Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

I bet that neither of these lovely cats sheds. Not even a little bit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

First kinda looks like a Maine Coon, maybe a mix. Fur follows them everywhere.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The nerds in the PC building thread couldn't help besides a "lol apple", so I'll try here. I'm looking to build a (Windows) computer with an LG Ultrafine 4k:

Are there (PC) video cards that work with USB-C Thunderbolt 3 Monitors? I'm looking at a LG UltraFine and was wondering what the compatibility looks like with video cards.

Do they need some time of converter in general, or do TB3 video cards commonly exist?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If you're supposed to be touching the touchbar for "Save" and "Cancel" and poo poo like that, it makes more sense to me that it should be below the spacebar, where you can reach it without moving your hands very much.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

If you're supposed to be touching the touchbar for "Save" and "Cancel" and poo poo like that, it makes more sense to me that it should be below the spacebar, where you can reach it without moving your hands very much.

Or perhaps on the side of the keyboard, where the speakers are now. Although that could create a righty/lefty issue.

As it stands you have to move your hands off the keys regardless. They should make it so Siri is responsive enough to quickly respond to on screen prompts. That's about the only thing that's faster than moving your hands and it's probably the least embarrassing commands you can say to computer in public.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Anyone have a good idea on what a high-end 2014 macbook pro should sell for on Craigslist? Mine has these specs:

15" MacBook pro with Retina Display, mid 2014
2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB RAM
512 GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching
AppleCare through November 2017

I listed it at $1575 over the weekend and have had zero bites except from PayPal scammers.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I think the best thing to do is check ebay for completed auctions with your specs.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Selling my MBP for $400. Please tell your friends.

https://imgur.com/gallery/NoCix

So are people supposed to just guess what mystery model of macbook pro you have? Or is a secret until they get it? :)

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 2, 2016

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

mitztronic posted:

So are people supposed to just guess what mystery model of macbook pro you have? Or is a secret until they get it? :)

The 4th image in the gallery is a blowup of the serial number, which if you plug into checkcoverage.apple.com says it's a Mid-2012 13-inch MacBook Pro.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
My main concern with the touch bar at this point is if there's a way to force shutdown in the event that the graphics driver crashes. Unless there's a keyboard shortcut I don't know about.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Phoenixan posted:

My main concern with the touch bar at this point is if there's a way to force shutdown in the event that the graphics driver crashes. Unless there's a keyboard shortcut I don't know about.

I think there were reports that the TouchID sensor is a physical button which I imagine would double as a power button when held down.

I have obviously not gotten to play with one in person so I don't know, but there is still a physical button where the power button used to be if tech reporters are to be believed.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

It is a physical button and will power off the system if held down long enough

eames
May 9, 2009

I guess that's what happens when you put a small battery in a tiny case and optimize for efficiency.

source: arstechnica

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Verge has posted their review of the new MacBook Pro (non-Touchbar 13" model at least)

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/2/13490774/apple-macbook-pro-review-2016-13-inch-laptop

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

mulls posted:

Anyone have a good idea on what a high-end 2014 macbook pro should sell for on Craigslist? Mine has these specs:

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB RAM
512 GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching

I listed it at $1575 over the weekend and have had zero bites except from PayPal scammers.

People in this very thread said that I was going to pay too much when I was trying to buy one yesterday for $1300 and said I shouldn't pay more than $1100.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Mordiceius posted:

People in this very thread said that I was going to pay too much when I was trying to buy one yesterday for $1300 and said I shouldn't pay more than $1100.

Interesting, because here are the ebay sellings of the same specs just from october:

$1,304.00
$1,200.00
$1,150.00
$1,300.00
$1,226.50
$1,351.00
$1,345.00

Most had 15+ bids. Looks like the lowest one had some cosmetic damage and was missing the box and whatnot. SO ya, at least it is overpriced at 1575

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mulls posted:

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB RAM
512 GB SSD

It wouldn't be hard to find a 2013 with the same specs for almost half that.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Cingulate posted:

I'm really optimistic wrt. the Touchbar:

More mouse-free work. Clicking popup boxes annoys me.

You can already do this just as easily by enabling full navigation of pop-up menus in system prefs -> keyboard options.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Bob Morales posted:

It wouldn't be hard to find a 2013 with the same specs for almost half that.

I'd love to know where you are magically finding all of these cheap MacBooks because nothing you have said wrt pricing has matched up with what I have seen.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Thanks all. I'll re-post it tonight at $1375 and see what happens.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

I'd love to know where you are magically finding all of these cheap MacBooks because nothing you have said wrt pricing has matched up with what I have seen.

Bought this one on eBay a while back

8/256 model...got a 16/512 on the forums for 740 a month ago too

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
e: alright then

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

eames posted:

I guess that's what happens when you put a small battery in a tiny case and optimize for efficiency.

source: arstechnica

Yeah, I'm still not completely sold on one, but after wading through the PC shopping swamp trying to find something that compares in build quality and battery life, I'm back to square one.

If you didn't have to buy the maxed out model to get 16GB on the Dell I could maybe sell myself that one.

It was either in the review itself or one of the comments, but they pointed out there was no longer any real 'value leader' in the new lineup. It's just one upward slippery slope of upgrades. That's probably the idea, but it also has the effect of making you not feel good about any of the choices.

Chilled Milk fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 2, 2016

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

mulls posted:

Thanks all. I'll re-post it tonight at $1375 and see what happens.

If you are located in the Bay Area, or willing to ship, PM me and maybe we can work something out.

Bob Morales posted:

Bought this one on eBay a while back

8/256 model...got a 16/512 on the forums for 740 a month ago too

Guess I just have terrible timing as I'm not finding these anywhere. :shrug:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Guess I just have terrible timing as I'm not finding these anywhere. :shrug:
Don't get me wrong, you have to be patient. If you want to buy one right this second, of course you're going to pay more.

Here's a loaded late-2013 for $1075 OBO, it's been listed for almost 2 weeks on [H] so I'm sure you could get it for $1000 even. Still not that great of a price though.

https://hardforum.com/threads/fs-macbook-pro-retina-15-i7-2-3-512ssd-16gb-ram-late-2013.1915395/#post-1042610175

It seemed like the used market tightened up as people waited for the new ones to come out and now people are holding on to them. But there's people on MacRumors trying to get people to bid the old machines up. The time to buy would have been this summer.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

It seemed like the used market tightened up as people waited for the new ones to come out and now people are holding on to them. But there's people on MacRumors trying to get people to bid the old machines up. The time to buy would have been this summer.

Yeah. Totally does seem that way. I had been waiting for my student loan money. I've been looking at the 2014/2015 15inch 512s as I'm in grad school for film and plan on using it for light audio/video editing. I've been checking the Bay Area Craigslist daily and they don't seem to fluctuate too much or too low. I have a few more weeks, but need to get it at the latest by early December. (Though sooner is preferable but not necessary.)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Bob Morales posted:

The Verge has posted their review of the new MacBook Pro (non-Touchbar 13" model at least)

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/2/13490774/apple-macbook-pro-review-2016-13-inch-laptop

I seriously wonder how much people would complain about #DONGLEGATE if they were called by a non-juvenile-sounding word.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dangerllama posted:

You can already do this just as easily by enabling full navigation of pop-up menus in system prefs -> keyboard options.
I have that enabled. It is clearly different.

The Milkman posted:

Yeah, I'm still not completely sold on one, but after wading through the PC shopping swamp trying to find something that compares in build quality and battery life, I'm back to square one.
Yeah, that's where I ended up too.

eames posted:

Yeah, that' about settles it.
Wouldn't hurt to see decent battery life for actual compute usage though.

Vegetable posted:

I don't think so; first of all, it's stuff you're supposed to touch less frequently. Second, it's stuff where you have to look where it is, so it needs to be close to where your eyes are anyways - near the screen.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

8ender posted:

I read an impassioned soliloquy from a LOYAL APPLE web developer about how 16GB of RAM wasn't enough for MY WORKFLOW and that APPLE DOESNT CARE ABOUT PRO USERS and knew this year was going to be a banner year for Macbook sales. I imagine they sighed dramatically before clicking buy on the Apple Store.

How does a web developer require 32GB of RAM?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MrBond posted:

How does a web developer require 32GB of RAM?

Full stack development where you're hosting a kubernetes cluster including your database and a bunch of microservices locally? That would do it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Full stack development where you're hosting a kubernetes cluster including your database and a bunch of microservices locally? That would do it.

Plus like iTunes and 13 Chrome tabs.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Chrome on a Mac :gonk:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

As John Gruber put it:

quote:

“The Downsides of Depending Upon a Company With a Relatively Sparse Product Lineup When Your Personal Needs Are Outside the Mainstream”.

Apple's entire lineup will be USB-C come Spring at the latest, hardware manufacturers are going to fall all over themselves to fill in any holes, the new revs of iPhone and iPad will come with a USB-C charger and cable, and people will adapt.

Also, losing Magsafe is worth not having to rely on proprietary Apple power adapters.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I seriously wonder how much people would complain about #DONGLEGATE if they were called by a non-juvenile-sounding word.

literally no one has called it donglegate. also what does that name have to do with being forced to pay more to do the same thing old macbook pros could do?

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm running our .NET stack in a VM while doing front-end, 16GB is suffering.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Also, losing Magsafe is worth not having to rely on proprietary Apple power adapters.

I hadn't even thought about that. Definitely a nice bonus!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

literally no one has called it donglegate. also what does that name have to do with being forced to pay more to do the same thing old macbook pros could do?

How I wish you were right.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

the new revs of iPhone and iPad will come with a USB-C charger and cable
Lol no

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Strong Sauce posted:

#donglegate is tag trending on twitter.

Also, who's forcing you to do anything? You don't like it, you vote with your wallet. Walk away or buy a refurb of last years model.

Gas this thread. Someone start another one that has questions revolving around the hardware instead of people crying because a product doesn't meet their needs. This is exactly why Mac events need their own thread. Christ.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Apple should license magsafe if they aren't using it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I'd bet on it. I'm certain they'll ship them with *both* cables, USBC and USBA, and while they certainly could continue to ship with a USB-A charger I think they've started the ball rolling downhill. Let's be real, the only thing 95% of people plug their iPhone into is the charger it came with.