Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I long for the days when our mods were a marxoteen from new zealand and an israeli apologist.

At least the marxoteen was just a joke gimmick.

And tolerable.

edit: Dogge

In any case, we can probably draw down the guy's death to a mistake over malice (Although you'd have to be hilariously naive to not attribute malice). At least they surrendered the body instead of throwing away the corpse and handing over some random bones like the last time.

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

fishmech posted:

I think the least likely thing in the North Korea story about his condition, at this point, is that he was in the coma for a whole year plus. I think it's more likely that he only slipped into it recently, which is why they finally contacted the US about it to get him off their hands.

the tests doctors ran on him here showed he had been in a vegetative state since april of 2016

edit: found the story. exams also showed no evidence of trauma, fracture or malnourishment

R. Guyovich fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 24, 2017

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I long for the days when our mods were a marxoteen from new zealand and an israeli apologist.

do you know what quotation marks are

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The other thing the doctors made clear was that the DPRK doctors probably went through great lengths to restart the guy's heart. I don't think it will ever be known what really happened.

In other news ROK Moon has vowed to eliminate nuclear power from his country.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

What exactly are Korea's power options? From what I recall, it's not close enough to the Ring of Fire to rely on Geothermal. I do remember visiting a big rear end dam around Chuncheon, but again hydro power is limited through geological means. So we're either seeing a fallback to fossil fuels (Which has a slight chance of causing supply issues if China starts to strangle the South Seas, amongst the usual poo poo that surrounds FF) or Wind/Solar power, which probably isn't going to work with the level of power demand across the country.

It's a pity, really. What with Trump having his acorn cock sucked off by the usual powers, I can't really rely on the US to spearhead gen IV nuclear reactors (Particularly the LFTR series).

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

WarpedNaba posted:

What exactly are Korea's power options? From what I recall, it's not close enough to the Ring of Fire to rely on Geothermal. I do remember visiting a big rear end dam around Chuncheon, but again hydro power is limited through geological means. So we're either seeing a fallback to fossil fuels (Which has a slight chance of causing supply issues if China starts to strangle the South Seas, amongst the usual poo poo that surrounds FF) or Wind/Solar power, which probably isn't going to work with the level of power demand across the country.

It's a pity, really. What with Trump having his acorn cock sucked off by the usual powers, I can't really rely on the US to spearhead gen IV nuclear reactors (Particularly the LFTR series).

He said he's going to expand renewables so that SK at some point in the future will eventually hopefully become a renewable-powered nation. This is obviously unrealistic within the 30 years or so of back-to-back closures it will take to shut the existing reactors down (30% of electricity), on top of his other vow of also eliminating coal (another 40% of electricity) without just covering the country in gas power stations (he has admitted this may become necessary) which would overall probably result in zero improvement in CO2 emissions, same as in Germany's shambolic attempt to do a nuclear exit and reduce CO2 emissions at the same time.

I suspect he just doesn't like nuclear power on principle and probably got a bit overly scared after Fukushima as well and is now doing a politically and emotionally-driven nuclear exit while hoping things will work out rather than trying to solve any particular problem.

R&D-wise SK exiting nuclear power is sad in that SK has until now focused on standardising its reactors and making them cheap and affordable with much greater success than most other nuclear countries, making them an example of how to roll out a bunch of overgrown conventional reactors without breaking the bank in case SMR projects in US/Canada/UK/China get bogged down. They don't seem to have cared very much about Gen IV reactors other than recent noises (no actual reactors) about wanting to burn down used fuel in fast reactors though, probably because Gen II/III are already adequate if you just want to put some electricity in the grid without spending money on not strictly necessary bells and whistles.

e: the main development in fast reactors is currently happening in glorious Mother Russia anyway, they just got finished starting up the BN800 breeder and now committed to finishing up their BN1200 design and starting to build two within a decade, probably because Rosatom seem to be able to just do whatever the gently caress they want without being micromanaged

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 24, 2017

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
They're going to make a lot of noise about green energy, and the big power company there has covered all of their equipment in ads depicting smiling children frolicking in green fields next to solar and wind farms for a few years now.

In practice, well, they've started methane hydrate exploration, and they're probably just going to end up strip mining the ocean for the stuff. They'll probably be burning the hell out of it in 15 years, and I've heard the term "Korea will be the Saudi of methane energy" used at least once. I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that would not be a good development for climate change!

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

R. Guyovich posted:

the tests doctors ran on him here showed he had been in a vegetative state since april of 2016

edit: found the story. exams also showed no evidence of trauma, fracture or malnourishment

Of course, lack of signs of trauma and malnourishment doesn't eliminate physical mistreatment as a cause, particularly after such a long time. They conclude that there is no evidence of botulism in the article, though, and that his condition may have been caused by drug overdose (intentional or otherwise) or trauma.

Edit: They also don't conclude he's been like this since April based on their tests. They examined images on a disk provided by North Korea with notations on them indicating April and July 2016, and flat out say they can't really verify the dates the images were taken.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 24, 2017

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Warbadger posted:

Of course, lack of signs of trauma and malnourishment doesn't eliminate physical mistreatment as a cause, particularly after such a long time. They conclude that there is no evidence of botulism in the article, though, and that his condition may have been caused by drug overdose (intentional or otherwise) or trauma.

Edit: They also don't conclude he's been like this since April based on their tests. They examined images on a disk provided by North Korea with notations on them indicating April and July 2016, and flat out say they can't really verify the dates the images were taken.

“There are two scans on the disc. They are dated April and July of 2016. Of course, we can’t verify that," said Dr. Daniel Kanter. "His current scan is consistent with evolution of changes that were visible on those scans."

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
You can roughly tell how long someone has been in a coma for because the body starts removing the dead and damaged cells. Plus, human bodies never heal perfectly, there is always some evidence of damage from torture etc. They can identify healed injuries on thousand year old bog bodies. This is why everyone keeps suggesting water boarding because it doesn't injure in the first place.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The also likely check bone density and muscle atrophy since if you dont use it you lose it.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I was gonna say, after a year of a coma you'd have measurable atrophy in muscle mass.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

WarpedNaba posted:

I was gonna say, after a year of a coma you'd have measurable atrophy in muscle mass.

Yeah and as a fraternity member they probably have plenty of eyewitnesses who can compare his body now to his naked body from before he left rhe US

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
It had to happen sooner or later:

http://www.news.com.au/world/north-...7e39f32a8093e8c

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

R. Guyovich posted:

“There are two scans on the disc. They are dated April and July of 2016. Of course, we can’t verify that," said Dr. Daniel Kanter. "His current scan is consistent with evolution of changes that were visible on those scans."

Yes, that is what they said, and doesn't imply their tests confirmed he's been like that since April. Hence the whole "We can't verify that" part.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Further proof that Delaware has no right to exist.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

To be fair, "he's a dumb frat bro who probably never had to face a real problem in his life, he thought he could get away with it in the most oppressive country on the planet, it ended badly for him. who could have possibly seen that one coming :rolleyes:" is an accurate take, even if she turned it into a poor attempt at a hot take.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

blowfish posted:

To be fair, "he's a dumb frat bro who probably never had to face a real problem in his life, he thought he could get away with it in the most oppressive country on the planet, it ended badly for him. who could have possibly seen that one coming :rolleyes:" is an accurate take, even if she turned it into a poor attempt at a hot take.

She isn't saying he could have seen it coming, she's saying he deserved it in pretty clear wording along with an implication that white men get away with things they'd never get away with in NK. On that note she's not familiar with North Korea w/r/t getting away with rape (though, to be fair, I suppose the rapes are not committed by white males there). Even in the South, Korean culture is comparatively super patriarchal and rape is recognized as a big issue.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 26, 2017

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Warbadger posted:

She isn't saying he could have seen it coming, she's saying he deserved it in pretty clear wording along with an implication that white men get away with things they'd never get away with in NK. On that note she's not familiar with North Korea w/r/t getting away with rape (though, to be fair, I suppose the rapes are not committed by white males there). Even in the South, Korean culture is comparatively super patriarchal and rape is recognized as a big issue.

I think she probably just made a mistake airing frustration publicly. Some of my family members teach in an ultra rich school district, where pro players and CEOs send their kids, and after a couple years they just get worn down by those kids. They just completely lack any kind of, not sure what you would call it, but like social situational defense. Like just getting into a car with a stranger and disappearing overnight and calling in 3 states away, driving two hours away and getting gas in the worst areas of that city and getting car jacked, etc. Its like a monthly occurrence there of poo poo that never ever went down at my high school. Each time it happens they have a unit prepared that the teacher's give the kids and they never believe that stuff can be risky. Nearly everyone in the high school has personal maids to bring them back and forth to their activities, and then try to be a teacher coming from a middle class or lower class background. It's like trying to relate to aliens. Going by what happens in that district this incident is only going to make those kinds of kids want to head over there even more.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Uncle Jam posted:

I think she probably just made a mistake airing frustration publicly. Some of my family members teach in an ultra rich school district, where pro players and CEOs send their kids, and after a couple years they just get worn down by those kids. They just completely lack any kind of, not sure what you would call it, but like social situational defense. Like just getting into a car with a stranger and disappearing overnight and calling in 3 states away, driving two hours away and getting gas in the worst areas of that city and getting car jacked, etc. Its like a monthly occurrence there of poo poo that never ever went down at my high school. Each time it happens they have a unit prepared that the teacher's give the kids and they never believe that stuff can be risky. Nearly everyone in the high school has personal maids to bring them back and forth to their activities, and then try to be a teacher coming from a middle class or lower class background. It's like trying to relate to aliens. Going by what happens in that district this incident is only going to make those kinds of kids want to head over there even more.

Affluenza is a serious problem and these people need our sympathy and coddling.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Uncle Jam posted:

Going by what happens in that district this incident is only going to make those kinds of kids want to head over there even more.

If there were a way to make this happen without giving North Korea hard currency and bargaining chips, I think it would be an ideal result.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Time to organise Fyre Festival 2?

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!

blowfish posted:

The professors statement is a total non-sequitur. Otto has never been accused of rape and everything we know about him makes him sound like a studious kid. The amount of projection going on here is astounding.

Thats even assuming you put faith in North koreas justice system. Which i do not.

EasternBronze fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 26, 2017

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

blowfish posted:

Yeah, it's a stopped watch scenario.

I seem to be saying that a lot lately.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

WarpedNaba posted:

Yeah, it's a stopped watch scenario.

I seem to be saying that a lot lately.

No it isnt. Some random tourist being killed in prison after a show trial under nebulous circumstances by a totalitarian dictatorship isnt deserved no matter how many negative traits you project onto the victim.

Did your high school bully wear a white jacket or what is your deal here?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

EasternBronze posted:

No it isnt. Some random tourist being killed in prison after a show trial under nebulous circumstances by a totalitarian dictatorship isnt deserved no matter how many negative traits you project onto the victim.

Did your high school bully wear a white jacket or what is your deal here?

He was a white male and therefore deserved to die, idgi, what's the problem here?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I kinda position people going on dystopian tours in totalitarian states for shits and giggles with the same levels of sympathy as someone who drinks an entire bottle of Jack and then plays Russian Roulette with a Sig on livestream. To speak nothing of my bewilderment when the usual sorts come in and claim such people cannot be assigned accountability for the inevitable result.

But hey, diff'rent strokes.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
play stupid games, win stupid prizes

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

WarpedNaba posted:

I kinda position people going on dystopian tours in totalitarian states for shits and giggles with the same levels of sympathy as someone who drinks an entire bottle of Jack and then plays Russian Roulette with a Sig on livestream. To speak nothing of my bewilderment when the usual sorts come in and claim such people cannot be assigned accountability for the inevitable result.

But hey, diff'rent strokes.

Nobody is arguing that this wasn't predictable or that Otto didn't make a mind bogglingly stupid decision by visiting NK. Only that the idiot didn't "deserve" 15 years hard labor and a coma over a (possibly) stolen poster.

I think an insufferable tourist stealing a $5 MAGA hat in Alabama should be held accountable for it. I don't think they should be sent to rot in ultramax prison, then put in a coma after being drugged/beaten/pushed to suicide.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 26, 2017

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

No matter whether it's just or in any way defensible for Best Korea to torture even the dumbest loving tourist, "idiot does stupid thing that obviously might get him hurt, gets hurt" is funny :colbert:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'm not spilling any tears over the guy, particularly when there are hundreds/thousands of innocent people in North Korea's prisons that die every year that, unlike Otto, had no control over their situations whatsoever. But he definitely didn't deserve what happened to him.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

blowfish posted:

No matter whether it's just or in any way defensible for Best Korea to torture even the dumbest loving tourist, "idiot does stupid thing that obviously might get him hurt, gets hurt" is funny :colbert:

There is absolutely zero evidence for torture please do not slander the DPRK

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

There is absolutely zero evidence for torture please do not slander the DPRK

It just occurs to me that 'Get out of probe free' tokens should probably be a thing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

EasternBronze posted:

The professors statement is a total non-sequitur. Otto has never been accused of rape and everything we know about him makes him sound like a studious kid. The amount of projection going on here is astounding.
From the fact that he was somehow the "managing director" of an "alternative investment fund," I surmise that I probably wouldn't like Otto if I'd known him. But I don't want everyone I personally dislike to be sent to death camps.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

Let's just remember there is literally zero evidence Otto did anything, besides the north Korean criminal justice system.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Well, he definitely went to North Korea as a tourist and was attested to have gotten drunk there (although apparently that was also part of the point of the tour, which also seems incredibly stupid) by other tourists. Whether or not he broke North Korean law/ whether doing so warrants an impossibly hard sentence, he did definitely do something pretty dumb.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

We have already established he was drunk, maybe now we should discuss what he was wearing that may be at fault.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
willingly going on a vacation to one of the most oppressive regimes on the planet is not comparable to rape

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Koramei posted:

willingly going on a vacation to one of the most oppressive regimes on the planet is not comparable to rape

Anime av invalidates a seemingly good post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

EasternBronze posted:

We have already established he was drunk, maybe now we should discuss what he was wearing that may be at fault.
This is real fuckin bad dude