Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I'm the Boss is a much better (drunk) "no, gently caress you" game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Xelkelvos posted:

I also remember there were coward tokens or something?

Oh gently caress, I forgot about that. In both games, after guns are aimed, you can opt to hit the deck to avoid getting shot and sit the round out.

In C&G1, you got a Shame counter for doing this. It was worth -$5k at the end of the game.
In C&G2, nothing. They took Shame counters out.

They basically went out of their way to remove all interesting cost/benefit decisions from the game, and then they went out of their way to include as much RNG as possible.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Broken Loose posted:

It gets worse. In order to become the Godfather, you must try to take the Godfather's desk token instead of taking a piece of Loot during a distribution round. That seems tidy on the surface, given that Godfather is such a ludicrously powerful ability, but you don't take the Godfather by just sacrificing your loot claim action. You take the Godfather by flipping the desk token (as if it were a coin), and if it lands heads-up you inherit the status. If it lands tails-up, you wasted your action. It's so loving asinine and indicative of the greater design problems both with C&G2E and with lovely monkey cheese games as a whole.

I don't think this is correct.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Broken Loose posted:

It gets worse. In order to become the Godfather, you must try to take the Godfather's desk token instead of taking a piece of Loot during a distribution round. That seems tidy on the surface, given that Godfather is such a ludicrously powerful ability, but you don't take the Godfather by just sacrificing your loot claim action. You take the Godfather by flipping the desk token (as if it were a coin), and if it lands heads-up you inherit the status. If it lands tails-up, you wasted your action. It's so loving asinine and indicative of the greater design problems both with C&G2E and with lovely monkey cheese games as a whole.
This isn't actually a rule in the game as far as I know. The rules can be misconstrued but here they are:

quote:

*Instead of taking a card, it’s possible to flip the New
Godfather token to get the desk and
become the Godfather on the
next turn. This doesn’t change
the current sharing of the loot

It's clear that what they mean by flipping it is just turning it upside down so that it is clear that other people can't take it, not actually flipping it in the air.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Is there any reason not to take Godfather other than it being last round? Also, is there still a set number of rounds? Because if it isn't # of rounds = # of players that definitely favors the people who get it more than once. Or is the loot diverse and enticing enough to avoid that scenario?

It strikes me a lot of base Twilight Imperium where your top two choices are something like "Grab the 2VP role first" and "Grab 'Be First Player' second so you can grab the 2VP role first next round."

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Edit: whoops, didn't load last page before replying. Ignore me!

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Broken Loose posted:

The new loot system in C&G2E is so much worse than the original.

In the original, everybody who was left standing got loot, it was the same amount of loot, and you could gently caress with the other players' abilities to get loot by using the amount of standing players to screw EVERYBODY including yourself out of loot. Loot was always cash and the other resources dwindled over the course of the game.

In 2nd Edition, there's a Godfather. The Godfather is a player who can make one player aim away from them every round, and then takes first turn when selecting loot. Loot is taken 1 piece at a time, and there are a bunch of new categories of loot added like healing items, more ammo, and loot that is only worth cash when combined with others of its type. The difference between each piece of loot is not the difference between $20k and $5k, it's now the difference between $100k and $0k. Turn order can completely gently caress you over.

These geniuses also redid all the player powers to make them Wackier and More Fun, much like coin flips and Kovalic's artwork make the core aspects of the game Wackier and More Fun. What a shitshow.

Let's make a great new update to Tragedy Looper where we make it about zombies and cthulu and the scenarios will have scenarios with special rules that the players don't know aside from "they're there." :shepicide:

At least you can make C&G first edition from the second with a marker (for the Bang Bang Bang!), taking out the non-cash loot, finding some random tokens for shame, and swallowing eternal regret.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Selecta84 posted:

Fields of Arle is a great game.

taser rates posted:

7 Wonders Duel and Patchwork

Big McHuge posted:

I'd grab Patchwork and Istanbul off that list.

Gilgameshback posted:

Commands and Colors Ancients.

golden bubble posted:

Patchwork app..

Istanbul

PAL-18 posted:

Dungeon Petz
Keyflower

Narrowed down the list, thank you for the input and suggestions

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Played some more Pax Pamir tonight. I got stuck in a cycle where I had to keep preventing the person going after me from winning until I couldn't do so anymore and he won. I made some errors earlier that probably cost me the game but the two times we've played it's been with three which seems...not great. The designer says it's very fragile with three and I agree. I think I would rather play something else with three players and reserve it for four or five where the diplomatic aspects would be more prevalent. Everyone had a much better handle on it this time and some really nasty plays presented themselves. It seems to be intensely strategic but somehow very tactical and free-wheeling at the same time. I quite like it.

Then we played some Sticheln which is probably the best trick-taking game ever devised, at least with three players. Four might be okay but with more it seems like it would get too chaotic.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Trynant posted:

Let's make a great new update to Tragedy Looper where we make it about ... cthulu

You joke, but...

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Yea, but on the other hand this is by the original TLooper designer so it's probably actually good.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Tekopo posted:

This isn't actually a rule in the game as far as I know. The rules can be misconstrued but here they are:

It's clear that what they mean by flipping it is just turning it upside down so that it is clear that other people can't take it, not actually flipping it in the air.

Wonderful, on one hand I got taught the game by a degenerate idiot (and by that point in the game my patience was already out the window), on the other hand the manual is written poorly enough for that to be an issue.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
lmfao this avatar rules, i'm also super stoked that they kept my gently caress BOARD GAMES tag

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Don't play Elysium with Athena and Hermes.
Just don't.

In a normal game (with Hades), I have 2-3 cards in my legend and 14 in my Elysium. Even without Hades, I'm about 5 to 12.

I had 13 cards in my Elysium.
I had fourteen left in my legend.

I still lost by 2.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Broken Loose posted:

lmfao this avatar rules, i'm also super stoked that they kept my gently caress BOARD GAMES tag

Yeah honestly that's pretty boss.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Archipelago is a thing I got to play. It took us most of the session to get the rules down despite some play aides and prep work, but I don't think we did anything terribly wrong. A medium game with three players took about two hours, but I think we could get that way down. Despite the number of available options, ap wasn't much of an issue.

Some aspects of the theme are super unfortunate and not necessary. I would feel uncomfortable playing the game in some settings.

We didn't end up negotiating much at all, although I kept trying to force it. Maybe that changes in a five players game, but competition for resources was far less cutthroat than I expected.

I keep forgetting that my partner loves euros because we so rarely play them, so I don't regret the purchase at all. It's nice to have something in our collection there besides Castles of Burgundy and Terra Mystica, the latter of which I have trouble getting into.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Somberbrero posted:

Archipelago is a thing I got to play....
...We didn't end up negotiating much at all, although I kept trying to force it. Maybe that changes in a five players game, but competition for resources was far less cutthroat than I expected.

With Archipelago negotiations are really just what you make of them in many ways. Higher player count can definitely help it, as well as certain cards coming out (since they're both tradeable and can really mess with the game), and frankly the players in the game. If outright deals don't happen, it's cool. Archipelago is very malleable with what group plays it. Should be noted that the biggest negotiation can and should happen during Balance of the Archipelago and Evolution Card crises since a player can leverage the resources needed to pay for, well, the whole game...though there's always that risk of a Separatist.

quote:

...Some aspects of the theme are super unfortunate and not necessary. I would feel uncomfortable playing the game in some settings....

yeah :smith:

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Selecta84 posted:

I was thinking about trying the LOTR lcg but I know myself to well. I would really have to restrain myself really hard from getting all the expansions if I like it.

Why restrain yourself :shepicide:

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Foehammer posted:

Why restrain yourself :shepicide:

Good argument

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Hello.

I have finally had a chance to play Codenames.

I am late, but I am still fortunate.

(It's seriously amazing! No wonder it's sold out everywhere here)

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Just get the core set and see how you like it. It's cheap. You don't need any expansions right off the bat to make it fun, and unless you plan to play with more than 2 people, you really don't need a second core ever.

Then every time you order a different game (or anything at all from Amazon, if that's how you roll), tack on one or two adventure packs. That way you keep enjoying the game at a steady pace and you don't get immediately bogged down in optimizing your deck from a huge pool of options right from the start.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I don't know whether they got this idea from somewhere on the internet, but my friends have started referring to individual games by the name "Operation: ________ _________" where the blanks are the first two clues given. Just got done playing Operation: Weed Vanderbilt.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Artelier posted:

Hello.

I have finally had a chance to play Codenames.

I am late, but I am still fortunate.

(It's seriously amazing! No wonder it's sold out everywhere here)

Seems like every game night in my meetup group, we're playing that.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Is Batavia any good there's a copy on sale for £10 at the meet up I'm at?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CaptainRightful posted:

Just get the core set and see how you like it. It's cheap. You don't need any expansions right off the bat to make it fun, and unless you plan to play with more than 2 people, you really don't need a second core ever.

Note that this is a post about LOTR:LCG, not Codenames. In case anyone was thinking "Expansions!?"

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Which is better, Suburbia or Castles of Mad King Ludwig?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Suburbia is definitely tighter design wise, but it's also more mathy and brainy. Overall I'd say choose whichever theme you enjoy more because they're pretty close. I prefer Suburbia, but Castles has the great master builder mechanic.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Bullbar posted:

I like Mad King best at a full player count of 4, Suburbia is better at 3/2/1

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

What's the ideal count for Keyflower? I played it for the first time with 5 a few weeks ago and each game there was 1 or 2 people who were hopelessly out of the game by the end of the second round. I'm sure we were playing badly since most of us were new, but it seemed that with 5 people there was always a player or two who would be completely out of it by the end of the second round.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

drat Dirty Ape posted:

What's the ideal count for Keyflower? I played it for the first time with 5 a few weeks ago and each game there was 1 or 2 people who were hopelessly out of the game by the end of the second round. I'm sure we were playing badly since most of us were new, but it seemed that with 5 people there was always a player or two who would be completely out of it by the end of the second round.

I like it best with just 2 players, and feel it gets less good as you add players. Other people like it best with 4. Either way, there's a general consensus that with 5 or 6 players, it gets worse

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

unpronounceable posted:

I like it best with just 2 players, and feel it gets less good as you add players. Other people like it best with 4. Either way, there's a general consensus that with 5 or 6 players, it gets worse

Wow my last post was terrible, but thanks this is sort of the feeling I was getting as we were playing. At 5 it almost felt a little too crowded for me, with people stepping on each others toes constantly for no real reason other than 'there is nothing else I can do'.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I played a few games of Viceroy and didn't like it, while everyone else thought it was amazing. Am I an idiot?
Apart from hoping to get lucky draws, I didn't like the auction system since some cards seems plain better than others, so it was often a choice between getting nothing but gems, or letting the other guy get this great card.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Re: LOTR LCG, I really badly want to like it, but with the core set, I feel like every scenario I play is just a very, very strict puzzle with so little wiggle room that if I get a bad draw, or send one person questing on the wrong turn, I'm just totally hosed.

Is this feeling of always being set back on your heels just always going to be there, or is this something that gives you a little more breathing room if you have some expansions? I really like the core mechanics, but I don't enjoy the feeling of just barely treading water to keep from losing.

edit: And I do understand the mitigation of luck factors with cards that let you peek at the encounter deck beforehand and whatnot, but even utilizing what I understand to be "correct" play, I still just feel so dang much like I'm barely squeaking by, and not in the fun Mage Knight way where I'm getting stronger every turn.

dropkickpikachu fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 13, 2016

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Bullbar posted:

Absolutely love Suburbia, absolutely hated Ludwig. YMMV.

As for Keyflower, I've enjoyed it all any player count. It is a brutal game, so the more players, the more of a moshpit it becomes, which is fun.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

dropkickpikachu posted:

Re: LOTR LCG, I really badly want to like it, but with the core set, I feel like every scenario I play is just a very, very strict puzzle with so little wiggle room that if I get a bad draw, or send one person questing on the wrong turn, I'm just totally hosed.

Is this feeling of always being set back on your heels just always going to be there, or is this something that gives you a little more breathing room if you have some expansions? I really like the core mechanics, but I don't enjoy the feeling of just barely treading water to keep from losing.

edit: And I do understand the mitigation of luck factors with cards that let you peek at the encounter deck beforehand and whatnot, but even utilizing what I understand to be "correct" play, I still just feel so dang much like I'm barely squeaking by, and not in the fun Mage Knight way where I'm getting stronger every turn.

It's very, very difficult until something clicks and you get an insight. Also some of the decks in the core game are really not viable by themselves - I played a few rounds with the core set Bravery deck and thought that the game was just awful, but it turns out that core set Bravery just won't cut it in solo play. Building your own deck will help a great deal (even is you only use core set cards, many of which are extremely good).

Also note that the quests in the core set are not by any means the easiest in the game - some are extremely difficult.

The feeling of being one turn away from total disaster eventually goes away, but the whole game is kind of structured around a small group of heroes fighting for their lives, and certainly a few bad encounters in a row can make things very difficult very fast.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
By Bravery do you mean Tactics? The red sphere?

If so yeah it seems a little too tough. Are there any good recommendations for a beginner deck that mixes spheres and tends to teach good habits if not make things a bit easier?

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

dropkickpikachu posted:

If so yeah it seems a little too tough. Are there any good recommendations for a beginner deck that mixes spheres and tends to teach good habits if not make things a bit easier?

We didn't get too deep in LotR, and this is largely why. It's not just that the sample decks you get are bad, they're terribly inconsistent between each other, and internally within each deck. It felt really random whether you could draw key cards and contribute, or just kind of sit and spin and get slapped around.

I'm sure some skill and experience and deckbuilding effort would have got us over the hump, but in the end we just moved on to the next thing. I think they could probably have presented the game a lot better than they did.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

dropkickpikachu posted:

Sorry, meant to write Leadership - the pink rune.

Building a two color deck that combines one of the martial spheres (Tactics or Leadership) with Lore or Spirit will help a great deal. The single color decks in the core set are not well balanced. Tactics/Spirit is my current favorite because it combines very strong questing with enough combat strength to deal with most enemies fairly easily. Make sure to include three copies of Gandalf!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

cenotaph posted:

Played some more Pax Pamir tonight. I got stuck in a cycle where I had to keep preventing the person going after me from winning until I couldn't do so anymore and he won. I made some errors earlier that probably cost me the game but the two times we've played it's been with three which seems...not great. The designer says it's very fragile with three and I agree. I think I would rather play something else with three players and reserve it for four or five where the diplomatic aspects would be more prevalent. Everyone had a much better handle on it this time and some really nasty plays presented themselves. It seems to be intensely strategic but somehow very tactical and free-wheeling at the same time. I quite like it.

My brother is coming down from NYC and he loves these kinds of games, so I'll probably be able to get a 5p game in this week. Interested to see how it plays if 3 players become loyal to one country, or even if it becomes a 2v2v1.

Also have you played the Chicago Express expansion? Is it any good? I've been thinking about that or American Rails until I can get the courage to buy 1889.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Gilgameshback posted:

Sorry, meant to write Leadership - the pink rune.

Building a two color deck that combines one of the martial spheres (Tactics or Leadership) with Lore or Spirit will help a great deal. The single color decks in the core set are not well balanced.

Tactics is the only sphere inadequate by itself, but it's definitely easier to build a balanced deck with two spheres. The first cycle of adventure packs includes the Song cards that really help get those two-sphere engines running.