Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Asuron posted:

He can take out his own heart and performed surgery on himself to remove the sickness he had, so I'd say yes he can

Oh, right, forgot about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I wonder what Buggy's abilities would look like if he were able to develop it competently like Luffy did with his powers? On the surface, Luffy would seem like a chump with being a Rubber man versus someone like Whitebeard where the advantages of being a Quake man are obvious; but of course Luffy is good at making clever use of his resources.

I'd imagine Foxy awakening his abilities would make him literally Dio Brando from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure in using Za Warudo to freeze time for everything in the vicinity.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I wonder what Buggy's abilities would look like if he were able to develop it competently like Luffy did with his powers? On the surface, Luffy would seem like a chump with being a Rubber man versus someone like Whitebeard where the advantages of being a Quake man are obvious; but of course Luffy is good at making clever use of his resources.

I'd imagine Foxy awakening his abilities would make him literally Dio Brando from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure in using Za Warudo to freeze time for everything in the vicinity.

Buggy slices his body and limbs up into really small slices.

He attaches each slice to a building or whatever and fuses with his surroundings become a giant. Sorta like Pika.

Kinda like what he's pretending to do post timeskip but much stronger.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Buggy slices his body and limbs up into really small slices.

He attaches each slice to a building or whatever and fuses with his surroundings become a giant. Sorta like Pika.

Kinda like what he's pretending to do post timeskip but much stronger.

Or maybe the inverse: Buggy is able to project his powers into nearby buildings and people and split them like a pseudo-ROOM/Shambles ability.

Awakening speculation is fun! :neckbeard:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Foxy's awakening turns the environment into a Colosseum filled with trap rooms and overcomplicated machinery in which Foxy holds games and shoots Noro Noro beams occasionally.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Bisse posted:

Foxy's awakening turns the environment into a Colosseum filled with trap rooms and overcomplicated machinery in which Foxy holds games and shoots Noro Noro beams occasionally.

also he has a fishbowl on his head.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
If buggy awakened his devil fruit he would be able to deconstruct ideas via the application of critical theory & show that the opposite reading is true.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Awakening devil fruits should basically be like how half of Marvel's mutants are reality warpers who have mental blocks on their abilities, like Iceman whose power is actually total temperature control including chilling things to absolute zero and poo poo but he thinks it's ice so he can only do ice things.

When Luffy awakens his fruit he should be able to teleport by making the distance between two points elastic and pulling those points in space together

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Work Friend Keven posted:

If buggy awakened his devil fruit he would be able to deconstruct ideas via the application of critical theory & show that the opposite reading is true.

He would be able to split atoms and cause nuclear explosions at will.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Begemot posted:

He would be able to split atoms and cause nuclear explosions at will.

That would actually have synergy with his muggy ball/bomb

KoB
May 1, 2009

Work Friend Keven posted:

Buggy is Oda.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Would Robin's awakened fruit enable her to duplicate another person's body anywhere? She could put an opponents head in front of her and beat them up with no risk.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Broseph Brostar posted:

Would Robin's awakened fruit enable her to duplicate another person's body anywhere? She could put an opponents head in front of her and beat them up with no risk.

Robin's fruit is so overpowered... hard to feel like she's not already awakened

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

AnonSpore posted:

When Luffy awakens his fruit he should be able to teleport by making the distance between two points elastic and pulling those points in space together

He's been able to do this the whole time, but it's Luffy so he doesn't do mysterious things like that.

Broseph Brostar posted:

I don't know about another person, he ability seems to only make copies of her body parts. Her ability to apparently make full clones now though has a decent possibility of being the awakened version of her fruit.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
You would think Rayleigh would be aware of Devil Fruit Awakening as a concept and help Luffy get into the know.

Maybe Roger's crew mainly relied on Haki to get by in the New World and didn't really deal in Devil Fruit powers? But Rayleigh still seemed familiar with Luffy's rubber powers, sooo... :iiam:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

You would think Rayleigh would be aware of Devil Fruit Awakening as a concept and help Luffy get into the know.

Maybe Roger's crew mainly relied on Haki to get by in the New World and didn't really deal in Devil Fruit powers? But Rayleigh still seemed familiar with Luffy's rubber powers, sooo... :iiam:

Considering the flashback to when Buggy ate his fruit, it seemed like none of them had eaten one. Of course there's no telling when in the timeline that actually took place.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Rayleigh probably figured Luffy would eventually work it out himself, being awakened might not be as big a game breaker as we currently think.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

only zoans should be able to be awakened. frankly

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

oddium posted:

only zoans should be able to be awakened. frankly

A Zoan like Lucci awakening.... that is scary

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Turning everything around him into cats...

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

dazoner posted:

Robin's fruit is so overpowered... hard to feel like she's not already awakened

Not really, she receives the damage from her extra limbs and they're only as strong as she is.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Stallion Cabana posted:

also he has a fishbowl on his head.
Foxy's a celestial dragon?! :eyepop:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RatHat posted:

Not really, she receives the damage from her extra limbs and they're only as strong as she is.

Individually. However she can also spam thousands and thousands of the things and merge them together into giant constructs. Her giant feet and arms things seem to operate on the same logic as Luffy's Gear 3 in that if it's as big as a giant it's as strong as a giant.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Gyges posted:

Individually. However she can also spam thousands and thousands of the things and merge them together into giant constructs. Her giant feet and arms things seem to operate on the same logic as Luffy's Gear 3 in that if it's as big as a giant it's as strong as a giant.

at least robin's giant limbs are actually dense enough for that to make sense. gear 3 still bugs me with how goofy it is that punching with giant balloon arms is somehow effective

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

have you ever been hit by a tire

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Astro Ambulance posted:

at least robin's giant limbs are actually dense enough for that to make sense. gear 3 still bugs me with how goofy it is that punching with giant balloon arms is somehow effective

It's kind of a suspension of belief, but maybe the air for Gear 3 is super condensed so it actually increases density to be more like an actual giant's fist.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I wonder if Franky uses Luffy as a pressure washer to clean the Sunny...

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

It's kind of a suspension of belief, but maybe the air for Gear 3 is super condensed so it actually increases density to be more like an actual giant's fist.

Basketballs are filled with air and I wouldn't want to get hit in the face with one.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Spanish Matlock posted:

Basketballs are filled with air and I wouldn't want to get hit in the face with one.
If you melted down the rubber that makes up a basketball into a solid ball and threatened to throw that in my face... I'd rather be hit in the face by the inflated basketball.

(Gear 3 doesn't make sense, but that's okay. It's loving cool.)

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHEtKzYBiyA

Or I could argue popeye physics

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
His arm gets filled with magic, not air, silly.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

the explanation i use to justify it to myself is that when the air enters his body, it turns into rubber; becoming much denser. gear 4 works the same way.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Something something haki

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I wonder what Oda's planning to do with this arc. Any other one would turn out with the usual 'here's a bad man who shows up and breaks things, and Luffy + crew has to do something about it', etc.

This time though the Big Bad, Jake the Drought, done and hosed himself over by getting his dumb rear end captured by the marines. The Straw Hats showed up and saved an entire Nation from extinction, and now we've got Big Mom antics taking center stage.

Color me curious. I think Kaidou is gonna be put on hold for a bit since one of his head honchos is captured or whatnot. Makes me wonder if Zou was a clever way of diffusing tensions between Big Mom's posse breathing down the Straw Hat crew's neck while they recuperate their battle strategy. Maybe there's no big conflict gonna happen here, it's just a way to set the stage for a massive exposition dump so the next arc will be more action focused.

Oda does a really great job of learning from his mistakes from the previous arc, or at the very least attempting something new even when he's set the standards really high from prior story arcs. If Dressrosa had one glaring flaw, it was that it was just too much padding before the delivery, and he tried to expound upon it in one massive arc. I think the Baroque Works saga had the benefit of decompressing its story across the smaller island stops, while Doflamingo antics were all rolled up in a story arc-and-a-half.

I feel like Zou could be his attempt to 'trim the fat' of the exposition without slowing down the pacing in the future. Maybe we don't need to see a conflict between Jake and the SHs, just some insight on what kind of force their dealing with here, the aftermath of what happens to people who get in the way, and arduous clean-up process it takes to get a civilization back on the path to recovery.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Jack didn't get captured, he's just assumed dead.

Wanda herself pretty much says that while newspapers make claims of Jack's death, she doesn't believe that this is true, having seen his strength for herself.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Well, she also doesn't know that Jack ran right the gently caress into Fujitora and Sengoku.

Knowing how badly he fucks up does nothing but positive things for that flashback :allears:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Oh Snapple! posted:

Well, she also doesn't know that Jack ran right the gently caress into Fujitora and Sengoku.

Knowing how badly he fucks up does nothing but positive things for that flashback :allears:

Um...

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am very good at remembering useless poo poo, please do not test my useless One Piece chapter / panel knowledge.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

gear 3rd actually makes fine sense, gear 2nd is the dumb one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

oddium posted:

gear 3rd actually makes fine sense, gear 2nd is the dumb one

Neither of them makes sense. Most other Luffy's moves don't really make sense either.