Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Military strongmen seizing power isn't exactly a new phenomenon. In Al-Andalus itself, you have Almanzor setting precedent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
:siren:Voting closed!:siren: B won pretty handily, so it looks like we're keeping the Jizrunids and getting a constitution. There won't be a policy session until after the next update though, so I can try and stabilise the country, and also come up with a new faction to replace the Loyalists (or possibly a merger faction between the surviving loyalists and ulema. because the rest of you are super dead.)

Final tally:

A - We Refuse Him - 15 - ThatBasqueGuy, Agean90, Raserys, Weebus, Mountaineer, Sinner Sandwich, TheFlyingLlama, Slaan, tunapirate, mcclay, QuoProQuid, Snipee, Duey, The Bold Kobold, MythLisp.

B - We Accept Him - 32 - Talas, Lord Cyrahzax, TyrsHTML, devildragon777, RZApublican, Frionnel, Crazycryodude, unwantedplatypus, Yvonmukluk, Captain Oblivious, WilliamAnderson, GunnerJ, Mountaineer, Soup du Jour, Hitlers Gay Secret, Grizzwold, Erwin the German, Ralepozozaxe, Technowolf, paragon1, AJ_Impy, HiHo ChiRho, catlord, Zakrelo, PBJ, Crazycryodude, Luhood, Viola the Mad, everydayfalls, Picard Day, NewMars, Camoes.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Surely some of them made it to Palermo! We should ask the Emir to send them back to be put on trial though.

And to our new Sultan, I say congratulations! If Tariq had overcome the usurper Fatima and her brood, this all could have been avoided, but Allah corrects our mistakes. You will be destroying their tombs and monuments, yes?

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I hope its a sort of Peoples of Al-Andalus faction that's made to replace the Loyalist. They'd be about keeping our borders to Iberia, and not trying to take anything outside of it, but getting back what we lost. Also rebuilding our country, maintaining stability, not going into wars that would bone us. Building and making Al-Andalus a nice place to live, not concerned with the stuff outside of it. I'd join that faction. Also pro democracy and representation, since the people have seen what the decisions of higher ups can lead to.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Sure, let's form an "Allah, Sultan and Andalusi" party. One faith, one people, one leader.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

I still haven't gotten everything figured out just yet, so I'm open to suggestions. One of the ideas I'm playing around with is a "Hashashin Reborn" faction, with its members super devoted to the Sultan and Shiism and all that, but that's probably too similar to the previous factions.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Does the Sultan being Shia mean that our state religion has changed, or are we still Sunni? If so, would there be a moratorium on converting provinces or is that something that can be overridden with enough votes? If I read the last update right it seems that we voted for a sultan with limited powers, so that seems like something that would be possible.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I think splitting New World colonization into its own faction would work well, as would making an explicitly internal development faction. The Merchants are basically the "do whatever you want" faction right now, and should have some more limitations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Splitting the Merchants into some kind or Iberian West Indies company focused on colonialism and an internal security/development faction combined with the remnants of the Ulema could work? A populist faction of sorts? I'm not sure.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

We could combine the Taifas and merchants into a single imperialist/expansionist faction too.

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 4, 2017

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

A populist faction of sorts?

:helladid:

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
The Colony Merchants would be drat tempting if they were called The Nabobs, even if it is the wrong area.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Nah, I'm not gonna be splitting factions. As it is the Merchants are forced into either expanding in the new world or developing the old world, splitting them means everything will get done anyways, which nullifies the entire point of having factions in the first place. Same goes for combining the Merchants and Taifas. The only thing that'll be changed for the next Majlis Meeting is a new faction will be introduced.

Edit: a populist faction could be interesting though, so something might be done with that.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 4, 2017

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

We could do a multi religious diplomacy faction, maybe? Dhimmi, Sunni and Shia putting their differences aside to try and keep Al-Andalus safe without violence.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Now that I think about it, Hashim should get a new avatar. Suggesting the Jizrunid Scream by Ralepozozaxe, in honor of the latest update.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
We could have a republican/constitutionalism faction? More autonomy! Devolution! Power to the people! Statutes of limitations!

Edit: actually, if we end up with a parliament it could work well.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 4, 2017

Weebus
Feb 26, 2017
You heretics might have won for now, but a hundred year down the line when your shi'ite sultan overreaches and tries to convert us at swordpoint, we'll call over the true rightful sultan, the sultan of Palermo.It'll be a Glorious Revolution, you'll see, you'll all see! :argh:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Hashim posted:

There won't be a policy session until after the next update though, so I can try and stabilise the country, and also come up with a new faction to replace the Loyalists (or possibly a merger faction between the surviving loyalists and ulema. because the rest of you are super dead.)

I didn't really understand "Jizrunid from previously deposed branch offers peace and constitutional monarchy, the goal of the Maljis in revolt against his pretender relative" to mean "all but supporters of the newly deposed tyrant get purged" but I also don't really give a poo poo so w/e. :v:

eta: Whoops, misunderstood, you mean the Loyalists and Ulema who sided with the Maljis, nm.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 4, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
You know, we're controlling the Sultan. One of the terms could well be his conversion to the one true faith...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

NewMars posted:

We could have a republican/constitutionalism faction? More autonomy! Devolution! Power to the people! Statutes of limitations!

Edit: actually, if we end up with a parliament it could work well.

Wonder how you translate "Whig" into Arabic.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

GunnerJ posted:

I didn't really understand "Jizrunid from previously deposed branch offers peace and constitutional monarchy, the goal of the Maljis in revolt against his pretender relative" to mean "all but supporters of the newly deposed tyrant get purged" but I also don't really give a poo poo so w/e. :v:

If the Loyalist faction hadn't been so big, the Fitna never would have fired, so they literally caused the civil war to happen by flocking to Utman and massively empowering him. No way the Majlis is going to let them survive, the bad blood alone would likely cause the assembly to rupture. It's also why the Jizrunid Loyalists are officially 'disbanded' now.

So basically, because I think you're confused, the Majlis that fought in the civil war is completely fine. It's the loyalists and ulema who supported Utman who are dead now.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 4, 2017

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
It's times like this that 300 years being a hermit really works out well for me.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
:rip: Myself :rip:

I'm sure my fine son, Herman the German, will make a fine Ulama and/or shameless opportunist.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

I'm going to have to somehow work the burning of the most holy Dalai Ullama at the stake into the update. Because that totally happened.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
The Ulama who fought for the true and righteous Majils would protest that christiannic barbarism most strongly, and would likely appeal for clemency towards the mullahs and imams.

There are plenty of 'Loyalists' to burn instead, and they have no friends.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Hashim posted:

So basically, because I think you're confused, the Majlis that fought in the civil war is completely fine. It's the loyalists and ulema who supported Utman who are dead now.
Yeah, I was confused and didn't realize you were referring to the non-Maljis Loyalists and Ulema as "super dead." Sorry!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Hashim posted:

I'm going to have to somehow work the burning of the most holy Dalai Ullama at the stake into the update. Because that totally happened.

Aljadid Mars, First of his name.

I wish it to be known for the record that I led a one-man march from the coast to Cadiz to Restore Sanity.

You may say that I did nothing, but then why was sanity restored the moment I returned?

NewMars fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 4, 2017

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I'm not quite sure what triggered the massive rush to the loyalists in the first place to be honest. Was it the sultan being competent and ambitious that they liked or was there something else?

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
My username is a bad joke about how if there is a word for the person doing the shooting (the sniper), then there should be a word for the person getting shot (the snipee). I'm totally ready to be dead for the purpose of the plot... but drat, I hope to get the chance to vote for full Islamic communism before the LP ends.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Grizzwold posted:

I'm not quite sure what triggered the massive rush to the loyalists in the first place to be honest.

Probably this exact outcome tbh.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Snipee posted:

My username is a bad joke about how if there is a word for the person doing the shooting (the sniper), then there should be a word for the person getting shot (the snipee). I'm totally ready to be dead for the purpose of the plot... but drat, I hope to get the chance to vote for full Islamic communism before the LP ends.

All you have to do is make a new persona, possibly a child or relative.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

AJ_Impy posted:

The Ulama who fought for the true and righteous Majils would protest that christiannic barbarism most strongly, and would likely appeal for clemency towards the mullahs and imams.

There are plenty of 'Loyalists' to burn instead, and they have no friends.
They might appeal, but I doubt anyone will listen. They are known traitors to Al-Andalus.

Grizzwold posted:

I'm not quite sure what triggered the massive rush to the loyalists in the first place to be honest. Was it the sultan being competent and ambitious that they liked or was there something else?
I think a bit of it was annoyed Ulamas who are mad that we didn't go Full Theocracy Now, since he was aligned with their views.

Snipee posted:

You have been rewarded as an accelerationist deserves! :colbert:

(But seriously, you can probably make some kind of comeback).

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 4, 2017

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Snipee posted:

Ralepozozaxe posted:

All you have to do is make a new persona, possibly a child or relative.

Yeah, dying for the narrative doesn't mean you're banned from taking part in the thread or whatever. You'd have to get thrown into the oubliette for that.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Yvonmukluk posted:

They might appeal, but I doubt anyone will listen. They are known traitors to Al-Andalus.

I think a bit of it was annoyed Ulamas who are mad that we didn't go Full Theocracy Now, since he was aligned with their views.

'Former Ulamas' who switched to phony loyalism are not Ulama, do not sully our name with their treacheries. They abandoned the truth to chase after discord.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Hashim posted:

Yeah, dying for the narrative doesn't mean you're banned from taking part in the thread or whatever. You'd have to get thrown into the oubliette for that.

That's what we forgot, The Oubliette Faction.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

AJ_Impy posted:

'Former Ulamas' who switched to phony loyalism are not Ulamas, do not sully our name with their treacheries. They abandoned the truth to chase after discord.

Oh? So those who joined the loyalists and spurred the civil war were not 'true' Ulamas, but those who joined with their cause once war came - including your precious Dalai Ullama - have not 'sullied your name with their treacheries'?

Either disavow them or join them on the gallows, do not twist words to try and apologise for their treachery!

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

The Loyalists, the Ulema, even the Merchants, what's the difference? Each are stained by incompetence and treachery! Only the Taifas have stood firm for Al-Andalus again and again! Only the Taifas have what it takes to stand with our new Sultan to drag this nation out of the grave you pack of fools have dug for it!

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Grizzwold posted:

Some people want full absolutism, some people want full theocracy, some people want full accelerationism that will somehow result in a revolutionary Andalus, and some people just don't like the legislative aspect and would prefer it ended.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

The Loyalists, the Ulema, even the Merchants, what's the difference? Each are stained by incompetence and treachery! Only the Taifas have stood firm for Al-Andalus again and again! Only the Taifas have what it takes to stand with our new Sultan to drag this nation out of the grave you pack of fools have dug for it!

Into the oubliette with you, you absolutist traitor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Yvonmukluk posted:

Either disavow them or join them on the gallows, do not twist words to try and apologise for their treachery!

I make no apology. Those who wear the mantle of loyalist to the Mad Sultan, together with their Dhimmi allies, must bear the brunt of the cost for their crimes. But a Mullah, an Imam, these answer to Allah, let Allah judge them. A llama, this is an ungulate from Gharbia, it is not fit to stand trial as a human.