Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pretzellogic posted:

Oh. drat. That sucks.

On the Yes/Wakeman/Prog chat: I find myself beginning to appreciate progressive rock more as I cruise into middle-age. Is this normal? I feel like there should be some sort of "talk" given to those watching their youth dissolving away and finding that they're going through changes, like affinities for odd time-signatures and appreciation for architecture.

My ears feel funny.

That's the hairs sprouting, no big deal. OTOH I'm more gravitating toward more pure electronic music.

And I guess I'm living in another little cultural backwater and it's not caught up to the rest of the world? I find records out here, but mostly in junk stores, not official thrift stores. There are definitely record buzzards out here too, but I still find stuff. Any of you want to meet up and go thrifting, that would be okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ive mostly shifted to used CDs for popular music stuff, especially stuff actually released post-1985 or so. ridiculously cheap and far easier to store digitally (obviously)

like anything, i think if you like collecting for the fun of collecting, you do sometimes have to shift expectations and go to less hype-ridden segments of the vintage market. like collecting OG Xbox poo poo for video games or something lol

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

The Bandit posted:

I usually just lurk to see if anything cool gets posted. But we’re not 12 year olds, and the “you’re band sux” gets old and discourages posting. I’m all set on video game soundtracks and vaporwave, but don’t need to say it every time some one gets excited about their new Pokémon weed album.

I started posting in this thread in like 2015-2016 and it was loving dire back then. There was a pretty big subset of thread regulars that were only here to poo poo on absolutely everything. It was so tiring and you could tell it actively discouraged posting about whatever dumb and weird (or super mainstream) thing people were into because it would immediately get roasted.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Sorry guys for setting off a stream of bad posting yesterday. In accordance with thrift chat and owing to the fact I haven't seen a Herb Alpert album in the wild in months have some factoids I accidentally stumbled into today: apparently, depending on which internet listicle you go by he's fallen from 4th richest musician in the world to 6th at a mere worth of $900 million. And as far as I can tell his fortune is from his insane popularity in the 60s (he outsold the Beatles one year) as well as being the A in A&M Records.

Not too shabby for one of our dependable bargain/thrift store bin pals.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Turbinosamente posted:

Sorry guys for setting off a stream of bad posting yesterday. In accordance with thrift chat and owing to the fact I haven't seen a Herb Alpert album in the wild in months have some factoids I accidentally stumbled into today: apparently, depending on which internet listicle you go by he's fallen from 4th richest musician in the world to 6th at a mere worth of $900 million. And as far as I can tell his fortune is from his insane popularity in the 60s (he outsold the Beatles one year) as well as being the A in A&M Records.

Amazing.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/djstickyfingaz1/status/1460756849016197124?s=21

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

America.txt

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I was googling him because I was listening to my rip of Going Places this morning and was curious as to whether he was still alive. He is, he's 85 years old and looks pretty dang good.

I still feel bad that your Going Places record got smashed in the mail pwn.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

as well as being the A in A&M Records.

I think this is a lot of it. He had a massive career long after he stopped as a recording artist.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Feels Villeneuve posted:

one other rando thing from the "poo poo I found in opera boxes" category but my god is this Met libretto a gorgeous work of 60s modernism

This is so sick, I love it!

Pretzellogic posted:

On the Yes/Wakeman/Prog chat: I find myself beginning to appreciate progressive rock more as I cruise into middle-age. Is this normal? I feel like there should be some sort of "talk" given to those watching their youth dissolving away and finding that they're going through changes, like affinities for odd time-signatures and appreciation for architecture.

I started to say "All I know about prog rock came from that Venture Bros episode" until my partner reminded me that Jethro Tull is prog rock and I fuckin' LOVE Jethro Tull.

....Am I old now? :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af8ltlcZNi0

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

I don’t know if this has been covered since Herb Alpert is an evergreen topic, but when my grandma died a couple of years ago, I got her record collection, such as it was. Mainly stuff from the 60’s like Christmas compilations, pre-hippy Willie Nelson, and so forth. And sure enough, Whipped Cream and Other Delights.

Now, my grandparents were not “cool” people. They were very much in the tradition of June and Ward Cleaver, so the Alpert record struck me as interesting or at least a little out of place. When I asked my mom about it, she remembered that there used to be a bunch of record of the month clubs, and apparently Whipped Cream showed up in a lot of them a bunch. Kind of makes sense why it’s so omnipresent in old peoples’ collections.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Read After Burning posted:

I started to say "All I know about prog rock came from that Venture Bros episode" until my partner reminded me that Jethro Tull is prog rock and I fuckin' LOVE Jethro Tull.

Actually according to the Grammy's they're metal

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Blue Raider posted:

I don’t know if this has been covered since Herb Alpert is an evergreen topic, but when my grandma died a couple of years ago, I got her record collection, such as it was. Mainly stuff from the 60’s like Christmas compilations, pre-hippy Willie Nelson, and so forth. And sure enough, Whipped Cream and Other Delights.

Now, my grandparents were not “cool” people. They were very much in the tradition of June and Ward Cleaver, so the Alpert record struck me as interesting or at least a little out of place. When I asked my mom about it, she remembered that there used to be a bunch of record of the month clubs, and apparently Whipped Cream showed up in a lot of them a bunch. Kind of makes sense why it’s so omnipresent in old peoples’ collections.

Those early Willie Nelson records are sometimes worth some money.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

Those early Willie Nelson records are sometimes worth some money.

Just looked him up, I didn't know he wrote "Crazy." Willie can write some good stuff.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

petit choux posted:

Just looked him up, I didn't know he wrote "Crazy." Willie can write some good stuff.
Willie the songwriter is as underappreciated in the popular consciousness as Willie the stoner is overappreciated.

Related: He recorded an album of jazz/vocal standards with his neighbor Booker T Jones (Of Booker T and the MGs) and his voice is just killer on them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf5UvKjCDUU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

stealie72 posted:

Willie the songwriter is as underappreciated in the popular consciousness as Willie the stoner is overappreciated.

Related: He recorded an album of jazz/vocal standards with his neighbor Booker T Jones (Of Booker T and the MGs) and his voice is just killer on them.

Just wow, thanks.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

petit choux posted:

stealie72 posted:

Controversial opinion (at least to my Eagles-loving mom in law), but Willie and Waylon have a cover of "Take It to the Limit" that's far superior to the original!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y70yVMUy3A0

As one of my heroes Trae Crowder said: "Willie gets all the credit because he started it, but Waylon's the best outlaw!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbRVr0_ak48&t=168s

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Secret Records is doing a 50% sale now through the 24th with the code EARLY50.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Pretzellogic posted:

Oh. drat. That sucks.

My ears feel funny.

I didn't get into prog until about 10 years ago and I am increasingly an Old Goon.

I think it's the overall peacefulness of it. There aren't many messages to be found of any type (unless it's Roger Waters). A lot of ambiance and garbled lyrics, usually sung even less clearly. I had a long car ride recently and played all of No Earthly Connection, In the Wake of Poseidon and Switched-On Bach.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Along with Alpert I always seem to see a ton of Al Hirt records in the jazz section. There’s a scene in that new sopranos movie where Tony’s uncle gives Ray Liotta an Al Hirt record because he likes jazz and had previously asked for Miles Davis anyway that’s just about the only good scene in the movie and I think about it when I’m at the record store.

In recent pickups I got some Hawaiian/Tropical that I haven't listened to yet because I've been a bit under the weather, along with the Drive soundtrack and the third volume of the Japanese Funk collection.

Also I think Read After Burning and I have very similar taste because whenever they post I listen to some albums and then buy them. So we have Yugoslavian pressings of Eddy Grant and Atmosfear by Tangerine Dream. No reason in particular i got Yugo pressings, other than the ephemera of records that are from a country that no longer exists.

Arcella fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 18, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Arcella posted:

Along with Alpert I always seem to see a ton of Al Hirt records in the jazz section. There’s a scene in that new sopranos movie where Tony’s uncle gives Ray Liotta an Al Hirt record because he likes jazz and had previously asked for Miles Davis anyway that’s just about the only good scene in the movie and I think about it when I’m at the record store.

My HS band instructor played in Al Hirt's band. I still don't buy Al Hirt's records.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Sugar Lips, Honey in the Horn, they are all lost to me.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I think it's the overall peacefulness of it. There aren't many messages to be found of any type
I'm pretty sure "let's all go to outer space" is a message. Just saying.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

Secret Records is doing a 50% sale now through the 24th with the code EARLY50.

Thanks, I grabbed two of these (one for me, one for a friend.) By the way, there are two Secret Records: Secret Records Limited out of the UK and Secret Records Music out of Madison, WI. This discount is for the latter!

Someone posted about this a hundred or so posts ago but I do appreciate the increased Twitter exposure. Also,

https://twitter.com/riskybusiness/status/1460885859255787530?s=21

Turbinosamente posted:

I was googling him because I was listening to my rip of Going Places this morning and was curious as to whether he was still alive. He is, he's 85 years old and looks pretty dang good.

I still feel bad that your Going Places record got smashed in the mail pwn.

It’s such a shame as it was a pristine copy too. 150g, clean, even in a MoFo sleeve. I’ve not the heart to bin it.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Arcella posted:

Also I think Read After Burning and I have very similar taste because whenever they post I listen to some albums and then buy them. So we have Yugoslavian pressings of Eddy Grant and Atmosfear by Tangerine Dream. No reason in particular i got Yugo pressings, other than the ephemera of records that are from a country that no longer exists.

Aww, shucks. Hope I'm not hurting your wallet too bad! :P Here comes another round...

(Also that Japanese funk collection is sick, I've got all three volumes on my wishlist. :) )

Here's a few recent Discogs grabs! As you can see, I've got a bunch of black artists (this isn't even the full shipment, I just don't wanna make a massive post):

Apparently I'm determined to get every Pointer Sisters album, same thing I said with the Oak Ridge Boys. Thankfully, the former (15 albums) is a lot easier than the latter (31 albums)! I've already got over half of 'em. :3

If you want to get into Stevie Wonder, I consider this his best!

....And also one of the whitest things in existence.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Read After Burning posted:

If you want to get into Stevie Wonder, I consider this his best!

Not Innervisons, Talking Book, Songs in the Key of Life … characters… that’s a brave take.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

BigFactory posted:

Not Innervisons, Talking Book, Songs in the Key of Life … characters… that’s a brave take.

If it helps redeem me any, Talking Book is a pretty drat close second place. :kiddo:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Songs in the key of life is the album I put on super loud when nobody else is home. When the competing gospel and hare Krishna choirs swell up in pasttime paradise is just :discourse:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

Thanks, I grabbed two of these (one for me, one for a friend.) By the way, there are two Secret Records: Secret Records Limited out of the UK and Secret Records Music out of Madison, WI. This discount is for the latter!

Someone posted about this a hundred or so posts ago but I do appreciate the increased Twitter exposure. Also,

https://twitter.com/riskybusiness/status/1460885859255787530?s=21

It’s such a shame as it was a pristine copy too. 150g, clean, even in a MoFo sleeve. I’ve not the heart to bin it.

I'm going to call all Mobile Fidelity stuff MoFo now.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

BigFactory posted:

Haha yeah I just took a listen to Characters thinking I had missed some hidden gem. I'll stick with his earlier stuff.

Also. I unironically dig a lot of Herb Alpert and Metallica before the Black Album (and the Black Album too I guess)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

Haha yeah I just took a listen to Characters thinking I had missed some hidden gem. I'll stick with his earlier stuff.

Also. I unironically dig a lot of Herb Alpert and Metallica before the Black Album (and the Black Album too I guess)

I forgot to tell you this but I used that Whipped Cream cover you sent me told hold a mono copy of Magical Mystery Tour that had too moldy and hosed up of a cover to keep.

BY THE WAY.

Do any of you have a lovely copy of MMT with a decent cover that they wouldn't mind parting with? I'd pay shipping for it or just send you an album I have doubles of or some stupid poo poo I have laying around. I don't care about the actual record I just want a cover that isn't moldy or falling apart. Shelf wear, the booklet missing, etc doesn't really matter to me.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

sporklift posted:

Ha, different strokes, I guess! The only song off Characters I don't like is "With Each Beat of My Heart". "Free" is...Okay. The rest are amazing (in my opinion)!

marjorie
May 4, 2014

stealie72 posted:

Huh, I didn't know that! I've got that album, one of about 15 I was given from my dad's collection. I always enjoyed Willie, but never bothered to listen to this one - I'll definitely remedy that soon.

I've got this one too. Love Has Fallen on Me has some killer drums if you do any sampling. Stopped me dead in my tracks on my first listen to the record, and I still bop to it anytime it comes up on a playlist.

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

Pretzellogic posted:

When thrift store digging, embrace the weird. You're not going to find a VG+ Funhouse or mono Beatles album, but after you get past the endless Judy Collins, Sing Along With Mitch, and Ray Coniff Singers, there's still interesting stuff there. I'm partial to Hawaiian music, though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

i've discovered a love for surf rock i didn't know i had by sifting through the bargain bins.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Does anyone know where I can find Liquid Swords for a reasonable price online, preferably brand new?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Castor Poe posted:

Does anyone know where I can find Liquid Swords for a reasonable price online, preferably brand new?

Did you try the label and also what's your price range? I just googled it and someone has it for 40 bucks. Being a 2 LP I'm assuming that's the retail price or pretty close to it. My best advice is to set up a discogs wantlist and ebay alerts and have them so you get emails. Eventually someone will be selling it for a price you find reasonable. You might have to wait a while and you might not. That's just the nature of these things. I would also suggest calling record stores even if they're not close to you most places will mail poo poo. Good luck.

https://www.urbanvinyl.org/products...nBoCPHQQAvD_BwE

edit: I have some stuff to do but I can dig around later if you'd like.

$27.99

https://getondown.com/products/copy-of-liquid-swords-2xlp

The other stuff I said above still applies for other things you might want but anyway I found this just from Googlin'.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 20, 2021

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Did you try the label and also what's your price range? I just googled it and someone has it for 40 bucks. Being a 2 LP I'm assuming that's the retail price or pretty close to it.

https://www.urbanvinyl.org/products...nBoCPHQQAvD_BwE

edit: I have some stuff to do but I can dig around later if you'd like.

Hey, thanks for your help!

I almost bought a copy from that website the other day. After doing some research, they're seem kinda shady (they sell backorder items they advertise as being in-stock and hold your money). So, I'm a bit reluctant to do business with them, unless you guys have had good experiences with that site?

As for my price range, $60 is the highest I'm willing to go. I believe there's a version with an alternate Marvel cover that is easier to find and within my price range, but I REALLY want the OG one with GZA.

Sure, that'd be great! Thanks again, greatly appreciate your help!

Edit: Isn't get on down infamous for bad pressings?

Castor Poe fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 20, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Castor Poe posted:

Hey, thanks for your help!

I almost bought a copy from that website the other day. After doing some research, they're seem kinda shady (they sell backorder items they advertise as being in-stock and hold your money). So, I'm a bit reluctant to do business with them, unless you guys have had good experiences with that site?

As for my price range, $60 is the highest I'm willing to go. I believe there's a version with an alternate Marvel cover that is easier to find and within my price range, but I REALLY want the OG one with GZA.

Sure, that'd be great! Thanks again, greatly appreciate your help!

Edit: Isn't get on down infamous for bad pressings?

I would just not pay for anything with a card and use paypal or whatever similar thing you might have. I haven't dealt with Get On Down before and I don't know anything about that specific release but the thing about modern releases is that the quality control isn't what it use to be. The plants have been running at full steam the last couple years just to get as much poo poo out as fast as possible so it's always a roll of the dice anyway. If you're willing to pay as much as 60 bucks there are plenty of copies to be found for that price on ebay and discogs. Other than that my advice about wantlists/ebay alerts would apply.

From what I'm seeing on discogs that pressing was a Universal/Get On Down co-release. So it's likely pressed at the same plant as the other Universal reissues but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I believe a poster here works at a pressing plant so if they see this they might be able to fill us in on that minutiae.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 20, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Okay I hope it's not annoying that I keep going "AND ANOTEHR THING! but it's possible that the album isn't out of print. It could just be that they need to press more copies. As to how long that'll take is anyone's guess but it means that eventually more copies will come around again. Your best bet at paying the retail price is probably to visit/call record stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Okay I hope it's not annoying that I keep going "AND ANOTEHR THING! but it's possible that the album isn't out of print. It could just be that they need to press more copies. As to how long that'll take is anyone's guess but it means that eventually more copies will come around again. Your best bet at paying the retail price is probably to visit/call record stores.

Not at all!

I've tried my local record stores already to no avail. I think I'll just pull the trigger on the Get On Down version for now. Again, thank you for your help! <3