscape design.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

when is Netflix going to bring over all 50 years of gardeners' world

they can't tease us like this

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
Wat is it?

I got a plant for free because somebody returned one in my store from another. We apparently don't carry them and it was going to be thrown away.

Bina fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 15, 2018

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Let me know if there's a better thread for this question.

A little while ago we got a plastic hose reel box. It's kind of a pain in the rear end and the handle falls out frequently. My wife would like one that winds itself because she says it's so heavy/hard to wind, but the one or two they have at Lowe's aren't very well-reviewed. Would a metal reel wind more easily? After a little bit of searching, I've only found one that also has a hose guide so it winds up neatly, which is a little unfortunate.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
A few months ago I was also shopping for a durable (above all else) hose reel/cart and came to the conclusion that I wasn't going to find a good one with a follower. It seems like Eley is on top of the game; but they don't offer such a product and if they did, it'd cost $500. I ended up settling for the Strongway steerable cart from Northern Tool and so far I love it:

It's a lot more stable when winding up a 75' hose than the smaller two-wheeled carts, which frees my other hand to use as a follower. It helps a lot if you already have hose on the reel for weight and with a 400' capacity, there not much reason not to. It hasn't leaked yet (knock on wood). It seems like the steerable cart might be on back order, but there is a fixed wheel version that I'm sure is just as good.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Bina posted:

Wat is it?

I got a plant for free because somebody returned one in my store from another. We apparently don't carry them and it was going to be thrown away.

That's a cute succulent! I'm outside right now but I'll check the name when I come back inside - maybe an echeveria?

Update: I really like the rhododendron we have on the property. It's super huge and overgrown. I spent a bunch of time watching videos about how to care for it and then implementing. Such a beautiful and special plant! :3: I can show some pictures after I mulch.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Shame Boner posted:

A few months ago I was also shopping for a durable (above all else) hose reel/cart and came to the conclusion that I wasn't going to find a good one with a follower. It seems like Eley is on top of the game; but they don't offer such a product and if they did, it'd cost $500. I ended up settling for the Strongway steerable cart from Northern Tool and so far I love it:

It's a lot more stable when winding up a 75' hose than the smaller two-wheeled carts, which frees my other hand to use as a follower. It helps a lot if you already have hose on the reel for weight and with a 400' capacity, there not much reason not to. It hasn't leaked yet (knock on wood). It seems like the steerable cart might be on back order, but there is a fixed wheel version that I'm sure is just as good.

Thanks for the info, but we really don't need a cart. Stationary or wall-mounted for us.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Yesterday I cut down a huge old grape vine that someone was going to throw away because it was in the way of their new house. I transplanted it into a big ol tub, heres hoping it somehow lives and I have a grape tree next year! I feel like grape are prettty hardy so it might work?

Bina posted:

Wat is it?

Looks like some sort of stonecrop to me, echeveria have rosettes

WrenP-Complete posted:

Update: I really like the rhododendron we have on the property. It's super huge and overgrown. I spent a bunch of time watching videos about how to care for it and then implementing. Such a beautiful and special plant! :3: I can show some pictures after I mulch.

I've got some huge old rhodes on mine, they're amazing. They really like me trimming back the dead stuff it seems like

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

just looks like Portulaca to me

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Everyone around here uses the self-coiling hoses, they seem pretty easy:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

vonnegutt posted:

Big Dreams, Small Spaces is a British series available on American Netflix that features garden / yard makeovers for (you guessed it) small yards. It's reality TV, but is actually a fun little show that explains how to do landscape design.

Thanks for this, it’s really a great show!

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
This winter I decided I'll finally buckle down and fix up my balcony and get a nice little container garden growing. Since I don't plan on growing much food beyond some herbs, I thought I'd post here.

I'm in Portland, so zone 8b, and the balcony is south-facing, but shaded by a huge maple tree. Also I have a dumb cat who immediately eats anything green so anything I plant has to be non-poisonous.

Is it hard to grow perennial plants in outdoor containers? Most outdoor containers I see seem to be annuals, and I have a bunch of (dead) annuals my mother in law gave me a few years ago sitting out there. I think it'd be cool to have some native plants/wildflowers in containers on my balcony :3:. I know roses grow well here, too, and I like rose candy so I think I'll try one of those as well, if they aren't too hard.

I've only grown plants in the ground, I don't know poo poo about container gardening.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It's harder because the roots are more prone variations in temperature (too hot and n summer, Frost in the winter) and water (pots dry out quickly, especially terracotta). You'll need to water regularly, feed occasionally and plan for frosts as your climate requires. Just accept that Plants Will Die and enjoy those which you don't murder.

Grow catnip for your cat. That might distract it from all the other plants.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Does anyone have advice on how I could treat a lawn to keep rabbits from eating it?

I'm a new homeowner and my tiny little metro lawn looks atrocious. There are some really patchy spots where it's dead (dirt) or dying (yellow or straight up dead grass). Part of the problem is the fact that the previous owner stopped watering it for like 20 days in July after we agreed to buy the place. Since we moved in two weeks ago, though, I've dethatched, done some pretty substantial weeding, and have been watering appropriately. Because I've spent a lot more time on my hands and knees out there, I've now notice lots of rabbit turds and holes throughout the entire yard. I'd like to put some seed down on the thinning spots, and maybe even overseed the entire lawn, but it seems like I should be applying something that will protect those seeds as they sprout.

I know Home Depot and the like carry Liquid Fence and other chemicals that are intended for garden plants (not sure whether they're appropriate for an entire lawn that I'm trying to water regularly). I've also heard that Rabbits don't like cayenne pepper, so I'm considering making a cayenne and water mix, loading that into a sprayer, and applying it everywhere. Does anyone have any thoughts on these potential solutions, or others?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Blakkout posted:

Does anyone have advice on how I could treat a lawn to keep rabbits from eating it?

I'm a new homeowner and my tiny little metro lawn looks atrocious. There are some really patchy spots where it's dead (dirt) or dying (yellow or straight up dead grass). Part of the problem is the fact that the previous owner stopped watering it for like 20 days in July after we agreed to buy the place. Since we moved in two weeks ago, though, I've dethatched, done some pretty substantial weeding, and have been watering appropriately. Because I've spent a lot more time on my hands and knees out there, I've now notice lots of rabbit turds and holes throughout the entire yard. I'd like to put some seed down on the thinning spots, and maybe even overseed the entire lawn, but it seems like I should be applying something that will protect those seeds as they sprout.

I know Home Depot and the like carry Liquid Fence and other chemicals that are intended for garden plants (not sure whether they're appropriate for an entire lawn that I'm trying to water regularly). I've also heard that Rabbits don't like cayenne pepper, so I'm considering making a cayenne and water mix, loading that into a sprayer, and applying it everywhere. Does anyone have any thoughts on these potential solutions, or others?

Rabbits will be attracted by clover, so if you reduce the amount of that you have it'll help.

For protecting the seed you shouldn't have to worry about it *too* much -- a 1/4" layer of peat moss should do a great job of protecting the seeds from things like birds while also retaining moisture to help them germinate.

To discourage the rabbits, I have no direct experience but this guy generally knows what he's talking about :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qmBmKGxiRE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFw6lvgF2Fc

Seems like he endorses the Cayanne approach. You can ignore the RGS/Humic stuff, but the molassas/ginger is probably a good idea.

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010
Rabbits really shouldn't do much actual damage to a lawn, though they may be a bit of a problem until you've got it rehabilitated because they chew the grass down lower than it likes.

If you wanna post some pictures and your location I might be able to help more.

e: that video looks more like sod webworm damage to me, though I'm not sure where he's located. Looks to be out west somewhere where things may be different. It's possible that everything he put down was just placebo, though, and the lawn recovered just from watering.

DrGonzo90 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 22, 2018

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Unless you need an area for children to run around on, lawns are boring. Just replace it with something more interesting.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

Bina posted:

Wat is it?

My best guess is that it is Portulaca umbraticola, M. Bina. Those are fine plants, indeed! They prefer a lot of sun, though, and they are normally grown as annuals. Is that one in a hanging planter? It sort of looks like it might be, and that's a popular way of growing them. You should water it frequently, though; they tend to sag quickly when dry. Also, they are known to be "self cleaning" inasmuch you won't need to remove spent blooms!

Have a beautiful day my friend!

LOVE,
VITALIS

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

Hubis posted:

Rabbits will be attracted by clover, so if you reduce the amount of that you have it'll help.

For protecting the seed you shouldn't have to worry about it *too* much -- a 1/4" layer of peat moss should do a great job of protecting the seeds from things like birds while also retaining moisture to help them germinate.

To discourage the rabbits, I have no direct experience but this guy generally knows what he's talking about :

Seems like he endorses the Cayanne approach. You can ignore the RGS/Humic stuff, but the molassas/ginger is probably a good idea.

Very helpful. Thanks. I like the material on this guy's channel.

DrGonzo90 posted:

If you wanna post some pictures and your location I might be able to help more.

I'm in Minneapolis. When we toured the place in early June everything was super lush and green. I saw a lawn care company out there spraying something on two separate occasions, so I think they were literally out there like once a week. Between mid-June and mid-July when we agreed to buy the place, I think the owner gave up on watering, fertilizing, and de-weeding. Between mid-July and mid-August, after we purchased but before we actually moved in, I did my best to water when I could, but I'm sure it wasn't enough. By the time I actually moved in a week ago, the weeds were pretty extensive and most of the grass was dying or dead. As I mentioned, I dethatched and pulled weeds for about 6 hours, which is why there are so many spots that are now completely bare. I prepared those areas for seeding, put some fresh top soil down, and seeded five days ago. I've been watering the new seed every day since then, and am putting down about 1/2" of water on the entire lawn per week now. Other than mowing, that's all that I've done. I'd be receptive to fertilizing or other chemical treatment, but I don't really know where to start with that.

This is my first lawn ever, so any tips on how to get this moving in the right direction would be appreciated. I don't need it to look like a golf course, but right now it's just downright embarrassing.

I can add more photos, or photos showing more detail, but this is how it looks everywhere:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blakkout fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 23, 2018

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's harder because the roots are more prone variations in temperature (too hot and n summer, Frost in the winter) and water (pots dry out quickly, especially terracotta). You'll need to water regularly, feed occasionally and plan for frosts as your climate requires. Just accept that Plants Will Die and enjoy those which you don't murder.

Grow catnip for your cat. That might distract it from all the other plants.

When I say he is a dumb cat, I mean he is a really big moron. In the last few months he's tried to eat lillies and he makes a loving bee line for anything even remotely plant shaped.

I will grow him some nip, though. And he's also going to get a little grass bed to lay in/eat because he's a spoiled moron.

Is it possible to insulate potted plants at all? Like if you can cut it back/cover the plant, and wrap the pot in insulation. Our Winters are generally pretty mild, my bigger concern would be everything dying in summer heatwaves. But I guess I can just.... enjoy them while it lasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Oh hey, I suppose this is a gardening tip too since you're digging. If you want to plant something and you're worried about where your utilities might be buried, call 811 first. It's free and works in all 50 states. Surveyors will come out and mark where all of your buried utility lines are located. Very helpful if you just moved into a new house.