Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Hellsau posted:

If you have Jace, the Mind Sculptor on MTGO, sell them ASAP. I believe Jace is currently the most expensive card on MTGO at 85 tickets, and its price will certain fall when the next Masters set drops unless the draft format is horrendous. Jace also has four different versions (WWK, VMA, EMA, FTV) and it cannot sustain that high of a price with that many printings.

Thanks for the heads-up that's a ridiculous spike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

I don't know how you know this but uh, so what?

Please stop playing cool cards, and only play lame ones

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GoutPatrol posted:

Can't wait to play Jace turn 4 in the control mirror, counter a cryptic by shoaling another Jace or they try to drop a Jace on their turn

Truly the modern we need

I don't know if you know this, but that's what good Magic actually is.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

GoutPatrol posted:

Can't wait to play Jace turn 4 in the control mirror, counter a cryptic by shoaling another Jace or they try to drop a Jace on their turn

Truly the modern we need

Speaking of cards that spiked.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Please do not actually purchase Distrupting Shoal or attempt to play them in your Modern deck.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hellsau posted:

Please do not actually purchase Distrupting Shoal or attempt to play them in your Modern deck.

Force Of Will But Only For Jace At The Cost Of Your Own Jace isn't a good deal? Huh?!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Disrupting Shoal, pitch Consecrated Sphinx. Counter your Disrupting Shoal on my Jace. :smuggo:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

suicidesteve posted:

Disrupting Shoal, pitch Consecrated Sphinx. Counter your Disrupting Shoal on my Jace. :smuggo:

Unban Dig Through Time so I have a counterplay!!! :qq:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Archenteron posted:

General idea of how that deck functioned?

It ran stuff like maindeck Rakdos Charm, which at worst would be a burn spell in most other matches, but wrecks Storm's GY and pops lock pieces in Lantern. Lots of maindeck stuff that was decent on it's face, with the ability to bugger up Storm/Lantern hard like Aegis of the Gods and Quasali Pridemage, then decent beaters like Siege Rhino to close out the game. It was a pretty decent brew, and the guy who runs it is notorious for coming up with very good unique lists.

Buffis posted:

What deck list are you running?
I sortof want to give storm a try.

Currently the Caleb Scherer fetchless list:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWAnetsV4AAbDu5.jpg:large

Fetchless is just better in every way, ignore anything and everything people say about the fetch version. tl;dr is that fetchless means that any time you serum/sleight/opt, the cards you send to the bottom stay there until you gifts, when it usually doesn't matter. Also shuffling every turn is tiresome.

Best tips on piloting I can give are watch people play the deck (even badly) and goldfish like mad. Learning stuff like the correct routes to Storming off are key, especially the mythical T2 kill (not really, but it's good to know), bearless kills, GYless kills, Bearless GYless Kills...

I watch Caleb almost every stream, he's totally open about everything to do with the deck, publishes his lists, publishes his SB plans, and he's just a really nice person.

https://www.twitch.tv/cws_mtg/videos/all
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6olsKZ4gD6QI2QpEX9D76g/videos

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-wr-45056#paper
:stare::eyepop::staredog:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I've been eyeballing this list since I saw it posted. Seems like one of the best modern stompy shells I've seen in a while

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Nice use of FTV Dryad Arbor here on the GP stream. Isn't it against the rules to place creatures in your lands like that?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

moush posted:

Nice use of FTW Dryad Arbor here on the GP stream. Isn't it against the rules to place creatures in your lands like that?

It’s also a land. Saying that, people use that version of the card for that very reason.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 17, 2018

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I''m putting together a G/B deck in a constructed league and I already have 4 Chupacabras, 4 Moment of Cravings, three Golden Demises and a Tetzimoc, so my removal package is pretty nice. I also have a Journey to Eternity and a few recovers to keep bringing my chupas back. The idea is to play attrition and keep the vampire, pirate and merfolk decks it'll run against in our league under control so they can get clubbed to death by jungle creepers. We're having a trade day and I've got an offer of either an Immortal Sun or Tendershoot Dryad for the little 2/1 pirate that makes pirate tokens when he attacks with another pirate.

Am I dumb or isn't the Dryad just the better choice? Extra card draw for gas and cheaper spells is nice but the Dryad would fit what I want to do so well.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The Dryad is a good finisher if you can get it going. It creates and army on its own and ascends you as well if you haven't already.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

We're having a trade day and I've got an offer of either an Immortal Sun or Tendershoot Dryad for the little 2/1 pirate that makes pirate tokens when he attacks with another pirate.

Your local scene is bizarre. That said snap agree to the trade for Tendershoot Dryad.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
We're an offshoot from the larger college town scene but it's turned out pretty cool? We do this hybrid league that starts like a basic sealed league but then we have 3 drafts split into two pods based on our availability because we're all working adults and have a final trade day out of a strictly limited binder from what we opened or drafted. Then we have a little tourney for packs of the next set. I drafted pretty well and half of our 13 person league tried to go black red because of Angraths or removal they opened so I'm in a good place to leverage out what I want.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

What happens if I reveal a Dryad Arbor with the explore mechanic?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

AceClown posted:

What happens if I reveal a Dryad Arbor with the explore mechanic?

It's a land.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
A Soulflayer + Zetalpa deck went 6-2 at GP Lyon.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Tainen posted:

A Soulflayer + Zetalpa deck went 6-2 at GP Lyon.

hell yeah

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Ok rules question. I have a krark clan ironworks and two myr retrievers to sac to it. If I just sacced them, they wouldn't be able to target each other in the graveyard. But, if I sacced them during activate mana abilities step of casting another spell, both dies abilities would wait to go on the stack until after the spell was cast and they could each target the other. Is that correct? I can activate as many mana abilities as I like even if I'm overpaying for the spell right?

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Ok rules question. I have a krark clan ironworks and two myr retrievers to sac to it. If I just sacced them, they wouldn't be able to target each other in the graveyard. But, if I sacced them during activate mana abilities step of casting another spell, both dies abilities would wait to go on the stack until after the spell was cast and they could each target the other. Is that correct? I can activate as many mana abilities as I like even if I'm overpaying for the spell right?
both abilities go on the stack, targetting happens first. You get neither retriever by doing that.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Anyone interested in MTGO tix? I've got 59 I'd be willing to cash out for Paypal. Can make an SA mart thread if needed.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sestze posted:

both abilities go on the stack, targetting happens first. You get neither retriever by doing that.

But they wouldn't go on the stack until after the spell I'm casting, is my point. By then they're both in the graveyard.

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I don't think that works. My understanding is that even though mana abilities don't use the stack, you do get priority again after each activation. When you would get priority, you have put any pending triggers on the stack. So after you sacrifice the first one, you'll have to put its trigger on the stack before activating the second one, and that myr wont "see" the other one.

Edit: another way to square it is, if you have 4 Cities of Brass, 2 life, and 1 JaceTMS to pay for, do you lose the game with 0 life or -1 life?

oryx fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 18, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

oryx posted:

I don't think that works. My understanding is that even though mana abilities don't use the stack, you do get priority again after each activation. When you would get priority, you have put any pending triggers on the stack. So after you sacrifice the first one, you'll have to put its trigger on the stack before activating the second one, and that myr wont "see" the other one.

If you announce a spell, and then tap a land, neither you nor your opponent get priority, since tapping a land is a mana ability. Krark-Clan Ironworks' ability is also a mana ability - it has a sacrifice instead of a tap as a cost, but it makes mana just like tapping a land does. If you're in the process of announcing a spell and are activating mana abilities to pay its cost, you should be able to sacrifice whatever you want in whatever order you want, and the triggered abilities would go on the stack after the spell you're casting does.

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hellsau posted:

If you announce a spell, and then tap a land, neither you nor your opponent get priority, since tapping a land is a mana ability. Krark-Clan Ironworks' ability is also a mana ability - it has a sacrifice instead of a tap as a cost, but it makes mana just like tapping a land does. If you're in the process of announcing a spell and are activating mana abilities to pay its cost, you should be able to sacrifice whatever you want in whatever order you want, and the triggered abilities would go on the stack after the spell you're casting does.

That was my thought too, until I came across this:

comp rules posted:

405.6c Mana abilities resolve immediately. If a mana ability both produces mana and has another effect, the mana is produced and the other effect happens immediately. If a player had priority before a mana ability was activated, that player gets priority after it resolves. (See rule 605, “Mana Abilities.”)

I read that to mean separate mana abilities resolve in serial instead of simultaneously.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

oryx posted:

I read that to mean separate mana abilities resolve in serial instead of simultaneously.

Yah but the retriever ability isn’t part of the mana ability. So, you get the two mana immediately, but the retrievers don’t go on the stack until you are done casting the spell.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Help a lowly dumbperson such as myself. Can't you just activate the ironworks, float the two mana, and then activate it again? What stops that from happening?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Confirmation that Teferi is a Planeswalker

https://twitter.com/jay13x/status/965022675910393856

https://twitter.com/jay13x/status/965022186649079808

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Help a lowly dumbperson such as myself. Can't you just activate the ironworks, float the two mana, and then activate it again? What stops that from happening?

The sacrifice effect is on the left side of the semicolon, meaning it's a cost - the add two mana effect only happens after the artifact you sacrificed is in the graveyard. No double dipping!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Goddamn do that Teferi and Chandra look awful

I’m all in on Aven man though

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Ooh dominaria Avens!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

oryx posted:

The key part there is "If a player had priority". You don't have priority in the middle of casting a spell, so you don't get priority back after activating a mana ability. It just happens, and then you can keep on activating mana abilities, until you eventually get priority back after you finish casting the spell.

At which point, any triggered abilities (that aren't themselves mana abilities) would have targets chosen for them and be placed on the stack.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Rinkles posted:

Ooh dominaria Avens!

I wonder if the Order still exists in some form after the thorough kerfuckening it and most of the rest of Otaria got during The Mirari Incident

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I mean I thought the new Teferi art looked badass :unsmith:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Piggybacking here with a dumb old guy question:

I cast Liliana of the Veil (or another three loyalty planeswalker, which one isn't important.) My opponent doesn't have a response to it going on the stack, so it resolves. He does have a lightning bolt in his hand and desperately wants to kill her once she's on the table, however since it's my turn he doesn't have priority until I do something for him to respond to. I use her +1 ability next, which he excitedly responds to with a bolt of lightning. However since the adding or subracting of loyalty counters is a "cost," if he responds to it by redirecting a bolt to her, she'll take 3 and be on 1 loyalty when the bolt resolves, yes?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Piggybacking here with a dumb old guy question:

I cast Liliana of the Veil (or another three loyalty planeswalker, which one isn't important.) My opponent doesn't have a response to it going on the stack, so it resolves. He does have a lightning bolt in his hand and desperately wants to kill her once she's on the table, however since it's my turn he doesn't have priority until I do something for him to respond to. I use her +1 ability next, which he excitedly responds to with a bolt of lightning. However since the adding or subracting of loyalty counters is a "cost," if he responds to it by redirecting a bolt to her, she'll take 3 and be on 1 loyalty when the bolt resolves, yes?

Yeah. But if you do anything that uses the stack after Liliana resolves that isn't activating Liliana your opponent will have priority before you can activate her, and then bolt it off the table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Likely Dominaria set symbol spotted