Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Endie posted:

Yeah, other people suggested doing it with enforcing pap links for waffe or whatever but I thought - and still think - that it needs some cultural figure who is active, has tons of time and ideally who can FC to get people all enthused by leading from the front, logging-in etc. Durr was the example I had in mind but PL also have much the same gig going on, particularly with Snigg.

Cult of personalities seems to lead to obscenely fast burnout, either with eve in general or with the group you belong to. I suppose it depends quite a bit on the environment but it seems to be quite the double edged sword to rely on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facultas
Jan 2, 2004

No design, no conception.
The unsaid bit Weaselior didn't elaborate upon was that Endie and BAT were recruiting from SMA. Just sayin'. And he couldn't even manage to do that in a deniable fashion.

Not sure why Endie wanted to be CEO so badly either, it's a pretty poo poo job.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Endie posted:

Yeah, other people suggested doing it with enforcing pap links for waffe or whatever but I thought - and still think - that it needs some cultural figure who is active, has tons of time and ideally who can FC to get people all enthused by leading from the front, logging-in etc. Durr was the example I had in mind but PL also have much the same gig going on, particularly with Snigg.

what the gently caress

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

facultas posted:

The unsaid bit Weaselior didn't elaborate upon was that Endie and BAT were recruiting from SMA. Just sayin'. And he couldn't even manage to do that in a deniable fashion.

Not sure why Endie wanted to be CEO so badly either, it's a pretty poo poo job.

Not suprised Sion animename has some fuckin hanzo steel in his forums av.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Percelus posted:

Good job describing boat

There is a difference between someone who is willing to lose endless interceptor fleets in the wrong region without burning out, and someone who actually has the mental capacity and charisma to lead an alliance to victory.

DBRB isn't your George Washington, he's more like putting the autistic guy in charge that makes those Sonic and Pikachi fanfics.

On the other hand you making this statement completely makes sense given the other terrible things you've said so far.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 5, 2016

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Endie posted:

Goons need a warrior-king ATM, not a bureaucrat, when people are kicking their door in. Mittanis are fine for slow-burn wars, and prosecuting wars in foreign lands, but when the hordes are in your house taking a dump on your coffee table, you need an active leader who will pull alongside you, fight, and FC etc.

Warrior-kings are also notoriously bad at leading alliances when you're not under existential threat, so :shrug:

Basically we need DJ back, but he ain't coming back.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 5, 2016

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Deofuta posted:

Cult of personalities seems to lead to obscenely fast burnout, either with eve in general or with the group you belong to. I suppose it depends quite a bit on the environment but it seems to be quite the double edged sword to rely on this.

it worked pretty good back in 2007 or whatever. poo poo is kinda boring now and theres no epsilon or gamma to gently caress around with because everyone plays loving dota.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Kimsemus posted:

There is a difference between someone who is willing to lose endless interceptor fleets in the wrong region without burning out, and someone who actually has the mental capacity and charisma to lead an alliance to victory.

DBRB isn't your George Washington, he's more like putting the autistic guy in charge that makes those Sonic and Pikachi fanfics.

Yet somehow boat has played a crucial part in more winning wars than arguably anyone, funny how that works out.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

poo poo, Goonwaffe is still disinterested and inactive. I came back expecting you know, rousing speeches from leadership trying to get everyone to log in and pull their loving weight after living the high life/horny whiteboy life, what I got was Mittani flailing about for words for about 5 and a half minutes, and a mild uptick in amount of fleet pings. Goonwaffe proper is definitely sleeping while the Imperium collapses around them.

Cue someone coming in to call me on it because I'm not toeing the party line, or said something unpopular.

The closest thing I can draw a comparison to is the French and the Maginot Line.

Nobody gives a poo poo about you so why would they urge you to have one opinion over another?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Not suprised Sion animename has some fuckin hanzo steel in his forums av.

I always thought Kumitomo sounded like a Japanese tire company

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Oh yeah Sumitomo.

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Endie posted:

Yeah we were told to go out and start poaching talent from allies and I got carried away and was caught trying to poach some director of SMA when working my way down the killboard top ten. Woops! I would be all "I am the number two person in goonswarm" and some people in TSC were very worked up that there was a formal hierarchy and that you shouldn't tell people you were number two if you were number three and stuff.

Still got a bunch of good people from that though.

by talent you mean actual pvpers with killboard activity instead of useful leadership dudes? if so lmao because gsf has done nothing but the very best to drive these kind of people away by killing off any sig that does small gang poo poo

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Kimsemus posted:

DBRB isn't your George Washington

He's our Patton :black101:

Except boat never went on a rampage in a field hospital.

That I know of.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AAPsel posted:

by talent you mean actual pvpers with killboard activity instead of useful leadership dudes? if so lmao because gsf has done nothing but the very best to drive these kind of people away by killing off any sig that does small gang poo poo

How so? I thought it was because the dudes running stuff just got burnt out and there was no one to replace them?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

AAPsel posted:

GSF doesn't kill off sigs, people who can't be arsed to put in any effort kill off sigs

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Percelus posted:

Yet somehow boat has played a crucial part in more winning wars than arguably anyone, funny how that works out.

Starting to agree with everyone else in this thread who has called you stupid.

In fact, no I completely agree with them.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Zephyrine posted:

He's our Patton :black101:

Except boat never went on a rampage in a field hospital.

That I know of.

patton wasnt retarded

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

AAPsel posted:

RIP Space Violence. Kept me entertained for months when EG was impossible to get into.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

DBRB the CEO we deserve

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Goons need a warrior-king ATM, not a bureaucrat, when people are kicking their door in. Mittanis are fine for slow-burn wars, and prosecuting wars in foreign lands, but when the hordes are in your house taking a dump on your coffee table, you need an active leader who will pull alongside you, fight, and FC etc.

Warrior-kings are also notoriously bad at leading alliances when you're not under existential threat, so :shrug:

Basically we need DJ back, but he ain't coming back.

Thinking fighting is always the answer is the type of thing that would keep our video game addicted enemies interested. We need them to chase other butterflies right now or play other more interesting video games rather than placing ourselves in front of them.

You're trolling, right?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

DBRB. Let's Make Goonfleet Great Again.

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

How so? I thought it was because the dudes running stuff just got burnt out and there was no one to replace them?

sion threatening to blacklist you and then having you replaced by mittens gym buddy who doesnt know a god drat thing about what hes doing tends to do that yeah

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Kimsemus posted:

Starting to agree with everyone else in this thread who has called you stupid.

In fact, no I completely agree with them.

You are dismissing any claims of DBRB being a major contributing FC to our various war efforts over the years?

...and I'm the stupid one :rolleye:

Edit - Seriously though I'd love to hear why he hasn't been.

Daruna
Jul 3, 2011
https://timerboard.net/WorldWarBee

"347 timers currently running."

Christ almighty.

I'm looking forward for the next Andrew Groen book 5 or so years from now that documents this thing. By the way his book is awesome and worth the 10bux or so I spent for the Kindle version.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AAPsel posted:

sion threatening to blacklist you and then having you replaced by mittens gym buddy who doesnt know a god drat thing about what hes doing tends to do that yeah

I have no context for any of that.

Daruna posted:

https://timerboard.net/WorldWarBee

"347 timers currently running."

Christ almighty.

Last night I heard that 109 nodes were expected to spawn in one constellation :negative:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Unfunny Poster posted:

Last night I heard that 109 nodes were expected to spawn in one constellation :negative:

And 16 of them belong to the Allies.

Welcome to fozzie sov.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Unfunny Poster posted:

Didn't atrum ping a few days ago about Hole Squad still getting SRP because someone in it is mittens gym buddy.

Also I know, never rely to Unfunny Poster. I know.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
What's so bad about entosis, you should be excited. It's the best gameplay ever.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

On an unrelated note, wasn't the Prime Minister of Iceland supposed to give the welcome speech at fanfest?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Juche I want you to know I took your comment about my life being one giant regret as a love tap. It also caused me to listen to Panic! at the disco and Fall Out Boy for the rest of the night but it's okay.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oodles posted:

On an unrelated note, wasn't the Prime Minister of Iceland supposed to give the welcome speech at fanfest?

President, not Prime Minister.

Meclin
Dec 3, 2011

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

The closest thing I can draw a comparison to is the French and the Maginot Line.

We've abandoned the line. The French stayed to be slaughtered, or, perhaps your going for the French Leave allusion. In that case, I get it, but a number of people are coming back to swell our numbers. And, like in WWI, it takes some time to mobilize.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Meclin posted:

We've abandoned the line. The French stayed to be slaughtered, or, perhaps your going for the French Leave allusion. In that case, I get it, but a number of people are coming back to swell our numbers. And, like in WWI, it takes some time to mobilize.

Its more that the French High Command was wholly out of touch with what was happening outside of Paris, and also (extremely) poorly coordinated the defense of their eastern border. They were stuck on the idea that came about during WWI that if they kept a strong static defense, they would outlast any force arrayed against them, which simply wasn't true.

E: I give it 2 weeks.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 5, 2016

Meclin
Dec 3, 2011

Kimsemus posted:

On the other hand you making this statement completely makes sense given the other terrible things you've said so far.

George Washington lost most the battles he was in, started the Seven Years War, and only rolled to victory with the French navy/army coming to rescue him. He was also able to keep together the Continental Army and inspired people to fight for him in a seemingly lost cause. Are you sure you aren't describing our Boat?

kiresays
Aug 14, 2012

Percelus posted:

Ok he's defending boat, confirmed for trolling

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

kiresays posted:

Ok he's defending boat, confirmed for trolling

Hey, I'm not calling him a skilled FC :colbert:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

PL is a generic tryhard syck-elite MMO PvP group, which makes them inherently boring and attractive to boring MMO players. when you talk about low Goonfleet engagement, a lot of people i knew were specifically interested in playing Eve only because we were in the anti-christ anti-gudfites goonfleet, and the entire group was built on personally ruining the game for people who take space shootships as Serious Fun, like BoB or PL, by any means necessary to piss them off.

it seems that the focus sorta changed over the years to be less hate-fucky (it probably wasnt sustainable, i get it), and the entire rest of Eve seems to have tried to copy that old culture, so it doesnt surprise me that a lot of old GF dudes checked out. just my bittervet view.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Cygni posted:

PL is a generic tryhard syck-elite MMO PvP group, which makes them inherently boring and attractive to boring MMO players. when you talk about low Goonfleet engagement, a lot of people i knew were specifically interested in playing Eve only because we were in the anti-christ anti-gudfites goonfleet, and the entire group was built on personally ruining the game for people who take space shootships as Serious Fun, like BoB or PL, by any means necessary to piss them off.

it seems that the focus sorta changed over the years to be less hate-fucky (it probably wasnt sustainable, i get it), and the entire rest of Eve seems to have tried to copy that old culture, so it doesnt surprise me that a lot of old GF dudes checked out. just my bittervet view.

That more or less still fits, it's just been giftwrapped. It also explains a lot, thank you.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

AAPsel is also a fuckin idiot that doesn't speak for us. He's not percelus bad but he's close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

vyst posted:

AAPsel is also a fuckin idiot that doesn't speak for us. He's not percelus bad but he's close.

Thank you. I'm sure none of what I said has happened. Sion is a wonderful person who likes to see goons have fun in this game. I sure wish the sig I helped found would've been turned into a section 8 renter like he wanted to. It would've done wonders in helping our people help defend the motherland.

• Locked thread