Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Coolguye posted:

they were also put there by a mammoth buy-back from VW loving up software in their vehicles that compromised nice extras like "brakes", not the entire abortive clusterfuck that is the bike sharing debacle

like literally, one is a large company loving up and paying the price for it, the other is a government loving up, not admitting it, and letting their citizens pay the price for it.

Also they're probably gonna be reasonably well preserved in the desert and may yet get used somehow, or at least scrapped and recycled, as opposed to being at the bottom of a river running brown with pollution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

"The boy's parents said he should be praised for finding risks, rather than punished"

Have to admit, that's one hell of a line. BRB just gonna set some buildings on fire to make people aware of fire safety.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
That Chinese wumao reporter woman I mentioned is being pretty fussy. We were supposed to meet today, but from last night she is getting more and more LOL to me. She told me to come to her house and she will cook a meal for me, because she believes that in all my time in China I never got to try real Chinese food. Her house is far enough away that if I went there for a dinner I would probably have to sleep over because the boat I need would have stopped, and taxi would be ridiculous for that distance. I was thinking of taking the BTS (train) and then walking back home at night, since that's normal for me, but it depends on the weather since it's raining.

Her: "When you come, can you bring the frying pan you have?"
Me: "Why?"
Her: "I want to cook several dishes but I don't have a pan. You can bring yours."
Me: "No, I am not carrying a pan on a taxi, boat, and train. We can just eat outside and save time."
Her: "Fine, fine. I will cook soup, you will like it."
Me: "Ok."
Her: "Since I will make soup, you should bring two bowls and two spoons."
Me: "What the hell? Do you have anything in your house?"
Her: "I don't have any guests here... no."
Me: "No, I will not bring that either. It's my day off and I want to relax. We can just eat outside at the shopping center."
Her: "Oh, ok... but you have to come to my house first."
Me: "Why?"
Her: "I will go out of Thailand and come back after a few weeks. First I go to hometown in China. I have to apply for a new working visa."
Me: "And?"
Her: "I don't want to carry so much stuff with me. You come to my house and get my suitcase and take it back to your house and keep it for me until I return."
Me: "No. No. I will probably eat dinner with you and walk home."
Her: "How far is that?"
Me: "9 or 10km."
Her: "You're a strong man, you can carry my little suitcase with you."
Me: "NO."
Her: "Ok, we eat dinner and then I sleep at your house and I carry my suitcase."
Me: "I don't know, I just want to take a walk, especially after a meal. It's my day off."
Her: "Please..."
Me: "Oh, look, big thunder and rain now! Maybe I can't go out today."

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That lady just wants you to carry a printerpan over. Is that too much to ask?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

its not a printer. so it

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Say you’ll do it. Eat her food. Then don’t do it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Imperialist Dog posted:

Huh I wonder how this lift broke?
Maybe someone peed on the control panel.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

"look maybe china did a bad thing, but did you know America is also very bad?" whataboutism argument originating in Vancouver...literally the least surprising thing I have seen all day

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
That's literally a lot for cars to be stored until they're recycled.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

So the Tiangong-1 is finally coming down in 24 hours or so and the predictions on possible re-entry sites are up and updated in real time at http://www.satflare.com/track.asp?q=37820#TOP

There seems to be a non-negligible chance the drat thing will fall on a heavily populated area.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Update:

We agreed to meet in a tourist shopping area instead of me going out to her house. I knew if I went there she would try to make me take her suitcase to my house, and I didn't want to deal with telling her to F-off in her own home. She was whining about how long it took for her to reach the train station at our meeting place from the station near her house, telling me it was going to take one or two hours to arrive. I used the train's own website and looked and it was only ten stations, taking less than twenty minutes. I screencapped this and sent it to her and she said it was definitely wrong. She said it was time for a nap but now I was rushing her because I was going to arrive in that place in an hour and she couldn't get her daily Mainland-programmed nap in. She complained about her stomach hurting because period cramps. I told her like four times she can stay home and we can meet another time when she returns to Thailand and she said she must prove her honesty to me since she agreed to meet me.
When I asked where she was, she said station five. I asked the name and she said she didn't know, and she's never learned the names of the stations and only counts the numbers from her house. It turns out she didn't know the names of anything in the city, and not one Thai word, not even how to say hello. She said if I could say the names in Chinese then she would find them, and I told her that's not a good way to live abroad and she needs to learn the Thai names. She also had the standard reply of "I get lost easy, you don't understand" because she can't read a map and is firmly against ever learning how. It's funny to me because of how common it is for me to meet Mainlanders that really, really do not want to learn how to use the map apps or read one, like it ruins everything they have going on and they enjoy getting lost for hours at a time.

In the middle of her whining and me telling her to go home and stop bothering me and we don't need to meet, I looked up and there she was across the street, staring at me. I will admit she definitely looked good. She came in this thin summer dress with her hair parted down the middle in the way Mainland girls think look good but just looks like it they quit halfway through doing their hair. She's a stick girl, without a properly worked muscle on her body and one of those naturally slim figures coupled with a lifetime of barely eating. She was as pale as a full moon and stood out as not a Thai at all. The first thing she said to me was "Why are there so many Chinese people here?"
We went and got some snacks, and she took one bite of an onigiri and said it was so heavy. She could barely finish it and took about fifteen minutes to do so. She wanted to carry her bottle of water, 500ml, and after a few minutes told me it was too heavy. She also said her purse was too heavy, and the only things in it were a phone and cash. I called her a baby. I told her I'd take her to a cheaper tourist market about 300m down the road and she said it was really far. We eventually made it, but she wanted to go back to the expensive name-brand shops and said she didn't care if it was 9 or 10k baht (approx. $300+ USD) for a dress, because she could depend on it not making her look fat.

She wanted a coffee so we went in to a place and I sat down and she said she'd order. I told her iced coffee, and said "So you're Chinese, and that means that you'll die if you drink cold things during your period?" She confirmed this and said she will order a hot drink. She came back with two iced coffees and said she didn't understand what the other drinks were or how to say the names.
We talked for quite a while and she told me she is a famous writer in China. I asked what she writes and she said newspaper articles, but also novels. I laughed. She told me like three times that she is very famous across, and many people read her stories, and I just don't understand how popular she is. I asked what kind of stories and she said novels, usually romance and drama, that sappy heartbreak busted-family-and-can't-marry-the-man-you-love-because-he's-not-from-the-same-hometown kind of China stuff. Now, the part about this that made me LOL is because she's adamant that she's a virgin. I asked her how she's going to write romance if she's never taken a dick and doesn't understand that entire side of a relationship and how it can make some people crazy, etc. She said most of the readers just like crying and are usually younger girls, so they wouldn't understand anyway. The stories were about unrequited love, not any physical things. They were all about that last-ditch effort to marry the man you used to go high school with but now he's on the other side of the country or living Canada and now you're both in arranged marriages for Spring Festival, etc.
Also, she rarely made eye contact and said it was because she was shy, but said she had been to the USA before and I am the first American she has ever seen with brown eyes, because all Americans have green or blue eyes. I told her she didn't pay attention, and she refused to believe that brown eyes are normal.

Then the date turned into this whole thing about me coming to her house on Sunday and taking her suitcase home. I said no. I told her she is welcome to take the train and taxi to my house and I'll hold it for her in my closet, since she is asking a favor of me, and not the other way around. She refused. She kept telling me I need to come get it all this poo poo and I told her no way. She said she would get lost going to my house and I told her the taxi wouldn't. She said it would, and I remember she doesn't know the names of anything so of course she wouldn't know where to go. It's supposed to rain tomorrow so I said I am staying home. She's been doing that dumb spoiled rich girl poo poo and whining about how I need to be a man and come help her, and I keep telling her to be an adult and figure it out for herself. She's trying to say she thinks I am handsome and wants to meet me again and again and I said we can be bros because I don't like virgins, and she got all butt hurt. She went on a big rant about how ugly and stupid she thinks she is and I said I think she's not ugly at all.

Off to a wonderful start, fellas.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
You are expending a significant amount of effort to keep China in your life. Surely that's a warning sign.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Bajaj posted:

Update:

We agreed to meet in a tourist shopping area instead of me going out to her house. I knew if I went there she would try to make me take her suitcase to my house, and I didn't want to deal with telling her to F-off in her own home. She was whining about how long it took for her to reach the train station at our meeting place from the station near her house, telling me it was going to take one or two hours to arrive. I used the train's own website and looked and it was only ten stations, taking less than twenty minutes. I screencapped this and sent it to her and she said it was definitely wrong. She said it was time for a nap but now I was rushing her because I was going to arrive in that place in an hour and she couldn't get her daily Mainland-programmed nap in. She complained about her stomach hurting because period cramps. I told her like four times she can stay home and we can meet another time when she returns to Thailand and she said she must prove her honesty to me since she agreed to meet me.
When I asked where she was, she said station five. I asked the name and she said she didn't know, and she's never learned the names of the stations and only counts the numbers from her house. It turns out she didn't know the names of anything in the city, and not one Thai word, not even how to say hello. She said if I could say the names in Chinese then she would find them, and I told her that's not a good way to live abroad and she needs to learn the Thai names. She also had the standard reply of "I get lost easy, you don't understand" because she can't read a map and is firmly against ever learning how. It's funny to me because of how common it is for me to meet Mainlanders that really, really do not want to learn how to use the map apps or read one, like it ruins everything they have going on and they enjoy getting lost for hours at a time.

In the middle of her whining and me telling her to go home and stop bothering me and we don't need to meet, I looked up and there she was across the street, staring at me. I will admit she definitely looked good. She came in this thin summer dress with her hair parted down the middle in the way Mainland girls think look good but just looks like it they quit halfway through doing their hair. She's a stick girl, without a properly worked muscle on her body and one of those naturally slim figures coupled with a lifetime of barely eating. She was as pale as a full moon and stood out as not a Thai at all. The first thing she said to me was "Why are there so many Chinese people here?"
We went and got some snacks, and she took one bite of an onigiri and said it was so heavy. She could barely finish it and took about fifteen minutes to do so. She wanted to carry her bottle of water, 500ml, and after a few minutes told me it was too heavy. She also said her purse was too heavy, and the only things in it were a phone and cash. I called her a baby. I told her I'd take her to a cheaper tourist market about 300m down the road and she said it was really far. We eventually made it, but she wanted to go back to the expensive name-brand shops and said she didn't care if it was 9 or 10k baht (approx. $300+ USD) for a dress, because she could depend on it not making her look fat.

She wanted a coffee so we went in to a place and I sat down and she said she'd order. I told her iced coffee, and said "So you're Chinese, and that means that you'll die if you drink cold things during your period?" She confirmed this and said she will order a hot drink. She came back with two iced coffees and said she didn't understand what the other drinks were or how to say the names.
We talked for quite a while and she told me she is a famous writer in China. I asked what she writes and she said newspaper articles, but also novels. I laughed. She told me like three times that she is very famous across, and many people read her stories, and I just don't understand how popular she is. I asked what kind of stories and she said novels, usually romance and drama, that sappy heartbreak busted-family-and-can't-marry-the-man-you-love-because-he's-not-from-the-same-hometown kind of China stuff. Now, the part about this that made me LOL is because she's adamant that she's a virgin. I asked her how she's going to write romance if she's never taken a dick and doesn't understand that entire side of a relationship and how it can make some people crazy, etc. She said most of the readers just like crying and are usually younger girls, so they wouldn't understand anyway. The stories were about unrequited love, not any physical things. They were all about that last-ditch effort to marry the man you used to go high school with but now he's on the other side of the country or living Canada and now you're both in arranged marriages for Spring Festival, etc.
Also, she rarely made eye contact and said it was because she was shy, but said she had been to the USA before and I am the first American she has ever seen with brown eyes, because all Americans have green or blue eyes. I told her she didn't pay attention, and she refused to believe that brown eyes are normal.

Then the date turned into this whole thing about me coming to her house on Sunday and taking her suitcase home. I said no. I told her she is welcome to take the train and taxi to my house and I'll hold it for her in my closet, since she is asking a favor of me, and not the other way around. She refused. She kept telling me I need to come get it all this poo poo and I told her no way. She said she would get lost going to my house and I told her the taxi wouldn't. She said it would, and I remember she doesn't know the names of anything so of course she wouldn't know where to go. It's supposed to rain tomorrow so I said I am staying home. She's been doing that dumb spoiled rich girl poo poo and whining about how I need to be a man and come help her, and I keep telling her to be an adult and figure it out for herself. She's trying to say she thinks I am handsome and wants to meet me again and again and I said we can be bros because I don't like virgins, and she got all butt hurt. She went on a big rant about how ugly and stupid she thinks she is and I said I think she's not ugly at all.

Off to a wonderful start, fellas.

You manage to hit the right notes with this story, it's making me uncomfortable and irritated. Your patience, or whatever sadomasochistic impulse is admirable, but what it is that makes you expose yourself to this stuff? You know as well that it won't get better.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Ask her what some of the Chinese names for Bangkok locations are. What can she possibly call Sukhumvit?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
This girl is a huge rear end-ache. Can't be worth it.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Pirate Radar posted:

What can she possibly call Sukhumvit?
Sukhamvit = สุขุมวิท = 素坤逸路 = Sů kūn yě lů
Siam (station/area) = สยาม = 暹 = Xiān
Chao Phraya River (Mć̀n̂ả cęāphrayā) = แม่น้ำเจ้าพระยา = 湄南河 = Méi nánhé
Khaosan Road (T̄hnn k̄ĥāws̄ār) = ถนนข้าวสาร = 考山路 = Kǎo shānlů
Charansanitwong street = จรัญสนิทวงศ์ = No such translation in Chinese
Bangkok (Krungthep Maha Nakhon) = กรุงเทพมหานคร = 曼谷 = Mŕngǔ
Yaowarat street, China Town area = เยาวราช = 唐人街 = Tángrénjiē

I'm too lazy to think of more but, as usual with all foreign words and names, Mandarin prefers a literal translation rather than phonetic.

Edit: Imagine some tourist getting in a taxi asking to be taken to Nanhe. The taxi guy is like "What the gently caress is a Nanhe?" Then he gets upset and asks to be taken to his hotel, Xi Er Dun, or Hilton. The taxi guy is like "What the gently caress is a Xi Er Dun?" Then the Mainland guy goes home and says Thai people are rude to Chinese.

Darkest Auer posted:

You are expending a significant amount of effort to keep China in your life. Surely that's a warning sign.
I went on a date with a Chinese woman that lives here in BKK and added me on Wechat. If that's a significant amount of effort, lol. I basically went and sat around with a rich girl while she bought me snacks and coffee. I still got to do my walking and listening to some new music, and my usual Saturday grocery shopping. I was with her for 3.5 hours total.

Power Khan posted:

You manage to hit the right notes with this story, it's making me uncomfortable and irritated. Your patience, or whatever sadomasochistic impulse is admirable, but what it is that makes you expose yourself to this stuff? You know as well that it won't get better.
https://i.imgur.com/uSl67vT.gifv

Bajaj fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 31, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Bajaj posted:

I feel for Chinese in this instance because the language has no inbuilt way to try to represent phonemes that it doesn't already possess.

Also, early European-made maps of Thailand had the same mistake with regards to the Chao Phraya, writing it down as the "Mae Nam River"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pirate Radar posted:

Also, early European-made maps of Thailand had the same mistake with regards to the Chao Phraya, writing it down as the "Mae Nam River"

Contacting China first meant a lot of those early maps have the weird Chinese names instead of anything recognizable in the native languages. But that was later fixed.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Bajaj posted:

Coincidence? I think not.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Grand Fromage posted:

Contacting China first meant a lot of those early maps have the weird Chinese names instead of anything recognizable in the native languages. But that was later fixed.

I mean, in any case it's just the River River.

Someone should do a video of foreigners from different countries trying to pronounce Bangkok's full name, but I don't envy whoever would have to write it down in Chinese.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mekong River is apparently the River River River.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

^ Haha, this is my favourite random fact of the day, thanks!

Wikipedia posted:

The English name "Mekong" derives from a contracted form of Thai and Lao "Mae Nam Khong".[4] In Thai and Lao, mae nam ("mother of water[s]") is used for any major river and Khong is the proper name.[4] As such, Thai and Lao locals often refer to it in English as the "River Khong".[citation needed] Khong itself, however, is an archaic word meaning "river" or "the river",[4] cognate with Chinese 江 whose Old Chinese pronunciation has been reconstructed as /*kˤroŋ/[5] and which long served as the proper name of the Yangtze before becoming a generic word for major rivers. In Khmer, Mékôngk is itself glossed as "mother of water", from mé ("mother") and taking kôngk as a form of kôngkea ("water").

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Power Khan posted:

... this story ... making me uncomfortable and irritated. Your ... sadomasochistic impulse ... won't get better.

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007

Bajaj posted:

I told her I'd take her to a cheaper tourist market about 300m down the road and she said it was really far. We eventually made it, but she wanted to go back to the expensive name-brand shops and said she didn't care if it was 9 or 10k
You totally tried to take her to MBK when she wanted to go to Paragon. BKK goons will get this.

You can take Haier out of China but you can't take Haier out of.....

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I am the "rear end" monogram

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Man why do you even bother with these dumb people

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
As the space station enters the atmosphere and lands who even knows where, we get to witness for the first time what a chabuduo space program looks like.

The space program equivalent of taking a piss in the elevator because "you dont live in the elevator."

I bet the Chinese put in just enough effort to make sure it doesnt land in China.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

hakimashou posted:

As the space station enters the atmosphere and lands who even knows where, we get to witness for the first time what a chabuduo space program looks like.

The space program equivalent of taking a piss in the elevator because "you dont live in the elevator."

I bet the Chinese put in just enough effort to make sure it doesnt land in China.

It’s far from the first uncontrolled deorbit. The US dumped Skylab in the middle of Australia—luckily it was the middle of Australia and not a more populated country. A Soviet satellite with an RTG once accidentally came down in Canada and scattered radioactive material around a few hundred kilometers of forest.

Like I’m sure there are some funny stories from the Chinese space program we’ll get to hear about someday but loving up and having a big piece of equipment fall out of the sky at god knows who just puts them in good company.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
HORSESHOE PLAN FOR PEARL RIVER DELTA. SO MANY HORSES

Edit: "Education services." LMAO
Edit 2: "Tourism" to Zhongshan. I can see Zhuhai on that list, but I spent a day in Zhongshan during summer and was ready to get out of there. I went to an apartment in one of the tallest buildings in the area and the place from above reminded when I stayed in Dumpsville, Anhui more than a decade ago. It's a city of factories.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/may/10/china-pearl-river-delta-then-and-now-photographs
This is an old but cool article showing photos of the cities in the PRD not too long ago.

Lupin posted:

You totally tried to take her to MBK when she wanted to go to Paragon. BKK goons will get this.

You can take Haier out of China but you can't take Haier out of.....
You're right, lol. But I wanted to go to MBK to eat in the food court (it's a pretty dang good food court that I think a lot of just assume it's a generic place to get a bite), but I was dismayed at how an onigiri made her full. She wasn't hungry, but wanted to go see what was for sale there anyway. She tried on some dresses and claimed they made her look fat. It was dumb. I'm glad we didn't go to Platinum Fashion Mall.

Bajaj fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 1, 2018

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Bajaj posted:

HORSESHOE PLAN FOR PEARL RIVER DELTA. SO MANY HORSES

Edit: "Education services." LMAO
Edit 2: "Tourism" to Zhongshan. I can see Zhuhai on that list, but I spent a day in Zhongshan during summer and was ready to get out of there. I went to an apartment in one of the tallest buildings in the area and the place from above reminded when I stayed in Dumpsville, Anhui more than a decade ago. It's a city of factories.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/may/10/china-pearl-river-delta-then-and-now-photographs
This is an old but cool article showing photos of the cities in the PRD not too long ago.

You're right, lol. But I wanted to go to MBK to eat in the food court (it's a pretty dang good food court that I think a lot of just assume it's a generic place to get a bite), but I was dismayed at how an onigiri made her full. She wasn't hungry, but wanted to go see what was for sale there anyway. She tried on some dresses and claimed they made her look fat. It was dumb. I'm glad we didn't go to Platinum Fashion Mall.

Which city is Dumpsville Anhui, I spent like 6 months in Anhui. Its all of them isn't it?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
That is fair, the MBK food court is pretty good.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

EDIT: I forgot the link:
http://www.isidorsfugue.com/2017/08/because-hes-a-young-man-in-bengbu-china.html

quote:

The light conversation soon meandered to American politics. I learned the young man liked Donald Trump. He then added he liked Clinton as well. From the context I assumed he meant Hillary Clinton. It was an interesting mix, but again I didn't inquire further. I just hoped my corn would finish cooking soon.

A little later when it came up that I liked Barack Obama, the young man quickly replied he did not.

Somebody saying they liked Trump and Clinton but not Obama truly piqued my curiosity, corn or no corn. So I asked, "Why don't you like Obama?"

With a self-satisfied smile, he cheerily replied in English, "Because he's a friend of the family."

quote:

After I pushed back against some of his following points, he sat quietly in thought, and I wondered if I had made an impression. A minute or so later he broke his silence and asked, "Are there people in America who don't like black people?"

I replied, "There definitely are." I assumed he was curious about racial issues in the U.S. So I thought it could be valuable to shed some light on the immense challenges the country still faces, despite recent progress.

But before I could continue, he triumphantly declared, "You see. So I'm right."

hakimashou posted:

Which city is Dumpsville Anhui, I spent like 6 months in Anhui. Its all of them isn't it?
Bengbu. A few years ago I met a girl in the US that was from there and she was legitimately disgusted that I had been there, and stopped all conversation with me. I went to a few small places, but I don't remember the names.

Bajaj fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 1, 2018

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Getting some sweet nostalgia from this.

http://www.isidorsfugue.com/2012/09/the-impact-of-chinas-anti-japan.html

quote:

Even if China becomes nothing but tombstones, we must exterminate the Japanese; even if we have to destroy our own country, we must take back the Diaoyu Islands.

A Japanese woman in China said:

quote:

Things have been a bit tense... Yesterday I could see "the Red People" marching right through the street in front of our apartment. Hearing the news and actually seeing them was quite different. I actually felt fear, though I've heard some of those people are getting paid to participate in the march, without really knowing what for.

My daughter's soccer team's practice was cancelled and my husband was refused by 2 taxi drivers. I intend not to go out except to pick up my kids from the school bus for the next few days or however long it may take to calm down. Tomorrow there's supposed to be another big one.

In the Japanese news, they tell about many small clashes that have happened in towns, such as a Japanese civilian getting soup noodles thrown into his face, another had his glasses taken away and broken, etc., none of which is told in the Chinese news. Obviously the Western world doesn't care much about the situation.

I personally don't care to whom the island belongs, I just want everyday security. A lot of the educated, wealthy Chinese people don't care either, they know it's just another camouflage. They're probably bummed that their shopping trip to Japan on October holiday week may be cancelled. :(

This is all just too frustrating...

quote:

Many of the weekend events are cancelled among the Japanese community, because the protesting and demonstration marching get really big on weekends. We think we need to be extra cautious and keep a low profile. The Japanese school in Shanghai decided to cancel all classes for at least next two days, and depending on how the situation turns out after the 18th (supposed to be the big anti-Japan day for Chinese people). There was supposed to be a big sporting event held this weekend, where all the parents and friends get to go watch, but it got postponed 'till next Tuesday, for the time being. There's a big chance it may get cancelled altogether.

Shanghai has quite a few soccer teams which are coached in Japanese by Japanese coaches, where naturally most kids are Japanese, though my daughter's team actually has a few Chinese kids and a Chinese coach, too. The practice was cancelled over the weekend for the same reason as above. The team uses the field that belongs to a Chinese school and there are many other people using the track, the basketball court, and other facilities. We want to avoid any kind of situation that may cause "clashes" between Chinese and Japanese.

I don't think the kids have had first hand experience of such anti-Japanese sentiments yet. In a way they are the least exposed to the real Chinese community, as they take the school bus to and from the Japanese school and don't get a chance to mingle with local kids much, which I personally feel that they are missing out on an opportunity, but living in a country like China, it can't be helped. (Americans or Europeans who send their kids to American, British, or International schools may think they're a bit more "Internationally" exposed, but I don't see much difference in terms of being cut off from the Chinese community.)

Today I had to go to the shop across the street to get enough groceries to last for the next few days. I was quite nervous just to cross the street and was hoping people woudn't be able to tell that I was Japanese (though I think they could).

I felt the same as I was walking back with my kids from the school bus stop back to our building. I figured as long as we stay withing the compound, there shouldn't be a big problem since most people living here are wealthy, educated Chinese along with other foreigners. But as I was entering the door, I heard a voice coming out of the doorman's walkie-talkie, and it completely freaked me out. It supposedly was a voice of another doorman who could see us from a distance saying, "Are they Japanese?". I know my Chinese isn't perfect, but I heard it clearly. I couldn't believe my ears. I just pretended I didn't hear it and walked right into the building, saying "Xie xie" ["Thank you"] to the doorman as usual. This doorman usually says "Bu yong xie" ["You're welcome"] back to me, but today he didn't. Believe it or not, this little incident gave me the biggest FEAR in these past few days. Much more so than seeing the protest marching outside my window.

Having lived in the US as a minority, I've had people say discriminatory words towards me, or look down on me. But this is nothing of that sort. This is a simple, but very strong FEAR towards the unknown, something completely irrational.

As for my husband, he was told to get off after he got onto the taxi once. I think they could tell from his accent.

3 Panasonic factories have been severely destroyed and also a Toyota dealer was burned down, as well as many Japan-related shops and restaurants having been attacked and plundered. The thing is that most of the workers at these factories are Chinese, and they'll be without jobs for the next however many weeks or months until these factories are restored. Also, most of the shops and restaurants are owned by Chinese.

OK, I still have to cook dinner. We still get hungry.
Personally, I can't wait until this starts happening to all foreigners in China. Reparations for the opium wars! Down with imperialism!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'm rather worried about the Chinese annexations going out in full force once the food/water crisis' start - southeast asia is basically the only arable land source remaining by this point.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Anyone else getting a sort of pre-Kristallnacht vibe from that?

fdjkbnadjnbkjldaf
Mar 2, 2016

The Great Autismo! posted:

"look maybe china did a bad thing, but did you know America is also very bad?" whataboutism argument originating in Vancouver...literally the least surprising thing I have seen all day

It's not whataboutism when the u.s. is worse than what the u.s. "citizens" criticize the chinese for. Look onto your own crimes. You will find that China is a lesser evil than the United States is, and with China's commitment towards renewables they are even further ahead than the rest of the west. All of this is the equalizing force that China has over the west in the 15th century. China will surpass you and your white supremacist nature and you need to accept this.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
These posts caricaturing what we imagine D&D wumaos to be like are getting repetitive and maybe more than a little racist tbh

fdjkbnadjnbkjldaf
Mar 2, 2016

Pirate Radar posted:

These posts caricaturing what we imagine D&D wumaos to be like are getting repetitive and maybe more than a little racist tbh

Can you be racist towards the Chinese?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

fdjkbnadjnbkjldaf posted:

Can you be racist towards the Chinese?

I can start talking poo poo about Chinese people right now, but depending on whether you mean “citizens of the PRC” or “people who are ethnically Han” I’ll either get politely nodded at or thrown off this bus.

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Apr 1, 2018

• Locked thread