Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

Drilling reverse DLR to kiss of the dragon leg reaps and I hit my testicle so hard on my partner's kneecap that I had to sit out for 5 minutes to recover.

oss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
There's gotta be an easier way to convince your doctor to prescribe TRT...

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

everyone at my new gym uses these awful giant cups instead of freeballing it. they poke and bruise me and would probably make armbars pretty dangerous (i dont get caught in them as i am very good). When I first started doing this poo poo I saw a man get his ball caught between cup and thigh and I still can’t forget the screams. As a result I’m still rocking the time-honored compression undies + shorts combos and always will despite getting my nuts mashed into paste on the reg.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
Love getting my back taken to feel a hard rock ball cup on my spine

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
No one in my judo dojo wears cups or mouth guards or even rash guards. I find it hard to believe that someone would need any of that for BJJ.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Vashro posted:

Love getting my back taken to feel a hard rock ball cup on my spine

better this than having a guy mount you and then throw in the grapevines and drive the cup through your pelvis imo

^^^e: JFC guys don't wear mouthguards for Judo where do you live somewhere with affordable dental care?

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I'm way more worried about my knees and shoulders than my mouth :shrug:

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Cups are rare for us. Mouthguard is the only thing I'll use. I tend to have my mouth open and it's saved my tongue a couple times from a chin to knee clash or similar.
Also my new front teeth were expensive!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
BJJ you catch too many inadvertent knees and what not. Not hard enough to injure but enough to damage your teeth if everything goes wrong. I've also bit my tongue which is no fun.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

If someone wore a cup to my BJJ gym they'd get some sort of talking to, even if it isn't against the rules.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I think in tyool 2023 if youre going to be not using a rashguard in grappling you should be required to wax your chest and back.

Also normalize wrestling shoes.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
No one at my Judo dojo wears a mouth guard, but they're very nice and let me wear one, because tbh my teeth are a bit crooked and I can slice the inside of my lip with even moderate rough housing, like one Randori style osoto gari, with them cross facing for head control, left leave me bleeding enough that I need to stop for the night. So, mouth guard for me. I actually had it fall out of my bag and so haven't used it the last couple of BJJ sessions and it's been ok but I'm absolutely more prone to cutting my lips than most people, I need one unless or until I get braces. And then I'll need one because I'm not losing a tooth after braces lol.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I wear a cup every time I train and I don't hurt anyone with it because I'm not a moron

Not wearing a mouthguard seems completely insane to me

Vashro
May 12, 2004

I assume they meant rashy under gi top or just the top. Most people at my gym and obviously all the women opt for a top rash underneath. I find it to over heat me and is unnecessary.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Vashro posted:

I assume they meant rashy under gi top or just the top. Most people at my gym and obviously all the women opt for a top rash underneath. I find it to over heat me and is unnecessary.

People here opt for a sweat-wicking t-shirt or nothing under their gi. Can't speak for the women, their undergarments are mysterious but not rash guards.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I wouldn't want to roll with someone who didn't have a shirt on, personally. I don't want their sweaty chest crushing into me when they're in a top position. It might be purely psychological, a rash guard might not actually be more hygienic, but that's how I feel. Maybe I'd just have to get over it if that was the gym I was at. I don't like having to go bare chested at tournaments, it's archaic and pointless.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Jack B Nimble posted:

I wouldn't want to roll with someone who didn't have a shirt on, personally. I don't want their sweaty chest crushing into me when they're in a top position. It might be purely psychological, a rash guard might not actually be more hygienic, but that's how I feel. Maybe I'd just have to get over it if that was the gym I was at. I don't like having to go bare chested at tournaments, it's archaic and pointless.

I think it is a deliberate choice on the part of tournament organizers to look like judoka instead of bicyclists.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah but I was talking about Judo as well as BJJ; let me wear a shirt.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

I wouldn't want to roll with someone who didn't have a shirt on, personally. I don't want their sweaty chest crushing into me when they're in a top position. .

I dont even mind that, but I find at least in my region the people who go topless in grappling are either ripped, hairy as gently caress, or both. Boy howdy is one of the grossest things sweaty chest hair in your face. If you want a roll where I use all of the things I've ever learned in catch wrestling to be a dick or cause pain be a hairy dude with no shirt on trying to wrestle me.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I do admit there is a difference if you're in the gi in trying to get a collar grip on someone who is wearing a rashguard and someone who isn't. With rashguard is way more friction and can make it difficult to get in as deep a grip particularly for stuff like a cross-collar from the mount or sliding collar from the back.

But I'd prefer a slightly more challenging time getting a grip than dealing with someone's chest hair in my mouth.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I guess other peoples bodies don't bother me very much as long as they don't smell. The other night I had someone smothering me with their chest without a rashguard on and I was just struggling to get away while laughing with their hair grinding into my mouth.

I don't think body hair is anymore unhygienic than sweat, and there's no avoiding sweat.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
As unpleasant as it may be, I'd still rather have a hairy chest smothering me from mount than a sweaty rashguard (particularly when it comes to fluffier dudes) since it's basically waterboarding at that point.

I don't wear a cup and only know a few guys that do, and they make an obvious effort not to use it offensively for the reasons listed above. Rolling without a mouthguard sounds bonkers to me 'cause I have a close call like clockwork every 3 or 4 months that would probably require dental work without that protection, and I hardly ever go HAM at the gym.

toothdevil
May 14, 2023
Hey I'd like to set up a space for rolling in my apartment, are there any recommendations on what kind/brand/price range of wrestling/jiujitsu mat I should look at?

Like can I get away with $100 amazon mats? https://www.amazon.com/Polar-Aurora...1zcF9hdGY&psc=1
Or do I need to shell out $300 for stuff like this? https://dollamur.com/flexi-rollr-home-ma-mma-bjj-mat-5x10-tatami.html

(Total of $200-$600 for a 10'x10' space)

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I spent the past couple years rolling on those exact dollamurs and have also rolled on the blue ones and would say treat yo self and upgrade. The gaps in the blue ones get annoying fast and can also be kinda dangerous if your toe gets caught in, so if money isn’t a huge object the upgrade is worth it imo.

To that point, these ones from dollamur are a bit more expensive, but they connect with Velcro so you end up with no actual space between the two mats as opposed to having to tape them or build shims (and even when you do that they tend to still wiggle and leave gaps).

https://dollamur.com/flexi-connectr-home-martial-arts-mat-10x10-smooth.html

toothdevil
May 14, 2023
Awesome thanks so much for the advice! Thoughts on puzzle mats? Since this would be about half the price ($250) for a 10x10 space: https://dollamur.com/pro-level-puzzle-mats.html

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Flipping through facebook and saw high level judo competition footage where dude fails ouchi gari and goes to turtle to run the clock, his opponent, comes in from the side of his turtle, basically gets a waist lock. dead lifts, and flings his opponent to his opponents back while standing. The caption said Tawara-gaeshi.

That legit, where if the opponent goes turtle in judo I can just lift them and yeet them to their back for ippon?

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fULY7QgYYac

This video is closer to what happened, except in the one I'm referring to opponent is fully in turtle, dude comes up and yeets him while remaining standing.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 16, 2023

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'm getting snipped in a month, I'll take a month off entirely, then probably wear a cup my first month back just to be super safe.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Defenestrategy posted:

Flipping through facebook and saw high level judo competition footage where dude fails ouchi gari and goes to turtle to run the clock, his opponent, comes in from the side of his turtle, basically gets a waist lock. dead lifts, and flings his opponent to his opponents back while standing. The caption said Tawara-gaeshi.

That legit, where if the opponent goes turtle in judo I can just lift them and yeet them to their back for ippon?

This video is closer to what happened, except in the one I'm referring to opponent is fully in turtle, dude comes up and yeets him while remaining standing.

I've been messing around with using Tawara-gaeshi against double legs in BJJ, because it used to be a counter to Morotei Gari in Judo.

You can absolutely score a throw on someone that's on the ground as long as you're still standing - before the last tournament my Sensei had the kids pair up with one on their knees, one standing, both gripped up, and the standing person would try to blast an osoto gari while the kneeling person tried to extract themselves from that miserable situation. The rationale was that often in Judo you end up falling to your knees in a match, and you need to be ready to deal with both sides of that.

Edit: my tawara gaeshi looks like this, much less brutal:

https://youtu.be/TmTWgrmViZc?si=F9y7IHOU8YQ6NL4o

I especially make sure to roll on the opposite hip of their head, to keep it away from the matt. Mine is kind of more like a butterfly sweep?

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 16, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Defenestrategy posted:

This is one of the conceptually best rules in judo and one of the most confusing in the way it's written. Here's my summary:

• There are two phases of judo: tachi waza and ne waza. Tachi waza is the standing phase and ne waza is ground phase. They each have their own set of rules.
  • Each fighter's "state" is tracked independently in the rules. I.e. the "fight" is never in tachi waza, merely that the bout has times where both fighters are in tachi waza, or in ne waza, or one in each.
  • The legality or validity of a technique can vary based on whether uke and/or tori is in tachi waza or ne waza. E.g. it's illegal to grab the leg of or attempt to submit someone who is in tachi waza, but it's legal to do these to someone who is in ne waza.
  • Doing something that's "ne waza only" to someone who is clearly in ne waza puts someone in ne waza.
  • Pertinent to the question: scoring from throws specifically depends on tori's status

So now that's spelled out in this garble, what it means in practice is that you can't avoid being thrown by hiding in a turtle or newaza otherwise: if tori has a valid tachi waza grip that has continued from standing, they can still throw for ippon. This, despite the confusing rules structure in fact loving kicks rear end and makes lots of the common ways of stalling extremely difficult. The whole garbage rule pile in the end has a great bottom line: aggression is good.

Our local reffing organization actually has a golden rule for figuring these things out in practice, and it has helped me to understand the rules in the broad strokes: "Let Judo win." What that means is if you're in a situation where a decision needs to be made between an edge case rule or a rule being gamed to advantage, versus someone who is just trying to fight using judo, rule in favour of judo.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

oh and to specifically answer your first person question:

You'd pretty much need to continue with a valid standing grip to "yeet" them for points. If you go to your knees and grind your hands through for the grip, you've entered newaza.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommonShore posted:

You'd pretty much need to continue with a valid standing grip to "yeet" them for points. If you go to your knees and grind your hands through for the grip, you've entered newaza.

The setup was:

Uke - doing the standard judo turtle up.
Tori - No grips on uke, standing, maybe six inches away.
Tori - steps forward squats bends over, waist lock, deadlift, turn and yeet.

CommonShore posted:

This is one of the conceptually best rules in judo and one of the most confusing in the way it's written. Here's my summary:

• The legality or validity of a technique can vary based on whether uke and/or tori is in tachi waza or ne waza. E.g. it's illegal to grab the leg of or attempt to submit someone who is in tachi waza, but it's legal to do these to someone who is in ne waza.
  • Pertinent to the question: scoring from throws specifically depends on tori's status

So it is illegal for uke in this case to be in turtle and try a snatch single/ankle pick on tori who is standing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Defenestrategy posted:

The setup was:

Uke - doing the standard judo turtle up.
Tori - No grips on uke, standing, maybe six inches away.
Tori - steps forward squats bends over, waist lock, deadlift, turn and yeet.

So it is illegal for uke in this case to be in turtle and try a snatch single/ankle pick on tori who is standing.

Basically a Karelin lift. I wouldn't call or expect a score for that but id say it was cool.

Correct to the second, so long as the standing player hasn't started some kind of ground attack

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Basically a Karelin lift.

Looking at vids, this is exactly what happened.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Defenestrategy posted:

Looking at vids, this is exactly what happened.

Ok. So the specific reason I would not expect ippon there is that a waist lock can't be used as an initial grip in standing (because people stall with it- bear hug penalty, but you can move there and throw from a any legal grip) so the option there for the ref is to call it a bear hug, or call it a ground manoeuvre and a turnover.

Let judo win - don't penalize the person who is trying to do something cool and reward the stalling person.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah but if I get thrown for a wazari, and my opponent is coming down to pin me, I can dummy sweep them because they're trying to pass my guard and pin me. It won't earn me any points to dummy sweep them onto their back, because I was on the ground, but it's not illegal for me to do.

I think?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

toothdevil posted:

Thoughts on puzzle mats?

Puzzle mats are fine but make sure you buy the thickest kind - 5cm (2in) or thicker.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm getting snipped in a month, I'll take a month off entirely, then probably wear a cup my first month back just to be super safe.

The surgery is really minor to be honest. I wasn't doing bjj when I had mine done but I doubt you're going to need to be that cautious.

toothdevil
May 14, 2023

starkebn posted:

Puzzle mats are fine but make sure you buy the thickest kind - 5cm (2in) or thicker.

Any recommendations under $600 for 10'x10'? Closest I could find was https://proboxingsupplies.com/products/interlocking-puzzle-mats-2 but that's $80x9=$720, sort of defeating the purpose of going with the puzzle format to save money.

Any chance the "dollamur" brand magic would make the $250 1-inch puzzle mat worth it? https://dollamur.com/pro-level-puzzle-mats.html (Considering how the $600 rollout mat butros recommended is only 1.25" https://dollamur.com/flexi-connectr-home-martial-arts-mat-10x10-smooth.html)

starkebn
May 18, 2004

no, grappling on 1 inch mats is not worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

starkebn posted:

no, grappling on 1 inch mats is not worth it

It should be fine, if youre grappling in an apartment you shouldnt be doing anything more than some light drilling, the mats are there to protect the floor and your skin more than anything.