Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
Be careful of the cold pavement. It might be warm out, but your tires will still be hard as pucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The Rotary Eagle has landed in Calgary and warmed its way into my dad's heart enough that it's earned one night in my parent's garage.

Special thanks to Slungblade, Master of Towing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

The Rotary Eagle has landed in Calgary and warmed its way into my dad's heart enough that it's earned one night in my parent's garage.
I did not expect this. What's the plan for reviving it within a day?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The plan is that it'll probably be moved to the street tomorrow and I'll start work on it next weekend. But the fact that she earned one night is a positive sign that I may get some assistance on this one.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

1500quidporsche posted:

My pleasure man, post pics.

I'm fuckin beat though.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Sorry I wasn't in town to assist in loading. Glad that you guys made it back safely.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

1500quidporsche posted:

Awesome!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Forgot to take pictures at my parent's last night. Here she is all loaded up:

Most of the issues seem related to the interior. While the pop up headlights work, the backlighting on the instrument panel does not. That's probably going to be the first thing I take a stab at after fixing the brakes and slapping those bushings in.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's awesome man. You should consolidate your history on it and start a project thread on that for those that don't troll the Alberta forum. Granted it's (hopefully) not going to be a huge project, but I'd read it.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

slidebite posted:

That's awesome man. You should consolidate your history on it and start a project thread on that for those that don't troll the Alberta forum. Granted it's (hopefully) not going to be a huge project, but I'd read it.

Yeah, please post a thread. Once I have more time, I'll dig out my wiperless hatch for you. I'll also post up the part numbers for the two companies who make louvers.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

slidebite posted:

Granted it's (hopefully) not going to be a huge project, but I'd read it.

As much as I love the insane build or restoration threads I also love the smaller ones that actually come to a conclusion

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

1500quidporsche posted:

Forgot to take pictures at my parent's last night. Here she is all loaded up:

Most of the issues seem related to the interior. While the pop up headlights work, the backlighting on the instrument panel does not. That's probably going to be the first thing I take a stab at after fixing the brakes and slapping those bushings in.

Here's a couple I took to supplement. gently caress am I ever glad I bought this truck, it's perfect for things like this.

Man, I really hope this is how you're supposed to do it. I have no idea. It worked I guess.

Here it is in Red Deer, ~halfway home and 90% covered in road ooze.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

As requested, I've made a little thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761517

McTinkerson and Slungblade if you don't mind I may quote your posts in there with the majority of the pictures.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

1500quidporsche posted:

As requested, I've made a little thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761517

McTinkerson and Slungblade if you don't mind I may quote your posts in there with the majority of the pictures.

gently caress yeah man, go for it. You want the high res originals? I can email them to you.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Either or would work. I wouldn't mind the originals anyways because I would like to kind of document this one's journey as opposed to all my previous cars where they just get to a point where suddenly they aren't a pile of hot garbage.

Also holy hell I just noticed the camber on the passenger rear tire from your last photo.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

1500quidporsche posted:

Either or would work. I wouldn't mind the originals anyways because I would like to kind of document this one's journey as opposed to all my previous cars where they just get to a point where suddenly they aren't a pile of hot garbage.

Also holy hell I just noticed the camber on the passenger rear tire from your last photo.

Ehh, keep in mind we had it strapped down pretty good. There was a lot of tension in that system.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Your truck is awesome Slung. It's legitimately the workhorse of our dumb projects.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I have forgotten the details about Slung's truck. Is it the 2500? It looks like Chevy's answer to the 2007 F150 4x4 I drove in the summer as our work truck (I *should* be able to get re-aquainted with Cheryl this summer), but after that earlier discussion of the stupidity of the 1/2 / 3/4 / full-ton truck naming convention I'm guessing the 2500 / 250 level is more appropriate for towing (as pictured) and the 1500 / 150 is more comfortable for taking a crew and a light load back and forth to the worksite. We're not allowed to tow anything with a university-owned vehicle in any case :(

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah, it's a 3/4 ton 2500hd. 6.0L with a 4L80E and 4x4. 220ish thousand km.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
You missed the six speed by half a year.

I finally got my $2100 Regal Auctions truck in good enough shape to actually do something useful: Towing my Regal Auctions trailer!

I'm about $800 into trailer repairs but so far so good. Brakes, shocks, trailer plug, furnace guts and a new top on one slide. Trailers are way cheaper to fix than cars.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hey you YYC area guys with a trailer:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/need-gone-asap-750-1994-cadillac-sts/1135671126?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I'll call Saul.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Anybody wanting a mint 1980s Mercedes station wagon should keep their eyes peeled because the one at my building is currently on the back of an AMA truck, and I'm assuming that given the number of children the woman has that there's no way she's going to be able to afford to fix that thing unless she's some sort of Bosch Jetronic wizard.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

1500quidporsche posted:

unless she's some sort of Bosch Jetronic wizard.

You called?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Holee poo poo the reserve prices on Regal Auctions consignment cars tonight.

$10,000 reserve for a US-market Audi A3 FWD with body damage and 96,000 miles on the odometer.

$12,200 reserve for a 2008 X3!

$10,500 reserve on a 2008 Chevy 1500 extended cab!

$5,500 reserve on a '09 Mazda5 auto with body damage!

If you're putting your car in at Regal Auctions and expecting to get retail prices or better out of an auction I've got news for you!

I want to be a fly on the wall during at least one of the conversations where the winning bidder on that X3 is $3,800.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

When I was looking at trucks last year I went to a regal auction and I don't recall seeing a single vehicle meet reserve. I'd love to know what percentage of those sell versus going right back to the dealership's used lot.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Speaking of auctions, the old lady's brother in law is the main decision maker for the used section of a major dealership. He let me take a peak at the inter-dealership auction across canada. I don't know what it's called, but THAT is where all the gems are hiding.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

Speaking of auctions, the old lady's brother in law is the main decision maker for the used section of a major dealership. He let me take a peak at the inter-dealership auction across canada. I don't know what it's called, but THAT is where all the gems are hiding.

Doesn't surprise me. I was talking to a coworker who has friend-of-the-family connections into all number of sketchy Polish flip shops and they get some incredible deals at the dealer-only auctions.

I would not mind getting me some of that.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

$10,500 reserve on a 2008 Chevy 1500 extended cab!

Holy fuckin :lol:
Those guys are delusional.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Doesn't surprise me. I was talking to a coworker who has friend-of-the-family connections into all number of sketchy Polish flip shops and they get some incredible deals at the dealer-only auctions.

I would not mind getting me some of that.

Yeah, a guy I work with has family connections to it as well, and he's looking for a new SUV. He's shown me a few of the cherry picked ones and sweet Jesus that's where all the nice cars are.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They also get a full mechanical inspection report before bidding.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Yes, that sounds like something I need in on. Maybe if I changed my name to MrChipski and take up chain smoking as a hobby they will let me in...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They made it a lot harder to get a dealer's license. the big auction in alberta is adesa and they're pretty tight lipped about everything.

US money is loving us uuuuuuuup. $1.40 for $1 is like cheating. A new car market of 30,000,000 people feeding a used car market of 300,000,000 means they can basically buy as many vehicles as they can haul down there. There's going to be a huge gap in used vehicles, primarily pickup trucks. In 3 years, our used market is probably going to be tons of 00-08s, and absolutely nothing else. It's like cash for clunkers only taking the good used cars away instead of the lovely ones.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

They made it a lot harder to get a dealer's license. the big auction in alberta is adesa and they're pretty tight lipped about everything.

US money is loving us uuuuuuuup. $1.40 for $1 is like cheating. A new car market of 30,000,000 people feeding a used car market of 300,000,000 means they can basically buy as many vehicles as they can haul down there. There's going to be a huge gap in used vehicles, primarily pickup trucks. In 3 years, our used market is probably going to be tons of 00-08s, and absolutely nothing else. It's like cash for clunkers only taking the good used cars away instead of the lovely ones.

I'll assume adesa is what the brother in law uses, what I do remember is the mobile app is loving slick!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

+12, sunny, a little breezy but nothing crazy. Enough time to bring it out of hibernation and put on about 30k before dinner

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

an insane Lethbridger posted:

a little breezy but nothing crazy.

All things are relative...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

LOL true, but I think it really was only 30Kph or something.

Lethbridge wind story. Few years ago, my wifes best friends dad had a 911 that he got in a not so serious accident with. Since it was his crisis toy, he paid extra to get the whole car painted on not just the panels and a blend. Something like a $10K paint job or some drat thing. Anyhow, the day the car was ready and he went downtown to the bodyshop to pick it up. Drove back home (westside, otherside of the river) and as he was making it up the west side hill a massive gust hit him, I think he said around 120Kph. Considering he would been doing at least 80, if not 100, he probably had the equiv of a 200K+ blast. Completely sandblasted/pitted the gently caress out of his freshly painted Porsche. Even cracked his windshield with rocks it picked up. He didn't even go home, just turned around at the top of the hill and drove it back to the body shop.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
Hey did one of you guys wind up buying that Mazda Cosmo my buddy was selling? Some guy from the US bought it, which seems odd considering it was only posted on local Kijiji. I figured an AI'er might have saw the post and scooped it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
There's a lot of US guys cruising local 'jeej because they want that sweet, sweet 40% discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

slidebite posted:

+12, sunny, a little breezy but nothing crazy. Enough time to bring it out of hibernation and put on about 30k before dinner

People were looking at me funny for the shorts and sandals.