Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
That question to hjb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cerv posted:

First time an SA post has ever advocated raising the age of sexual consent
tbf he was talking about having children, not having sex. Outside of the Catholic Church the two haven't been connected for decades.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Guavanaut posted:

Better yet, ban them both. Save a lot of trouble in the long run.

Pretty sure this is how you end up in the Children of Men universe

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

MikeCrotch posted:

Pretty sure this is how you end up in the Children of Men universe

the extinction of humanity bit i can get behind

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Breath Ray posted:

That question to hjb

Thanks for the question. 16 year olds are schoolchildren, not schooladults. Give them a chance to get out of that bubble and experience the real world for a bit before having the opportunity to make decisions that will affect them for the rest of their life.

Cerv posted:

First time an SA post has ever advocated raising the age of sexual consent

I've said it before! If you put the AoC up then it means for certain that schoolkids aren't legal, so you don't get newly-passed drivers rocking up outside schools in their souped-up Saxos seeing who they can pull. In theory. Reminder I live in Essex.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HJB posted:

I've said it before! If you put the AoC up then it means for certain that schoolkids aren't legal, so you don't get newly-passed drivers rocking up outside schools in their souped-up Saxos seeing who they can pull. In theory. Reminder I live in Essex.
You also get 17 year olds being done for noncery just for having consensual sex with other 17 year olds.

Make it half your age plus 7 and get Danczuk sent down.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Dunno about the uk but some places have a 2 year gap for nonverbal charges around the age of consent, so a 17 year old dating a 19 year old is fine, but not a 21 year old, etc.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think 2 years is a bit close, but it could see Liz and Philip locked up so let's give it a go.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Guavanaut posted:

You also get 17 year olds being done for noncery just for having consensual sex with other 17 year olds.

Unless the country is riddled with 15 year old nonces under the current law I don't think this would be the case. Maybe make it 17 as a compromise if it was though, still does the job.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It happens in the US. Usually when the parents disapprove of the relationship and decide to press charges. I'm not sure what checks and balances have been included to preserve sanity in the UK.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

whereas in france you become the president

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

HJB posted:

Thanks for the question. 16 year olds are schoolchildren, not schooladults. Give them a chance to get out of that bubble and experience the real world for a bit before having the opportunity to make decisions that will affect them for the rest of their life.
I disagree, at 16 they're still young enough to think politicians are actually bad for lying and dodging questions instead of being inured to it all. Plus, getting teenagers asking pointed questions to politicians makes for really good soundbite TV and politicians look super–duper bad when they're inevitably condescending liars in response.

Teenagers aren't stupid, and they're being sold up the river even harder than us.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

TACD posted:

I disagree, at 16 they're still young enough to think politicians are actually bad for lying and dodging questions instead of being inured to it all. Plus, getting teenagers asking pointed questions to politicians makes for really good soundbite TV and politicians look super–duper bad when they're inevitably condescending liars in response.

Teenagers aren't stupid, and they're being sold up the river even harder than us.

poo poo, look at that 8 (?) year old who 'knighted' Nigel Farage and then said he hated foreigners :lol:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Make it half your age plus 7 and get Danczuk sent down.

The CPS has general guidelines against prosecuting cases where both parties are consenting minors above the age of 13 with no aggravating factors (coercion, duty of care etc). Technically it is an offence but its considered contrary to the public interest to prosecute.

CPS posted:

It should be noted that where both parties to sexual activity are under 16, then they may both have committed a criminal offence. However, the overriding purpose of the legislation is to protect children and it was not Parliaments intention to punish children unnecessarily or for the criminal law to intervene where it was wholly in appropriate. Consensual sexual activity between, for example, a 14 or 15 year-old and a teenage partner would not normally require criminal proceedings in the absence of aggravating features. The relevant considerations include:

the respective ages of the parties;

the existence and nature of any relationship

their level of maturity;

whether any duty of care existed;

whether there was a serious element of exploitation.

Theoretically If you knocked up consent to 18 the underlying principle of the guidelines would probably hold

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm in a cafe in some middle of nowhere village in Northern Sweden and I just heard a news report on the radio about the leaked Labour manifesto. I don't speak Swedish but I can pick out words like "manifesto", "Labour", "Jeremy Corbyn" and "Royal Mail privatisation".

Clearly Corbyn's message is reaching someone!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kustomkarkommando posted:

Theoretically If you knocked up consent to 18 the underlying principle of the guidelines would probably hold
So you'd still get newly-passed drivers rocking up outside schools in their souped-up Saxos seeing who they can pull.

You'd get that even if you upped the age of consent to 47, simply because schools contain people who are 17-18 and newly passed drivers are often 17-18.

I think the only people who would benefit from a raise to 18 were the people who complained that equalizing the male-male AoC to 16 gave free license to perverts and pederasts (and who were strangely silent about the fact that the female-female AoC was increased by the same act).

Lord_Adonis
Mar 2, 2015

by Smythe

big scary monsters posted:

I'm in a cafe in some middle of nowhere village in Northern Sweden and I just heard a news report on the radio about the leaked Labour manifesto. I don't speak Swedish but I can pick out words like "manifesto", "Labour", "Jeremy Corbyn" and "Royal Mail privatisation".

Clearly Corbyn's message is reaching someone!

There are some good policies in the manifesto- it could perhaps be said to be the most strident and principled Labour manifesto for at least 30 years. It saddens me to consider the fact that even if Labour win the election, Brexit will see to it that none of the proposed policies could possibly be implemented thanks to an economic Armageddon brought about by a steadily weakening pound, ballooning trade deficit, degrading of national credit rating forcing the interest on the national debt to triple, a tax base that haemorrhages away to the EU and US, the necessity of supporting at least three million newly unemployed people and a drought of inward investment for British industries still afflicted with the British disease of short term planning and low investment- which will cause further hits to productivity and increase wage stagnation. All of this points to a severely diminished tax base, and a significant increase in the interest on our national debt repayments. As one shrinks and the other grows, the only possible outcome is national bankruptcy. The treasury will be lucky to be able to fund the activities of auditors and bailiffs in assisting international corporations to asset strip what remains of our public services when the government goes bankrupt- backed up by special detachments of Police and Military units paid in hard currency (US Dollar or Euro) to ensure their continued loyalty to the bankrupt state, in case any member of the public decides to object. In saner times, and with the EU cushioning our chronically dysfunctional economy, this manifesto would have been excellent- Now, it is simply rhetoric echoing within a dilapidated hall called Crisis Management.

Lord_Adonis fucked around with this message at 11:38 on May 11, 2017

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Lord_Adonis posted:

There are some good policies in the manifesto- it could perhaps be said to be the most strident and principled Labour manifesto for at least 30 years. It saddens me to consider the fact that even if Labour win the election, Brexit will see to it that none of the proposed policies could possibly be implemented thanks to an economic Armageddon brought about by a steadily weakening pound, ballooning trade deficit, degrading of national credit rating forcing the interest on the national debt to triple, a tax base that haemorrhages away to the EU and US, the necessity of supporting at least three million newly unemployed people and a drought of inward investment for British industries still afflicted with the British disease of short term planning and low investment- which will cause further hits to productivity and increase wage stagnation. All of this points to a severely diminished tax base, and a significant increase in the interest on our national debt repayments. As one shrinks and the other grows, the only possible outcome is national bankruptcy. The treasury will be lucky to be able to fund the activities of auditors and bailiffs in assisting international corporations to asset strip what remains of our public services when the government goes bankrupt- backed up by special detachments of Police and Military units paid in hard currency (US Dollar or Euro) to ensure their continued loyalty to the bankrupt state, in case any member of the public decides to object. In saner times, and with the EU cushioning our chronically dysfunctional economy, this manifesto would have been excellent- Now, it is simply rhetoric echoing within a dilapidated hall called Crisis Management.

Let's set up Soviets.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Lord_Adonis posted:

Or we could like just not leave the EU?

Lord_Adonis
Mar 2, 2015

by Smythe

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

Let's set up Soviets.

That was fine for a former Empire that encompassed not much less than half of Eurasia, with ample reserves of most of the necessary industrial and agricultural resources to draw upon, eliminating the need for the new Soviet state to go begging for cheap imports form people who were wholly inimical to their success. Unfortunately, Britain is not in that position. Establishing Soviets, whilst emotionally uplifting, would probably only hasten our post-Brexit drive towards the 17th Century as what remains of the economy routs abroad, and importers refuse to deal with us. If Soviets were established, it would hopefully occur just before the harvest.

Lord_Adonis fucked around with this message at 12:08 on May 11, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TACD posted:

Teenagers aren't stupid

Yes they are.

Lord_Adonis
Mar 2, 2015

by Smythe

Seaside Loafer posted:

Or we could like just not leave the EU?

I agree, that would be the best outcome. However, both the Conservatives ('Red White and Blue Brexit') and Labour ('We will respect the people's decision to leave the EU') are committed to leaving. As such, I take Brexit economic decline as a given.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Lord_Adonis posted:

I agree, that would be the best outcome. However, both the Conservatives ('Red White and Blue Brexit') and Labour ('We will respect the people's decision to leave the EU') are committed to leaving. As such, I take Brexit economic decline as a given.
In the highly unlikely event they actually win I reckon they could and would manage to stop it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

sassassin posted:

Yes they are.

It's more that teenagers aren't any more stupid than the rest of the voting public.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

sassassin posted:

Yes they are.
To an extent, but they often seem to have a rather nice moral compass compared to ignorant, fat, old thumbheaded, racists so id quite like them on board.

Lord_Adonis
Mar 2, 2015

by Smythe

Seaside Loafer posted:

In the highly unlikely event they actually win I reckon they could and would manage to stop it.

It is an outcome that I hope for should Labour win. I am willing to entertain the possibility that Labour Brexit rhetoric is a simple holding pattern with regards to leaving the EU to allow their election campaign to attract Leavers as well as Remainers, which would be disregarded once they win and start negotiating. However, unfortunately there is no way to know whether Labour would drop their 'respect' for the Brexit decision or not, at least until they win.

Lord_Adonis fucked around with this message at 12:02 on May 11, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

forkboy84 posted:

It's more that teenagers aren't any more stupid than the rest of the voting public.

Yes they are.

It's a smart move for Labour because the ones that care about voting lean heavily left. But let's not pretend 16 and 17 year olds are real people.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The feeling in the party is mixed - a lot think that there isn't the political to remain in the political body of the EU and/or that remaining with no changes is a huge middle finger to everyone who voted Brexit. However I think staying in the single market would really be a red line for Labour, which would avoid the catastrophic economic meltdown that will probably happen if we did leave that.

Having said that there is a significant section of the party & membership who are extremely staunch remainers so who the gently caress knows. There definitely isn't an appetite for hard brexit within the party though, despite how people want to portray Corbyn as some kind of closeted arch-Brexiteer.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

sassassin posted:

Yes they are.

It's a smart move for Labour because the ones that care about voting lean heavily left. But let's not pretend 16 and 17 year olds are real people.

I'm sorry, have you met the average British person? Because as a nation I'm not sure a 4 year old could be more uninformed about reality than the average Mail reader.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I agree with the thread that children should neither be able to vote nor join the armed forces.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
While searching out some heraldry I just stumbled across the best thing - the scottish wikipedia.

quote:

Walcome tae Wikipaedia,
the free encyclopaedia that awbody can eedit.
This Scots edeetion wis shapit on 23rd Juin 2005. We hae 44,794 airticles the nou.

Coohoolin love did you make this?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

When I was 16 I was a complete loving idiot with very strong opinions, it took me at least 4 years to become a regular human.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

nopantsjack posted:

When I was 16 I was a complete loving idiot with very strong opinions, it took me at least 4 years to become a regular human.

Same, except it also took the army shoving that poo poo in my face for me to become a human being.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lord_Adonis posted:

hard currency (US Dollar or Euro)
It'll be US Dollar or YuanRubleRandBitcoinRupee by then.

Oberleutnant posted:

While searching out some heraldry I just stumbled across the best thing - the scottish wikipedia.

I like the airticle on neeps.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

nopantsjack posted:

When I was 16 I mostly had correct politics, except I was a lot more naive about the realities of the Soviet Union's worst excesses. Still wasn't actually a Tankie, more that I'd just have tolerated them a bit more. I should have been allowed to vote at 16, I was certainly better qualified than my Tory gran.

Oberleutnant posted:

Zoology (study o beasts)

And they try to say that Scots isn't a language, it's just a dialect. Pffft.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
"Let's let the 16 year olds vote because they agree with our ideas" is getting dangerously close to "my dog would not have voted for Brexit" territory tbh

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Everyone thinks they've got "correct politics". That's not a qualification.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

sassassin posted:

Everyone thinks they've got "correct politics". That's not a qualification.

Yeah, but some of us are correct and tories are wrong.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

A lot of people are stupid, or at least devote so little thought to politics that they are effectively stupid when it comes to voting. The point of democracy isn't for all voters to be super smart, it's for them to express what they think is in their interests. I think 16 year olds are perfectly capable of doing that, and they are in fact possibly the age group that will be most profoundly affected by government policies.

I also think it would be a good thing if people could vote in sixth form, that way you have a chance to get them properly engaged with politics so they can make better decisions in future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i really recommend reading this trump interview while you eat lunch or whatever its spectacular

http://time.com/4775040/donald-trump-time-interview-being-president/

• Locked thread