Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Imagined posted:

Since someone mentioned it ITT I started listening to the audiobook of 'In the Shadow of the Sword' and really like the writing style and narrator. Since the goon who mentioned it used a $10 word lacunae instead of "flaws", though, I didn't immediately realize that the book was controversial until I started reading about it.

Being a western atheist and ignorant of the subject, I have no idea whom to believe on this matter. Whether the author or the critics are the ones pushing an agenda, or whether criticism is inevitable for an unbeliever writing about the origins of Islam.

At the very least I think Holland convincingly makes the case that the birth of Islam is a murkier subject than commonly believed. Any more detailed claims are probably controversial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
What got me suspicious were how many of the blurbs praising the book on its Amazon description were from right wing British tabloids, plus the Daily Beast, which is hardly where I'd go for recommendations on history books.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 6, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Most of Holland's work is uncritically repeating the words of ancient historians in an approachable, easy-to-read way. Like Rubicon and Persian Fire are probably the best introductions to the fall of the Roman republic and the Greek-Persian wars, but there's practically nothing new in them you won't find in dozens of other books. In the Shadow of the Sword is his only book I'm aware of that has seemingly controversial or novel scholarship. Now, that doesn't mean it's wrong, but he's definitely writing outside of his comfort zone for it, which raises at least one red flag.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I stumbled upon an interested quote that relates to some of the discussion of Greek identity in the Roman Empire people were having recently, taken from the tenth century De Administrando Imperio regarding a small Peloponnesian town on the Mani peninsula:

Constantine VII posted:

Be it known that the inhabitants of Castle Maina are not from the race of aforesaid Slavs (Melingoi and Ezeritai dwelling on the Taygetus) but from the older Romaioi, who up to the present time are termed Hellenes by the local inhabitants on account of their being in olden times idolaters and worshippers of idols like the ancient Greeks, and who were baptized and became Christians in the reign of the glorious Basil. The place in which they live is waterless and inaccessible, but has olives from which they gain some consolation.

I'm not entirely sure how to interpret it, the curious can find the original Greek on page 224 of this edition. However my impression is that in this time, the residents of this region refer to those that are still pagan (or were until recently at least) as Greeks, while those who have converted to christianity have taken to calling themselves Roman. Or maybe it's the local slavs who call all Greek speakers Hellenes? I just thought it was an interesting bit of information on Byzantine identity.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My reading is that at some point, the locals called christian green romaioi, and pagan greeks hellenes. The names stuck even after the hellenes converted.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I know this is history but the dead languages thread in SAL has ironically been dead for over a year.

Duolingo is supposedly coming out with a Latin beta in September but I am very impatient. I am also poor. Are there any good websites or free/cheap resources to start learning Latin now?

give up

do something edifying like sending me your money

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
does anybody have reading suggestions on pre-industrial, proto-anarchist movements? The true levellers/diggers as one example?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Squalid posted:

I stumbled upon an interested quote that relates to some of the discussion of Greek identity in the Roman Empire people were having recently, taken from the tenth century De Administrando Imperio regarding a small Peloponnesian town on the Mani peninsula:

I ran across this recently too. Hellene was used to refer to pagans worshiping the Olympian gods. Part of Roman identity in this era was being Christian.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Imagined posted:

Since someone mentioned it ITT I started listening to the audiobook of 'In the Shadow of the Sword' and really like the writing style and narrator. Since the goon who mentioned it used a $10 word lacunae instead of "flaws", though, I didn't immediately realize that the book was controversial until I started reading about it.

Being a western atheist and ignorant of the subject, I have no idea whom to believe on this matter. Whether the author or the critics are the ones pushing an agenda, or whether criticism is inevitable for an unbeliever writing about the origins of Islam.
I paid :10bux: for this forum I can afford to throw them around :smugbert:

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I know this is history but the dead languages thread in SAL has ironically been dead for over a year.

Duolingo is supposedly coming out with a Latin beta in September but I am very impatient. I am also poor. Are there any good websites or free/cheap resources to start learning Latin now?

If you want a better Latin textbook, try Lingua Latina.

Legonium is also pretty cute, if you're talking about starting knowing zero Latin.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ecce Romani for life

Cornelia et Flavia sunt puellae quae in Italia habitat.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The one true way to learn Latin is from repeated scouring of Ars Amatoria and Remedia Amoris while a celibate dude threatens you with corporeal punishment.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Cornelia et Flavia sunt puellae quae in Italia habitant.
:agesilaus:

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

CommonShore posted:

The one true way to learn Latin is from repeated scouring of Ars Amatoria and Remedia Amoris while a celibate dude threatens you with corporeal punishment.

kinky

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ecce Romani for life

Fight me. Yes, I have opinions on Latin textbooks.

CommonShore posted:

Okay, I like you.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ecce Romani for life

ecce! in pictura est puella, nomine Flavia.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ecce Romani for life

A pale shadow to the real first family of Latin textbooks, Caecilius et al. :colbert:

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Grumio ancillam delectat.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Goddam you

ECCE SEXTE, CAUDAM MOVENT

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Somehow even though I took only one year of Latin in 6th grade more than 20 years ago the whole Caecilius / Grumio / Quintus story really stuck with me. I looked it up for the first time this year, I had no idea it was so popular.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

I think the only Quintus story I know from Latin comes from the Oxford Latin books my school used.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

If it's any consolation, all these textbooks seem to be much more fun than what I had (in 70s/80s Germany).
And I still haven't finished this, although it's been lying on my couch for months.
That one also has a few cases of mismatched numerus or genus...

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just learn all the famous Latin phrases and drop them all the time and everyone will assume you know Latin.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Dulce er decorum est pro forum probatio.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Cyrano4747 posted:

Dulce er decorum est pro forum probatio.

faescripto is what I'm seeing online for shitpost, which I think fits better.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ave Lowtax, faescripturi te salutant

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Just learn all the famous Latin phrases and drop them all the time and everyone will assume you know Latin.

You jest, but this is literally what Wheelock does and is intended to do.

To try to keep this topic more in keeping with the thread: one of the really cool things about the ongoing "how to teach a language" is that learning the grammar isn't how it was done in the Classical Mediterranean world at all. That was apparently dialogue between a teacher and students. There are a few extant copies of Latin texts (aimed at Greek-speaking students) that essentially start, "I got out of bed and brushed my teeth. . . "

My favorite quote (I may be misremembering) is from Cato the Elder, who said that if you want to learn Greek, get a wet nurse who speaks it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Or get a degree in Roman history and everyone will assume it.

I still get friends I've known for like a decade asking me to translate Latin for them and I have to remind them I have never so much as opened a Latin textbook or taken a minute of class.

E: People might be curious how this works. Basically you do your bachelor's in history. When you move on to grad school, there are two paths: classics and history. If you go for classics, every program I've seen requires you to be functional in Latin, Ancient Greek, and two of the four modern languages that classical scholarship is done in: English, French, Italian, or German. History, you don't need to know poo poo about languages.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 9, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Grand Fromage posted:

Or get a degree in Roman history and everyone will assume it.

I still get friends I've known for like a decade asking me to translate Latin for them and I have to remind them I have never so much as opened a Latin textbook or taken a minute of class.

E: People might be curious how this works. Basically you do your bachelor's in history. When you move on to grad school, there are two paths: classics and history. If you go for classics, every program I've seen requires you to be functional in Latin, Ancient Greek, and two of the four modern languages that classical scholarship is done in: English, French, Italian, or German. History, you don't need to know poo poo about languages.

That seems like it would limit your interaction with the primary texts somewhat, tho?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm listening to the history of Byzantium and i love the demes so much

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Greens or Blues? Be careful what you say.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Zopotantor posted:

Greens or Blues? Be careful what you say.

As a whole, as a concept.

Plus they remind me of Calico Storico.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

CommonShore posted:

So this is by someone not the History of Rome podcast guy (the Revolutions guy), nor is it by the Fall of Rome podcast guy?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
The History of Byzantium podcast has been slow lately since the host is getting married and also doing his Istanbul documentary. In the mean time I've really been enjoying The History of the Papacy and Beyond the Big Screen (covers historical movies) by Stephen Guerra, The History of England which has a surprisingly large number of characters in common with Byzantium, The History of the Vikings podcast and the In Our Time: History show by the BBC.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Thanks for the reccs! This coincides well with me finally making it through the many year history of rome/byzantium backlog.

Schadenboner posted:

So this is by someone not the History of Rome podcast guy (the Revolutions guy), nor is it by the Fall of Rome podcast guy?

Basically it’s a Mike Duncan (history of rome) fan who didn’t want the podcast to end so he continued it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

tildes posted:

Basically it’s a Mike Duncan (history of rome) fan who didn’t want the podcast to end so he continued it.

Yep, it's good.

Schadenboner posted:

That seems like it would limit your interaction with the primary texts somewhat, tho?

Plenty of people just work with translations. There's no shortage of them.

Even though it isn't a requirement, if I were in a situation where getting a Roman history PhD was a thing that would happen, I'd learn Latin and Greek. But that isn't going to happen so gently caress 'em.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

OctaviusBeaver posted:

The History of Byzantium podcast has been slow lately since the host is getting married and also doing his Istanbul documentary. In the mean time I've really been enjoying The History of the Papacy and Beyond the Big Screen (covers historical movies) by Stephen Guerra, The History of England which has a surprisingly large number of characters in common with Byzantium, The History of the Vikings podcast and the In Our Time: History show by the BBC.

Someone should fan-edit these Pulp Fiction style.

123 Not It.

E: Is there a good history podcast thread?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Schadenboner posted:

History of Byzantium is by Robin Pierson, a british guy who has put as much, if not more effort into his podcast as Mike Duncan did. He first started the podcast trying to follow Mike's format but he eventually developed and adapted to his own style. Episodes range from 20 min to 1h sometimes more depending on the subject.

As stated in a earlier reply, the podcast has been slow in the last few months due to many projects such as his wedding and a documentary from his trip to Istanbul (Not Constantinople).

I highly recommend.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

And much like History of Rome, the first episodes are rough while he figures out how to podcast then it gets solid. He's already done more episodes than Duncan and is only up to the late 1000s. It has a lot more detail. Not a knock on Mike, the medieval period is much better documented than classical Rome so you can go into more depth from the primary sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah to all of that. I'm on about ep 35 right now. Whenever he says "And the demes did (insert insane thing here)" I can't help but cheer. I just love the notion of insane sport fans becoming street gangs becoming organized criminals becoming politically significant factions becoming a militia occasionally tasked with imperial defense. I also love the fact that they regularly fall to murdering each other while they're doing actually important things.