Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
:catstare:

So... what does Trickster Mode do?

In the flashes, in basically breaks the world and lets you go where ever.

But what will it do in the story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

IUG posted:

EDIT: Here you go, since someone asked for it, and my Print Screen button works.

That clown has seen so many motherfuckin' miracles go down.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

SatansBestBuddy posted:

We'll just have to wait and see.
Also, Tumblr is having a whole shitfest over Tricksters being canon, and for some reason the fact that Jane is now canonically white.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Holy poo poo. What is that dance. What is that music? :stare:

Also Trickster Jane has skin tones. Someone on Tumblr's going to be mad about that.

Nate RFB posted:

So, what will the "B" one be?

ApoorDogsbody was convinced there would be a [S]Break where the Makeout Meteor would hit the Frog Temple in the veil containing GCAT and send it into a Skaian Portal (like a "break" in pool) as well as Dirk breaking Lil Hal. Obviously the second never happened and Hal got turned into (the best) sprite.

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Trickster Lord English should be Señor Español, with a Dia de los Muertos sugar skull for a head (if any fan artists reading this feel so inspired...)

Don Español :eng101:

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Somehow Gamzee has become a lot more likable ever since getting mowed down by an AKM.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It will cheer Jane up a little and do absolutely nothing else. Nothing whatsoever.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Giga-swerve; Trickster Mode appears to the outside world as a giant green skeleton and Jane is now possessed by the spirit-shard of Caliborn.

Uncle Guido
Oct 2, 2008

quote:

It's uROBuROS. Come on Jake, use your head. Haven't you ever heard of the mythical snake biting its own tale?

Innocent authorial homophone mistake or portent?

My money's on portent.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I... what?:stonk:

Jegus Christ, that flash is horrifying. This can't be good, please snap out of it Jane. :(

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Jane's got some sick moves there... :stare:

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Bobulus posted:

So, uh, you know how Treestuck is either really good or really bad at predicting Homestuck?

http://treestuck.tumblr.com/post/38520708450

She thought it would be a cool idea if trickster mode was this weird undocumented feature of Sburb that are like evil shadows. And she said this two weeks ago.

This made me realize how absolutely loving bewildering this update must be for people who never learned about the original Trickster Mode.

Not that it isn't absolutely loving bewildering for those of us who knew, it's just for different reasons.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Uncle Guido posted:

Innocent authorial homophone mistake or portent?

My money's on portent.

Oh poo poo.

Hmm. Probably means "biting" in the contemporary colloquial sense of imitating another's distinctive elements, viz. "to bite one's style." So a story ripping itself off. Sounds like Homestuck, all right.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Knowing that Trickster Mode already exists honestly isn't really making this any less bewildering.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~
Here's the picture from her tumblr for those who haven't seen it:

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

voting third party posted:

Here's the picture from her tumblr for those who haven't seen it:

Now I'm not sure whether I want this Trickster madness to stop with Jane or spread to the other kids as well.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
That Trickster Dirk is terrifying

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

JT Jag posted:

That Trickster Dirk is terrifying

Is it the Lil Cal color scheme, or the fact that he's smiling?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Yes

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

YggiDee posted:

Knowing that Trickster Mode already exists honestly isn't really making this any less bewildering.

I'm unfamiliar with the sort of thing I'm seeing.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 9, 2013

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

The orange soda stuck to his head is a contributing factor too.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Desfore posted:

Now I'm not sure whether I want this Trickster madness to stop with Jane or spread to the other kids as well.

This definitely needs to be canon. Just for the Beta kids' reactions when they arrive.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pyradox posted:

This definitely needs to be canon. Just for the Beta kids' reactions when they arrive.

You know that Abe Simpson gif where he walks into the bordello

The kids' reactions will basically be that

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

You know that Abe Simpson gif where he walks into the bordello

The kids' reactions will basically be that
"hey sexy momma"

"gently caress everyone back on the meteor"

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Desfore posted:

It will spread like a disease across the multiverse, bleeding into each and every dream bubble until every character is consumed with joy. There is no other possible option. None shall be saved.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Comparison with Jade's weird Horrorterror dream. Just in case this matters:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Yahoo Movies has an article about Homestuck.

Homestuck the Movie Comedy: Inevitable Unless It's Not so Get on Board Unless You Shouldn't posted:

If you remain unaware of Homestuck as an internet phenomenon, then you either don't kids or aren't aware of this here thing called the internets. As George W. Bush liked to refer (and probably still refer) to it. Homestuck is one day going to become a movie of some sort. Comedy is hard. Death is easy. That makes Homestuck a juggler.

Those balls or knives or eggs or bowling pins or chainsaws that Homestuck juggles are known in the literary world as themes. Or, perhaps tropes. Hard to say in this postmodern world where themes and tropes sinuously intertwine in a way that confuses people nearly as much as irony and coincidence.

Theme or trope? You decide. A cursory examination of what the Homestuck webcomic offers and what a Homestuck movie would deliver includes concepts touching upon literature of the classic Gods that you may know better as mythology, video games which means everyone under the age of 60 can relate at the very least and the convergence of television and internet entertainment. In a way, there is something about Homestuck that almost seems organically disinclined to take on the medium of cinema. But don't let that stop you, Jack!

Internet culture. Is that one of those things like compassion conservative and military intelligence? Not to judge from the manner in which Homestuck attacks a world where "trolling" is most definitely not about gruff billy goats and to Tumblr for ya has nothing to do with boys name George. Webcomics are not necessarily all about comedy as the name might suggest, but enough comedy exists on the almost daily updated Homestuck to create as much laughter among high school students as used to be stimulated by the 1970s "Saturday Night Live" and primetime sitcoms combined.

The world those of us over 40 used to know as reality is gone; Homestuck is the new face of John Belushi and Robin Williams. Prettier, too. Get ready because if you don't know about it because you still get your laughs above the waistline, sunshine, you soon will.

Unless you don't. Because, after all, Homestuck has been compared to James Joyce more often than Charles Schulz. So who knows? But it could become a movie. Unless it can't.

This is my best attempt at translating this jumble:

Paragraph 1: Homestuck is an internet comic that is entertaining.
Paragraph 2: It uses a lot of pop culture and internet culture references in a way that is self referential and self aware.
Paragraph 3: The aspects of pop culture it covers are familiar with at least two to three generations of people.
Paragraph 4: People might not think the internet does not have a legitimate form of culture. Maybe so, but that complaint can apply to a lot of pop culture.
Paragraph 5: If you can't accept or grasp that you're not the target audience.
Paragraph 6: Even if you are the target audience this is not an easy comic to get into.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 9, 2013

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

A student posted:

Yahoo Movies has an article about Homestuck.

This is my best attempt at translating this jumble:

Paragraph 1: Homestuck is an internet comic that is entertaining.
Paragraph 2: It uses a lot of pop culture and internet culture references in a way that is self referential and self aware.
Paragraph 3: The aspects of pop culture it covers are familiar with at least two to three generations of people.
Paragraph 4: People might not think pop culture and the internet are legitimateforms of culture. Maybe not, but that complaint can apply to a lot of pop clture.
Paragraph 5: If you can't accept or grasp that you're not the target audience.
Paragraph 6: Even if you are the target audience this is not an easy comic to get into.

It was already posted, but right before the update.

My hypothesis is that Hussie decided that he couldn't let an article about Homestuck be more confusing and haunting than Homestuck has ever been, so he created this new update.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Oops, sorry about that.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Renaissance Robot posted:

In case anyone thought the NES theory just got debunked:

I wonder if the JuJu will mirror AURYN in being able to grant wishes at the cost of memories?

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Looking back on previous strips now, this means that on this page http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=007016 Calliope is just looking at a big green glowing lollipop... Kinda anticlimactic.

Edit: Also, I just realized Jane's not that fat. Either Trickster mode slims you up, or Caliborn's just a huge rear end in a top hat.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 9, 2013

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Plus, Caliborn has a skull for a face. Almost any human must seem pretty chunky to him really.

Calliope posted:

You gaze upon your dear, sweet, precious, sweet, sweet JUJU.

Hussie you motherfucker

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Desfore posted:

Looking back on previous strips now, this means that on this page http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=007016 Calliope is just looking at a big green glowing lollipop... Kinda anticlimactic.

Edit: Also, I just realized Jane's not that fat in this update. Either Trickster mode slims you up, or Caliborn's just a huge rear end in a top hat.

"You gaze upon your dear, sweet, precious, sweet, sweet JUJU."

Guess we know why it's sweet now. :laugh:

EFB. :argh:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
No lie, this is the first time I've seriously considered giving up on Homestuck.

This is just one layer of winking, meta, mood-whiplash anticlimax bullshit too far for me to simply power through. Not to mention it bloats Act 6 even further and does anyone at all really want that besides the completely deranged?

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

No lie, this is the first time I've seriously considered giving up on Homestuck.

This is just one layer of winking, meta, mood-whiplash anticlimax bullshit too far for me to simply power through. Not to mention it bloats Act 6 even further and does anyone at all really want that besides the completely deranged?

I'm gonna give Hussie benefit of the doubt and see where he's going with this. I mean, for all we know right now the next update could have this just be a huge joke and have the comic continue like this never happened. But I agree, this came out of nowhere and is completely ridiculous.

Scale Model Giant
Jan 19, 2009

Bobulus posted:

Comparison with Jade's weird Horrorterror dream. Just in case this matters:

Ok, that clinches it for me. This is the work of the Horrorterrors. This IS Jane's grimdark.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Oxxidation posted:

I am not saying this might not be a valid complaint in the future, and winking meta bullshit I understand, though anticlimax I disagree with, but how do you know it's going to bloat Act 6 "even further" considering it just happened, probably has been planned to happen for quite some time, and its ramifications have yet to be seen?? Are you anticipating some sort of Trickster Mode sub-act or something?

e: Never mind, I forgot you don't like Jane/the B2 kids in general, I can see where your anxieties might lie.
e2: And you reminded me in your post before my edit!!! Never fast enough.

Only a slightly different note, after the update dropped I did stop and think "Homestuck is ending this year, 2013. It is ending this year and the characters dressing up as candy is apparently somehow going to play a part in that."

H.P. Shivcraft fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 9, 2013

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

If this puts you off I'm amazed you made it through the saga of Everyone Wants to gently caress Jake English.

Like I'm not even being sarcastic. This at least has :psyduck:-appeal, whereas the early relationship drama was just... man who gives a drat.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

I am not saying this might not be a valid complaint in the future, and winking meta bullshit I understand, though anticlimax I disagree with, but how do you know it's going to bloat Act 6 "even further" considering it just happened, probably has been planned to happen for quite some time, and its ramifications have yet to be seen?? Are you anticipating some sort of Trickster Mode sub-act or something?

Only a slightly different note, after the update dropped I did stop and think "Homestuck is ending this year, 2013. It is ending this year and the characters dressing up as candy is apparently somehow going to play a part in that."

That's what's killing me about this. I don't want to deal with the Alpha Session anymore! This Trickster Mode crap is just going to drag it out even further and take even more time from the characters I (and basically everyone else) actually cares about.

It's telling that the Alpha Kids only became more tolerable when Hussie clued in to how lovely they were and dedicated an entire sub-act to hammering that home, but that doesn't mean I want to be stuck with them any longer than necessary.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I can't believe you made it through the Mindfang Diaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I skated through the Mindfang diaries and Jakeapalooza was basically where my honeymoon with Homestuck ended. That whole saga is the first time the story got really, really tedious for me.

It's also characteristic of the Alpha Session in general, which I why I want it to just end as soon as possible.