Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

abraham linksys posted:

folks ive found the single dumbest collectors edition vinyl release of all time https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/685130/endwalker-7-inch-vinyl-single-vinyl

$28 for a 7-inch single of a game theme song on black vinyl. also has the weird punch-out hole as if it's a fuckin 60s 45

lol this is so dumb but hey, go ahead and soak those nerds Square-Enix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

pwn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vxi8zD-xlM

A lot to unpack here. Figuratively and literally. So many sealed records

Some of those are probably doubles.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I feel lucky in that I never got bit by the final fantasy bug. But if they ever start giving a poo poo about Live a Live and slap that on vinyl I may lose resolve.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I'm fixin' to buy tickets for me and my partner to go see Rick Astley, En Vogue, and Salt n Pepa in San Jose next year. New Kids on the Block is actually headlining, but I know next to nothing about them.

Doors open at 6:30 PM. I'd say this makes me feel old, but I've never been one for staying out late (staying UP, sure, but not OUT).

Turbinosamente posted:

I feel lucky in that I never got bit by the final fantasy bug. But if they ever start giving a poo poo about Live a Live and slap that on vinyl I may lose resolve.

I have no real nostalgia for any FF soundtracks....barring one. I would pay a gross amount of money for a FF: Crystal Chronicles OST record. :kiddo: At least there's a CD version.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I think part of the reason for the cost is that it's a Japanese import.

Still, why pay that much, but it's not as crazy as it sounds. Just slightly less.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Still waiting on some stuff from Boomkat, and it's kind of annoying because 1. They claim it was picked up the 15th for delivery, and B. I only ordered the records because my monthly credit card report said I wasn't utilising my credit enough, so I bought some records I thought sounded alright.

(I'm in the UK, and it really should have been next day)

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Cemetry Gator posted:

I think part of the reason for the cost is that it's a Japanese import.

Still, why pay that much, but it's not as crazy as it sounds. Just slightly less.

This is the reason given for why a lot of the city pop re-presses are so pricy, though I don't know if there's any truth to that.

Shout-out to the LitA goon, if you're here...all the city pop releases are hurting my wallet but healing my heart. :homebrew: :love: Keep 'em coming!

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Read After Burning posted:

This is the reason given for why a lot of the city pop re-presses are so pricy, though I don't know if there's any truth to that.

Shout-out to the LitA goon, if you're here...all the city pop releases are hurting my wallet but healing my heart. :homebrew: :love: Keep 'em coming!

I would imagine in LitA/StS's instance it would be mostly licensing that's driving those costs, often it can(*) be cheaper to buy directly through a proxy service depending on the album

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

Some of those are probably doubles.

You must not have watched it because I would have heard you explode from here. Some dude just amassing records and not even opening a majority of them for twenty years.

When I amass records, I drat well open them and play them and post 10s of MBs of pics of them. Highlights from October + November

Finally got this on vinyl after having the CD for the last year, and I’m gonna have to shoot a video to properly show it, but it’s a beautiful little record of a couple friends making music while on holiday in the North Carolina mountains.

A couple more objects from Antiquated Future

Without getting into the whole story just yet, a couple months ago an acquaintance out in NY sent me two Beachniks singles, one of which was a split. Beachniks’ half had two tracks that were on the LP so I never saw a reason to pick it up, but she was happy to throw one my way since she’s :krad: and had some extras. She sent it out late September and after a week it just sorta dropped off the radar, which has happened a shitton since that orange piece of poo poo crippled the post office to try and win an election. I lost a gift I’d mailed my friend back in January. Anyway, after 5 or 6 weeks, we both concluded it was likely lost. But I’d since learned that one of the tracks was different from the LP version, so I still wanted to hear it. A few weeks ago I bought it from Jigsaw Records along with a couple other singles: A Kingfisher Bluez Christmas Single from 2015 of Ballboy’s “Merry Christmas to the Drunks, Merry Christmas to the Lovers,” and another 1981 flexi

In further research I found out that on their Bandcamp, Bleeding Gold (the label which released the Beachniks/smilelove split) had the songs streaming, which is great since I wanted it digitally too... but you can’t just buy digital versions on their Bandcamp, the downloads only come with physical media purchase. There was one copy left. A no-brainer, I’ll give it to a friend for Christmas. I also got a couple other items: A CD-r EP, and a double 10” LP. It arrived Monday, and he threw in a bonus CD, and a 12”!

I’ve not listened to the Tape Waves CD yet. The freebie LP by Tristan is a solid fuckin album. French pop, really nice, what a nice bonus.

Here’s another shot of the Notes 2x10”. This edition has a screenprint with it.

But I haven’t played it yet because he must have been storing it on a beach because there’s grit all over inside. In the jacket and sleeves. I don’t want to risk scuffing it, so I think I should get a can of compressed air? Anyone dealt with grit-covered records before?

And then Tuesday, this gross package shows up

Nearly two months later, motherfucker. Looks like someone used it as a placemat (I think it’s actually rust, so maybe it was just sitting under a dripping rusted shelf or something??)

Thankfully she packed it well and the contents did indeed arrive safely.

So now I’ve two to give away. Let’s wind this shitshow down with a couple Oingos Boingo, one of which may technically be from September but who’s counting?

And finally this very chill record from Third Man.

Like extremely chill. Do not play this record while operating heavy machinery

That’s the end! Someone else post now!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I did watch it and I reacted the way I usually do to that guy's videos, with a silent jerkoff motion. For as much money's worth of poo poo there is there it's a really boring collection.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vxi8zD-xlM

A lot to unpack here. Figuratively and literally. So many sealed records

Godamn. That is crazy. Paid $90k so that collection probably had over $200k sunk into it and that person just bought records with no intention of ever listening to them?

And. Leaving your records sealed in shrink can lead to serious warping so have fun with any of those 90's records that are still sealed.

So, a lot of questions about beginner stereo setups in this thread and Techmoan just came out with a video on an affordable (if you look on ebay. not retail) little speaker setup that looks perfect for someone trying to get into the hobby on a budget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtIrTDJpWuk

Edit:

CPL593H posted:

I did watch it and I reacted the way I usually do to that guy's videos, with a silent jerkoff motion. For as much money's worth of poo poo there is there it's a really boring collection.

Yeah. I can't stand most of that guy's videos but this one was kind of fascinating. Just a huge "WHY?". Interesting that he doesn't like dealing with boxsets. Probably the higher price makes them slow sellers. Kind of like when I was selling my comic collection. The shop wasn't really interested in my Artist Editions because they don't move.

Another Edit:

Lol at the three main reasons to sell. Money. Death. Wife.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 24, 2021

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I like his videos. I gotta wonder though what kind of money is he really making to afford these initial investments into these huge collections.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Lotta Black Friday vinyl deals going on right now, and let me tell you, I have found the absolute biggest bargain you will ever find

Run DMC: 12on12

It's a Run DMC double LP. That doesn't actually have any Run DMC on it. Available for the low, low price of $210.

But wait, there's more! It also comes with a beanie! And if you're a Vinyl Me, Please member, you get an additional savings of $10

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm thinking 90K is what he says the collection is worth rather than what he paid. And yes, dealers tend to avoid boxsets for exactly the reason you guessed. I've had a couple of them tell me that. If I had to guess what the deal is with the original owner he's probably one of those rich weirdos who just impulse buys all kinds of expensive poo poo regardless of if they really want or will ever use it. When Michael Jackson died they sold off his estate and it was all kinds of random poo poo like pinball machines, life sized Batman statues, and store displays for Swiss Army knives and poo poo. Apparently what he would do is if he was out in public sometimes he'd just see something and go "I want that." and then offer someone enough money for it where they wouldn't refuse. And then it just sat in storage for years and years.

dorium posted:

I like his videos. I gotta wonder though what kind of money is he really making to afford these initial investments into these huge collections.

Having watched his videos I'm guessing he's not rich because he's a record dealer, he's a record dealer because he's rich. From the kind of poo poo this guy has there's no way he doesn't have gently caress You money.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

pwn posted:

And finally this very chill record from Third Man.

Like extremely chill. Do not play this record while operating heavy machinery

I don't have anything to add except that I really dig the front cover artist Brian Blomerth's work. He just released a book (or I tihnk it releases shortly) called Mycelium Wassonii and it's some of the most striking art I've seen in a long time.

https://www.brianblomerth.com

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
This news about boxsets saddens me.

What am I going to do with my Weird Al set that was supposed to be my retirement investment?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

pwn posted:

When I amass records, I drat well open them and play them and post 10s of MBs of pics of them.

:yeah:

sporklift posted:

And. Leaving your records sealed in shrink can lead to serious warping so have fun with any of those 90's records that are still sealed.

This doesn't apply to me, but is still good to know (namely if I feel like buying sealed copies of old stuff).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

What am I going to do with my Weird Al set that was supposed to be my retirement investment?

Sell it to a rich hoarder.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ballz posted:

Lotta Black Friday vinyl deals going on right now, and let me tell you, I have found the absolute biggest bargain you will ever find

Run DMC: 12on12

It's a Run DMC double LP. That doesn't actually have any Run DMC on it. Available for the low, low price of $210.

But wait, there's more! It also comes with a beanie! And if you're a Vinyl Me, Please member, you get an additional savings of $10

That doesn’t even have interesting or hard to find songs on it. Walk this way and Good Times? The art book better be the focus.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

dorium posted:

He seems like a pretty successful record store owner and makes some youtube money. Perhaps our resident record store owner can shed some light but as with most businesses you have some money in the bank for this stuff, and then there is the company credit card for really big purchases. I've never had a record or comic store blink when cutting me a check for a few hundred on the spot and back in the day they would just hand me cash.

BigFactory posted:

That doesn’t even have interesting or hard to find songs on it. Walk this way and Good Times? The art book better be the focus.

By bespoke cover I wonder if that means each one is hand painted or screened? Cause otherwise, gently caress, that is a really expensive basic rear end compilation. But it is VMP so you will probably get four copies that only contain doubles of the first album with side A printed on both sides.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Selling your stuff to a record store is generally not the way to profit from your records anyway. I usually consider it a win if I break even in store credit.

CPL593H posted:

Sell it to a rich hoarder.

This is how you profit from your record collection.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I'm excited about this set of cassettes and the course of study they outline:

I'm going to be a Pastor of Muppets.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

petit choux posted:

:vince:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

sporklift posted:

Selling your stuff to a record store is generally not the way to profit from your records anyway. I usually consider it a win if I break even in store credit.

Or if I have enough credit to get one of the big ticket wall items. I remember going to a shop at like 11am, seeing a first pressing of Death - Scream Bloody Gore and running back home and coming back at 1pm with an entire trader joe's bad of records to trade for it. This has happened a few times.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

This is how you profit from your record collection.

I'll never sell my records, someone is just going to find my shrived desiccated corpse in the one narrow aisle that leaves movement between the stacks. Like an incredibly sad King Tut.

petit choux posted:

It's been done.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 25, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

I'll never sell my records, someone is just going to find my shrived desiccated corpse in the one narrow aisle that leaves movement between the stacks. Like an incredibly sad King Tut.

It's been done.

Those are not muppets.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

petit choux posted:

Those are not muppets.

Neither are the ones on the covers of those tapes.

Also, if you've ever seen what puppetry was like pre-Jim Henson or just non-Muppet stuff of the same era man oh man does it really drive home how good he was at what he did.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BY THE WAY.

All music on Alternative Tentacles is 40% off from the 25th through the 29th.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

Neither are the ones on the covers of those tapes.
Also, if you've ever seen what puppetry was like pre-Jim Henson or just non-Muppet stuff of the same era man oh man does it really drive home how good he was at what he did.

For anybody that doesn't remember, the very first year of SNL Henson had a little segment every ep, it was pretty great. Typically enough, the unfunny shits that have always been the majority of SNL actors hated Henson's segment pretty much universally and it got dropped after one season.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

petit choux posted:

For anybody that doesn't remember, the very first year of SNL Henson had a little segment every ep, it was pretty great. Typically enough, the unfunny shits that have always been the majority of SNL actors hated Henson's segment pretty much universally and it got dropped after one season.

I'll never understand how SNL is held in such high regard. At it's best it was hit or miss but it's been completely dismal longer than it was even slightly good. The only thing worth remembering over the years is the music segments.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

I'll never understand how SNL is held in such high regard. At it's best it was hit or miss but it's been completely dismal longer than it was even slightly good. The only thing worth remembering over the years is the music segments.

Phil Hartman is worth remembering. He was very funny on SNL.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

Growing up in the sticks it was a fleeting glimpse of modernity and adult-ish humor.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Phil Hartman is worth remembering. He was very funny on SNL.

I struggle to remember anything he did on SNL but he was great in movies and other shows. This Zappa performance was really cool even though I can't find the clip in any resolution that doesn't look like someone smeared Vaseline on the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdtGo2Ib9oI

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Regarding SNL, I actually think most of the current cast is pretty drat funny (Aidy! Bowen! Cecily! Melissa V! Kenan, although he's leaving!)...I just don't think the material they're working with is great.

CPL593H posted:

:yeah:

In all seriousness, I'm kind of wondering how I should handle my record collection in my will. Like, I'm still hella young so it's not an immediate concern, but....I mean, I'm not gonna have kids, so I don't really have anybody to give 'em to. The idea of them just being loaded up in a box and dropped off at the Goodwill pains me, but having my partner (or whoever else handles my dead person poo poo) go through the drama of selling individual records on Discogs is also kinda assy.

Maybe a country music museum would want my country/bluegrass stuff....pretty sure there's a vaporwave museum too. :P

Maybe my shelves will topple over, killing me in a wave of falling records. For fear of disturbing my body, everything will be left in place and the room will become an art piece/tourist attraction and shrine to my hubris.

ANYWAY! Two more down...

(This one's a promo copy, it seems!)

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

CPL593H posted:

People have been saying this since the very second season. Over 40 years the show has had good seasons and bad seasons. Usually the show has one or two sketches worth checking out each week, and the rest aren't worth watching at all. I actually usually fast forward through the musical segments, I've always found that the show has a poo poo sound engineer and even great live acts almost always sound terrible on SNL.

It's held in such high regard because it showcases some of the best comedic talent working in the business. And it's able to do so because it's been held in such high regard for so long. It's literally the lifelong dream of so many people working in comedy to be on the show.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

95 percent of my records are from thrift stores, so I don't often buy any of my favorite albums (especially when they never get repressed), but my girlfriend surprised me with this for my birthday :keke:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I went to Savers today.

Unfortunately she's still alive.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 25, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not too happy with Italians Do It Better at the moment, I'm sad to say. Along with some records, I ordered a poster set from them, and they must have forgot to include it. Plenty of other goodies as usual, which made me feel a bit weird to write in and complain, but, y'know, :10bux:. Anyway they wrote back saying they'd send out a replacement and give me a tracking number and... that was four weeks ago and they've gone radio silent, not even reacting to a followup mail. Hope they don't end up making me get a refund.

e: things are looking up and my stuff is on its way! Since way before my latest e-mail to them, too, they just forgot to send me the tracking number.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 3, 2021

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.

CPL593H posted:

I went to Savers today.

Unfortunately she's still alive.

I had to look this up. It's safe to say her legacy will paint her as being on the wrong side of history.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

sporklift posted:

rofl i have a record from 96 that's sealed and also inside a some pliable plastic sleeve. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

HK5000 posted:

I had to look this up. It's safe to say her legacy will paint her as being on the wrong side of history.

Ha, funny coincidence. I'm reading A Queer History of the US, and I just got to the 1970s...she's got a pretty big mention. Absolute scum.

quote:

In 2021, Bryant's granddaughter, Sarah Green, came out publicly by announcing her pending marriage to a woman, although she was having difficulty deciding whether she should invite her grandmother to the ceremony.
https://www.advocate.com/people/2021/7/27/another-pie-face-anita-bryant-her-granddaughter-gay
:rock:

quote:

By this time, gay activists ensured that the boycott on Florida orange juice had become more prominent and it was supported by many celebrities, including Paul Williams, Vincent Price (he joked in a television interview that Oscar Wilde's A Woman of No Importance referred to her), and Jane Fonda."
Holy poo poo, I always love being reminded of fuckin' cool Vincent Price was.