Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
To be honest, even the Touch controllers were a bit overhyped to me. They were promoted as virtual hands, that mirrored your real hands accurately enough that you would get a real sense of presence due to the fact it felt like your hands were really in the virtual world.

In fact however there are a great many ways in which Touch does not mirror your real hands - the resting position of the in game hands is very different to how you have to hold the controllers, the different capacitive thumb sensors aren't actually reflected in game so if you move your thumb from the joystick to the buttons to the resting pad, your in-game thumb doesn't move..
So oddly enough I got a greater feeling of presence from using the Vive controllers one time than I do using Touch, perhaps because the Vive wands weren't so close to my real hands, so my brain somehow had an easier task of bridging the gap between 'I'm moving my hands around in real life' and 'these two virtual things I'm seeing are moving around exactly like my hands are in real life, so they must be the same!'

I'd be really interested in hearing about whether Knuckles does a better job at giving you the feeling of having your hands in VR, as it sounds like the things I complain about regarding Touch are probably fixed with Knuckles - the resting position is more natural due to not having to hold the controllers, and perhaps the finger and thumb sensing is higher fidelity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

rage-saq posted:

This is overblown knuckles hype.
You still feel like you are using a controller because you are. The primary modes of interaction with VR are 98% the same as Oculus Touch with a slightly slicker grip system.
The finger pose system is about 35% natural compared to Touch being 5% natural. Gameplay elements will not be reliant on finger poses any time soon because it would be a very poor control system and they will almost entirely stay the same as what the Touch does now.
95% of its use is social interactions which count for a lot. It does increase your immersion a bit though.

I didn't mean it to come off as full fanboy overhype, just what Valve's intended point of it was. Even I've said they're way overbuilt for what they functionally achieve in most VR games.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
I just want something to replace these awful, breaking Vive wands. Also a thumbstick.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I wonder why nobody has tried using diffusion filters to reduce sde like in the o+. Sorry to keep going on about that thing but I was hoping Valve at least might give it a try. With the extra subpixels in indexes screens you might think theyd get a better result than samsung and be able to use a thinner (?) filter for less blur. Maybe it just doesnt work that way

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I know Everspace works with a gamepad but I'd rather use a hotas just to continue to get used to it. Any suggested config?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wheezle posted:

I just want something to replace these awful, breaking Vive wands. Also a thumbstick.

We all want that :sigh:. It's why everyone was so excited for the Knuckles.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
When I had a DK2 I bought a Leap Motion too, it was a cool little thing, the day I discovered I could flip the middle finger at a pokemon in VR was a good day

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
At least people have finally stopped famboying the wands.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cojawfee posted:

I think the theory behind the wands was solid, but in practice... No. The touchpad's a neat concept for a VR controller, because it's very adaptive to meet different situations. Whether it's movement, button inputs or whatever you need. In practice though, you're functionally pressing it blind and it's imprecise as gently caress compared to a thumbstick. The Knuckles face is essentially the best you could want; Thumbstick and buttons for general use, touchpad for miscellaneous functions.

edit: The only game where I'd say they actually work properly is VRChat. When you're standing still the touchpads cover your gestures, and when you need to move they cover general movement in a game that has no real need for precise movements.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 11, 2019

IronMcHardSteel
Mar 29, 2010
Fun Shoe
No Man's Sky is 55% off on humble bundle:

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/no-mans-sky?hmb_source=search_bar

The new Oculus update let's you add more headsets in the devices tab. I kind of hope that means you could play a game on the Quest and the Rift at the same time with one account.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is the VR mode out for that?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Not till summer

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Is the psvr worth getting if I don’t have the pc or space for a full vr setup

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Lemming posted:

They also cost $280 :cripes:

The Vive Wands are also £120/$155 each vs £259 for a pair of index-knuckles. I was going to sell my old vive wands but apparently you can use them for leg/hip tracking by tucking them into your belt or pockets with the sensor doughnut sticking out.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

If you have a PS4, yeah probably. There's a good amount of exclusives on there.

Cojawfee posted:

For as long as I've been keeping up with this thread, the wands have been poo poo on for everything except specifically Beat Saber. Have they now also been turned against on the reddits?

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I have one plus a rift and am happy with both. If I didn’t have a PC I would be happy with just my PSVR. Astro Bot alone was almost enough to justify having 2 HMDs. I don’t have move controllers though so I can’t speak to how well those perform.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

With the quest coming soon I've been thinking about getting back into VR gaming. To anyone's knowledge (and not to sound condescending) are there going to be any full games at launch? Like Beat Saber and wave shooters are fine, but anything like a room scale RPG or subnautica?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Orbus VR which is the VR MMO should be ported for launch as well I believe. And Rec Room on a smaller scale.

Also I am confused, when did the VIVE Controller become the controller of poo poo? I use both the VIVE and Rift CV1 Touch remotes and like them both quite evenly. The touch pads could be more, precise, but other than that I have never had a qualm with mine.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

8one6 posted:

With the quest coming soon I've been thinking about getting back into VR gaming. To anyone's knowledge (and not to sound condescending) are there going to be any full games at launch? Like Beat Saber and wave shooters are fine, but anything like a room scale RPG or subnautica?

There is at least one sort of zelda style RPG called "Journey of the Gods" thats launching on it, though no one has reviewed anything yet so I don't know how long it is. The MMORPG "Orbus" will be launching on it as well. Another MMORPG thats in beta called "Nostos VR" isn't a launch game, but was announced as coming to Quest. A little less RPGs, but Moss, Superhot, and Apex Construct are three "full" games launching with it, both of them being PC ports. Depending on your definition, Rec Room has a ton of content with their quest modes, battle royale, and other for me to consider it more than sort of wave shooter fair. The Star Wars game I can't really call "full" considering its episodic, and I don't know how many episodes there will end up being.

Theres nothing like subnautica, or any open world survival games yet, though considering it was on GearVR, theres always a chance minecraft will come to it. The rest of the launch games you could probably fit into the category of wave shooters, sports games, mini games, or rhythm games.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Orbus VR which is the VR MMO should be ported for launch as well I believe. And Rec Room on a smaller scale.

Also I am confused, when did the VIVE Controller become the controller of poo poo? I use both the VIVE and Rift CV1 Touch remotes and like them both quite evenly. The touch pads could be more, precise, but other than that I have never had a qualm with mine.

Wands are ludicrously expensive, are designed to have a limited life span, aren't as comfortable to access all the functions (specifically the grip button) and the touchpad is just inferior to the joystick for most video games. If they cost $100 for a pair, it'd basically just come down to the grip button and touchpad and general shape being more or less useful for certain games, but I can get a pair of Touches and an extra Sensor for :20bux: less than one Wand.

Also some people prefer having swappable batteries compared to a rechargable internal one, but I'm split on that as long as the charging port isn't likely to die.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

EdEddnEddy posted:

They always were but they were the only option for Vive so people liked to ignore the shoddy trigger, fragile and mushy touchpad, poor button layout, atrocious grip buttons and laughable haptic modules.
The only thing the Vive wands do well is be better than the WMR controllers which are an even bigger joke. They fact that they were so expensive, had a poor warranty and were rather fragile just made them pretty sour.
The Knuckles controllers aren’t quite as streamlined as the Touch or Touch2 controllers, but it’s got a more advanced grip system and the controller straps are great.
All and all the Touch/Touch2 and Knuckles are pretty much at parity with each having some slight advantages, though the knuckles are a bit more expensive they are at least worth their cost.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Not gonna lie, the Vive controllers are poo poo enough that on balance, I'd rather leave the whole thing bagged up (and off the walls) and just wait for the Rift-S in a few weeks--see if I still have the bug to fart around in VR around then. those knucks are too expensive, I'm writing off HTCland as a sunk cost.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

rage-saq posted:

They always were but they were the only option for Vive so people liked to ignore the shoddy trigger, fragile and mushy touchpad, poor button layout, atrocious grip buttons and laughable haptic modules.
The only thing the Vive wands do well is be better than the WMR controllers which are an even bigger joke. They fact that they were so expensive, had a poor warranty and were rather fragile just made them pretty sour.
The Knuckles controllers aren’t quite as streamlined as the Touch or Touch2 controllers, but it’s got a more advanced grip system and the controller straps are great.
All and all the Touch/Touch2 and Knuckles are pretty much at parity with each having some slight advantages, though the knuckles are a bit more expensive they are at least worth their cost.

I haven't used WMR controllers, but I think they're in the same boat as the Vive wands in that they make a lot of sense on paper; You've got the best of both worlds in that it has a thumbstick for precision movement AND a general trackpad for miscellaneous game-dependent inputs. In practice... apparently not so much.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I haven't used WMR controllers, but I think they're in the same boat as the Vive wands in that they make a lot of sense on paper; You've got the best of both worlds in that it has a thumbstick for precision movement AND a general trackpad for miscellaneous game-dependent inputs. In practice... apparently not so much.

The joystick is bad, the touchpad is bad, the triggers are bad, the ergonomics are ultra super duper bad and they feel extremely cheap and creaky. It’s like mad catz outsourced a controller to someone who has never used VR before. They are shockingly, offensively bad.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

rage-saq posted:

The joystick is bad, the touchpad is bad, the triggers are bad, the ergonomics are ultra super duper bad and they feel extremely cheap and creaky. It’s like mad catz outsourced a controller to someone who has never used VR before. They are shockingly, offensively bad.

Ooof, drat.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I think this was answered previously but you can't just get a Reverb and buy the Index controllers to use with it, can you?

I've got a Rift and the SDE and low resolution just kills it for me. Looks like Rift-S is only a minor upgrade in that regard and Index is another minor upgrade from there visually.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

RandomBlue posted:

I think this was answered previously but you can't just get a Reverb and buy the Index controllers to use with it, can you?

I've got a Rift and the SDE and low resolution just kills it for me. Looks like Rift-S is only a minor upgrade in that regard and Index is another minor upgrade from there visually.

You can, but it's gonna be a hacked together system using third party software. Also, you'll need to buy two lighthouses, which are fairly expensive.

The reviews I've read for the Reverb don't sound that great, apparently the optics are kinda poo poo and the screen is blurry outside of the center.

I'd suggest that if you want the biggest upgrade to just go with the Index. I really think that the 130 degree FOV, great optics, and high refresh rate are going to add up to be a lot bigger of an upgrade than the Reverb.

I think you're also underestimating the difference in resolution between Vive/Rift and Index/Rift S. Both the Index and Rift S are using RGB stripe screens instead of pentile, which means a lot more resolution increase than the numbers would indicate.

TIP fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 12, 2019

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

rage-saq posted:

Alternatively, they seem fine? Granted I've never used a different controller but I can't imagine how it would be better.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Alternatively, they seem fine? Granted I've never used a different controller but I can't imagine how it would be better.

Out of what I've tried: Touch >>> Vive Wands >>>>>>>> WMR controllers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PSVR Wands

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

RandomBlue posted:

Yes. I’ve been using my knuckles and Vive trackers daily on my rift for a few weeks, it’s actually a pretty solid setup but you might as well just buy an index kit because it will be $100 less expensive and is better than the reverb anyways.
Index HMD = 499, Reverb = 599. The other parts required for knuckles are the same as attaching knuckles to the Reverb.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Some days I legit prefer my psmoves to the vive wands, being able to feel what button you are about to press rather than blindly hoping you are on the right part of the touch pad.

Tracking is obviously way better on the vive of course

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Twibbit posted:

Some days I legit prefer my psmoves to the vive wands, being able to feel what button you are about to press rather than blindly hoping you are on the right part of the touch pad.

Tracking is obviously way better on the vive of course

The lack of analog input, grab button and the poor tracking are what kills it for me. They're not even VR controllers though, just repurposed for it, so I should probably cut them a little slack.

Kind of a shame they didn't put a tracking ball on the left hand controller, that would have been close to perfect (aside from the tracking).

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

rage-saq posted:

Yes. I’ve been using my knuckles and Vive trackers daily on my rift for a few weeks, it’s actually a pretty solid setup but you might as well just buy an index kit because it will be $100 less expensive and is better than the reverb anyways.
Index HMD = 499, Reverb = 599. The other parts required for knuckles are the same as attaching knuckles to the Reverb.

Looked at the linked content here showed in lens pictures of the reverb and it looked noticably higher resolution and almost no SDE, or none, compared to others. https://twitter.com/mixedrealityTV

Also it has inside out tracking, which I'd prefer, though if I mixed it with index controllers I'd have to have the external sensors anyway.

2160x2160 per eye is a big jump in resolution.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

rage-saq posted:

I hate the WMR controllers so much I finally made a short video about the specifics about why the ergonomics are so terrible. The worst part is it's not even stuff that's crazy or esoteric, it just shows how they literally put 0 effort into it and managed to gently caress it up inexcusably as a result

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICFGDmVl-Hg

gently caress the WMR controllers

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

They're just "okay", but they're not terrible.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Jumping on the "they seem adequate" band wagon for wands. They just don't warrant the hyperbole they get. Yes I've only used them and the PSMove controllers but if they feel fine in that context isn't that perfectly ok? I do think the lack of a stick is just silly and renders some games (Moss for instance) not very playable. But since most of my play doesn't hit that particular limitation I haven't been particularly bothered. Call me un-picky.

That said I've pre-ordered knuckles.

On a totally different topic, I've finally started bumping up against battery time limitations on my Vive Wireless. Most days it's enough but on weekends I tend to jump in for a few sessions including one consistent Beat Saber session that tends to be longer. Has anyone had luck with spare batteries? Ideally one that fits the holster so I don't need a second method for wearing a battery when I want to swap?

It's consistently lasting on the order of 4 hours but lately with a couple hours playing Beat Saber, a couple hours in Big Screen watching Godzilla with my brother half the country away and some misc. other messing around it's getting used up.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

8one6 posted:

No, and to me this is a real problem.

(Ok, at least it looks like there aren't any new games for it which are very substantial - though we don't yet know how long that Zelda type game is. However it is launching with Chronos which is a good 20 hours, but that's also gamepad control not motion control so not exactly taking advantage of Quest, even though it's a good game.)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

0:17 - 1:45

Have you considered a career in reviewing the ergonomics of dildos

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hadlock posted:

0:17 - 1:45

Have you considered a career in reviewing the ergonomics of dildos

I'm no pro but I can tell you right now to skip anything made by Microsoft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RandomBlue posted:

Looked at the linked content here showed in lens pictures of the reverb and it looked noticably higher resolution and almost no SDE, or none, compared to others. https://twitter.com/mixedrealityTV

Also it has inside out tracking, which I'd prefer, though if I mixed it with index controllers I'd have to have the external sensors anyway.

2160x2160 per eye is a big jump in resolution.

Just get the Index. For what you're paying anyway you're probably getting a better device and setup in the long run and not trying to make two disparate systems play nice with eachother.