Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

sporklift posted:

Its kinda CPL593H's thing. And they aren't really wrong. Prices have increased to the point where I am starting to pump the brakes on new releases. $10-15 for a 7" and $30-40 for an LP. gently caress that. If you are on a budget this might not be the time to get into this hobby, especially if you want to start collecting more modern popular releases. That being said I constantly find pretty good deals on stuff. $10-$15 albums can still be found. And sometimes you can still find good budget bin stuff out in the wild. I'm lucky/cursed that I started in the 90's so the base of my collection was substantial before things started going off the rails.

And as far as equipment goes. I started out with hand me downs and thrift store stuff that slowly got replaced with better components. Buying a whole audio set up all at once can be pretty expensive for the most part.

It's been his thing for years and, while tiresome, I'm finally starting to agree that prices are wild. We had a spirited discussion about the prices of new LPs not being that terrible a few months back and even within that time, I've noticed things are finally getting pretty out of hand. It's mostly popular new albums or nostalgia reissues and you can still find most other things reasonably priced like you said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

CPL593H posted:

No, not really.

Newcomers should know exactly what they're getting themselves into because at this point it's not even worth bothering unless the bubble bursts soon. The used market is completely bonkers.

Quoted for truth.

What's pissing me off at the moment is re-releases of old stuff, but instead of a regular 1-LP version of what came before, maybe remastered if they must, it's a 3-LP super-duper version with outtakes I don't care about and just nonsense, and for $60.

Just repress the original for $20 please.

Man, I miss the days of Fugazi and don't pay any more than $10 for this record.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Re. Ozzy, I once got in a big argument with a high school boyfriend about Ozzy vs Dio. I preferred Dio's Black Sabbath over Ozzy's. In my mind, Dio has an amazing voice and Ozzy can't sing for poo poo.

His response was "OKAY, BUT OZZY'S THE BETTER FRONTMAN". Okay, fine, I'm sure that mattered when someone was seeing them live during their prime. But I'm listening to this music on a CD in 2009, I don't give a poo poo that the singer was on stage doing flips or eating turds or whatever back in the 70s!

Anyway, I got three records coming from Japan!

I can't wait to see what kinda weird poo poo is gonna be on that last one:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Dead Goon posted:

Quoted for truth.

What's pissing me off at the moment is re-releases of old stuff, but instead of a regular 1-LP version of what came before, maybe remastered if they must, it's a 3-LP super-duper version with outtakes I don't care about and just nonsense, and for $60.

Just repress the original for $20 please.

Man, I miss the days of Fugazi and don't pay any more than $10 for this record.

Yeah completely agree. I know there's a lot of people that really like packaging and ephemera and that's cool but I just want a durable package with the records. I really like what Tom Petty (well, his estate) did with the Wildflowers reissue. You're obviously not going to get this type of release for anything that isn't highly anticipated, long out of repress, but they had like 6 different packages of varying degrees of extra nonsense.

I'm sure it's tough to decide who you want to please and most record companies are going to jack up the extras/packaging so they can sell it for substantially more but at some point, just sell a regular old record.

Barry fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 17, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dead Goon posted:

Quoted for truth.

Are there particular albums you’re thinking of here?

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
most new records are like $24-26 at the shop which, according to the inflation calculator, is roughly the same as a $16 CD in 1997

on the other hand, literally everyone agreed that $16 CDs were way too loving expensive back then

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Read After Burning posted:

I can't wait to see what kinda weird poo poo is gonna be on that last one:

That looks pretty interesting. I'm intrigued.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

CaptainBeefart posted:

That looks pretty interesting. I'm intrigued.

I'm a few months away from becoming the next big signalwave/broken transmission artist. :colbert:

I also got this, meaning I now have all four songs sampled in Macross 82.99 (ESP by Marlene, Dress Down by Kaoru Akimoto, Don't Stop Loving Me Now by LTD, and now this!)

Fantastic funk/soul song, check it out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aC7NrkGr8I

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 17, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

JAMOOOL posted:

most new records are like $24-26 at the shop which, according to the inflation calculator, is roughly the same as a $16 CD in 1997

on the other hand, literally everyone agreed that $16 CDs were way too loving expensive back then

Yeah, a $16 cd in the late 90s was kind of a gouging but you could still see prices like that at some stores. Not a Nice Price.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

the last CD I bought was that John Coltrane - A Love Supreme Live album and that was about $13 brand new. still too drat high, but I wanted to check it out and not invest in the LP.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Anybody eyeing anything for RSD? I looked over the list and don't see anything of interest to me.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

dorium posted:

the last CD I bought was that John Coltrane - A Love Supreme Live album and that was about $13 brand new. still too drat high, but I wanted to check it out and not invest in the LP.

I bet that's a bit costly on vinyl but not so much as the latest vaporware. New vinyl is redundant, wasteful and accelerates our quickly approaching extinction. This has been a public service announcement by your in-thread ecofascist.

BTW, I like Sun Ships a whole lot, maybe more. If you like A Love Supreme get Sun Ships.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

phosdex posted:

Anybody eyeing anything for RSD? I looked over the list and don't see anything of interest to me.

Maybe Holy Diver, but I have no real love for picture discs, so eh. The Mobb Deep mixtape, maybe? The Shangri-Las and Dusty Springfield comps are also sorta calling to me.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

phosdex posted:

Just the new used bin. best stuff comes out of storage during RSD.

petit choux posted:

I bet that's a bit costly on vinyl but not so much as the latest vaporware. New vinyl is redundant, wasteful and accelerates our quickly approaching extinction. This has been a public service announcement by your in-thread ecofascist.

BTW, I like Sun Ships a whole lot, maybe more. If you like A Love Supreme get Sun Ships.

I'll check it out.

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

petit choux posted:

Why past tense anyway? Did he pass or something when I wasn't paying attention? He's still awful as far as I know.

I've never been able to look at Ozzy the same since watching The Osbournes.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

petit choux posted:

I bet that's a bit costly on vinyl but not so much as the latest vaporware.

I would buy a lot more vaporwave if it was $10 an album. Maybe its a good thing that they are expensive.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

sporklift posted:

I would buy a lot more vaporwave if it was $10 an album. Maybe its a good thing that they are expensive.

So what would be good Vaporwave stuff for me right now anyway?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

sporklift posted:

To me, it's not so much the price of the album themselves, but the shipping...a lot of the vaporwave labels are based in Europe and I'm in the US. There's been several albums that I really wanted, but couldn't justify spending $25 on the album AND $20 in shipping, so I just got the digital version for $4 or whatever instead.

petit choux posted:

So what would be good Vaporwave stuff for me right now anyway?

I am currently excited for this, vinyl version was just announced a few days ago.

https://catsystemcorp.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolitan-dreams

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

To me, it's not so much the price of the album themselves, but the shipping...

To me at this point it's just real estate. I've just about maxed out how much space I'm interested in dedicated to records and I'm lazy as poo poo when it comes to selling things

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

petit choux posted:

You're not wrong but we're turbo hosed anyway so I'm kind of like "meh".

Maybe Holy Diver, but I have no real love for picture discs, so eh. The Mobb Deep mixtape, maybe? The Shangri-Las and Dusty Springfield comps are also sorta calling to me.

Don't pay Record Store Day prices for Dusty Springfield comps. They're really easy to find and rarely cost more than ten bucks. Plus if you're buying old pressings you'll be able to get them in mono and they're obviously going to be all analog pressings. The Shangri-Las album (if it's their fist album) not so much, I would assume you'll more or less pay the same price for the reissue or even a little less.

YES I AM TALKING ABOUT THE PRICES AGAIN BUT THIS TIME BEING HELPFUL. I AM FAR BEYOND A DEEP SENSE OF ENNUI AND I FEEL NOTHING BUT EXHAUSTED ANYMORE.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

CPL593H posted:

Don't pay Record Store Day prices for Dusty Springfield comps. They're really easy to find and rarely cost more than ten bucks. Plus if you're buying old pressings you'll be able to get them in mono and they're obviously going to be all analog pressings. The Shangri-Las album (if it's their fist album) not so much, I would assume you'll more or less pay the same price for the reissue or even a little less.

YES I AM TALKING ABOUT THE PRICES AGAIN BUT THIS TIME BEING HELPFUL. I AM FAR BEYOND A DEEP SENSE OF ENNUI AND I FEEL NOTHING BUT EXHAUSTED ANYMORE.

Fair! Don't worry, I appreciate it. I actually prefer having "look at this cool old album from the 70s" over "shiny new re-press", so yeah.

Barry posted:

To me at this point it's just real estate. I've just about maxed out how much space I'm interested in dedicated to records and I'm lazy as poo poo when it comes to selling things

I'm very lucky to have had a spare room open up at my partner's house (the roommates moved out) last year, so that room has now become my "listen to music and chill out" room. I have three Kallax shelves slowly being filled up, with plenty of room for a fourth one. No plans on kids or new roommates, so I'm set for at least a few years until we can move into a bigger place.

I also have all of our plants on the windowsill above my speakers. I hope they enjoy listening to my music. :3

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I also have all of our plants on the windowsill above my speakers. I hope they enjoy listening to my music. :3

Then obviously you need a copy of Plantasia.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Why are there 87 new posts since this morning

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

CPL593H posted:

I've joked before that this is a modern-day version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkwT5uhBrMI

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

pwn posted:

They announced a sequel to vinyl.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

Someone mentioned Metallica then people dogpiled Metallica. Then I complained about how much stuff costs and a bunch of people were like "Oh god, this guy and his annoying posting gimmick.". It's pretty safe to just skip all of it.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

CPL593H posted:

I play The Journey Through the Secret Life of Plants for mine

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

CPL593H posted:

It's pretty safe to just skip all of it.

No, I demand everyone look at my cool records from Japan. :colbert:

I don't feel like I'm quite into this hobby enough yet to really "get" the re-issue label memes, but this made me laugh a lot.

https://twitter.com/lightintheattic/status/1460267247314763780

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

No, I demand everyone look at my cool records from Japan. :colbert:

I'll amend my post.

It's safe to skip all of it except Read After Burning's posts.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

CPL593H posted:

I'll amend my post.

It's safe to skip all of it except Read After Burning's posts.

Nah, my posts themselves are poo poo, just look at the pictures. :P

Speaking of Japanese records, how y'all feel about obi strips? I like the ones that fully slide onto the record sleeve, but the ones that just kinda....cling to the spine suck rear end.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nah, my posts themselves are poo poo, just look at the pictures. :P

Speaking of Japanese records, how y'all feel about obi strips? I like the ones that fully slide onto the record sleeve, but the ones that just kinda....cling to the spine suck rear end.

Yeah I don't like the latter kind because it's a pain in the rear end to put them back into the outer sleeves with the album cover. I only have a handful of records with obi strips anyway.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Obi's are cool, but I aint paying a $40 markup to get them on older records.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

Obi's are cool, but I aint paying a $40 markup to get them on older records.

Agreed. It's like slip covers on blu-rays. It's kind of a fun thing to have but it doesn't really enhance the purchase and I can't understand why people go shithouse for them.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

You need some Green-House in your plants life!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

CPL593H posted:

Agreed. It's like slip covers on blu-rays. It's kind of a fun thing to have but it doesn't really enhance the purchase and I can't understand why people go shithouse for them.

I like slipcovers if they have alternate art compared to the actual case, but the ones that are literally just the exact same printing as the case (including all the ratings, language, etc) on both sides go right in the recycling bin. I'll take the extra step of removing another piece of cardboard, but not if it looks exactly the same as the cover below it.

Looking at my Adult Swim DVDs (ATHF, Squidbillies, Harvey Birdman) reminded me....Adult Swim used to do some GREAT DVD packaging.

CaptainBeefart posted:

You need some Green-House in your plants life!

Ha, I just added this to my Bandcamp wishlist! Thank you.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Maybe you need one of these:

*on the Pip label

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

only trade off with the slip cover is that it does indeed keep the plastic from rubbing on each other when cases are sitting on a shelf. the last time I re-org'd my movie collection I found some super warped DVD covers and some blu-rays that were starting to show that weird wrinkle effect. Thankfully I had some leftover from a project I was doing a few months prior so I could swap out at least the blu-rays.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I like slipcovers if they have alternate art compared to the actual case, but the ones that are literally just the exact same printing as the case (including all the ratings, language, etc) on both sides go right in the recycling bin. I'll take the extra step of removing another piece of cardboard, but not if it looks exactly the same as the cover below it.

Looking at my Adult Swim DVDs (ATHF, Squidbillies, Harvey Birdman) reminded me....Adult Swim used to do some GREAT DVD packaging.

Ha, I just added this to my Bandcamp wishlist! Thank you.

The worst thing was when DVD cases had those two little latches you had to flip to open the case. They were completely redundant. I use to just rip them off.

petit choux posted:

Maybe you need one of these:

*on the Pip label

100% chance that guy is dead now.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

The worst thing was when DVD cases had those two little latches you had to flip to open the case. They were completely redundant. I use to just rip them off.

100% chance that guy is dead now.

Well my BIL looked just like him and he's dead so I guess you're onto somethin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

petit choux posted:

Well my BIL looked just like him and he's dead so I guess you're onto somethin'.

Did you ever see you brother in law and this plant guy in the same room?