Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I do like that the Mortal Kombat games worked all their guest fighters into the lore.

Freddy Kreuger and Jason Voorhees? They're revenants, undead spirits brought back to torment and kill the living. Revenants are a well established part of MK's story.

Alien and Predator? Sure, there's aliens running around our galaxy, and Aliens are from another dimension's outer space.

Kratos? Yeah sure, he's from Outworld as well.

The Terminator? Another alternate timeline from a game full of them. He also gets "I see now why you cry" as a victory taunt when he wins a round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

OutOfPrint posted:

The reason 2B works so well is that, let's face it, smtake away the android bit and a blindfolded, fetishy French maid with floating swords makes sense in the Soul Caliber world.

I I'd never played a Soul Calibur before, I probably couldn't pick the guest character out of a lineup of 2B, Taki, Ivy and Voldo.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Geralt's actually a pretty great guest character because he hates it every time. In both Soul Calibur and Monster Hunter, his entire demeanor is "gently caress this weird bullshit, I just want to play card games."

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I loved that Jason Voorhees' ending in Mortal Kombat was the antagonist going "Wow, you killed EVERYONE. Join me and we can be unstoppable"

Then Jason kills them :allears: The man's got unshakeable principles

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Cythereal posted:

I do like that the Mortal Kombat games worked all their guest fighters into the lore.

Dead by Daylight takes a pretty similar approach. The lore (which much like a fighting game uses a lot of words to explain something 0.01% of players know or care about) sets up The Entity as a multi-dimensional timeless horror selecting the best victims and killers, so there's no reason that Ghost Face Killer or an ancient Sumerian priestess wouldn't be chasing down hapless teens from Stranger Things, Nightmare on Elm Street and Saw

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Crowetron posted:

Geralt's actually a pretty great guest character because he hates it every time. In both Soul Calibur and Monster Hunter, his entire demeanor is "gently caress this weird bullshit, I just want to play card games."

He can fit in to any universe as long as you have him complain about portals at some point

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

He can fit in to any universe as long as you have him complain about portals at some point

Valve, if you're reading this

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I like that Geralt hates when Geralt guests, because it means at least one other person agrees with me about him getting crammed into games I would otherwise enjoy.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
why would a guest character stop you from enjoying a game

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

In the case of Yoda in Soul Calibur, it was Oddjob syndrome- you couldn’t hit him with most moves. This was generally solvable by hitting your friend in the shoulder til they stopped doing it.

Link in SC2 had the Great Fairy sword with insane health regen and someone I knew would combine that with picking a stage with barriers on the edge to prevent ring outs until we all told him to gently caress off with that poo poo.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Well in Monster Hunter the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt guest boss fight is awful.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Cythereal posted:

Freddy Kreuger and Jason Voorhees? They're revenants, undead spirits brought back to torment and kill the living. Revenants are a well established part of MK's story.

Alien and Predator? Sure, there's aliens running around our galaxy, and Aliens are from another dimension's outer space.

Kratos? Yeah sure, he's from Outworld as well.

The Terminator? Another alternate timeline from a game full of them. He also gets "I see now why you cry" as a victory taunt when he wins a round.

I'm curious how they'll explain The Joker.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Samuringa posted:

I don't want to encourage a transphobic game developer.

Also I think Geralt is just a really boring character, he's got a real stink of 'some loser straight white guy thinks this is the coolest' without actually having any interesting traits to me whatsoever. He feels like the favorite character of the kind of guy who plays as the default Shepard in Mass Effect. So it's mostly the 'CDPR is transphobic' thing, but he's not exactly interesting enough to overcome that.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Fair enough

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Well in Monster Hunter the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt guest boss fight is awful.

Very true. The Behemoth Final Fantasy fight is also pretty bad.

Ariong posted:

They'll just have Johnny Cage mutter something about "cross-promotion" and "synergy".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Calling Geralt generic and boring is a great way to let people know you don't know anything about the Witcher series. The rest of that is your choice though.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ariong posted:

They already had a whole Mortal Kombat vs DC game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

CJacobs posted:

Calling Geralt generic and boring is a great way to let people know you don't know anything about the Witcher series. The rest of that is your choice though.

It's a bit of a paradox. It looks boring and generic unless you get into it. But I can't get into it because it looks boring and generic.

I'm almost grateful that it turned out CDPR are transphobic, because it meant that I could completely opt out of that whole thing. But then Geralt kept intruding in on games I otherwise would like, so that sucks.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh poo poo, that sucks. I couldn't have named the developer, I somehow didn't realize it was that one. I was pretty cool on Witcher 3 but always meant to give it another try sometime, guess I don't need to bother.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh poo poo, that sucks. I couldn't have named the developer, I somehow didn't realize it was that one. I was pretty cool on Witcher 3 but always meant to give it another try sometime, guess I don't need to bother.

:pirate:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the best part about 2B guesting in SC6 is that her alt costume (dark skin + white dress (called 2P, because it's her Second Player costume)) is starting to become how they represent her in other games she guests in. In a few days the Nier crossover raid designed by Yoko Taro is going to be hitting FF14 and you hang out with 2P instead of 2B.

Babe Magnet has a new favorite as of 01:19 on Oct 26, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CJacobs posted:

People have told me about the Witcher series at great length. I still feel Jerry is generic and boring.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

I don't want to encourage a transphobic game developer.

So it's mostly the 'CDPR is transphobic' thing,

Just out of curiosity, did CDPR do something new in this regard? Last I heard the only thing they did was the Cyberpunk posters.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just out of curiosity, did CDPR do something new in this regard? Last I heard the only thing they did was the Cyberpunk posters.

https://kotaku.com/cyberpunk-2077-tweets-transphobic-joke-studio-apologiz-1828502562

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Cleretic posted:

It's a bit of a paradox. It looks boring and generic unless you get into it. But I can't get into it because it looks boring and generic.

I'm almost grateful that it turned out CDPR are transphobic, because it meant that I could completely opt out of that whole thing. But then Geralt kept intruding in on games I otherwise would like, so that sucks.

geralt sucks and is super boring, you aren't alone

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Man, I clicked that CDPR link and in addition to some anti-trans memes, they've always tweeted some extremely pro-gamergate stuff in the past as well. That sucks, I now have extremely mixed feelings on this new cyberpunk game.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Even among people that don't dislike Geralt, general consensus seems to be "Ciri is better, make her the protagonist of the next game." I haven't ever played the games, but just by looking at the two, she's obviously cooler.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Olaf The Stout posted:

Man, I clicked that CDPR link and in addition to some anti-trans memes, they've always tweeted some extremely pro-gamergate stuff in the past as well. That sucks, I now have extremely mixed feelings on this new cyberpunk game.

If it helps, what journalists have been able to see of 2077 suggests that it's also racist.

Which is almost less surprising than if it wasn't, really.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

There's a Hammer move in Monster Hunter World where you can charge it just enough so that you do this running, jumping, upward Hammer swing. Sometimes you're fighting a dragon who's just at the right flinch threshold, and it lunges at you to attack right when you land that move on its chin, knocking it off its feet like a Punch-Out enemy. It might be my single favorite thing to do in a video game.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's cool that in The Outer Worlds I can fail part of a quest by accidentally skipping a step but then the game allows me go back and do what I missed anyway despite what the journal says.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Another thing about The Outer Worlds is that it makes a point of having the main quest be not at all time critical. You're supposed to find a way to wake up a bunch of people frozen in hibernation for 70 years, and they'll keep until you get around to it.

Which is a good thing, because I'm currently spending my time doing very important things setting my party member Parvati up on a date. Which is also a great little thing in itself, because these two useless lesbians are just too adorable. :allears:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cleretic posted:

poo poo, this whole time I thought Witcher and Cyberpunk makers were totally different companies.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Geralt is a pretty dull protagonist to play in his own game but his Soul Calibur 6 moveset owns. Basically if there's another Witcher game just let Namco design the combat.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Another thing about The Outer Worlds is that it makes a point of having the main quest be not at all time critical. You're supposed to find a way to wake up a bunch of people frozen in hibernation for 70 years, and they'll keep until you get around to it.

Which is a good thing, because I'm currently spending my time doing very important things setting my party member Parvati up on a date. Which is also a great little thing in itself, because these two useless lesbians are just too adorable. :allears:

I've only had Parvati on my team so far but I really like her personality and they really fleshed out her motivations and history with people you encounter around the first town.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

If it helps, what journalists have been able to see of 2077 suggests that it's also racist.

Watching white games journalists gear up their, "this thing is problematic" think pieces only to have Mike Poundsmith start yelling at them was really funny.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Y'all got me to buy Control and I'm really digging it so thanks!

Also realized while I was playing it that I'd seen an early teaser for it years ago and meant to keep an eye on it but forgot, so it was like "oh it's that game, it finally came out, I should go and get... wait nope I've already got it, sweet"

e: huh okay announced in 2018 and that's not the trailer I was thinking of. I could have sworn I saw a trailer with the same mystery vibe and specifically featuring the janitor.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 17:10 on Oct 26, 2019

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

My Lovely Horse posted:

Y'all got me to buy Control and I'm really digging it so thanks!

Also realized while I was playing it that I'd seen an early teaser for it years ago and meant to keep an eye on it but forgot, so it was like "oh it's that game, it finally came out, I should go and get... wait nope I've already got it, sweet"

e: huh okay announced in 2018 and that's not the trailer I was thinking of. I could have sworn I saw a trailer with the same mystery vibe and specifically featuring the janitor.

Remedy loves their janitor stuff, it may have been Quantum Break or you may have your memory jumbling in the guy from MP2.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Geralt is a pretty dull protagonist to play in his own game but his Soul Calibur 6 moveset owns. Basically if there's another Witcher game just let Namco design the combat.

An RPG where when diplomacy fails it loads up an arena for combat? Now THAT would be a great game.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Leal posted:

An RPG where when diplomacy fails it loads up an arena for combat? Now THAT would be a great game.

Planescape: Torment would look like a Mortal Kombat game. I would be down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I was complaining about vehicles in Alan Wake over in the bad games things thread, so to balance it out one of the neat little things is how they handle active weapon reloading: you can press R (or whatever on console) to reload normally, but you can also hammer the button to hurriedly load in each round a little bit faster. It doesn't penalize you at all, and it creates lots of fun frantic moments with you sweating while Alan frantically jams bullets in, hopefully just in time to take out the shadow guy running straight at you :sweatdrop: