Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Why get rid of it then?

Got another kid on the way, and the CX-30 is barely big enough for the one we already have! I would’ve kept it otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Condoms are cheaper than cars :v:

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Condoms are cheaper than cars :v:

$400 for 2 years? Depends on how active you are I guess

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Op mentions they know but by the time they get a larger car they're going to be out a lot more than $400 between new car MSRP inflation, used car market shortages/inflation, and the differences in financing cost.

Even if they were just getting a new CX-30, IIRC the MSRPs have ticked up a few grand in the intervening years for example. And these rate hikes are bringing the bite back into financing cost.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
My 04 Acura TL got smashed up in a parking lot and GEICO just cut me a check for the damages and it's for more than the car is worth so I think it's time to part ways and get a new vehicle.

Proposed Budget: 30-40kish...planning to put at least 10k down
New or Used: New - the $$ difference between used late model and new in my area is negligible
Body Style: Heavily leaning sedan/crossover but open to other styles if it's got what I want in budget
How will you be using the car?: Commuting and errands, biggest thing I'd have to haul would be a bike or a paddle board. I do appreciate good car audio and would like Android Auto but don't need all the bells and whistles.
What aspects are most important to you? MPG, safety, reliability. Definitely feel like hybrid is a requirement so I can get something with solid gas efficiency. I rent and don't have access to a dedicated outlet for charging so EV/PHEV isn't a great option.

Mostly looking at various trims for Accord, Camry, RAV4 so far. I view cars mostly as a transportation appliance but I didn't love the experience of driving a Prius, or the styling, which is why it's not on the list. I'd like to have just a small amount of fun driving whatever I wind up with even if it won't be as fun as the TL. The Lexus ES hybrid looks good but is probably out of my price range new, and lol at the used market.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Lexus ES is exactly what I would recommend actually. Get a SeaSucker contraption for your bike so you don’t have to install a hitch. Then bask in the glory of the analog clock in the dash. I don’t know if the hybrid has it, but sport mode on my non hybrid ES is fun. I can definitely feel a touchier difference in the handling when it’s on. And when it’s off, it’s like driving a big comfy couch.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
How much are you driving in a year? The reason I ask is that you will in fact pay a premium for a hybrid and it may not be particularly worth while to do so.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

How much are you driving in a year? The reason I ask is that you will in fact pay a premium for a hybrid and it may not be particularly worth while to do so.

About 15k, mostly city and dealing with California gas prices. The TL was not particularly great on efficiency in those conditions and I grew kinda weary of it the last couple years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

McKracken posted:

About 15k, mostly city and dealing with California gas prices. The TL was not particularly great on efficiency in those conditions and I grew kinda weary of it the last couple years.

yeah you're probably a reasonable candidate for a hybrid, then

The Accord and Camry are tough to beat for hybrid sedans, although the Fusion Hybrid is quite a good car, was made in large quantities, and is a lot less expensive on the used market. For CUVs I would again go either Honda or Toyota. I generally prefer the way Hondas drive and if being slightly fun to drive is important to you, you'll do better with Honda. Toyota Venza could be another decent CUV choice, it's basically a more plush RAV-4.

The ES is a great car but it is very much not fun to drive. Anyone who tells you that sport mode on an ES is fun has never driven a fun car in their life.

Unfortunately you need a car like right now or the 2023 Prius would be a good choice as it is better looking with a less crappy driving experience.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Awesome - really appreciate the insight. Gonna start scheduling test drives for all the models discussed!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Used Panamera wagon hybrid

e: that was a total joke BUT I've just looked and you can indeed get a Panamera hybrid for $30-40k

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 4, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Used Panamera wagon hybrid

e: that was a total joke BUT I've just looked and you can indeed get a Panamera hybrid for $30-40k

Don't forget to add in the cost of services and towing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thread favorite G11 BMW 7 Series is available as a 740e xDrive model and used ones are getting under 30k.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Thread favorite G11 BMW 7 Series is available as a 740e xDrive model and used ones are getting under 30k.

Perfect

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I endorse this suggestion

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The ES is a great car but it is very much not fun to drive. Anyone who tells you that sport mode on an ES is fun has never driven a fun car in their life.

:flip: Just @ me next time! Sorry I don’t have that sweet sweet computer toucher money.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

:flip: Just @ me next time! Sorry I don’t have that sweet sweet computer toucher money.

This isn't a matter of money, bub. You drive an appliance that is worth more than a lot of actually fun cars. You just chose a boring one, that's all. It's not a commentary on your finances, it's a commentary on your lack of experience as you're giving lovely advice.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Motronic posted:

This isn't a matter of money, bub. You drive an appliance that is worth more than a lot of actually fun cars. You just chose a boring one, that's all. It's not a commentary on your finances, it's a commentary on your lack of experience as you're giving lovely advice.

I’m listening—what’s possibly more fun at $25k and has an analog clock?
e; this is *me* asking for advice now

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 5, 2023

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Motronic was bein his usual dick self but do you want a trophy that says "sportiest car under 25k*** ***with an analog clock***"?

Cage fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 5, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/723b7739-5bb6-480b-9d9c-ddb79226291c/

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Miata with a cartoon alarm clock duck taped to the accessory dash.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah dude sure: you, Jedi Knight Luigi, you don’t know poo poo about fun to drive. You can get fun to drive for 10k used, it ain’t a money thing.

For your stupid hypothetical: 986 with Sport Chrono package. Hell the G37 had an analog clock and it’s a lot more fun than an ES. gently caress, a Chrysler 300S is more fun than an ES and has an analog clock.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Wait is that what sport chrono means

I thought it meant there was built in telematics or something, it's just an analog clock pm the dash?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

And a drive mode selector on the steering wheel.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Wait is that what sport chrono means

I thought it meant there was built in telematics or something, it's just an analog clock pm the dash?

It gives you drive modes. If you don't buy it, you can't use sport mode or launch control. It also includes a clock/stopwatch on the dash, but only so everyone can tell you bought the package.

Yes, you're right, that multi thousand dollar package IS basically free for Porsche and the car should just come with it. But if you don't get it, you're going to be the only sucker with a 911 that doesn't have a sport mode button. Pay up.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

There is a sport mode button even without SC, it's just on the centre console rather than the dial on the wheel.

E: lol

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 5, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

There is a sport mode button even without SC, it's just on the centre console rather than the dial on the wheel.

E: lol

Just wait until you see that changing the background color of the clock is 420 freedom bucks. :420:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I know this has already been beaten to death, but I do love making a base 911 cost more than a turbo s with stupid / hideous options.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Can I ask a really stupid question? When you say 911 out loud is it 9-1-1 or 9-11? Got into a dumb argument with my husband last night lol.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's a "Nine Eleven". I've never heard anyone say it any other way.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

It's only 9-1-1 if it's on fire.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Wtf. It is clearly “nine hundred and eleven”.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

You actually say it like this: "porsh :911:"

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Motronic posted:

Ok, this is what I thought and my husband was totally gaslighting me! He was like “why would they name a car after 9/11?”
Yes, there is a lot to unpack there.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

neun-elfer

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

remigious posted:

Ok, this is what I thought and my husband was totally gaslighting me! He was like “why would they name a car after 9/11?”
Yes, there is a lot to unpack there.

Ask him for me how they knew about 9/11 in 1964 when this model was first produced.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Easy mistake but Porch 9 1 1 is the name of my new reality renovation show coming soon to Magnolia network.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Motronic posted:

Ask him for me how they knew about 9/11 in 1964 when this model was first produced.

I told him it was late 50s (couldn’t remember off the top of my head) but glad I was close! I grew up going to vw shows due to my father’s line of work and I have no idea how I didn’t marry a car guy.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

remigious posted:

I told him it was late 50s (couldn’t remember off the top of my head) but glad I was close! I grew up going to vw shows due to my father’s line of work and I have no idea how I didn’t marry a car guy.

TBH lots of car guys are just lovely people. I say this as one whose most frequently visited forum is AI.
Though AI is generally pretty full of non-lovely car guys but still....

Motronic posted:

"They" knew that 9/11 was going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Some porsche dude on September 11th: "gently caress"