Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Well, last penta done. Is this box worth keeping after 8 pentas?

Lol you even got shafted on your Takumi. It's -attack +Speed. You also kind of got really poo poo luck on 4*

This is mine after 8.

e: or maybe mine is +attack and yours is +Speed -Res?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You won't really know until 40 cause the order of stat gains seems to be very randomized.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Blargh... yeah looks like even with the lucky Takumi drop I didn't do well :v:

Edit: ^^ Oh so well all is not lost then :v

Is Lyn actually a good roll other than being a 5*?

If so I'm thinking maybe Takumi/Lyn/Effie (tank)/Maria(healer) or Sophia.

Edit: VVV You weren't kidding, I really had bad luck with my rolls.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 8, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

6 or maybe 7? I didn't reroll when I started, either, I've had really good luck

Catria at level 30

Armored blow puts her at 25 armor when initiating attacks, 27 if I had rank 3.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 8, 2017

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I decided to setup one of those reroll macros to see if I can get some better/cooler units. I did get a summon of Hector and 4* Roy, which is great but I'm going to save it and see what else pops up since there isn't really a rush.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Lol you even got shafted on your Takumi. It's -attack +Speed. You also kind of got really poo poo luck on 4*

This is mine after 8.

What's the link to check that again?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Spent $$ on one 5-pull, rest are from orbs, lost track of how many but I'm clear up to lunatic chapter 8. Also I sent a lot of garbage home:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I decided to setup one of those reroll macros to see if I can get some better/cooler units. I did get a summon of Hector and 4* Roy, which is great but I'm going to save it and see what else pops up since there isn't really a rush.

5* Hector?

If you got 5* Hector, go with that imo, he's not on the banner so that's an incredibly good pull and he's a very good character

Roy is good at crushing green enemies thanks to triangle adept and he can max it out at 4*. He's kind of a niche character but he's not bad to have as a 4* pull and he'll probably be in your team until you replace him with a gold sword user

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Paul Zuvella posted:

This is mine after 8.

+speed -res I think is the best takumi if he got that

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Wait what. What does speed even do again?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
For green crushing if possible I would go with Selena as having both triangle boost and an armor slayer allows her to chew through most lines ups.

Anyway my team I am using is five star Camilla, Lucina and Robin with four star Shanna. Camilla is still proving useful due to having max darting and savage blow and Shanna does help with clean up and red units, but the stars of the show are Lucina and her 52 attack and Robin for his ability to tank almost anything ranged.

Edit: If your speed is 4 or 5 higher then the enemy you can double attack them.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 8, 2017

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
My one Takumi happens to be perfect (+Spd -Res) but +Spd -Atk seems fine unless there's some important damage breakpoints against specific characters

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

Wait what. What does speed even do again?

controls whether or not you double an opponent

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
it's hard as hell to grind past 20+, when you start getting people with way too much defence to even do damage against

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Okay, I have 20 orbs accumulated and I guess I'm ready to summon some people.

What's the best, most efficient way of increasing my chances of getting the best characters and what crystals should I look for? I read somewhere that if you don't get red, blue or whatever then you can bail and try again. Mostly want to avoid getting turds.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I saw people talking about "faking out" pvp players by putting a bad unit in their first spot. Is there some way to preview that unit? I can only see the icon of the characters, not their level/stats/stars.

Rascyc posted:

You won't really know until 40 cause the order of stat gains seems to be very randomized.

Wait, what? Your final stats are predetermined and the level up process is just distributing those set stats in a random order?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mirthless posted:

5* Hector?

If you got 5* Hector, go with that imo, he's not on the banner so that's an incredibly good pull and he's a very good character

The game is dominated by characters that have weapon advantage over him, and he'll definitely be a focus character in the future.

Rare pull yes, great pull no. You can do much better if you're mass rerolling than a single 5* Hector.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

I saw some PAD people talking about this game, so I thought I'd check it out. Seems pretty fun so far. Pulled a Nowi on my first pentaroll, and a Roy on my second, so it's pretty much been all facestomping so far.

The OP doesn't have any info, and the first couple pages are all people talking about voting for something. Is there some good high-level info on what's going on and how not to do something I'll regret? I glanced at reddit, but it looked to be all terrible whales.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tender Bender posted:

I saw people talking about "faking out" pvp players by putting a bad unit in their first spot. Is there some way to preview that unit? I can only see the icon of the characters, not their level/stats/stars.

Wait, what? Your final stats are predetermined and the level up process is just distributing those set stats in a random order?

The first character being low-tier make it more likely your get chosen to defend. And matchmaking is based on an average power of your 4 guys (as is points gain) so having one scrub gets easier matches (and less points).

Yes.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

sassassin posted:

The game is dominated by characters that have weapon advantage over him, and he'll definitely be a focus character in the future.

Rare pull yes, great pull no. You can do much better if you're mass rerolling than a single 5* Hector.

Yeah, he's certain to be bannerbros with Ike. I think he's easily the best tank in a game where tanks are great, though. Back him up with a couple of ranged guys that can deal with red swordlords and you're pretty much set for most of the stuff you have to deal with.

It's different when you're fighting him, too. I think people are conflating characters' power as active units and as defending AIs. AI Hector is easy to deal with, yes. Player Hector is a monster.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Cool, pulled 5* Takumi and 5* Camilla from a 5-pull. Guess I'm pretty well set for a while.

I've been tinkering with a Armor team and it's been pretty interesting. Been running Hector, Sheena, and a 3* Gwendolyn with a support (mostly Olivia) and they just kind of march across the map murdering poo poo. Don't have either Gwen or Sheena's really good C skills yet, but I can see that making things pretty silly. Between the two of them Hector could get +6 to all stats.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Echophonic posted:

Cool, pulled 5* Takumi and 5* Camilla from a 5-pull. Guess I'm pretty well set for a while.

I've been tinkering with a Armor team and it's been pretty interesting. Been running Hector, Sheena, and a 3* Gwendolyn with a support (mostly Olivia) and they just kind of march across the map murdering poo poo. Don't have either Gwen or Sheena's really good C skills yet, but I can see that making things pretty silly. Between the two of them Hector could get +6 to all stats.

Ya I think that's the new meta but we'll see. Man you have sick pulls. I'm bullish on Camilla again, she is def a meta piece that exists. She vaporizes Robin and even beats Takumi if she gets the charge off. Just don't let her get shot. 4x Takumi is so dumb.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Hah, so finally have a full 4 man team of 5* units. Only one of them is not a natural 5*. Guess which unit is falling behind in mid-lunatic, level 35~ chapters and had their team role reduced to "eat chump hits and die for the team while contributing no damage?"

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Phyresis posted:

Ya I think that's the new meta but we'll see. Man you have sick pulls. I'm bullish on Camilla again, she is def a meta piece that exists. She vaporizes Robin and even beats Takumi if she gets the charge off. Just don't let her get shot. 4x Takumi is so dumb.

I was kind of hoping for attack but looks like I got +res/-def.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm kind of liking Cordelia on my main team, still. I guess I may change my tune once I get Robin up to snuff. Probably a good idea to have a mix of dudes and gimmick teams ready to go, though. Is there anyone that buffs mages?

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Louisgod posted:

Okay, I have 20 orbs accumulated and I guess I'm ready to summon some people.

What's the best, most efficient way of increasing my chances of getting the best characters and what crystals should I look for? I read somewhere that if you don't get red, blue or whatever then you can bail and try again. Mostly want to avoid getting turds.

The problem with that is you don't get the discount and overpay in the long run, so that method is for people pumping tons of cash into the game already and could care less about efficiency. I think that pulling method is best for people doing mass rerolls if they are looking for a specific character, they dont bother looking through all the orbs since the animation can add up to quite a bit of time to their seconds per roll average.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I have like 75 orbs, waiting for a new banner before I pull again.

Lyn, Tharja, Corrin and Felicia have been doing fine so far. But then I haven't been rushing to the harder levels so maybe that'll change.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Man, I should've rerolled more instead of sticking with 5* Tiki, people seem to have so many cool 5* units :saddowns:

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Speaking of Tiki, I have a 5* one which I think is young Tiki and a 4* being the other. Is it just me or is the older tiki crazy better than the young one? So far I've found no use for young tiki at all, am I missing something?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

TheKingofSprings posted:

Man, I should've rerolled more instead of sticking with 5* Tiki, people seem to have so many cool 5* units :saddowns:

My tiki at level 37 has 33 defense. She's a monster.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
At this point anyone who isn't in dire need of units should strongly consider stockpiling for the next banner(s) unless you really want to chase current banner units.

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

The rate starts at 3% and goes up something like .25% every time you do a 5-pull and don't get a 5* unit.

Doing a single pull for 5 orbs, and claiming all 5 pulls for 20 orbs will still only give a 0.25% increase if you didn't pull a 5 star unit. You don't have to do all 5 pulls for the rate up.

AlphaKretin posted:

Or make like Square Enix and use mobile revenue to fund vanity projects they can afford to stop caring about the profitability of. There's a bunch of series I wouldn't mind seeing revived but aren't popular enough to currently deserve it.

Still hoping that Octopath Traveller is SE deciding to just make a new SaGa game (and that we'll actually get it).

Bonus points if it's setup like SaGa Frontier and they actually finish the game.

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

I'm up to 7 penta pulls and not a second 5* yet - seriously this is one of the worst gacha rates I've ever seen alongside Fate Grand Order.

FFBE is a 10% chance to get a 4* crystal and a 1% chance to get a 5* crystal. Currently in the global version, a 4 or 5 star crystal can still give 3 star units (and 5 star crystals can give 4 star base units). So in reality you have maybe a 5% chance at a 4* unit and maybe 0.5% of a chance to get a 5* unit. FFRK guarantees a 5* relic when you do an 11 pull but older 5* relics are basically stat sticks at this point and you can still effectively pull nothing (like I did, going 1/11 twice in a row with the same 5* both times, and said relic being 100% useless).

FE Heroes is downright generous compared to some other games out there.

Tender Bender posted:

Truly randomized stats in an online mobile game like this would be a horrific design decision. People could and would figure out ways to game the system and end up with godly stats.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Evil Fluffy posted:

Truly randomized stats in an online mobile game like this would be a horrific design decision. People could and would figure out ways to game the system and end up with godly stats.

i can just imagine having to follow optimized beat counter guides to maximize level ups to be competitive in pvp

"Ok, move this character to Row X, Column Y and attack north, and that'll set the RNG values..."

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

FFBE is a 10% chance to get a 4* crystal and a 1% chance to get a 5* crystal. Currently in the global version, a 4 or 5 star crystal can still give 3 star units (and 5 star crystals can give 4 star base units). So in reality you have maybe a 5% chance at a 4* unit and maybe 0.5% of a chance to get a 5* unit. FFRK guarantees a 5* relic when you do an 11 pull but older 5* relics are basically stat sticks at this point and you can still effectively pull nothing (like I did, going 1/11 twice in a row with the same 5* both times, and said relic being 100% useless).

FE Heroes is downright generous compared to some other games out there.

I forgot why I uninstalled FFBE. Thanks for reminding me.

I guess I just had to whine in a post or two on SA for my luck to turn vOv works for PAD, should have used that tactic before :D

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014
I mean the fact that there's breakpoints with +atk or +spd takumi's or robin's or poo poo already makes me scared enough lol.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
How do you know what + and - you have on each character?

Just because I'm beginning to suspect my Robin is -speed and goddamn is that annoying.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

So somebody upthread mentioned getting a daily download every night for 400mb, and I want to chime in that the same thing has been happening to me for the last three nights. Anyone know what causes this?

If you are using an iPhone, there is a specific cause not related to corrupt data (which would just not let the app run). When your iOS is not at the most recent version, Apple automatically attempts to download the update. If there is not enough storage on the phone to do so, it deletes all cache and non-permanent app data. That includes photos and movies from facebook, Safari webpages, and any data downloaded by an app such as extra game files. This started happening to me first with FFBE, but can happen with FEH as well.

There are some solutions to this problem.

1. Update iOS. But really, gently caress Apple.
2. Clear enough storage space on the phone so that the update can download. However then you get constant 'Update this device' reminders. Seriously, gently caress Apple with a splintery stick.
3. Disable cellular data use for the App Store app, and whenever you plug in your phone to charge, turn off WiFi. It's a goddamn pain in the rear end, but it works.

Or continue to re-download the app files after every charging session.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It's probably worth it to get Alphonse, Sharena, and Anna up to at least 3*, yeah?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Sharena and Anna are good at higher tiers. Alphonse not so much.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Hah I thought random stats would be lovely and thought they went through with it anyway :v:

For another dumb question... Regular fire emblem is random (with growth rates), right?

sassassin posted:

The first character being low-tier make it more likely your get chosen to defend. And matchmaking is based on an average power of your 4 guys (as is points gain) so having one scrub gets easier matches (and less points).

But you can't preview that character's stats, right? Just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Senerio posted:

Sharena and Anna are good at higher tiers. Alphonse not so much.

Well, I feel like Alphonse's problem is that there's a massive glut of red characters. Also that you have to spend a million feathers on him. He's got a lot of tools for blowing stuff up.

I'm wondering about Draug over Gwendolyn. I can just imagine the hilarity of using Lunge to pull some hard target into the middle of the formation, then bringing Sheena and Hector up to butcher them. Though, he's got Brave Sword and a decent attack, so he'll probably just kill them. On the other hand, Gwendolyn can deal with reds that would be issues for Hector and Sheena.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 8, 2017