Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

you should have one cat, and one pro cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

rear end Catchcum posted:

The air doesn't make sense now since laptops are so thin. Two lines for all:

MacBook and MacBook Pro
iPad (reg and mini) iPad Pro (Reg and mini)
iPhone and +

Daaaaaats it

EDIT - In case it's not clear, I'm agreeing. Keep the lines ruthlessly simple. Avoid the 90s proliferation.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mandals fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 4, 2016

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

People are discussing Mac Hardware in the Mac Hardware thread, ye gads. It doesn't need to be a fanboy circlejerk. It's 10x more interesting to lurk than when it is sleeve-chat or 'my experience at the Fruit Stand'-chat

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Have you tried: phone fruit

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

well why not posted:

you should have one cat, and one pro cat

i do, i have two cats. one can jump on the windowsill underneath the curtains to chill, the other one tries to jump through the curtain and bonks her stupid head and runs away. guess which one is the new rMBP?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The air doesn't make sense now since laptops are so thin. Two lines for all:

MacBook and MacBook Pro
iPad (reg and mini) iPad Pro (Reg and mini)
iPhone and +

Daaaaaats it
But people want a Fatbook

It's really a 2.5 line thing.

MB, MBP 13" & MBP 15"
iPad reg and mini, iPad Pro
SE, iPhone and iPhone Plus
iMac, riMac 21" &riMAC 27"

also apple tv, mac mini and mac "pro"

Pivo posted:

i do, i have two cats. one can jump on the windowsill underneath the curtains to chill, the other one tries to jump through the curtain and bonks her stupid head and runs away. guess which one is the new rMBP?
The one that's in shape. Note the fat chill one

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Cingulate posted:

You call it .5lb, I call it 25%.
Going from 3.5lb to 3lb is shaving off 14%, so I hope your mega-commute job doesn't require much math

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Fuckin' thinkpads weight more than a macbook pro and it costs NASA like $700 per pound to fire poo poo into space.

edit: NASA should just use retina macbooks and save thousands per launch.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Cingulate posted:

But people want a Fatbook

I don't really want it to be fat, I'm not asking for optical drives or anything and I'm begrudgingly ok with no user-serviceable RAM. But I'd be totally OK if my laptop is never thinner or lighter than my 2013 15" rMBP, especially if that means I stand to gain real battery life improvements as components get less and less power hungry, and battery tech gets (slightly) better.

Maybe my perspective is skewed because I carried around this for 4 years of college, along with 20lb of textbooks in a backpack:

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I love that you think the Mac mini and Mac Pro still exist in any other form but inventory.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Linguica posted:

Going from 3.5lb to 3lb is shaving off 14%, so I hope your mega-commute job doesn't require much math
The mistake "0.5 is 25% of 2" pretty clearly illustrates how much knowledge and critical thought Cingulate has at his disposal.

In case anyone missed it, "0.5" above is in pounds, "2" is kilograms.

Also, his "I travel" argument is dumb. I literally travel every week (as in, fly to some random city and run around like a chicken with its head cut off) and I concur with what many other people have said - my 2015 rMBP is one of the lightest things I carry, and it's more than light enough.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I love that you think the Mac mini and Mac Pro still exist in any other form but inventory.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tim Cook probably uses an iPad Pro at his desk

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Most backpacks sturdy and waterproof enough to carry something as precious as a laptop probably weigh a bit, too.

I say this completely unironically: cingulate harden up and injure your back carrying that laptop

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Linguica posted:

Thankfully I have an i5 to do math for me!

MrChupon posted:

I don't really want it to be fat, I'm not asking for optical drives or anything and I'm begrudgingly ok with no user-serviceable RAM. But I'd be totally OK if my laptop is never thinner or lighter than my 2013 15" rMBP, especially if that means I stand to gain real battery life improvements a
I see where you're going for, and in one sense, I might even agree with you. If I had the choice between the MBP we got, and an MBP with last year's form factor but a quad core with 15 hours of battery life (in the 13"), I'm not sure where I'd go.
On the other hand, that kind of thinking stood in the way of making the MBPs as small as they are today. If in 10 years, Apple gets another significant reduction in footprint done, making current computers look like the Air makes your old monster look, that WILL be a noticeable difference. Fling your computer around like an iPad, like a sheet of paper - if you had that, you wouldn't want to give it up.

well why not posted:

Most backpacks sturdy and waterproof enough to carry something as precious as a laptop probably weigh a bit, too.

I say this completely unironically: cingulate harden up and injure your back carrying that laptop
I think I'll get the current gen Pro instead. Enough battery, enough compute power, and lighter!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I cried because I had a 3lb MacBook until I met someone who had a Dell Latitude.

A bunch of guys at work got 13 inch rMBP's for development work and you'd think they had just lost their ball and chains the way they carry the new laptops around.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

well why not posted:

My take: backpacks are better for carrying heavy things in comfort. Messenger bags are (typically) better at comfortably providing access to those things.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mandals posted:

My take: backpacks are better for carrying heavy things in comfort. Messenger bags are (typically) better at comfortably providing access to those things.
Yup. I love messenger bags, but not gonna stick a Pro in there :(

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Doesn't stay connected. Constantly dropping devices.

Just trying this now with my 12" rMB and nothing weird yet. The one hosed up thing is that the Apple USB-C cable that you'd use with the charger doesn't work with the dock. You need to use the included cable...

USB-C is a loving mess.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Apple cutting prices on USB-C, Thunderbolt 3 accessories until end of the year

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Pretty wide definition of accessories, too. Over $300 off that 5k monitor -- not bad.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Looks like the dongle hatred lobby has come through..

Apple USB-C to USB adapter: Before: $19.99 Now: $9

Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport adapter: Before: $79 Now: $49

Apple USB-C to Lightning cable (1 m): Before $29 Now: $19

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Krispy Kareem posted:

I cried because I had a 3lb MacBook until I met someone who had a Dell Latitude.

A bunch of guys at work got 13 inch rMBP's for development work and you'd think they had just lost their ball and chains the way they carry the new laptops around.

This is a really funny thing to hear since I just bought a Latitude E7270, which is a 15W Skylake model like the new 13" MBP, and it weighs 2.8 pounds. Might be that they had a much older model?

Personally I think Apple sacrifices too much to make the drat things so thin. My Latitude is definitely a bit thicker than my Haswell 13" MBP, but in exchange I can easily pop the bottom off and swap out just about any component in the system with 5 minutes and a Phillips screwdriver. Can't be too much of a weight tradeoff there considering what it is.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 4, 2016

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Binary Badger posted:

Looks like the dongle hatred lobby has come through..

Apple USB-C to USB adapter: Before: $19.99 Now: $9

Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport adapter: Before: $79 Now: $49

Apple USB-C to Lightning cable (1 m): Before $29 Now: $19

oops we marked up our dongles too high.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
The Apple apologists on the 9to5 mac articles about the thunderbolt debacle are primo entertainment.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Anyone see this USB-C hub popup on The Verge? http://www.bourgedesign.com/

Looks promising

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

krooj posted:

Anyone see this USB-C hub popup on The Verge? http://www.bourgedesign.com/

Looks promising

In my opinion, having a literal loving squid of cables on my desk would be the least desirable thing. There is no way to manage those cables splaying out in every direction aside from "lol guess these go wherever they want."

That said, its cool looking, definitely wins on style points, and if you're only ever plugging one thing in at time, it can't be too bad to manage.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

quote:

We recognize that many users, especially pros, rely on legacy connectors to get work done
Pretty sure Apple don't know what that term means.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

So My 2015 MBP is having weird wi-fi issues. If I am on the forums, I will just randomly not be able to go to the next page. It's like the Wi-fi stopped working. If I turn it on and off, I can connect again, but it is annoying. Happens like once every 30 min. Anything I should be checking? This is my first Mac, so I am less good at problems saving then I used to be.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Eletriarnation posted:

This is a really funny thing to hear since I just bought a Latitude E7270, which is a 15W Skylake model like the new 13" MBP, and it weighs 2.8 pounds. Might be that they had a much older model?

Personally I think Apple sacrifices too much to make the drat things so thin. My Latitude is definitely a bit thicker than my Haswell 13" MBP, but in exchange I can easily pop the bottom off and swap out just about any component in the system with 5 minutes and a Phillips screwdriver. Can't be too much of a weight tradeoff there considering what it is.

I don't know the whole Dell lineup, but Lattitudes have been sold forever and for most of that time they've been square bricks. The i5 model I use is probably 5 pounds.

It's not even the weight that's a problem. It's the creaky plastic and substandard Windows implementation of sleep mode that means everyone carries their work laptops half open. No one carries MBP's that way.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Snowmankilla posted:

So My 2015 MBP is having weird wi-fi issues. If I am on the forums, I will just randomly not be able to go to the next page. It's like the Wi-fi stopped working. If I turn it on and off, I can connect again, but it is annoying. Happens like once every 30 min. Anything I should be checking? This is my first Mac, so I am less good at problems saving then I used to be.

Run a "ping 8.8.8.8" and see what the response times look like

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Yeah despite that apparent weight disadvantage, the plastic in a dell is going to weigh less than aluminum.

I have an old style 13" RMBP and while it's a perfectly fine size I will say it is amazing to pick up a 12" MacBook and feel how thin and light it is. Makes the MBP feel like a brick, and I imagine the new revision will also feel nice on the move. I also have a 15" for work and that's definitely of a weight where I wouldn't mind lighter.

At the same time it's a valid point that if you wanted a desktop replacement you're not going to care.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Mac Hardware megathread - the next macbook pro will be awesome we promise

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Bob Morales posted:

Run a "ping 8.8.8.8" and see what the response times look like

Allright.

Here is a set of them:
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=0 ttl=43 time=33.771 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=1 ttl=43 time=36.300 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=2 ttl=43 time=34.710 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=3 ttl=43 time=36.338 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=4 ttl=43 time=37.037 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=5 ttl=43 time=35.662 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=6 ttl=43 time=35.548 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=7 ttl=43 time=40.018 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=8 ttl=43 time=56.391 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=9 ttl=43 time=35.579 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=10 ttl=43 time=37.525 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=11 ttl=43 time=37.124 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=12 ttl=43 time=35.943 ms

Don't know what any of that means

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Snowmankilla posted:

did you update to sierra from el capitan? may need to clear out your wifi settings.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Strong Sauce posted:

did you update to sierra from el capitan? may need to clear out your wifi settings.

Yes I did. And I also do not know how to do that. Also going from 20 years of PC to Mac has me feeling dumb as poo poo.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Went to the Fruit Stand in Grand Central just a few hours ago, grabbed the two cheapest dongles that I know I'd eventually use, went to pay for it, and was immediately cockblocked by the Apple person acting as cashier.

Told her the USB-C to USB cable was only $9 instead of $19. She didn't believe me, so I brought up the Apple website on a new 13-inch MacBook Pro (seems they don't have any new 15-inch rMBPs, just the two-port USB-C 13-inchers.) She was dumbfounded and said she had to check with her manager. Sure enough her manager confirmed the prices, and then the cable scanned in at a measly $9.00.

Evidently they had only learned about it two hours ago, not long enough to call a meeting and tell everybody about the new prices. They congratulated me on being the first nimrod customer to alert them to the new pricing policy on some of the accessories.

So yay, paid only $41 for a pair of cables that was $70 yesterday (got the USB-C to USB and the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter.)

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Snowmankilla posted:

Yes I did. And I also do not know how to do that. Also going from 20 years of PC to Mac has me feeling dumb as poo poo.

A bit long of a guide to "clear out" the wifi. I heard this was a common issue but my laptop (late 2013) had no issues updating to Sierra. http://osxdaily.com/2016/09/22/fix-wi-fi-problems-macos-sierra/

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Oh yeah, quick trip report on the new 13-inch rMBP.. they only had the entry model (8 GB) but it was snappier than the Late 2015 version. Didn't give a poo poo about the keys. Screen is incredibly sharp and on some websites 'felt' likee it was sharper. Booting to the desktop fairly quick. In general practice felt like a snappier, brighter rMBP than the 2015s which they were easily compared to because they still had more of those on demo than the new models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Strong Sauce posted:

A bit long of a guide to "clear out" the wifi. I heard this was a common issue but my laptop (late 2013) had no issues updating to Sierra. http://osxdaily.com/2016/09/22/fix-wi-fi-problems-macos-sierra/

quote:

Avoid 5 GHz G and B networks if possible, aim to join a 2.4 GHz network N if one is available for faster speeds
:negative: