Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Johnny Keats posted:

Is there any time that all 4 of us are around?

I think it’s like 2am where bif is or something like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

5am now. I've been up for a while though trying to talk things through where you guys can't listen in

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Bif is very active in masonry right now, we are doing some super sleuthing. I reread the masonry and am once again convinced she's town lol, unless she faked all her interactions with mycelia incredibly convincingly in which case I just gotta hand it to her.

It will be a few hours yet before I'm ready to cast a vote guys, sorry about that. Sitting-down-at-computer time is a rare thing and I want to get this right.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ok you guys, if you had a gun to your head having to make one final post and vote rn what's your case

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Hal do you think it could be Keats? Anything stood out to you there?

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Well I have no idea, but I'll vote where Maugrim votes, which sounds like it means Hal. I have to take your word for the reads in masonry, it's not like we can vote anybody out without being unanimous anyway

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

If Bif is really doing a lot of casework in masonry then sure

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

I really wish I could see that casework, especially if it would make me feel better about Hal being scum.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Johnny Keats posted:

Well I have no idea, but I'll vote where Maugrim votes, which sounds like it means Hal.

You'd like to think that wouldn't you

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Maugrim posted:

Hal do you think it could be Keats? Anything stood out to you there?

Sure it could be Keats. Again I think claiming a role that goes nowhere early game is a high-risk move as scum unless they are a ninja, but Keats is not like a paragon of optimal play. He has pretty minimal interactions with the flipped scum but he does have moments where he pushes on Josef and was very early on the “Josef can’t go anywhere” bit when I claimed my results. Could be that the writing was on the wall and Keats wanted to get ahead of it.

Bif is partly my bias on her keeping low-level suspicion on me all game based on what I consider a pretty far stretch that I would make up something about just her in those results and my general gut feeling. Taking that out and just looking at her posts relative to Keats there aren’t a lot of differences. I’m still not liking to also constant suspicion on Mycelia that almost (or maybe never) had votes, particularly at critics times like the Nep/Iggy day.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Bifauxnen posted:

You'd like to think that wouldn't you

I won't vote for myself if that what you mean?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Johnny Keats posted:

I won't vote for myself if that what you mean?

Maybe she means he’s now thinking of voting you?!

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Hal Incandenza posted:

Maybe she means he’s now thinking of voting you?!

Well I can't control that but it would be a funny way to lose the game

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

If Bif is scum I would applaud. If she is town I would just jeer.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Hal Incandenza posted:

but Keats is not like a paragon of optimal play.

Irrelevant to the game this is not true

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I mean if someone is making cases against me (or Keats) that are influencing you Maugrim it would be nice if we could respond to them. I don’t think bif has really provided a whole lot of reasoning behind why either of us are scum in here

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

I'm still going to take credit if we win

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I just wanna hear who you guys think is scum now without it being tainted by OMGUS feels

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

I would like to participate in discussion though

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Bifauxnen posted:

I just wanna hear who you guys think is scum now without it being tainted by OMGUS feels

It's already tainted by Maug saying he very strongly townreads you in masonry. Before he said that I would have said I prefer to vote you.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I would super hate to have scum Keats win at mylo in a game where in town twice in a row, that might be biasing me a bit lol

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

That game was a fluke, idfk how Salad didn't vote me

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
But this is where I'm feeling it, without night action there is only tummyfeels, and my tummy feel says ##vote wins final answer

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Who?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Maugrim posted:

But this is where I'm feeling it, without night action there is only tummyfeels, and my tummy feel says ##vote wins final answer

Am I wins?

If so kind of a bummer that I was actually in here posting things and trying to talk bits out while you two are having a private conversation I can’t respond to.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ok fine I was trying to see if acting like we were still considering Keats might get any interesting reactions or suspicious shifts, but we're pretty sold on it being Hal

##vote Hal

Both of y'all have had similar records and isolated good and bad moments but Keats overall tone is way more convincing

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Check vf lol, Hal has a lot of hilarious aliases

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Well aight. ##Vote Hal

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 7

Hal Incandenza (3): Maugrim, Bifauxnen, Johnny Keats
Bifauxnen (0): Maugrim, Johnny Keats, Johnny Keats, Maugrim

Not Voting (1): Hal Incandenza

With 4 alive, it's 3 votes to execute. The current deadline is November 22nd, 2023 at 6 p.m. CST -- that's in about 1 day, 4 hours.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Mod has work meetings for the next 3 hours or so, flip coming after that. Game is over.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
PREVIOUSLY, on a very special "All game starting the end of night 3," Maugrim being "Mod-confirmed town" was never questioned even once even though messenger roles have repeatedly fooled players game after game.

quote:

Player Hal
Game Ace Attorney: Miles Edgeworth
Flavor SHIH-NA
Role GODFATHER
Alignment TOWN
Starting Ki 0
Weapon Energy 0
Starting Items You start with a red gem.
Role-Related Passives ""As a GODFATHER, any time someone investigates your alignment it returns a result of """"TOWN"""". If you attempt a kill, you will register as town.

GOOD LOGIC EFFECT: ALWAYS IN CONTROL! You gain a one-use ORGANIZER ability. When used at night, you will receive a list the following day of where every player went that night. You will not learn what each player did, merely where each player went for that night.

BAD LOGIC EFFECT: UNCOVERED! You lose your GODFATHER ability permanently. If Alba is in this game, they will be informed that """"Hal is playing as SHIH-NA.""""""

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3466381

Hal has been eliminated D7.

With three players left and no way to prevent a NK, the game has ended!

But yes, Maugrim actually was mod-confirmed town and is endgamed.

quote:

Player Maugrim
Game WizCon
Flavor Chipstopher
Role Familiar
Alignment TOWN
Starting Ki 0
Weapon Energy 0
Starting Items You start with a yellow gem.
Role-Related Passives N/A
Role-Related Abilities ""At night, you may take one of two actions.

You may choose to ##bond with another player. This marks the player but the target is not notified.

When you ##bond with another player, any role-impairing abilities that would impact them that phase are nullified.

Once per game, you may ##reveal yourself to any players you have bonded with. Your alignment will be confirmed to the players you have bonded with and you will form a masonry with them. (If your ##reveal fails, you may try again.)

As a bonus, you caught the mod off-guard and so you may use ##bond as a Night 0 action.""

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4037773

Bif was town and is endgamed.

quote:

Player Bif
Game CYOR Mashup
Flavor Un...Lucky
Role Condional Redirector
Alignment TOWN
Starting Ki 0
Weapon Energy 0
Starting Items You start with a pink gem.
Role-Related Passives:
On EVEN nights, I'm hit with bad luck. (The bad luck comes first.) Once all actions are in, the mod chooses ONE ""worst possible"" action to redirect according to these rules:

If a kill targets me, it will miss me but hit someone else really inconvenient. If the kill was being tracked, it will now target the tracker. Otherwise, the mod chooses a new (unprotected) victim at their discretion based on what they think would gently caress over my team the most.

If an investigative role is targeting me that would help clear me, (a cop targeting me when I'm town, a tracker targeting me when I went nowhere, etc) they are redirected to somewhere that would give them a bad result instead.

If nothing like that is targeting me, an action will be redirected towards me instead.

Basic kills will not be redirected to me, but special kills with bonus effects (for example, a chain kill that would kill anyone else who visits me) can be redirected to me if that would result in equal or greater carnage to what would have happened before. Any special kill redirected to me will miss me, and the result will be called a failure, but the bonus effects will still succeed.

Watch or track or cop or other investigative actions can be redirected to me if it would make someone miss seeing a helpful result. Same for harmful obfuscating scum actions like smokescreens. They can be redirected to me if that would gently caress up people's results somehow.

If none of the above apply, just pick one action to redirect towards me which would cause maximum confusion.
On ODD nights, I'm hit with good luck. Once all actions are in, the mod chooses ONE ""best possible"" action to redirect according to these rules:

If a kill is targeting me, redirect a protective role to me to stop it. If that is not possible, (no protective role available, or the protective role would fail to stop a jugg kill) then redirect the kill to hit someone with a different alignment from me.

If an investigative role is going somewhere that they'd get no results, or bad results, (for example: a cop targeting a miller or godfather, a tracker targeting a ninja, a town mason recruiter or inventor targeting a scum, or anyone targeting someone who's jailed) redirect them to me, with a result that does explicitly tell them that they slipped somehow and targeted me instead by mistake.

If a scum role is targeting me which would cause confusion, (like a framer or smokescreen etc) redirect it somewhere where it no longer affects anything important.

If none of the above applies, pick an action to redirect to me that would just benefit me personally, like having a masonry recruit me instead, or a cool message going to me instead, or a special present going to me instead. The redirected person receives a result that does explicitly tell them that they slipped somehow and targeted me instead by mistake.

If that doesn't apply either, then redirect no actions. It's a lucky thing that I didn't mess anything up tonight!

Under penalty of modkill, I am never allowed to explain anything about how my role works. I am allowed to babble in completely generic terms about my ""luck"", and blatantly hint at my flavor by babbling about hope, but I can never explain any actual mechanics.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3875504

And that means the Demon Lord, Johnny Keats, wins it for the SCUM team (Keats, JS, Myc, and Shwinn)!

quote:

Player Keats
Game Scarlett Peach Blossom (Cultivation)
Flavor Shi Caihong
Role Demon Lord
Alignment SCUM
Starting Ki 0
Weapon Energy 0
Starting Items You start with a white gem.
Role-Related Passives ""If you are investigated, you will of course appear to be in the Sect.
During the Night, you have the final say in who dies.""
Role-Related Abilities On the third Night Cycle if all of your SCUM-Aligned Teammates are alive, you may ask one of them to ##sacrifice themselves to you for greater power. (This will turn you into a Ninja with a one-shot ##dayvig.)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4031775

In addition! Since the game ended on an ODD DAY, Wologar and Nep both achieve their 3P win conditions!

3P wincon:

quote:

As a N0 action, each of you will need to submit one of the following four options:
(Odd Day, Odd Night, Even Day, Even Night).

You may select the same option, but don't have to. You can discuss this before submitting. You must submit in your individual confessional.

You will win the game if you collectively complete 5 quests (quests to be shared in a separate message) AND the game does NOT end during the phase you selected.

That is, if you pick ""Odd Night"" and complete 5 quests and the game ends D4, or N4, or D5, you win. If the game ends N5, you lose.

Here are the quests. Each can be completed once at most, by either of you. You collectively share completion status. I will update this confessional when quests are achieved.

1) Prevent a kill.
2) Be the deciding vote on ('hammer') a player.
3) Correctly guess the alignment of a day elimination, three times. (Guesses to be submitted during twilight.)
4) Be in the top 3 posters of the day, three times.
5) Not get voted at all in a given day, three times.
6) During each night starting N1, make a guess of whether the following day will be ""longer"" or ""shorter"" than the previous day (from day start to hammer). Be correct, three times.
7) Point out a legitimate mod-error made at any point after the start of D1. Non-game-impacting typos do not count. Omissions of ""nice to have"" info do not count.
8) As a collective 1-shot, before the end of N4, ""##rolesolve"" the game by providing the roles of every remaining living player that aren't you. You may use this even if you are both dead.

You do not need to be alive to achieve your wincon.

Congrats to the winners and thanks for playing!

-------------------------------------------

Mod notes: Seems like most players had a mostly good time here, which was nice.

A few things behind the scenes:

"Balance attempts:
- I tried to pick roles that would be fun or interesting, with at least one high-ish-power option. But was generally open to basically anything.
- Rolls went: ""First 3P. Roll 3 scum, reevaluate. Roll a fourth scum, reevaluate (stop). Roll a second 3P."" In retrospect, I think scum were pretty unfavored given how things played out, but JS got wrecked hard and Shwinn inherited a pretty weak power before getting sniped."

Mod rulings and errors:
- TMor self-visited. This was akin to Zoya's charging vig being a self-visit. TMor did not have to be alive to kill (though this was ambiguous).
- Clo's role was butchered. Didn't realize the original implementation had hints, that wasn't in the role text at all. Then, after Clo died, the results stopped being scrambled. This was a big miss that we didn't realize for a few days and reconned into the "mod interpretation that once Clo died, the scrambling effect stopped" which is consistent with how the game played out but definitely not how the flip reads. Sorry about this one. I don't think it made a BIG difference at the end of the day, though.
- Nat's multi-voting. I stand by the ruling, especially as I had clarified the first time it got used.
- Bif's ability. One of the nights it didn't actually do anything, another night it did something but had no observable effects.
- Bif + Hal. The interpretation here was that Hal "tracked" every player individually. Based on Bif's ability, Hal tracking Bif got redirected to Hal tracking JS. But, because of the way Hal's track results got spit out, it showed as Bif visiting the kill. This was awkward, but I think a reasonable way to handle it.
- HCT was actually mostly-unkillable given some language-lawyering. That's why the first attempted kill failed. The second one succeeded since Maug empowered Myc.
- Wol's LightningBumper ability - Did a bunch of resolution order stuff, it only redirected three things. The track, the doc, and the kill. Myc's track actually went to Toal (11 targets) and not HCT directly, but then Toal's redirect hit so Myc went to HCT. This should have been fungus'd, whoops.

So at the end of the day, town had 3 mostly-unkillable players, two one-shot vigs, and a manipulatable second day-elim. The 3P team could make up basically any action they wanted at all. And scum were down a player from a "normal" expected ratio. Plus they staunchly refused to look up anyone's role for most of the game. Underdog win.

I probably forgot a few other things I screwed up along the way.

A bunch of red herrings, none seemed to fool anyone too much, but they were fun to include.

Thanks for playing!

Shell for MVP! Thank you Shell!

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

curtsies No lies were TOLD. Aside from my alignment, of COURSE.

Thank you all for a wonderful GAME. May we meet again when next they CRY.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Well at least I didn’t have to vote wrong at the end

I’m probably a bit more irked than I would be normally since that was annoying to never once hear from Maugrim why he thought I was scum before getting voted but I’m over it

Good job by the scumteam and cool idea cube, thanks for running it!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

The true answer is Mafia can't be solved by night actions or day posting! :v:

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Bifauxnen posted:

The true answer is Mafia can't be solved by night actions or day posting! :v:

I covered all my bases

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

Johnny Keats posted:

I covered all my bases

the duel against josef, which i talked about in obschat as being a monstrous move that entirely boxed him in... basically won you the game :argh:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Johnny Keats posted:

I covered all my bases

Yeah you did great in the clutch, I wrote off any earlier scumminess as just being in the same boat as Toal and Opop

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Thanks for the game, Cube. I had fun.

Thank for the win, Nep (and Meen)!

Clo, this role is clearly blessed.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I believe in Keats

Adbot