Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Finster Dexter posted:

That's not new, really.

What I like about all these nerfs is that it removes the "autopilot" factor for a lot of the top lists.

Totally. That's a big part of what makes them top tier lists, is that they are relatively less mentally taxing to play 8 times in a day compared to other ones.

Looking at the top 10 lists of the past 30 days per miniranker, 9 of them are Scum/Imperial. 8 of those 9 squads include one or more of the ships/upgrades affected by the new errata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Suprised nothing regarding TLTs. I basically only play scum, and while the Manaroo hit hurts, Mindlink will still dominate without her. Its probably going to be three offensive ships now.

Would liked to have seen a bigger Palp nerf, but it's something. He's not going away any time soon either.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

ConfusedUs posted:

• Adaptive Ailerons, if the move crosses an obstacle or bumps, suffers the effects but does not skip Perform Action step.

Mmmmmm. Sweet, sweet validation.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Actually, looking at this, I think FennZuckMan got a loving boost. Using Manaroo as an aggressive blocker was already my standard MO. Now it means I'm shooting tokenless defenders. There's no Dengaroo to erase Fenn in one shot.

...gently caress me I was tired of playing that list but now it may be better than ever.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I don't disagree that Palp was an oppressive presence in the game (appropriately enough heh), but I feel like this goes too far, especially without revisiting the 8 point 2-crew slot cost.

I could have lived with a "range 1-3" nerf on Palp which would have added some risk to OGP and forethought in positioning, but "call it in the air" obviates his purpose as insurance against the variance Imps have to live and die by (mostly die in the current meta where big reliable attacks push mondo hits through).

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I would've actually preferred a R1-3 nerf to both manaroo and palp instead. Even R1-2 on manaroo would've been fine. At least that way it'll mean more aggressive support ship play. I'm doing that with manaroo myself anyway, but it's just a bit harder with ventress being a large ship too, so R1 is more of a challenge.

Tacopocalypse posted:

Mmmmmm. Sweet, sweet validation.

Yeah, this had to be specifically included since otherwise the rules wouldn't allow it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

bunnyofdoom posted:

I find it funny the day after Defenders appeared on screen for the first time they get nerfed.

It doesn't count if it's not in a movie

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The x7 nerf doesn't surprise me AT ALL. I always felt it should have been a free action and/or have a "if you did not overlap" clause. Otherwise it's just too loving good for -2 points. Like why would you EVER take TIE/D when the old x7 existed?

Now I think the two are much more equal.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Dengaroo was the Ace killer. Now that that list can't work anymore, I guess we will start seeing high PS again.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Can't speak for you, but personally I have seen plenty of high PS in tournaments.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Slandible posted:

Dengaroo was the Ace killer. Now that that list can't work anymore, I guess we will start seeing high PS again.

That's not the only counter to aces out there, but it was sure a mean one. Kylo Ren's condition does bad things against high value ships these days too.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I feel like Dengaroo was running pretty rampant in tournaments that people slowed down on Ace lists. Not saying they vanished, but I at least saw a change in the meta when Dengaroo started getting hot.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

So, let's talk TIE x7 title. The rules aren't very clear on what counts as overlapping a ship or obstacle.

Errata reads:
“After executing a 3-, 4-, or 5-speed maneuver, if you did not overlap an obstacle or ship, you may perform a free evade action."

OK, so if you land on a ship or obstacle, of course you're not getting the free action (and you're skipping the regular action step). No doubts here.

But the rules also distinguish between overlapping an obstacle and "moving through" an obstacle with the template. So, what happens if you blow through an asteroid with a 5 speed maneuver on an x7 TIE. Do you still get that free evade action?

edit:
Under the FAQ for Hot Shot Co Pilot they accidentally a word

When attacking a ship with Hotshot Co-pilot equipped, the defender must spend the focus token after the "Declare Target" step and before the end of the "Modify Defense Dice" step.

should probably read
When attacking with a ship with Hotshot Co-pilot equipped, the defender must spend the focus token after the "Declare Target" step and before the end of the "Modify Defense Dice" step.

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 7, 2017

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
FFG's business strategy of buy ships you don't need for buffs, get nerfs for free is a tad disheartening!

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

canyoneer posted:

So, let's talk TIE x7 title. The rules aren't very clear on what counts as overlapping a ship or obstacle.

Errata reads:
“After executing a 3-, 4-, or 5-speed maneuver, if you did not overlap an obstacle or ship, you may perform a free evade action."

OK, so if you land on a ship or obstacle, of course you're not getting the free action (and you're skipping the regular action step). No doubts here.

But the rules also distinguish between overlapping an obstacle and "moving through" an obstacle with the template. So, what happens if you blow through an asteroid with a 5 speed maneuver on an x7 TIE. Do you still get that free evade action?
[/i]

Yes, you should. I can't think of a specific instance, but I know the rules or a card or something distinguishes between your maneuver template and your ship overlapping an obstacle (bombs and obstacles rules maybe). Since the new x7 title just specifies "you" it can also be read as "your ship."

If the obstacle you move through is a debris field, though, you're getting stressed and thus you're not getting to take that free evade action.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Devlan Mud posted:

FFG's business strategy of buy ships you don't need for buffs, get nerfs for free is a tad disheartening!

I used my raider just the other day to illustrate one of the ships the player characters were fleeing from in the SWRPG.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.
I only really fly empire but wow that Palp nerf is a big nerf. I really don't think he's worth the points now, at least in a competitive sense. Keep in mind that he isn't just 8 points in a vacuum he needs a ship to carry him.

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah, this had to be specifically included since otherwise the rules wouldn't allow it.

I mean AA works exactly how it was obviously meant to and how the game designers said it should. Only the most myopic reading would have suggested otherwise.

Devlan Mud posted:

This and basically invalidating cards you paid for it's not GW bad but it's bad. For instance if I hadn't bought a raider yet there is no way I would buy one now.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

• Han Yolo can't start on rocks without suffering the effects, including removing shields if he gets hit.

I don't know what this one is.

EDIT: I looked at the actual FAQ. Well...OK.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Haha that Han Yolo ruling is actually worse than it seems. According to the tournament rules, you don't power up shields until step 7; ships are placed in step 6. So technically Han wouldn't HAVE shields yet to take the hit.

But the FAQ says he does. :iiam:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

It's exciting how much more interesting this game is after they just put a little thought into 4 super poorly designed cards. But somehow, they left Horton and HWKs untouched

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

alg posted:

It's exciting how much more interesting this game is after they just put a little thought into 4 super poorly designed cards. But somehow, they left Horton and HWKs untouched

I tend to think that most of the cards just got hit with a big ol' hammer rather than anything nuanced.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ConfusedUs posted:

Haha that Han Yolo ruling is actually worse than it seems. According to the tournament rules, you don't power up shields until step 7; ships are placed in step 6. So technically Han wouldn't HAVE shields yet to take the hit.

But the FAQ says he does. :iiam:

They changed the rules to what the designers "intended." There's posters here who think that means they "got the rule correctly all along" or whatever, but they do change the rules. The big one that's been waiting a while is that R3A2 is working as it used to, before the flowchart existed to incidentally nerf Aggromechs. They've done it before. The old example is that 0-stop on a ship has at different points in different FAQ versions meant that a ship was touching and not touching. Core, fundamental changes to how the rules work in the game. :iiam:

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I used my raider just the other day to illustrate one of the ships the player characters were fleeing from in the SWRPG.

My strategy of never buying an epic ship continues to pay off in spades.

So glad Palp is dead. People complain constantly about mindlink/Manaroo winning tourneys on other sites, but palp has been a constant for ages.

Looking at my mindlink lists and I am seriously debating if I should keep Manaroo or go with a CS.

I think Paratinni is dead without Manaroo but Fenn, Old T and Manaroo could still work. Just going to take some practice.

Manaroo — JumpMaster 5000 27
Attanni Mindlink 1
Plasma Torpedoes 3
Extra Munitions 2
K4 Security Droid 3
Unhinged Astromech 1
Guidance Chips 0

Fenn Rau — Protectorate Starfighter 28
Attanni Mindlink 1
Autothrusters 2
Concord Dawn Protector 1

Old Teroch — Protectorate Starfighter 26
Attanni Mindlink 1
Autothrusters 2
Concord Dawn Protector 1

Total: 99

Panzeh posted:

I tend to think that most of the cards just got hit with a big ol' hammer rather than anything nuanced.

Yeah the Manroo nerf was not thought out at all. Someone on the design staff has been smashed by a Manaroo list at some point and did not like it. Range 2 or 3 would be fair but Range one is just silly.

Raged fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 7, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FFG forums posted:

Don't buy and netlist broken stuff then complain that they were nerfed for being broken. FFG didn't waste your money, you did, on a fruitless journey to be the best at a game where you push plastic space ships around a table.

It's a goldmine. :allears:

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 7, 2017

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Yep people are asking for refunds claiming Palpatine is now a useless $90 card. Love it

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Those guys do exist, but the circlejerking over "scum/imp whiners" from people who whined about Paratanni/aces is funny. Anyway, I will never understand people who somehow think the internet doesn't exist and that knowledge and information sharing is bad. Or i guess everyone should reinvent the wheel?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

It's a goldmine. :allears:

alg posted:

Yep people are asking for refunds claiming Palpatine is now a useless $90 card. Love it

I don't think I want to wade in the turds, but I would greatly appreciate if someone posted highlights :allears:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm a little disappointed in my Raider purchase, myself. Vader hasn't been competitive for a while, and the Palp nerf doesn't help that while also taking away the other valuable card from that collection.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

My player's nemesis for a campaign was an ISB Agent who cruised around after the players in one of them.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

quote:

One thing that is clear from this round of nerfs, no card is safe. No ship is safe. It's a proverbial vote of no confidence in the design team, as even when they make things better they just have to turn around and make them worse. It definitely makes me skeptic about buying packs to build awesome fleets if it's just going to be a culture of fear in which we can't ever feel confident that we can enjoy the products we own.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CULTURE OF FEAR

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

My condolences to all you goons who actually purchased the Raider instead of getting it as a Christmas/birthday present.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm a little disappointed in my Raider purchase, myself. Vader hasn't been competitive for a while, and the Palp nerf doesn't help that while also taking away the other valuable card from that collection.

This is more or less what I did with mine. Had a bunch of store credit at one point but now I'll probably not bother until I'm actually using the stuff. They take up so much space.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
There are other reasons to buy the raider you know...

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
If I had money I would get the raider. I like the look of it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Seems like an expensive way to represent Hull Upgrade, but who am I to judge?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

KongGeorgeVII posted:

There are other reasons to buy the raider you know...

Well if I did then nobody would get to see assless chaps FN-2187 :shrug:

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I'm kind of surprised that TLTs haven't had something done to them too. I played with 4 of them yesterday and it is about the most no-skill list in the game.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Raged posted:

I'm kind of surprised that TLTs haven't had something done to them too. I played with 4 of them yesterday and it is about the most no-skill list in the game.

It has a really low skill floor, but it's not overpowered.
There's a reason why you don't see it at a lot of top tables anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.
So what does a competitive empire list look like now?

• Locked thread