Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

My impression is that Smash is not for everyone but is a good game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

SilverSupernova posted:

Also the diehards cling religiously to the second game like the Street Fighter fanbase.

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, nah. SF2 might've muscled out SF3 for a hot minute but Smash is something else.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Policenaut posted:

I mean, there's patents for a lot of things that never come out. Sony has that patent I think where you have to verbally acknowledge an advertisement for it to go away, and the patent had that funny picture of the tiny cartoon man shouting MCDONALDS! at his TV.

Also I think they patented the Matrix, but PS9 is a lone ways away.

For some reason I never noticed that the show that's being interrupted is just some dude getting shot. lmao

America owns :patriot:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, nah. SF2 might've muscled out SF3 for a hot minute but Smash is something else.

I have never in my life seen someone desire any version of SF2 over Third Strike. Third Strike is insanely popular.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Super Turbo is better than Third Strike so I'd rather play that, but I'll just play it for free on FightCade instead of buying a $40 attempt at rebalancing a decades old game on Switch.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

RZA Encryption posted:

If you miss it, but you've kept it, maybe play it?

It is at my parent's house. But next time I go home I will take it back to my dojo.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Takoluka posted:

I have never in my life seen someone desire any version of SF2 over Third Strike. Third Strike is insanely popular.

Third Strike is a super good game and everyone should play it

Edit: Doesn't hurt that it was also a sweet FG debut for my Husbando Hugo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

EpicNemesis posted:

I saw a lot of activity in here and thought people were posting a whole bunch of impressions from PAX South or something. Nope, just a bunch of nerd sperging over the merits of various smash games against other smash games and other fighting games.

gently caress all of you. I want impressions from goons about something I'm going to buy regardless of the outcome of said impressions.

I love these posts because they're worse than everything else in the thread.

Takoluka posted:

Third Strike is the greatest Street Fighter ever conceived.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The smash community is trash though

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
And now, it's time to switch *snap*...to making good posts

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

EpicNemesis posted:

I saw a lot of activity in here and thought people were posting a whole bunch of impressions from PAX South or something. Nope, just a bunch of nerd sperging over the merits of various smash games against other smash games and other fighting games.

gently caress all of you. I want impressions from goons about something I'm going to buy regardless of the outcome of said impressions.

Sorry, in that case this is a DOA system with two tiny wiimotes attached to it that's probably gonna have some fun zelda and mario games.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
I went to PAX South and was only able to play Breath of the Wild. The BotW demo was held separately from the other switch games for some reason, but while waiting for about 2-3 hours in line I was able to watch and take in other people's experiences.

My impressions of the Switch: I like it. Looks super fun and some of the new games really take advantage of the HD rumble

The joycon are tiny. I imagine larger handed folks may want to invest in the pro-controller thing. While playing BotW, they walked us through switching from console to handheld. It was super smooth and easy- but the pro controller was definitely the way to go. I can see using the handheld for simpler games or when you need to let someone on the TV, but not much outside of that. It is pretty hefty. I quickly returned it to the dock bc it was pretty heavy. I want to say about 5lbs. Basically its A LOT heavier than a 3ds or an IPAD.

Games that stood out:

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: GORGEOUS. You can run around in your underwear. You can pick up random weapons the enemies have. You can eat apples to restore hearts and climb trees to get them. There was this frequency widget and a temperature gauge at the bottom of the screen that I forgot to ask about bc I was so excited. Environment could be a factor. Stamina definitely is- you can't perform some actions if you run until it depletes. Running and swimming deplete stamina for instance. Also, specifics of the story : the demo did not have a fairy companion. Instead you get a switch looking device/tablet that you can use as binoculars or a map. Apparently there is some ancient high tech in the world. You wake up from a cryo chamber 100 years after the last time you saved Hyrule. The Hyrulean castle that imprisons the ultimate evil force, Calamity Ganon, is deteriorating and it is only time until it is unleashed. You will also at some point early in the game get a hand glider- but my demo ended before I hit the first dungeon .

ARMS: This game may end up becoming a decent competitive game. The fighters all have their unique ways of playing. This is done by the kinds of gloves they can equip. The demo had each fighter choose 1 of 3 gloves, and they don't have to match on each hand. For instance- Ribbon Girl had a streamer glove which shot out 2 arms. So if she equipped in both hands- that's 4 arms! Or she could use the Slapping Gloves which seemed to give her a bit more range. You can mix and match for some cool combonations. You have to make sure you time your punches or you do leave yourself open. My friend explained it this way: Imagine taking the fighting game essentials and literally stretch the timing out by a few seconds.

Overall the switch is fun as hell and I'm definitely going to get one. I may end up grabbing the pro controller for single player games. Like I said I didn't play any of the other games so I have no idea how the joycons as separate controllers feel. It did seem that Nintendo wants you to buy the bumper extensions because the booth where they were showcasing it's portability- all the joycons had it.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Takoluka posted:

Weird, the few tournament sin my area still desperately clung to Super Turbo after Third Strike dropped. Never really thought too much about it afterwards. I'll assume this is the exception.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Third Strike is the greatest Street Fighter ever conceived.

The disturbing lack of Skullomania in Third Strike discredits that statement.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Does the argument against smash being a fighting game come down to something like:

Smash has randomness that negates player skill and it doesn't have complex combos? Because other than those two things, it seems like other fighting games.

As someone who isn't super into fighting games or Smash, I'd argue that the actual fighting is completely different. Smash seems to be more based around reaction and target prioritization like a beat 'em up or regular action platformer, except competitive.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

SilverSupernova posted:

Weird, the few tournament sin my area still desperately clung to Super Turbo after Third Strike dropped. Never really thought too much about it afterwards. I'll assume this is the exception.

The disturbing lack of Skullomania in Third Strike discredits that statement.

Counter: You get Necro

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

As someone who isn't super into fighting games or Smash, I'd argue that the actual fighting is completely different. Smash seems to be more based around reaction and target prioritization like a beat 'em up or regular action platformer, except competitive.

But it's still a fighting game.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Smash is a fighting game compared to others in the same way Bubsy 3D and the Mona Lisa are both art.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Spellman posted:

Smash is a fighting game compared to others in the same way Bubsy 3D and the Mona Lisa are both art.

Did the Mona Lisa give us a mentally dysfunctional sperglord who made videos of him getting as high up as possible and saying "You probably didn't think you could get that high."

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

What have I wrought bringing up smash.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Smash is like a fighting game except it is fun.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Waltzing Along posted:

This actually the best argument for Smash not being a fighting game.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

:yeah:

I had a blast with SF2 and MK2 back in the day, but it's much more repetitive than Smash and I also can't get nearly as many IRL people interested in it.

Smash is good.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

the thing isn't very portable my rear end

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TFRazorsaw posted:

No one said it wasn't portable, just you can't fit it in your pockets. Unless you have JNCOs.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

cancerianmoth posted:

I went to PAX South and was only able to play Breath of the Wild. The BotW demo was held separately from the other switch games for some reason, but while waiting for about 2-3 hours in line I was able to watch and take in other people's experiences.

My impressions of the Switch: I like it. Looks super fun and some of the new games really take advantage of the HD rumble

The joycon are tiny. I imagine larger handed folks may want to invest in the pro-controller thing. While playing BotW, they walked us through switching from console to handheld. It was super smooth and easy- but the pro controller was definitely the way to go. I can see using the handheld for simpler games or when you need to let someone on the TV, but not much outside of that. It is pretty hefty. I quickly returned it to the dock bc it was pretty heavy. I want to say about 5lbs. Basically its A LOT heavier than a 3ds or an IPAD.

Games that stood out:

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: GORGEOUS. You can run around in your underwear. You can pick up random weapons the enemies have. You can eat apples to restore hearts and climb trees to get them. There was this frequency widget and a temperature gauge at the bottom of the screen that I forgot to ask about bc I was so excited. Environment could be a factor. Stamina definitely is- you can't perform some actions if you run until it depletes. Running and swimming deplete stamina for instance. Also, specifics of the story : the demo did not have a fairy companion. Instead you get a switch looking device/tablet that you can use as binoculars or a map. Apparently there is some ancient high tech in the world. You wake up from a cryo chamber 100 years after the last time you saved Hyrule. The Hyrulean castle that imprisons the ultimate evil force, Calamity Ganon, is deteriorating and it is only time until it is unleashed. You will also at some point early in the game get a hand glider- but my demo ended before I hit the first dungeon .

ARMS: This game may end up becoming a decent competitive game. The fighters all have their unique ways of playing. This is done by the kinds of gloves they can equip. The demo had each fighter choose 1 of 3 gloves, and they don't have to match on each hand. For instance- Ribbon Girl had a streamer glove which shot out 2 arms. So if she equipped in both hands- that's 4 arms! Or she could use the Slapping Gloves which seemed to give her a bit more range. You can mix and match for some cool combonations. You have to make sure you time your punches or you do leave yourself open. My friend explained it this way: Imagine taking the fighting game essentials and literally stretch the timing out by a few seconds.

Overall the switch is fun as hell and I'm definitely going to get one. I may end up grabbing the pro controller for single player games. Like I said I didn't play any of the other games so I have no idea how the joycons as separate controllers feel. It did seem that Nintendo wants you to buy the bumper extensions because the booth where they were showcasing it's portability- all the joycons had it.

This is a good post, thanks cancerianmoth! Not going to get the chance to play any demos or anything myself, so it's great to hear other people's impressions. Especially for some of the things I'm on the fence about like ARMS. Didn't know what to think of it when I first saw the trailer for it, but it seems like everyone's saying good things about it. The way you described the different gloves mechanic is really interesting! Did you get a chance to play anything else?

Glad to hear switching the Switch from docked to handheld is really easy. Off-TV play was handy on the Wii U so it's good to see the Switch able to serve the same purpose as well (in addition to all the other advantages of being a handheld console, of course).

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Big enough that I won't be taking it on planes or anything. Really the only time it would leave the house is if we drive to visit my parents or in-laws for a few days. I still don't think it will replace the 3DS/handheld line.

Then again, I am weird about taking my N3DSXL on trips and just take a 2DS just in case it gets broken, lost or stolen.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I wish the joycons in the retail version were black like the devkits.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

TFRazorsaw posted:

it's portable but in a different way from previous nintendo handhelds.

gameboy pocket up through the 3DS was a "put it in your pocket" kind of handheld system. the original gameboy was too thick to do that, it was kind of a weird thing really

the Switch is portable in a similar way to like, an ipad or a laptop. you're going to want it inside a bag or some kind of case, you aren't just going to pocket it and go. you'll be able to bring it on airplanes or on road trips or with you to a friend's place or a hotel room or whatever. but you won't see kids pocketing it to bring to school and play between classes.

it's a little less convenient but its fine

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Just cause something can't fit in your pocket doesn't mean it's not portable. Who puts books in their pocket? Or laptops/tablets? (Phablets don't count.)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

cancerianmoth posted:

A little confused, which control schemes did you try exactly, kinda sounds like you just used it with the pro controller and then just as a handheld? I'm planning on trying split joycons myself, and I've heard (although reports vary) that them in the grip is decent enough, lack of dpad notwithstanding.

As for 5 pounds uhh...did it have a big ol security tether on there? 5 pounds is a lot for a portable device, like lighter desktop replacement notebooks are around there. Official spec is about 300-400g for tablet alone and w/joycons, i.e. under a pound. For comparison an iPad mini is around 300g too, while the 9.7" ones are around 450g.

Kelp Plankton posted:

it's portable but in a different way from previous nintendo handhelds.

gameboy pocket up through the 3DS was a "put it in your pocket" kind of handheld system. the original gameboy was too thick to do that, it was kind of a weird thing really

the Switch is portable in a similar way to like, an ipad or a laptop. you're going to want it inside a bag or some kind of case, you aren't just going to pocket it and go. you'll be able to bring it on airplanes or on road trips or with you to a friend's place or a hotel room or whatever. but you won't see kids pocketing it to bring to school and play between classes.

it's a little less convenient but its fine
Course a big difference these days is that most pockets already have a chunk of space taken up by a phone when the kids are old enough.

(Increasingly large phones :argh:)

japtor fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 31, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

There's no way in hell it's 5 lbs unless it's made of cast iron.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

CatsPajamas posted:

This is a good post, thanks cancerianmoth! Not going to get the chance to play any demos or anything myself, so it's great to hear other people's impressions. Especially for some of the things I'm on the fence about like ARMS. Didn't know what to think of it when I first saw the trailer for it, but it seems like everyone's saying good things about it. The way you described the different gloves mechanic is really interesting! Did you get a chance to play anything else?

Glad to hear switching the Switch from docked to handheld is really easy. Off-TV play was handy on the Wii U so it's good to see the Switch able to serve the same purpose as well (in addition to all the other advantages of being a handheld console, of course).

I did not get a chance to play anything else. There was this game I watched called snip (something something). The premise was you and a friend had to solve these puzzles by manipulating your avatars shapes by over lapping them and "snipping" the overlapping areas. Making rectangles into scoop like shapes in order to pickup and transport a ball into the hoop. It was pretty clever!

japtor posted:

A little confused, which control schemes did you try exactly, kinda sounds like you just used it with the pro controller and then just as a handheld? I'm planning on trying split joycons myself, and I've heard (although reports vary) that them in the grip is decent enough, lack of dpad notwithstanding.

As for 5 pounds uhh...did it have a big ol security tether on there? 5 pounds is a lot for a portable device, like lighter desktop replacement notebooks are around there. Official spec is about 300-400g for tablet alone and w/joycons, i.e. under a pound. For comparison an iPad mini is around 300g too, while the 9.7" ones are around 450g.

Correct- I didn't actually try it in the portable 2 player mode where each person gets a joycon. Without the pro controller you can still play Zelda with both free joy cons.

As for weight, it did not have a tether on it. 5lbs was a guess- but it definitely has some weight to it. But, to me, it felt heavier than a pound. Again this was while I was super excited, exhausted, and from memory. However, you should feel assured that it doesn't feel flimsy.

Oh and I forgot to mention the quality of switching to the handheld. With breath of the wild it seemed a bit weird bc of the art style of the game itself. It still looked very good however. The quality didn't degrade, it was just moving from a big nice tv to something so small was a bit jarring. However the other games, playing on the handheld looked crisp and clean.

cancerianmoth fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 31, 2017

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

cancerianmoth posted:

As for weight, it did not have a tether on it. 5lbs was a guess- but it definitely has some weight to it. But, to me, it felt heavier than a pound. Again this was while I was super excited, exhausted, and from memory. However, you should feel assured that it doesn't feel flimsy.

5 lbs would make the Switch nearly 7x as heavy as a N3DSXL, and twice as heavy as an actual Wii console. :v:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Fighting game players are more messed up in the head than eve players, confirm/deny?

I do know that in the retro barcade business it's well known that once you put fighting game cabinets in they immediately attract a rowdier, more dudebro crowd.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

This thing is going to be so much fun to have :D

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

Does the argument against smash being a fighting game come down to something like:

Smash has randomness that negates player skill and it doesn't have complex combos? Because other than those two things, it seems like other fighting games.

no it comes down to smash having a community wholly separate from the traditional fgc with a different culture and having to put up with them at majors because tournaments want their money

i like both types of games but some people get real mad

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 31, 2017

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Ziddar posted:

5 lbs would make the Switch nearly 7x as heavy as a N3DSXL, and twice as heavy as an actual Wii console. :v:

lets say... 2 lbs? I know its heavier than my 3DS or an iPad (but not by much I think).

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its like 3-4 hundred grams according to spec sheets with joycons attached

400 grams is .9lbs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

an unopened can of coke weights slightly less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

s.i.r.e. posted:

There's no way in hell it's 5 lbs unless it's made of cast iron.
That would be a Nintendo like response for a Switch revision if people complained the original felt too light and flimsy.

• Locked thread