Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

emdash posted:

spent too long looking into this and found one company's datasheet on their ADC (other name for CR39). around 2200nm it starts blocking nearly all IR. so from 700-2200 it lets in quite a bit (something like 40-90%) but then from 2200nm on to 1mm (i'm extrapolating because the chart wasn't that wide), the vast majority of the IR range, it seems to block more than 90%

that's enough of this rabbit hole for me :shobon:

i expected nothing less than perusing manufacturers' data sheets, you have performed admirably

but no honestly that's interesting. I wonder what polymers different manufacturers use. they said 'most' sunglasses would work with FaceID, implying that in their testing at least a majority of common sunglasses were not IR-opaque, but i have no idea what actual material my Maui Jims are made of so i won't know until i try with the phone (or buy a Kinect i guess)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

I love that this will be the rallying cry - "bbbbut if you have an identical twin it may not work" which is possibly the most genetic edge case imaginable and even then it only matters if you don't want your twin to access your phone but afaik every twin set I've ever met basically shared a brain anyway

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

These emojis are so good holy poo poo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

🤬

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

I love that this will be the rallying cry - "bbbbut if you have an identical twin it may not work" which is possibly the most genetic edge case imaginable and even then it only matters if you don't want your twin to access your phone but afaik every twin set I've ever met basically shared a brain anyway

if friends was still around this would be a key plot point for phoebe and her evil twin

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Frankly I’m outraged that Apple allows my evil alternate universe self to use my phone, despite the fact that he has a goatee

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Pretty much any biometric won't be able to differentiate identical twins. If you have an evil twin you're stuck with pass codes.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah if you have a loving twin that's your problem. There were people who had no hands who probably couldn't use touchID. I mean, you can't have 100% applicability.

Hey, any good recommendations for cases for my wife's X? I'm getting Saddle Brown Leather, but she had the Apple leather cases on her 7+ and she drops her phone a ton. I don't want to get her one of those LOL-VAULT Otterboxes. But something with more protection (but still nice looking?) than the Apple Leather cases would be stellar.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Zero One posted:

Pretty much any biometric won't be able to differentiate identical twins. If you have an evil twin you're stuck with pass codes.

Fingerprints are unique across identical twins.

Also why did I upgrade to iOS 11.1 2 minutes before HQ started :(

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Maneki Neko posted:

Retina patterns should be as well.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Maneki Neko posted:

Tell that to my evil twin who keeps leaving my prints on his bank robberies! :argh:

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

Kilometers Davis posted:

Curling emoji now. :yeah:

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
11.1 final seems to be the same as 11.1 beta 5. I figured as much, since beta 5 was extremely stable except for some small crashes in Mail.app.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
So it's just new emojis and a fix for krack?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/sdw/status/925442051696558080

*puts on flight of the valkyries*

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is that because the X is the bomb?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dogen posted:

So it's just new emojis and a fix for krack?

Fixes some Exchange issues as well as the stupid bug where Messages was missing from the share sheet if you have your phone under a management profile (work email, calendar, etc). Plus I'm sure a bunch more stuff.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Edit: whoops never mind.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Full release notes:

quote:

Emoji
- Over 70 new emoji characters including new food types, animals, mythical creatures, clothing options, more expressive smiley faces, gender-neutral characters and more

Photos
- Resolves an issue that could cause some photos to appear blurry
- Addresses an issue that could cause Live Photo effects to playback slowly
- Fixes an issue that could cause some photos to not display in the People album when restoring from an iCloud Backup
- Fixes an issue that could impact performance when swiping between screenshots

Accessibility
- Improves braille support for Grade 2 input
- Improves VoiceOver access to multi-page PDFs
- Improves VoiceOver rotor actions for announcing incoming notifications
- Improves VoiceOver rotor actions menu when removing an app from the App Switcher
- Fixes an issue for some users where alternative keys would not display when using VoiceOver with Touch Typing
- Fixes an issue where VoiceOver rotor would always return to default action in Mail
- Fixes an issue where VoiceOver rotor would not delete messages

Other improvements and fixes
- Adds back support for accessing the app switcher by pressing on edge of display with 3D Touch
- Fixes an issue that caused cleared Mail notifications to reappear on Lock screen
- Fixes an issue in enterprise environments that prevented data from being moved between managed apps
- Fixes an issue with some 3rd-party GPS accessories that caused inaccuracies in location data
- Resolves an issue where settings for Heart Rate notifications were appearing in Apple Watch app (1st generation)
- Fixes an issue where app icons were not appearing in notifications on Apple Watch

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Thank god multitasking by pushing the side is back!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Completely anecdotal but I've been using 11.1 for the last hour pretty heavily on twitter and awful and my battery bar hasn't budged. 11.0.3 would definitely drop a bit under that load.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Zero One posted:

windows hello seemed to do okay with twins as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNJDKouF8Wk

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Do airpods fit snugly in people's ears? Or are they supposed to feel like they are resting loosely in your ears?

I went to try them out and it felt like they would fall out. But at the same time, I had to shake my head quite a bit to make them actually fall out.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

.Z. posted:

Do airpods fit snugly in people's ears? Or are they supposed to feel like they are resting loosely in your ears?

I went to try them out and it felt like they would fall out. But at the same time, I had to shake my head quite a bit to make them actually fall out.

They feel like they'll fall out, but they don't. Today was my first time cycling with a face mask with them, and when taking the face mask off I have to be careful because they will get caught up with it, but otherwise it's been a non-issue other than when I went for a half-marathon run without a sweat band. The collection of sweat did cause one to fall out, but all i had to do was pick it up and put it back in. I actually had them in the charger and was tapping my ear trying to get siri to register all the same because I couldn't honestly tell that I didn't have them in.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Today I learned gorgeous iPhone 7 Plus screens do not mix well with stone tools such as obsidian arrowheads or chert bifaces. I should clean my desk.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just a word of warning to everyone, I've had a LOAD of weird Twitter login activity from Overcast and IFTTT this past week.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Just a word of warning to everyone, I've had a LOAD of weird Twitter login activity from Overcast and IFTTT this past week.

Whatcha mean? Do those apps have Twitter integration or something? (I'm a Twitter doh-doh so any sort of social media tabs/integration goes right over my head.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

enojy posted:

Whatcha mean? Do those apps have Twitter integration or something? (I'm a Twitter doh-doh so any sort of social media tabs/integration goes right over my head.)

I don't remember ever logging into twitter on overcast but maybe I did? It looks like someone got my twitter password so I checked what apps had been accessing my account recently and there were a ton of hits from Overcast and IFTTR from the US (I live in Europe)

VERRRRRRY strange 🤔

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I don't remember ever logging into twitter on overcast but maybe I did? It looks like someone got my twitter password so I checked what apps had been accessing my account recently and there were a ton of hits from Overcast and IFTTR from the US (I live in Europe)

VERRRRRRY strange 🤔

This isn't how that works, you're describing normal app access not related to poor passwords.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The 3D Touch multitasking shortcut takes WAY longer than I remember it being.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

VERRRRRRY strange 🤔

Overcast’s servers are in the US and you probably authenticate with twitter in the app at some point to get podcast recommendations based on who you follow.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cool

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I ordered an IPhone X today (going from a 5S to the X will be a big jump).

Delivery dates (through Verizon) is by 12/1

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I don't think many people will care/be affected, but just FYI, iOS 11.1 changes how AssistiveTouch works. When activated, the menu no longer pops open in the center of the screen, but now pops out from wherever the button is on the screen. Like most change, I'm sure it will just take some getting used to, but it does seem like it will be difficult to predict where exactly the onscreen menu will appear, especially after years of muscle memory with it always appearing in the same spot.

I do like that you can now add different commands for double tapping and long pressing it, though.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I ordered an IPhone X today (going from a 5S to the X will be a big jump).

Delivery dates (through Verizon) is by 12/1

Assuming the estimate is correct, that’s better than the Apple.com time (assuming that estimate is correct too).

Carriers seem to be much better source than usual this year.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
what do you do when your mother learns how to send stickers and gifs via message.app?

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

buglord posted:

what do you do when your mother learns how to send stickers and gifs via message.app?

You put her conversation on DND so you’ll see her messages once in a while if you’re in messages app but not get the 50,000 notifications. Same way I deal with all the overexcited messagers

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

xilni posted:

Assuming the estimate is correct, that’s better than the Apple.com time (assuming that estimate is correct too).

Carriers seem to be much better source than usual this year.

It probably changes. Last few years Apple has been the way to get the phone fastest, word gets out, so probably they’re getting more orders than previous years.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

buglord posted:

Smile and interact with your mom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

buglord posted:

Block her number