Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

bahahaha what is he even doing, why is he trying to shake that man's left hand

no seagull, pull up, pull up! that's not how you do it!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

But Not Tonight posted:

bahahaha what is he even doing, why is he trying to shake that man's left hand

no seagull, pull up, pull up! that's not how you do it!!

Let's all agree to shake Seagulls left hand if we ever run into him.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

Are there any EU goons itt? I've been queuing with my girlfriend and a friend, and they are hovering around 2500+, while I just got to 2800. It would be cool to team up with more nerds, or just have someone to queue with at times where I would usually solo queue.
You can add me if you want, DrDrew#21467. Also been hovering around 2700-2850 but haven't played for a week or so.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Gonna start believing in myself and get back up to 2500. Just gonna slam pick Zen every game.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VpUhZAacxA

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Get good at Zen, Mccree, and Zarya and you'll fit into any team and also be extremely useful

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Would the game be less fun if hitboxes were limited to character models for every attack in the game??

Yeah, because it would be a complete mess netcode-wise. You need a bit of fuzziness on the hitbox to account for normal latency fluctuations. I am fairly sure no game has ever locked hotboxes to playermodels for this reason.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Would the game be less fun if hitboxes were limited to character models for every attack in the game??

I dunno, it does need a bit of lee way but there should be hard stops when the enemy isnt even on your screen. I know as genji and rein ive nailed people that werent even visible on my screen. Its silly. Especially with the reflect and how damaging that can be.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Get good at Zen, Mccree, and Zarya and you'll fit into any team and also be extremely useful

This is what I did (plus Tracer + Genji) and I'm constantly running into the issue of "nobody wants to be Reinhardt on Payload / Winston on KOTH."

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
So basically just get good at everything and always fill and help the team and believe in them. Got it.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Tokubetsu posted:

So basically just get good at everything and always fill and help the team and believe in them. Got it.
The only thing you can control is how well you play so focus on that.

Also while high end play on any given character may require a lot of practice on that character, really good mechanical skill and game awareness is going to transcend character choice.

Work on your awareness and mechanical skill if you want to rank up.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tokubetsu posted:

you don't have to get good at everything but picking out 2 heroes from each category and becoming proficient with them helps you slot yourself into any team. you can just pick your favorites out of each category, tho obviously some heroes are better than others and if you decide to be that guy that slam picks symmetra or torbjorn, people are gonna whine about it in chat. it's inevitable

like if you decide to become the best you can at rein and zarya, you'll guarantee your team always has at least 1 of the tanks that can actually help keep them alive. getting good at lucio helps a lot since most people avoid him even tho he's probably been consistently the best hero in the game since release and I honestly can't even imagine a scenario where he doesn't help with the game as it is

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

you don't have to get good at everything but picking out 2 heroes from each category and becoming proficient with them helps you slot yourself into any team. you can just pick your favorites out of each category, tho obviously some heroes are better than others and if you decide to be that guy that slam picks symmetra or torbjorn, people are gonna whine about it in chat. it's inevitable

like if you decide to become the best you can at rein and zarya, you'll guarantee your team always has at least 1 of the tanks that can actually help keep them alive. getting good at lucio helps a lot since most people avoid him even tho he's clearly probably been consistently the best hero in the game since release and I honestly can't even imagine a scenario where he doesn't help with the game as it is
Yeah, I need to figure out how to be better at McCree, Ana, Lucio,, and Rein because I'm already comfortable with Zarya, Pharah, and Zen, but sometimes those aren't really the most useful based on either comp, the map, or they've already been picked. I'd been playing a ton of Hog at the start, too, but he fell off for me for some reason, whereas something just clicked with Pharah and she got added to my regular rotation. Rein is probably the biggest outlier in terms of how bad I am with him.

e: Need to be a lot better at picking which healer to add as a second healer if someone already picked one, too.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, I need to figure out how to be better at McCree, Ana, Lucio,, and Rein because I'm already comfortable with Zarya, Pharah, and Zen, but sometimes those aren't really the most useful based on either comp, the map, or they've already been picked. I'd been playing a ton of Hog at the start, too, but he fell off for me for some reason, whereas something just clicked with Pharah and she got added to my regular rotation. Rein is probably the biggest outlier in terms of how bad I am with him.

e: Need to be a lot better at picking which healer to add as a second healer if someone already picked one, too.
This video was being passed around in the tryhard thread and I found it very useful as a starting point for resetting my aim and improving on more than just my most used character:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie5446fSvcY

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

For some reason it mostly feels okay to me when Rein earthshatters a player out of the air and yet feels intuitively wrong when he does it to a flying D.Va bomb.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Kenshin posted:

This video was being passed around in the tryhard thread and I found it very useful as a starting point for resetting my aim and improving on more than just my most used character:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie5446fSvcY

This is pretty cool, thanks for sharing. I feel like this is something I can adapt for console aiming.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah, because it would be a complete mess netcode-wise. You need a bit of fuzziness on the hitbox to account for normal latency fluctuations. I am fairly sure no game has ever locked hotboxes to playermodels for this reason.

Except its a solved problem completely and Valve even has implementation details documented and available to the public. You dont see people bitching about McCree headshots not registering. Blizzard has the netcode down. What really needs work is consistency and documentation about how a lot of the skills work in the game. Showing the hitboxes for the heroes would also help.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the grand finals for the overwatch open went live recently, first round of the first map is over and second round is about to start

https://www.twitch.tv/overwatchopen

it's also on tbs I think if you want to watch on tv

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i decided not to spend my 3000 comp points until i hit 2k, my goal for the season
i love it when goons are all 'just zenyatta your way out of poo poo tier'!
then i team up with a bunch of goons 400 SR higher than me and we mayyyyybe go 50-50 over the course of the night

:mad:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Efexeye posted:

i decided not to spend my 3000 comp points until i hit 2k, my goal for the season
i love it when goons are all 'just zenyatta your way out of poo poo tier'!
then i team up with a bunch of goons 400 SR higher than me and we mayyyyybe go 50-50 over the course of the night

:mad:

50-50 but it was headed for 75-25 when a certain TusenTakk let his taterputer fluff up and explode so we went from "oh poo poo we can win this" to "welp that's match, why does this have to take so long"

We were at 2-2 on Nepal and had figured out a good comp but then TusenTakk's past iniquities regarding computer upgrades caught up with him right there and hosed us. I mean it was some serious dolchstoss poo poo, we got hosed by that shameful failure.

poemdexter posted:

Except its a solved problem completely and Valve even has implementation details documented and available to the public. You dont see people bitching about McCree headshots not registering. Blizzard has the netcode down. What really needs work is consistency and documentation about how a lot of the skills work in the game. Showing the hitboxes for the heroes would also help.

Whoa is this the new tickrate, then?

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 1, 2016

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

To desire information about the hit boxes of skills and character models, must be just a mad newb that got owned.....

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

My dearest thanks to everyone who leaves the Reinhardt slot open for me, as him and Symmetra tend to be my useful roles on a team. It just so happens they also depend the least on quick reflexes...
I also love running into other Reins who aren't aware that his charge and his slash both go through other Reins' shields. Time to learn the hard way, suckers!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Getting good at Mcree is my mission rn

Walking through 76 so I can regain the tiny amount of hits can skill I had in csgo

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
As an old CoD guy I have to kinda force myself to pick McCree over s76 just to learn him.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

verbal enema posted:

Getting good at Mcree is my mission rn

Walking through 76 so I can regain the tiny amount of hits can skill I had in csgo

I just switched from a 30 hz monitor to 144 hz and that, combined w/ the Skyline aim video linked above, have already made such a big difference in my aim.

I also really like McCree for learning. You get punished so badly if you waste a cooldown or position badly that it makes me play a lot more thoughtfully than normal. Especially opposed to my old standby of Roadhog.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I told myself I'd quit playing at noon or my next loss. That was at 9AM and I'm still going. I have reached elo nirvana

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
gently caress yes I got the Junkrat tire 4 kill spray finally. Pre-speed buff too. I thought for sure I'd be working on the pixel one forever, but I've had that happen twice now without even trying.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Has anyone gotten a Lucio POTG?

I have no idea if it's even possible. Boop two people off a cliff? Nope. Save team from two simultaneous ults with sound barrier? Nope. Like what more can I do? Boop the whole enemy team to death?

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

One time I booped four people off of the map right as a Zarya ult ended and still didn't get it :(

Right around release any environment kills seemed to earn POTG. It seems like they are constantly tweaking it, which isn't really a bad thing, but you see trends.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Thoughtless posted:

I have no idea if it's even possible. Boop two people off a cliff? Nope. Save team from two simultaneous ults with sound barrier? Nope. Like what more can I do? Boop the whole enemy team to death?

I've definitely seen them. Usually some combo of boops + sound barrier. Last night had one which was a double boop and then punching someone to death.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Thoughtless posted:

I got one a couple of weeks ago. Boop + regular kill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp1-GPjg7jc

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah I got POTG skins from chests for heroes I have never gotten POTG for

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Are there more DDoS attacks going on or something?

I log onto Overwatch this morning and I've got a >200ms ping

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

Thoughtless posted:

Soundbarrier has never actually triggered a PoTG for me, no matter how much damage I soak with it. Boops are the way to go for getting a PoTG though. Each one is worth like 2-3 kills so if you get a couple at once you're almost guaranteed to get it. I have literally never seen it outside that.

Terbulus
Apr 7, 2009

:toot:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Mine was like that but the exact opposite

Also I placed 1500, and I spent all of my time getting disconnected for not participating in kills and shooting around people with mercy's pistol on hanjo's team.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico

I'm confused. I went 4-5-1 and got placed 2289. It isn't just by wins?

If anyone is on PS4 and wants to play a bunch of quick-play games with me and a buddy, add Wristcrack. Trying to get him closer to level 25.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Rubicon posted:

If anyone is on PS4 and wants to play a bunch of quick-play games with me and a buddy, add Wristcrack. Trying to get him closer to level 25.

Those are his golden gun points, not his competitive rank.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Rubicon posted:

It's based on your season 1 ranking as well. I didn't place season 1, so when I went 5-5 (or whatever, I cant remember exactly) I placed right around 2500.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Those are his competitive points, not his SR. Also, your placement SR is not t just based on wins. It seems to be heavily influenced by your previous season's rank, win/loss, and personal performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I was once on the receiving end of an earthshatter+lucio boop potg

he knocked 3 people off the cliff while they were stunned. it was a hell of a thing