Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Zeth posted:

bought a pile of stuff at a concert. was good. there's also a poster which at the time of taking that i had left in the car but was too lazy to return for since i'd just spent three and a half hours driving

They're playing less than a hundred miles from me in 2 nights but my wife is on call and I can't go.

Sad face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

They're playing less than a hundred miles from me in 2 nights but my wife is on call and I can't go.

Sad face.

Don't take wife, get new ghost wife at show.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Bought a cheap 5-in-1 reflector set from Jeff Bezos' big website for film things

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Bought an Nvidia Shield 4K HDR, because it was cheaper and easier than replacing my lovely Samsung "Smart" Tv with something actually functional.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah my Samsung smart tv is just a neutered display with a game console as my streaming device. I had to remove all network settings and unplug the lan cable when I realized there were no settings to get the ads out of my face in the menu or to not automatically switch to some terrible SamsungTV channel as soon as I turned off my ps4.

The whole thing seems more designed to advertise and steal data than to not be poo poo but the cost of the TVs are usually worth it if you have something else to be “smart.”

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Rolo posted:

Yeah my Samsung smart tv is just a neutered display with a game console as my streaming device. I had to remove all network settings and unplug the lan cable when I realized there were no settings to get the ads out of my face in the menu or to not automatically switch to some terrible SamsungTV channel as soon as I turned off my ps4.

The whole thing seems more designed to advertise and steal data than to not be poo poo but the cost of the TVs are usually worth it if you have something else to be “smart.”

I have said it here before and I will say it again. Do not connect your TV to the internet. All of the major brands (Samsung, Sony, LG...to name a few) do targeted ads and analytics of what you watch.

Not like a Google Chromecast doesn't but at least Google doesn't put the ads on your screen (just other devices which is creepier to some extent).

I bought some stuff this past weekend

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

evobatman posted:

Bought an Nvidia Shield 4K HDR, because it was cheaper and easier than replacing my lovely Samsung "Smart" Tv with something actually functional.

I'm debating between this and the released tomorrow roku ultra. I want the 4k's and the hdr's and for plex to not need to transcode. Why this over roku?

Right now I am on a tivo bolt but the writing is on the wall with them. It can also only do around 15mbps avg bit rate 4k hevc.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

I'm an adult who is good with money.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
1k dollars, seriously...does it at least come with Jar Jar, the only good starwars character?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

OniPanda posted:

I'm an adult who is good with money.
I support your choices *imperial march plays*

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I bought a new phone, a Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 and it's a whole lotta phone for the price

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Simone Poodoin posted:

I bought a new phone, a Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 and it's a whole lotta phone for the price

Its spying on you.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Simone Poodoin posted:

New phone buddy! I got an LG G8. I loving love it.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Coredump posted:

Its spying on you.

so is every other phone, the only choice is who spies on me

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Simone Poodoin posted:

so is every other phone, the only choice is who spies on me

Yeah but the way that one will spy on you will be new and different.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

LifeSunDeath posted:

1k dollars, seriously...does it at least come with Jar Jar, the only good starwars character?

It was $700, cheaper than the UCS Falcon :colbert:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
One of these

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

You know perfectly well that people are going to ask which orifice you use it on.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

I pre-ordered a gopro hero 8 black for use on vacation in January. It was $100 off if you trade in any digital camera that retailed for over $100.

Super good with money since my gopro hero 3 black never gets used :haw:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Powerbeats Pro. They were $50 off at Best Buy but still stupid expensive. However their battery life is ridiculous, sound great, they don't fall out of my ears no matter what and are completely waterproof. I'm an Android user and they still provide all the same functionality. Google will probably announce their own pair in a few days but I bet they won't be as good.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Vans did a collab with Nightmare Before Christmas and I really love the Oogie boogie man since he's fat, obnoxious and obsessed with dice games

I guess Vans is bad or something but I am a lowly consumer and just want to eke out another day on this bitch of a earth

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Vans did a collab with Nightmare Before Christmas and I really love the Oogie boogie man since he's fat, obnoxious and obsessed with dice games

I guess Vans is bad or something but I am a lowly consumer and just want to eke out another day on this bitch of a earth

I say this in the best way possible, I would have died for those as a middle school emo

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Coffee And Pie posted:

I say this in the best way possible, I would have died for those as a middle school emo

It's kind of a bummer that Nightmare Before Christmas got coopted by emo goth weirdos, but also it's 2019 so everyone who doesn't suck is cool

Also this year there's a Friday the 13th in December which is the perfect time to watch it again

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's kind of a bummer that Nightmare Before Christmas got coopted by emo goth weirdos

Being a goth and knowing a ton of goths.....it didn't get coopted, it was like tailor made for emo goth weirdos :cheeky:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I only learned recently that Tim Burton did not direct that movie. It feels like the most Tim Burton movie ever made.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I remember liking the Nightmare Before Xmas a lot when I was a kid, so much so that when my university had a movie night where they played it in an old amphitheater, I determine with a group of friends to get really high and go watch it. It did not hold up :(

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Got the digital of this and it's extremely my poo poo, so I couldn't not get the vinyl. I'm glad it was still in stock.

Trying this out as opposed to my normal Sneak tub. Sneak gets me a little -too- wired, so i'll see if this is different.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Wait is Vans bad? Did they get #metoo'd or something? I like the waffle pattern because it works great with my mountain bike pedal spokes.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Vans is currently holding a custom sneaker contest and the top sneaker was a pro Hong Kong inspired design and they took it down. It wasn't even like an in your face design either. I also exclusively wear Vans pretty much so it's kind of a bummer. Nike is also obviously caught up in the NBA controversy. Corporate wokeness continues to naturally be a lie.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/08/shoemaker-vans-treads-warily-as-china-fumes-over-hong-kong-protests.html

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

1redflag posted:

I remember liking the Nightmare Before Xmas a lot when I was a kid, so much so that when my university had a movie night where they played it in an old amphitheater, I determine with a group of friends to get really high and go watch it. It did not hold up :(

Didn't hold up???? How so!

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Didn't hold up???? How so!

Must have been bad weed because it's a great film still.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Yeah, seriously. Movie is cool, and, if you're into that, full of goth-friendly emotions.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Nightmare Before Christmas owns, Invader Zim owns, I am still emo at 25.

As for Vans, I don’t think your $65 is gonna be what makes or breaks them so go ahead.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

My wallet hurts but this car owns.

2017 Acura RDX. Coming from a 2005 civic coupe this thing is an enormous speeding bullet.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Found a brand new Superdry Windcheater at the thrift store for $30.

My French coworker pronounced it "windshitter", so that is its name from now.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Is Superdry actually solid quality? There’s one across from my Uniqlo that European tourists love but I’ve never been in because I generally avoid clothes with the brand name printed all over them.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

evobatman posted:

Found a brand new Superdry Windcheater at the thrift store for $30.

My French coworker pronounced it "windshitter", so that is its name from now.

That is too many zippers for one coat.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Bottom Liner posted:

Is Superdry actually solid quality? There’s one across from my Uniqlo that European tourists love but I’ve never been in because I generally avoid clothes with the brand name printed all over them.

I'm not too familiar with the brand since this was a random find and I've never cared about it before, but you can most likely find better quality clothes for the same price. It's absolutely more fashion than utility, but the stitching and materials on my jacket seems good, I've worn it a couple of days and it's comfy and warm, and it looks pretty good.

Looks like the company is close to dying now, so outlets should be filling up with them soon.

Edit Yes, definitively too many zippers, but they are offset to cheat the wind from reaching you.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

JEEVES420 posted:

That is too many zippers for one coat.

LEAVE AMANO ALONE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

I only learned recently that Tim Burton did not direct that movie. It feels like the most Tim Burton movie ever made.

Burton wrote a poem in the early 80's that established the basic plot and some major set pieces (the woods with the holiday-door-trees, Jack bringing Christmas to Halloweentown, kidnapping Santa, Jack doing Christmas himself and getting shot out of the sky, etc.) Burton was pretty involved in development, but wasn't around during production due to Batman Returns (and he couldn't handle the tedious pace of stop-motion animation). Danny Elfman and Henry Selick deserve a ton of the credit for the finished product.