Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

1st gen products always sucks, especially Apple's. The first Air was a travesty with the closed hinge that covered up the ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Cingulate posted:

I need a new computer :(

I'll get one and swap it in somewhere when the new ones are out, thoughts?

Just get a 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jose Valasquez posted:

Just get a 2015

Applies across the whole Apple range TBH

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jose Valasquez posted:

Just get a 2015
Nope, not an option. Too heavy. If at all, I'd get a retina MacBook.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

too heavy? They're less than 2kg do you have polio?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
No, I just use my portable as a portable, in the sense Tim and Steve intended Man to, and not as a desktop replacement.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

You are insane if you think a 13" 2kg laptop is too heavy for portable use.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think I write this in like every second post ITT, but I carry my laptop with me at least 4 hours every day.

If you actually use your portable as a portable, you begin to notice half a kg. Going from my old pro to my current air was a massive improvement.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

If you can't carry around 3.5lbs all day perhaps you should go check out the general exercise thread in W&W.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm going to wait for another refresh

Never buy 1st rev hardware by anyone. Including (and maybe especially) Apple.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 4, 2016

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

If you can't carry around 3.5lbs all day perhaps you should go check out the general exercise thread in W&W.

In fact, the 2016 is only 0.5lbs lighter than that.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Bob Morales posted:

what the gently caress is a tech bro

Jose Valasquez posted:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jose Valasquez posted:

In fact, the 2016 is only 0.5lbs lighter than that.
Im a broken crippled shell of a man now, barely fit enough to press the post button multiple times a minute, but it's not unlikely my top deadlift is in the top 3 of posters in this thread and going from a 4-lbs computer to a 3.5lbs one still made a lot of a difference.

A lot more than going from one type of RAM to another I am sure.

Apple, with all of their legendary understanding of customer desires, being able to predict not what you want, but what you will want, seem to agree.

I'm super happy for everyone who can get a fully decked out 2015 15" now though and be satisfied. Isn't that amazing - last gens apple product always seems to be exactly what a bunch of people think this gen should have been.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Personally I'm a weak skinny-fat computer geek, 160lbs 6'0", and I carried a 17" MBP around campus for entire days in a backpack, and I didn't find it heavy at all. I brought it with me on trips where I had to walk around a lot too. I don't get why you can't unless you have some condition that tires you or causes pain. If you're healthy, it shouldn't be a problem. Either you're not healthy and you're not telling us, or you're making a big deal out of nothing.

Personally? I'd rather have the extra weight, and the ports, and the battery life. I wish we had a retina 17 :/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

[neckbeard]
I'm a bigger guy (6-3 350) so I need a bigger machine :smug:

[/neckbeard]

Actually my favorite comment by people is that they have 'big hands' so they need a bigger machine. THE KEYBOARDS ARE ALL THE SAME SIZE.

The 15" MBP is pretty thin and light, especially compared to clunkier PC laptops of not that long ago. I don't think anyone would really complain about it in a backpack.

But If you're using it on the go, especially at a tiny coffee shop table or classroom desk, it's just too big. Compared to the 13" it's only an inch one way and two inches the other, but the footprint increase is pretty big. and going down to a 11" Air or 12" MacBook is an even nicer setup, but you start to make screen space sacrifices.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pivo posted:

Personally I'm a weak skinny-fat computer geek, 160lbs 6'0", and I carried a 17" MBP around campus for entire days in a backpack, and I didn't find it heavy at all. I brought it with me on trips where I had to walk around a lot too. I don't get why you can't unless you have some condition that tires you or causes pain. If you're healthy, it shouldn't be a problem. Either you're not healthy and you're not telling us, or you're making a big deal out of nothing.

Personally? I'd rather have the extra weight, and the ports, and the battery life. I wish we had a retina 17 :/
I didn't have much of a problem carrying around a massive Dell with Linux on it when I was a student either, but I'm older now, actually work a job, commute very far, and know things can be better.

Okay, it's not that it's objectively the only correct way for laptops to be as thin as possible. There's a wide spectrum from optimal performance to optimal portability.
But on the other hand, it's not objectively correct for laptops to not be as thin as possible either. I very clearly benefit from them being lighter. It's just a lot of trains and airports and running to meetings - you notice it very quickly.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
It's just really dumb to bypass a 2015 because "it's too heavy". I tote a 2012 non retina to school four days a week 5 hours a day and sometimes I forget I have it with me. It's one of the lightest things I have to carry.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

rally posted:

It's just really dumb to bypass a 2015 because "it's too heavy". I tote a 2012 non retina to school four days a week 5 hours a day and sometimes I forget I have it with me. It's one of the lightest things I have to carry.
I don't think it's dumb, but how lucky are you that you can use Mac hardware from 2 years ago and it totally works fine for you? You must save so much money compared to me.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Please just shut this thread down now, we've hit peak insanity when .5lb on an Apple product (which are already lighter than everything else) is factoring into buying decisions.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TraderStav posted:

Please just shut this thread down now, we've hit peak insanity when .5lb on an Apple product (which are already lighter than everything else) is factoring into buying decisions.
You call it .5lb, I call it 25%.

But what are legitimate concerns - RAM that's 25% faster? Having to carry around a <.5lb dongle?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Cingulate posted:

I didn't have much of a problem carrying around a massive Dell with Linux on it when I was a student either, but I'm older now, actually work a job, commute very far, and know things can be better.

Yeah I'm nearly 30 campus was a long time ago and I had a job where I had to carry around a huge heavy Dell and that was a pain in the rear end. The MacBook Pro is a featherweight in that context - any of them.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cingulate posted:

But what are legitimate concerns - RAM that's 25% faster? Having to carry around a <.5lb dongle?

The lower battery life due to the 1/3 smaller battery.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

The lower battery life due to the 1/3 smaller battery.
<25% less battery life? Having to carry around a <.5lb charger?

Pivo posted:

Yeah I'm nearly 30 campus was a long time ago and I had a job where I had to carry around a huge heavy Dell and that was a pain in the rear end. The MacBook Pro is a featherweight in that context - any of them.
And I hope they're gonna push that envelope until we can look back at today's Macbooks and again say: ours are now featherweights compared to these.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Cingulate posted:

You call it .5lb, I call it 25%.

Yes, you can use percentages. However, when you begin to divide by small amounts then large percentages are created to sound much more impressive. I don't lift percentages, I lift pounds.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I can't loving wait to get my touchbar MBP, you goddamn nerds

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TraderStav posted:

Yes, you can use percentages. However, when you begin to divide by small amounts then large percentages are created to sound much more impressive. I don't lift percentages, I lift pounds.
That (diminishing returns) is not a bad argument, but it works precisely as well with RAM and battery life.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Cingulate posted:

I don't think it's dumb, but how lucky are you that you can use Mac hardware from 2 years ago and it totally works fine for you? You must save so much money compared to me.

Hah what? I'm positive you missed my point. There's also the fact that a 2015 could possibly provide more computing power for less money but okay ... if that weight difference matters so much to you then I am deeply sorry for your severe handicap.

rally fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 4, 2016

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

rally posted:

Hah what? I'm positive you missed my point. There's also the fact that a 2015 could possibly provide more computing power for less money but okay ... if that weight difference matters so much to you then I am deeply sorry for your severe handicap.
Yes, and I am genuinely happy for you that you can get all that computing power for less money, while I can get the amazing new superslim superthin design for boatloads. Capitalism!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I carry a Mac Pro on my back like I'm going to go bust some ghosts

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

1st gen products always sucks, especially Apple's. The first Air was a travesty with the closed hinge that covered up the ports.

flosofl posted:

Never buy 1st rev hardware by anyone. Including (and maybe especially) Apple.
There's no way to define the new Macbook pro as a '1st gen' that doesn't also make every Macbook pro '1st gen'. This missive isn't untrue, but what we're seeing isn't teething issues in a new product, but a complete face-plant on an attempt to iterate.
MBP pro users I know wanted a speed-bump.
Apple said they didn't want to do a speed-bump release.

Cingulate posted:

Okay, it's not that it's objectively the only correct way for laptops to be as thin as possible. There's a wide spectrum from optimal performance to optimal portability.
But on the other hand, it's not objectively correct for laptops to not be as thin as possible either. I very clearly benefit from them being lighter. It's just a lot of trains and airports and running to meetings - you notice it very quickly.
The problem here is they've mashed the air into the pro and created a hybrid that isn't ideal for enthusiasts of either previous machine. The 15" MBP is now a worse 'main computer' than at any previous time and Apple don't have an alternative that does it, and are in fact busy telling people they shouldn't want such a thing.

If you step back a moment you might appreciate people have other use cases than you.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Selling a 15" early 2013 rMBP, posting here 'cause I've noticed people dont watch SA mart much for macbooks.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

no joke I forget my 2015 13" is even in my backpack sometime.

edit: i had to metric-ify .5lb - you seriously care about a 220g difference? I'm pretty sure a belt buckle or a particularly heavy fedora would tip 200g.

well why not fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 4, 2016

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Khablam posted:

The problem here is they've mashed the air into the pro and created a hybrid that isn't ideal for enthusiasts of either previous machine. The 15" MBP is now a worse 'main computer' than at any previous time and Apple don't have an alternative that does it, and are in fact busy telling people they shouldn't want such a thing.

If you step back a moment you might appreciate people have other use cases than you.
Like, right in that post you're quoting there:

Cingulate posted:

But on the other hand, it's not objectively correct for laptops to not be as thin as possible either.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'd be happiest if apple adopted a business model much like juice shop. you should be able to pick a size and scoop as much computer juice into it was u like

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Mu Zeta posted:

I would take the bomber-hatch again if they'd give me my ports back. How far I've fallen. :smith:

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
The air doesn't make sense now since laptops are so thin. Two lines for all:

MacBook and MacBook Pro
iPad (reg and mini) iPad Pro (Reg and mini)
iPhone and +

Daaaaaats it

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

mods just gas the thread

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

so did the hatch just break of instantly or what?

for everyone's huge 'STEVE WOULD NEVER ALLOW THIS' whinges, the hatch is kind of a glaring example of crap design he pushed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Pivo gas ur cat(s).