Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Gray Area posted:

I played this for a month in 2015. What DLCs are worth buying?

Alternately just sub for a month or two and run all the DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Honestly, subbing for a month to get a taste of the DLC isn't a bad idea. For 15 bux you can dip your toes in everything (pre-Morrowind) and decide where to go from there.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

So they just namedropped the next two DLC packs for ESO tonight: Horns of the Reach, and Clockwork City. If the dataminers are right, Horns of the Reach is the Nord dungeon-based DLC, and Clockwork City will be similar to Orsinium. My guess is that Horns of the Reach will also have the new PvP event as well.

E: Screenshots

E2: More Info!

quote:

Horns of the Reach will introduce two new dungeons (Bloodroot Forge and Falkreath Hold), and is packed full of excitement to keep your adventure rolling. This DLC pack will also include new items, monster masks and achievements. You’ll be able to grab Horns of the Reach via the in-game Crown Store.

When Horns of the Reach launches, the base game will also get a major (free!) update. This update will include a new Battlegrounds map (Arcane University) and a new Battlegrounds ruleset (Chaos Ball), in addition to new homes, furnishings, cosmetics, Crown Crates and holiday events. This update will be available to all ESO players (though only Morrowind owners will have access to the Battlegrounds content), even if they don’t pick up Horns of the Reach.

quote:

Explore even more of Sotha Sil’s Clockwork City in this major new DLC game pack coming to ESO. Daedric forces are at work once again – and your help is needed to prevent disaster. With more than 10 hours of fresh content, Clockwork City will keep you busy later this year – and will have a few surprises in store. Clockwork City is a standard DLC game pack and does not require the user to have purchased Morrowind. Keep an eye on Bethesda.net for more details on Clockwork City in the coming months.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 12, 2017

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Hakarne posted:

Also I think this thread could do more with character shots in general, I love seeing the crazy/cool things goons come up with in MMOs.
I agree. I enjoy the dressup aspect of MMOs a fair bit so while I’ve been messing around with alts I’ve been trying to use costumes so that I don’t have to worry about them wearing clownsuits while levelling. I find you can dramatically change the look of a lot of the costumes if you just change the dyes on them (which is something you can do if you’re subbed).

I’ve tried to stick to costumes that don’t use much (if anything) from the shop to give people ideas of what they can realistically do without spending any money outside of getting DLC (which most people do via the Gold edition which is always on sale somewhere).

Orc DK wearing the Warden’s costume that comes with certain versions of Morrowind and the Echalette pet from the Orsinium DLC:

Khajit Nightblade wearing the costume you get from the Thieves’ Guild DLC riding the smuggest camel ever which came with I think the premium version of Thieves’ Guild:

Redguard Templar using the new Scarlet Judge costume from Morrowind along with the Bouyant Arminger face tattoos from the main quest in Morrowind.

This one’s cheating a bit because the Turban was from the Crown Store but it finishes off the Sword Saint thing I was going for perfectly. She even has a curved sword.

Dunmer Dragonknight wearing all Morag tong gear from the Morrowind bundle converter thing. I think the chest is heavy, boots are medium and the rest is light with a Skinchanger staff:

Altmer Sorcerer wearing the Trinimac’s Penitent Knight costume from Orsinium (dyed to fit Thalmor colours) and the Telvanni personality from Morrowind quests (which alters the /read emote to be the two floating books):

Bosmer Warden (featuring bear arse photobomb) using the Shrouded Armour costume (dyed brown and green) and the Assassin personality from Dark Brotherhood:

Lastly, my Argonian Templar who is using tons of stuff from the crown store but I don’t care because he looks awesome:

In closing: lizards rule, roll Argonian.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I really wish I liked the design of the Morag Tong heavy armor more. It just looks like chunky garbage to me. :mad:

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I really wish I liked the design of the Morag Tong heavy armor more. It just looks like chunky garbage to me. :mad:

To be fair, on you, most things would.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Sixto Lezcano posted:

To be fair, on you, most things would.

Because my physical perfection makes everything else looks like poo poo. I know, right? Such a burden. Lucky for you that it's one you never have to suffer under!

Everyone's blessed in their own way. I'm sure your blessings will appear someday!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

If any of you were hoping for a Dark Brotherhood event to celebrate the release, don't hold your breath. Team has been busy with Morrowind and E3.

Nope, not even a "here's double drops for everything DB related"

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Hakarne posted:

Also I think this thread could do more with character shots in general, I love seeing the crazy/cool things goons come up with in MMOs.

I took some costume glamor shots. You can still get all of these, though the Wild Hunt crown crates go away in ten days. (I don't recommend buying those unless you have a lot of extra crowns saved up from subscribing and actually want the stuff in the Superior tier.)

Imperial Chancellor (base game)

Glenmoril Witch Robes (crown store)

"Upriver" Striped Sash-kilt (crown store)

Merchant Lord's Formal Regalia (Thieves' Guild DLC)

Golden Saint (base game)

Wedding Suit (crown store)

Priest of the Green (Wild Hunt crown crate)

Tree Minder (Wild Hunt crown crate)

Nordic Bather's Towel (winter holiday event, can be found at guild traders)

Mannimarco (base game)

Winterborn Shaman's Costume (Wild Hunt crown crate)

Dark Seducer (base game)

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I'm getting crushed WRT in game selfies. I gotta get off my rear end.

Ara in his un-costumed Tank set, showing off his home.

FOXDIEFather Time hasn't been good to old Hard Asp here.

The life of a Nord is about 50/50 relaxing in a hot tub and being angry in a graveyard.

Slinkin' around, hailing Sithis.

The good Doctor here was getting ignored by the wait staff.

Shocks-and-Awes always has to keep his hands busy.

Hugs-From-Afar, as usual, is hugging himself at the buffet.

And I'm afraid my new warden here got a little too close to nature and has subsequently gone native.

Aramek fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 13, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Aramek posted:

And I'm afraid my new warden here got a little too close to nature and has subsequently gone native.

Hahaha, he looks like a Metal Gear Solid boss. I love it.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Had Aramek make me some medium Akaviri so I can get my ronin on

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Anyone play this on console? Bought it to play with a bud not long after it came out on ps4 but he had a kid and stopped playing. So I stopped as well.

Thinking about trying it again but only if there are other people to play with

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

On the back of that, is there a goon EU server (PC) presence?

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Just purchased the deluxe Morrowind edition as well as plus membership. About the plus membership, I know it includes the DLC such as Orsinium and Thieves' Guild, but does it also include all of the smaller items in the crown store such as mounts, merchants, etc.? Not a big deal if not since you get a crown stipend, but I didn't want to purchase something I already have access to.

I have basically zero MMO experience so I plan on initially playing the game like I would any other Elder Scrolls title and learn as I go. Does the 1st person mode work fairly well or will I want to use the default 3rd person?

One final question, what exactly is Curse of Vampirism and Werewolf's Bite? I was under the impression that Vampire/Werewolf are in the base game, or do these expand on those playstyles?

VVV Thanks for the tips! VVV

Jive One fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 14, 2017

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
It's all about third person. I only find myself going first when I want to get a good look at something. There's all kinds of annoying visual effects in first person and you'll often wonder why your character stopped moving (you got rooted by an enemy). It's especially useful in dungeons and PVP when you need to keep your head on a swivel. Also third person will let you rotate the camera to look around/behind you when you're harvesting materials or activating objects.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
Plus doesn't include any crown store items, you'll want to always play in 3rd person for anything harder than general questing, and the crown store bites are overpriced shortcuts that let you skip actually getting turned by an enemy or player.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Please don't purchase either of the afflictions from the Crown Store. If you want a Werewolf or Vampire bite just ask around.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So, dumb newbie question.

I enjoy playing the game, but I'm really bad at game mechanics. Is there any sort of newbie guide for dummy's like me? All the builds are targeted at people who are level 50 with 6 bajillion champion points to kill uber beasts in the end game, but I can't find anything that talks about how to build your character from day 1 without prior knowledge of things like major sorcery, minor sorcery, whizbang effect seven..

I've found plenty of just general tips, but nothing that really tries to explain how to put together the skills in a cohesive way prior to having unlocked level 50 in every single skill branch of the character, when and how to do skill-bar swaps in combat (after level 15 apparently?), etc.

I went ahead and subscribed for 90 days, and holy poo poo the crafting bag is the best monetization idea by an MMO ever. After playing with it, I'm not sure it would be possible to ever play without it!

Also ran into an evil bug yesterday. The crafting writs in the new Morrowind starting area (Vivec city) - all of them except blacksmithing apparently have to be turned in at some far away place called Devon something? that I have no direct access to. Brilliant.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

No, that's how writs work. Regardless of where you get it, you have to hand them in in specific places based on your faction. All the level 1 writs are in Davon's Watch for EP. Eventually, when you level your trade skills up with SP you start having to go to Mournhold. After that it's Coldharbour, and, finally, Craglorn for max level writs.

As for builds/levelling guides, what are you playing? Second post of the OP has links to some good (albeit outdated) builds that Scy wrote, that talks about what to do at what levels.

And you totally do have direct access to it, because it's one of the starting cities. If your WS isn't already lit up like it should be, just go to the Anchor symbol at Vivec, and click on the boat that'll take you there.

Aramek fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 14, 2017

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Drone posted:

On the back of that, is there a goon EU server (PC) presence?

There are a few, IIRC, but I think most EU goons play on the NA server (and the population there is good during EU peak times as well).

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The Locator posted:

So, dumb newbie question.

I enjoy playing the game, but I'm really bad at game mechanics. Is there any sort of newbie guide for dummy's like me? All the builds are targeted at people who are level 50 with 6 bajillion champion points to kill uber beasts in the end game, but I can't find anything that talks about how to build your character from day 1 without prior knowledge of things like major sorcery, minor sorcery, whizbang effect seven..

When leveling, level everything, level all your skill lines to 50, wear 1 piece of each kind of armor. Once you have the ability to swap bars, you will kill poo poo with 1 bar, then, when you are going to turn quests in, swap to the second bar and turn the quest in to get xp on the skills/weapons on that bar.

The game is easy because you are generously boosted to CP160, you (should) breeze through without much trouble until you actually hit CP160.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Randler posted:

There are a few, IIRC, but I think most EU goons play on the NA server (and the population there is good during EU peak times as well).

Might reroll on NA then I guess. Do the DLC unlocks / ESO Plus subscriptions transfer across servers?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Aramek posted:

No, that's how writs work. Regardless of where you get it, you have to hand them in in specific places based on your faction. All the level 1 writs are in Davon's Watch for EP. Eventually, when you level your trade skills up with SP you start having to go to Mournhold. After that it's Coldharbour, and, finally, Craglorn for max level writs.

As for builds/levelling guides, what are you playing? Second post of the OP has links to some good (albeit outdated) builds that Scy wrote, that talks about what to do at what levels.

And you totally do have direct access to it, because it's one of the starting cities. If your WS isn't already lit up like it should be, just go to the Anchor symbol at Vivec, and click on the boat that'll take you there.

It's pretty dumb that I can turn in the blacksmithing writ on the dock in Vivec City, but have to travel to Davon's Watch for the other ones. I took the boat to the main city for the faction and I thought it was a different city than the writs were in, I'll check again tonight.

I have been playing a little bit of everything. :) I have a Magika Templar and Magicka DK both based on Scy's posts, and I'm messing around with a Magicka Sorcerer right now.

MF_James posted:

When leveling, level everything, level all your skill lines to 50, wear 1 piece of each kind of armor. Once you have the ability to swap bars, you will kill poo poo with 1 bar, then, when you are going to turn quests in, swap to the second bar and turn the quest in to get xp on the skills/weapons on that bar.

The game is easy because you are generously boosted to CP160, you (should) breeze through without much trouble until you actually hit CP160.

Thanks for the tip on bar swapping for turn ins.

I assume you mean that you are boosted to CP160 after you hit level 50? I thought I was just boosted (or de-boosted) to the proper 'zone' level everywhere? In my UI is says something like 7 [c10]. Thought that meant I was level 7, but being currently boosted to 10?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

You can hand in your Blacksmithing writ in Vivec?! :psyduck:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Aramek posted:

You can hand in your Blacksmithing writ in Vivec?! :psyduck:

Yep, but that's the only one.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The Locator posted:

I assume you mean that you are boosted to CP160 after you hit level 50? I thought I was just boosted (or de-boosted) to the proper 'zone' level everywhere? In my UI is says something like 7 [c10]. Thought that meant I was level 7, but being currently boosted to 10?

Zones are scaled to you, and, I thought, you were scaled to CP160 always, maybe I'm wrong about how the level scaling system works, but I know for a fact you can technically go anywhere at any time and the mobs/you will be scaled to match.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

MF_James posted:

Zones are scaled to you, and, I thought, you were scaled to CP160 always, maybe I'm wrong about how the level scaling system works, but I know for a fact you can technically go anywhere at any time and the mobs/you will be scaled to match.

Ok, interesting. I have no idea what the stuff on the UI is showing me then. It's from one of the suggested UI add-ons, so who knows. I'm still trying to figure out what a lot of the things I see in the game mean, but I do see that '160' on a bunch of stuff, so what you say makes sense.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Drone posted:

Might reroll on NA then I guess. Do the DLC unlocks / ESO Plus subscriptions transfer across servers?

Achievement unlocks no, everything you bought in the crown store no, poo poo you bought outside of the game and applied a key yes. Plus should also count for both.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Are CP levels super fast in comparison to normal levels? I'm at 50/CP160-something with my Templar when I stopped playing, and I remember gaining levels crazy fast before I stopped playing in comparison to the level 18 Warden I'm playing now.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Dvsilverwing posted:

Are CP levels super fast in comparison to normal levels? I'm at 50/CP160-something with my Templar when I stopped playing, and I remember gaining levels crazy fast before I stopped playing in comparison to the level 18 Warden I'm playing now.

Yeah they go pretty fast the 160 just in general and you also gain enlightenment to level you much faster.

Mantari
May 8, 2005
:D
Lipstick Apathy
I have just reached CP160 with my magicka templar, i'm not sure how enlightenment works but I was enlightened right up until CP155. I was also able to get my clothing, blacksmithing and woodworking to level 50 and enchanting to level 35 without use of the crafting bag, I did this by not holding onto trait stones (which most of are stocked in the guild bank) and when my bank filled up with materials I would craft all the glyphs I could untill I ran out of aspect runestones (besides the 3 main ones).
I have spent all my gold on bag and bank slot upgrades (at the moment 125 inventory and 140 bank slots) and occasionally crafting materials to complete writs. I am tempted to start collecting materials for alchemy and provisioning now but this would require emptying my bank of unneeded low level equipment materials which I cant see myself using anyway. Also the addon Lazy Writ Crafter is amazing.

Edit: only researching staves and 7 armour pieces that my character wears also saves me bank space for items to research.

Mantari fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 15, 2017

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Mantari posted:

I have just reached CP160 with my magicka templar, i'm not sure how enlightenment works but I was enlightened right up until CP155. I was also able to get my clothing, blacksmithing and woodworking to level 50 and enchanting to level 35 without use of the crafting bag, I did this by not holding onto trait stones (which most of are stocked in the guild bank) and when my bank filled up with materials I would craft all the glyphs I could untill I ran out of aspect runestones (besides the 3 main ones).
I have spent all my gold on bag and bank slot upgrades (at the moment 125 inventory and 140 bank slots) and occasionally crafting materials to complete writs. I am tempted to start collecting materials for alchemy and provisioning now but this would require emptying my bank of unneeded low level equipment materials which I cant see myself using anyway. Also the addon Lazy Writ Crafter is amazing.

Edit: only researching staves and 7 armour pieces that my character wears also saves me bank space for items to research.

If I remember correctly, you gain Enlightment by being offline and possibly by playing level 49- characters.
One suggestion I would make is to maybe subscribe for a single month if you are planning on crafting more: that will automatically transfer all the crafting materials in a separate Crafting Bag, whose contents will remain accessible even after the subscription expires though you won't be able to put more materials in.
This has the potential of freeing up a lot of bank space and the bag is accessible account-wide.
You also get a few Crowns to buy cosmetics with :v:

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I just made handbag characters to hold my extra stuff. Of course this means I'm 5/8 slots already with only 1 played character and I spend a half hour relogging to sort everything once a day but I reckon 3 of them could be emptied if I bothered to join a trading guild

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Well if you're looking to dump some style stones, regulus or heartwood I can always use some.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Hey Mantari, if you see me on this afternoon/evening, lemme know, and we'll work on getting you your new c160 gear made.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So I have to say that ESO customer support is fantastic. I bought a whole set of legendary glyphs last night and put them on all of my equipment, including my Maelstrom Bow! My first reaction was "What the gently caress you can overwrite the maelstrom enchantment?" followed quickly by "Oh my sweet loving God what the gently caress have I done!?" I emailed ESO support thinking they were going to make me wait a week just to say I was poo poo out of luck.

They immediately sent an automatic generic email saying they can't generally restore items but to respond if I still had a problem, so I did. Then a customer service representatives emailed me back in under 5 minutes saying they understood how frustrating that must be and that they can try to do a one-time only restoration if I gave them the full item name, time it happened, and the character it happened on. About 15 minutes later he said he was able to find when I overwrote the enchant and told me to destroy the bow so they could send me a new one through the mail. It took a little over an hour to get it, but they actually mailed me an unfucked bow!

The time span between "Oh my god I ruined my best item" and having support mail me a new one was a little over 1.5 hours. That is God drat impressive, I'm used to waiting literal days in games like WoW only to receive a generic "we can't help you" email from someone who obviously didn't even read your ticket. I am very, very impressed with their GMs and they did a genuinely great job.

But holy gently caress, why do they let you overwrite the maelstrom enchantments? I was reading horror stories about people doing this, "Enchant" is right next to "Charge" and it seems like lots of people have ruined their maelstrom weapons by hitting the wrong button trying to quickly recharge them.

So uh... PSA: :siren:You can overwrite Maelstrom Weapon enchants and ruin your item/day/life. Be careful and don't do it, you'll want to kneecap yourself with a spork.:siren:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

You can also decon them if you don't have it locked. So be careful.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

If it's not a sharpened maelstrom bow then that's a waste of your good CS experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I asked earlier, but does anyone know the proper way to update Master Merchant without losing price data?