Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kurtofan posted:

I make 500 euros per month from my small job, but I live with my parents so I don't have a lot of expenses. i'd rather limit myself to...80 euros per month? that seems reasonable.

Don't spend 16% of your income on magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

mcmagic posted:

:shepicide: yeah that's probably a good advice

I sold some old cards so i got back 200 euros at least

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Very very little at the minute, but if Arena takes off I can see me becoming a whale pretty quick if it pans out.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

AceClown posted:

Very very little at the minute, but if Arena takes off I can see me becoming a whale pretty quick if it pans out.

Whale is relative. The biggest whale in Hearthstone can get pretty much every card for about the cost of a T2 standard deck (unless you're doing crazy poo poo like getting literally every legendary or going for gold borders). If arena doesn't have a way to "cash out" print sets like MTGO, i can see them being able to offer cheap drafts and I will probably throw in like $20/week.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Mono-Green Tron guy with natural tron on turn 3 in game 3 of the semi-finals and then just a handful of green spells. Literal no plays for 2 turns with the full tron out.

Guess you can't complain too much when the R/G Eldrazi guy smashes your face in.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Found some old cards today forgot I had a playset of land taxes and revised sol rings.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Nephzinho posted:

Whale is relative. The biggest whale in Hearthstone can get pretty much every card for about the cost of a T2 standard deck (unless you're doing crazy poo poo like getting literally every legendary or going for gold borders). If arena doesn't have a way to "cash out" print sets like MTGO, i can see them being able to offer cheap drafts and I will probably throw in like $20/week.

I'd probably pay as much as it cost in boosters to get a couple of T1 decks off the bat. I'm not interested in running a pile of crap against optimized lists until I grind out a decent collection, I'd rather just pay to skip the grind.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

MrBling posted:

Mono-Green Tron guy with natural tron on turn 3 in game 3 of the semi-finals and then just a handful of green spells. Literal no plays for 2 turns with the full tron out.

Guess you can't complain too much when the R/G Eldrazi guy smashes your face in.

Can't blame him you keep that hand and rely on your top 5 cards to have a threat or a way to get one every single time

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mcmagic posted:

He is correct. Spend 100% on it.

You only live once

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Cardboard rectangles $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

BrianBoitano posted:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Buy fewer cardboard rectangles

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ShaneB posted:

no

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

ShaneB posted:

Yeah, there's never been a better time to invest in MTGO.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Yeah, there's never been a better time to invest in MTGO.

Buy JTMS and Distrupting Shoals, they can only go up uP UP!

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Utility $150

spend less on cardboard rectangles

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Buy JTMS and Distrupting Shoals, they can only go up uP UP!

Disrupting Shoal really seems like something cute that will turn out to be way too inconsistent to work.

You can hardcast it a lot earlier than Force though so it’s got that at least.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Wrong Shoal. It's actually time for the return of Shining Shoal in Modern Ghost Dad

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

GoutPatrol posted:

Currently getting its poo poo kicked in by Jeskai. Funnily enough I was playing this Jeskai deck against mill 2 weeks ago and lost badly, but that was due to two games of double archive traps turn 1. No trap resolved in this match.

This Jeskai was piloted by friend of mine, awesome to finally see someone from our player group top8 a GP!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://twitter.com/cedricaphillips/status/964940183023030272

Someone apply and tell me how much it pays so I can laugh.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

https://twitter.com/cedricaphillips/status/964940183023030272

Someone apply and tell me how much it pays so I can laugh.

CAP Media Group...

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Kurtofan posted:

how much money do you spend on this game on average?

Probably 200-300 a month.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Is there anyone who lives in/around Philadelphia that could give me a rundown on the LGSes there? It's likely I'm gonna be visiting family there for a week or so in April and I enjoy playing magic with new people.

Same with both Houston and Baltimore now that I think about it, although I won't be going to either of those cities until much later this year.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

Is there anyone who lives in/around Philadelphia that could give me a rundown on the LGSes there? It's likely I'm gonna be visiting family there for a week or so in April and I enjoy playing magic with new people.

Same with both Houston and Baltimore now that I think about it, although I won't be going to either of those cities until much later this year.

Burn Philly to the ground, play in Jersey.

Stomping Grounds is a bit north of Philly and seemed to have nice people when I was last stuck in the area visiting family.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mcmagic posted:

CAP Media Group...

Cedric A. Phillips?

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007
What's the Magic scene like around Nashville? I'm moving there in a couple weeks and I'm pretty casual and mostly into limited. Any good LGSes to check out? Thanks!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

The Shortest Path posted:

The big store in the city is Redcap's Corner in West Philly. They get pretty good turnout for FNM (Modern and Draft) but it's a bit of a hike from where I live so I don't get there too often. There's also Dark Depths Games in northern South Philly which is smaller but still runs a bunch of different events, it's the one that I go to on most Fridays. Hit me up if/when you come to visit and I'll come say hey.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

Disrupting Shoal really seems like something cute that will turn out to be way too inconsistent to work.

You can hardcast it a lot earlier than Force though so it’s got that at least.

It worked very well in the mono-blue delver deck that also played Psionic Blast. It died with the Probe ban. That was when I picked them up for funsies.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

yourdadsbestfriend posted:

What's the Magic scene like around Nashville? I'm moving there in a couple weeks and I'm pretty casual and mostly into limited. Any good LGSes to check out? Thanks!

don't come to nashville, we already have enough people.

i'm moving into the city soon, but i don't know about the lgs situation there either. i might start playing at gladiator in smyrna. they rotate standard and modern on sundays with modern being a $15 entry fee that wins a box (though i hear they usually end up just splitting it). haven't been there yet, but the people who play at my lgs on saturdays do, apparently.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Went to FNM for the first time in a bit at what was the biggest FNM in the world a in the last 2 years. Went from having 150+ for fnm, just for standard, plus 80+ in all the other formats. We had, 20 across all the formats?

Either all the stores have seen a massive surge in attendance or attendance in generally is way, way down.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

Went to FNM for the first time in a bit at what was the biggest FNM in the world a in the last 2 years. Went from having 150+ for fnm, just for standard, plus 80+ in all the other formats. We had, 20 across all the formats?

Either all the stores have seen a massive surge in attendance or attendance in generally is way, way down.

Didn't Black Panther come out around the same day?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Kurtofan posted:

Maybe 50 bucks a month. I mostly just put in like 30 bucks a month into MTGO to play standard jank and then trade it for more standard jank when the first jank proves too janky

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

The odd chunk here and there on singles, I spent 110$ on Thursday picking up some odds and ends and it was the first time in several months I'd bought cards

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Kurtofan posted:

~$20 every 6 months or so to buy a new pauper deck and $10 a month to play.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

yourdadsbestfriend posted:

I stopped playing magic when I moved here a couple years ago cause of how bad it is. The store in Madison is fine, there’s nothing in Nashville proper unless I’m a serious idiot.

It’s not a good magic city except it’s a great conference city so they do gps and poo poo here!!

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Deck lists from the SCG Standard open. Standard lookin ok right now.

http://sales.starcitygames.com/deck...tion=Show+Decks

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Kurtofan posted:

$0. I draft other people's cubes and play on Cockatrice. A few years ago I spent $10 on a MTGO account and I was so disgusted by the trade interface that I never went back.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

I spend about 20-40 a month doing 2-4 drafts.

Otherwise I help the LGS team playtest with their cards and borrow decks if they want me to play a tournament for them.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

uggy posted:

I stopped playing magic when I moved here a couple years ago cause of how bad it is. The store in Madison is fine, there’s nothing in Nashville proper unless I’m a serious idiot.

It’s not a good magic city except it’s a great conference city so they do gps and poo poo here!!

poo poo. I was going to ask the same question, I just got a job and have to travel there for a week every 3 months or so, thought it might be nice to bring a few decks and a binder if any store ran anything during the week. MTGO it is, then.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Tainen posted:

Deck lists from the SCG Standard open. Standard lookin ok right now.

http://sales.starcitygames.com/deck...tion=Show+Decks

'4-Color Control' is just straight up fuckin weird and I want to play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Sickening posted:

Didn't they also start charging more for FNM? There are tons of other stores to go to so maybe people just went elsewhere.