Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Its a 3800. Coolant is nearly optional. Only slightly less durable than a slant-six.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMchubs
Mar 27, 2010
Hi folksits looking like I can dedicate this whole weekend to finding a used car. While that might not be all the time I need to make a decision, I want to go into it prepared.

I inherited my grandmothers 99 Corolla and today its at 127,640 miles. While Im sure I could squeeze some more life out of it, the exterior has suffered from a decade of street parking and the interior is all stains and plastic rot by now. And I cant get over the creeping suspicion that its just going to give out on me someday soon.

Proposed Budget: $25k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: I dont think I want anything larger than a midsize sedan or hatchback, but I might investigate pick-ups too. Sometimes I haul multiple suitcases or pieces of furniture, but I know I dont want a van or SUV or crossover.
How will you be using the car?: I currently drive about 3500mi/yr and I dont anticipate that changing. I love how, 24 years on, the Corolla feels nimble, responsive, and zippy. It feels more streamlined than most cars on the road or those that I rent for biz trips. Like small on the exterior but no compromise on interior roominess.
Outside of how the car feels to drive, luxury isnt required (because any car seems futuristic compared to mine these days) but Im interested in a nice sound system.
I have no car maintenance experience, and so if Im buying something fun, I also want it to be reliable and simple. I expect to use this car for up to 10 years, but my minimum for its lifespan is 5 years. So Im fine buying a car with 90k miles as long as its going to be rock-steady for another 30k miles at minimum, and avoiding the wrong choice on that is the main reason Im posting here.

I looked at well-reviewed cars from recent years that looked like they might fit the bill, but Im really open to creative suggestions:
2019 Ford Mustang
2018 Honda Civic
2017 + 2018 Chevy Camaro
Hyundai Santa Fe

Thanks to anyone for thoughts; real excited to dive into this for my first time ever!

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Sounds like you need to narrow down what you want more. Id start by going to Carmax and sitting in a bunch of different stuff and then asking for feedback based on what you like. The list of Mustang Civic Santa Fe and truck is all over the place right now. Youll need to figure out the sizes you like, space requirements, how much performance or fun factor you want, technology desires, comfort desires, etc. Reliability wont really be an issue with your price point and amount of driving, and you can probably ignore any mpg requirements too. Right now, fitting suitcases and being reliable for 35k miles over 10 years is like 90% of all cars out there.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Seller didn't show up and then later deleted the marketplace post. One of my dad's golfing buddies works at a dealership and got an 08 grand prix with low miles on a trade in, but hasn't fully looked it over yet.

For content I've found the youtube channels

RatchetsandWrenches : reliable car series
And
Car Wizard : buy this not that

Theyve been helpful in getting back into cars and whatnot.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Probably skip the Camero if you like being able to see out of the car.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Probably skip the Camero

I feel like you can leave it at that for all Camaro related questions

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Probably skip the Camero

Agree

In like, 30 years it'll fall under the Corvette C3 rule but for now, meh

FMchubs
Mar 27, 2010

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Sounds like you need to narrow down what you want more. Id start by going to Carmax and sitting in a bunch of different stuff and then asking for feedback based on what you like. The list of Mustang Civic Santa Fe and truck is all over the place right now. Youll need to figure out the sizes you like, space requirements, how much performance or fun factor you want, technology desires, comfort desires, etc. Reliability wont really be an issue with your price point and amount of driving, and you can probably ignore any mpg requirements too. Right now, fitting suitcases and being reliable for 35k miles over 10 years is like 90% of all cars out there.

Fair enough--I probably shouldn't have mentioned the truck as a possibility. The bolded line above is the reassuring thing to hear; I assumed that at 90k miles there are certain makes that I shouldn't even consider, but I guess that's not the case. Noted on the Camaro too! I'll winnow down the options and probably come back with more questions. Thanks all!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ethanol posted:

I feel like you can leave it at that for all Camaro related questions

The ZL-1 is incredible but to be fair if you have a use case for it you dont need to ask this forum questions

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The ZL-1 is incredible but to be fair if you have a use case for it you dont need to ask this forum questions

I always ask here about my stupid sports car buying decisions and y'all always encourage my bad habits.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

I always ask here about my stupid sports car buying decisions and y'all always encourage my bad habits.

you should buy a ZL-1

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you want to level up your bad decision making skills come join us in the nautical insanity thread

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you should buy a ZL-1

I'm very seriously considering an Emira.

Hadlock posted:

If you want to level up your bad decision making skills come join us in the nautical insanity thread

No.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Emira honestly looks great. You can't possibly lose money buying probably one of the last manual trans sports cars in the world right?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Why not a plane instead? They can be cheaper than cars even.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

It's weird that a sales guy was trying to get me to wire full payment for a car without any sort of purchase agreement right? Been emailing sales guy at a dealership an hour away about buying a Miata. He gives me a quote and also lets me know what ttl would be. We haggle a bit, he goes down a couple hundred. I think about it and then ask for what is ttl on that. He sends me a screenshot of I guess the dealer page showing the numbers. I tell him cool write it up. Later that day I get a Word doc with wire info, no other info, no docs or anything. Yesterday afternoon he tries the people are looking at the Miata!!! You gotta pay now now now to reserve it. I tell him I'm not wiring 35k without any agreement. His reply is that he already sent me a price sheet and I should send send send.

I don't have a lot of experience buying new cars from dealerships, especially trying to do most of it online. It's absolutely crazy to send even a verifiable legit dealership money without any agreement, right?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Id say its incompetence rather than dishonesty but yeah I wouldnt send them money without a purchase agreement with all the numbers on it.

Ive bought three cars remotely so far and it works just the same as it does in person its just that theyre sending you PDFs instead of shoving papers at you so there wasnt really any payment until doc signing was happening/had happened.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 28, 2023

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Oh hey is it the end of the month already.

There probably isn't high danger here assuming it's not a wire to the guys personal account. Any money you send without an agreement will be a deposit which is probably technically refundable if you're able to sit in court and bang your head against it.

I wouldn't put the full amount toward something without an agreement even if I'm in person or depositing for something en route.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

zedprime posted:

There probably isn't high danger here assuming it's not a wire to the guys personal account.

This was first thing that came to mind after buying a house and the title person talking about wire scams a bunch.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
My friend is looking at 2013+ Mazda 3 sedans for his daughter's first car (in California so no rust concerns). Are there any glaring things to be aware of??

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

OK, dumb question, but I haven't bought a car since 2011.

My wife and I are looking to buy a car. She wants a new car, and that's not an argument I'm going to win. We're looking at a Camry LE Hybrid. Base with cold weather package is $29,950. With destination charge ($1100), it's $31,050.

It'll have to be ordered and will likely take 2-4 months for delivery. I'm used to going to a dealer, seeing the stock, and negotiating based on the inventory they have. I'm unused to this new way of doing things.

How much negotiation space should I have on this number? Any help or insight would be much appreciated!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You should also consider taxes and fees on top of the purchase price which is going to be, like, an additional $3000.

Anyways, negotiating car prices is very difficult, but generally speaking you're one of the volume buyers so an easy/quick sale is more important to them than the price, so if you emphasize the fact that you're willing to buy today or whatever (if you actually are) you can probably bring them down like $500 or something, max. Importantly, they are going to sell so many of those cars to so many people, you really don't have much wiggle room or negotiating stances other than a speedy transaction which they may or may not give a poo poo about.

jokes fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 3, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's a new Toyota. You will pay what they say or they will sell it to the next person to walk in the door.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Admiralty Flag posted:

My wife and I are looking to buy a car. She wants a new car, and that's not an argument I'm going to win. We're looking at a Camry LE Hybrid. Base with cold weather package is $29,950. With destination charge ($1100), it's $31,050.

It'll have to be ordered and will likely take 2-4 months for delivery. I'm used to going to a dealer, seeing the stock, and negotiating based on the inventory they have. I'm unused to this new way of doing things.

How much negotiation space should I have on this number? Any help or insight would be much appreciated!

None. You have no negotiation power at all right now. If you can buy the car for MSRP consider that a win. Finding a dealer that isn't marking a car up over MSRP or forcing you to buy BS "protection packages" and add ons is the challenge for popular cars right now. There's a little movement these days on less popular cars, but MSRP for a Toyota Hybrid should be considered a win.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

KillHour posted:

It's a new Toyota. You will pay what they say or they will sell it to the next person to walk in the door.

pretty much this. if dealers are marked up some rival ones in the area will sometimes still do MSRP as a matter of honor. But that's about it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Admiralty Flag posted:

Go on leasehackers and check out the brokers section. I think it's more up to date info that people in this thread who aren't necessarily buying cars everyday. I took a quick look and it seems Camry hybrids are uncommon but possible to get below MSRP. There are Toyotas that are apparently impossible to get, sienna, rav4 prime, etc but Camrys shouldnt be so bad.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Enjoy your LE Camry Hybrid. My 2019 has 60k miles and it's still awesome for me.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Thanks for all the advice. I figured that there wasn't much room to negotiate but thought I'd ask.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Go on leasehackers and check out the brokers section. I think it's more up to date info that people in this thread who aren't necessarily buying cars everyday. I took a quick look and it seems Camry hybrids are uncommon but possible to get below MSRP. There are Toyotas that are apparently impossible to get, sienna, rav4 prime, etc but Camrys shouldnt be so bad.

I did this for my M4 and even though I payed MSRP (+ broker fees), it was worth it to avoid the hassle of dealing with paperwork or pushy sales people.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KillHour posted:

I did this for my M4 and even though I payed MSRP (+ broker fees), it was worth it to avoid the hassle of dealing with paperwork or pushy sales people.

I didn't end up using a broker, but I just used their advertised discount price as an anchoring point for shopping and it was fine. I got a slightly better discount than what the brokers were advertising just by emailing dealers.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Proposed Budget: $10,000

New or Used: used

Body Style: 4 door, probably SUV or truck

How will you be using the car?: I'm a merchandiser so I drive to 4-6 stores every day I'm working, plus picking up the kid from school when able.

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Not really. Bluetooth, good AC, power windows, the basic stuff.

What aspects are most important to you? Reliability followed closely by MPG.

I paid $2000 for a 2005 Crown Vic back in 2016 and it's served me well but starting to cost more than I paid for it. Sitting at the mechanic waiting to hear if the alternator is busted or just the battery, needs new tires, the airbag in the passenger seat doesn't work, inside is getting worn, AC is leaking, etc.

As far as budget, I don't really have a lot saved up right now because I've been at this job for a month after being unemployed since November. I can probably borrow the money from my parents if I need to so I set it to $10,000. I do not have that in cash and if I can avoid borrowing from them, that would be better.

I'm 6' 3" and basically have to fall into the car every time I get in which is fine because there's plenty of room but something taller that still has plenty of room would be ideal. I only mention trucks because having one would be useful but if all the other factors on an SUV or car are better than a truck, that's fine too.

Edit: In southern Indiana so hot summers and cold winters if it matters

Edit edit: It's the alternator, so there goes $580. As long as nothing else happens I can keep running it while I save up at least.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 11, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Proposed Budget: 10-15k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Crossover

How will you be using the car?:
This is for my dad, he has two vehicles: an old f150 (just replaced his 99 ranger after hitting it with a tractor), and a 250k mile ford fiesta he crashed into a turkey with.
He has had knee replacements and has been complaining about the pain of getting into/out of the fiesta. The fiestas primary use is for driving to a consultant job he does maybe 20 times a year, 200 miles each way (he used to fly until he crashed his plane. There's a theme here). Since he's on a farm, the nearest town/grocery store is about 10 miles away. In short, a Lot of highway miles.
Also, he is interested in having AWD+ground clearance so he doesn't have to plow the lane as often in the winter (especially since he crashed the tractor into the creek and had to get a crane truck to lift it out last year) and can just drive through/over the moderate snow.

What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, ease of getting in/out, highway mpg

Rust is a big concern where he is , northwest Illinois on the Wisconsin border. Hilly, cold.
Are there any vehicles to avoid? Most crossovers seem like they would meet his criteria. We had a lead on a '12 Subaru Forester at 98k miles, but the family friend was saying she didn't trust it to drive to Nebraska to see family and I'm betting the CVT is going and it would be a bad purchase.

Should he just plug in his budget on Autotrader/caravana and go with whatever ford/Toyota/Honda/Mazda/Chevy seems good?

Edit: good auto cruise would be nice for him if it exists on anything that old. He would hate any lane departure stuff that can't be deactivated

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 13, 2023

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is your father a crash test dummy by trade?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

dpkg chopra posted:

Is your father a crash test dummy by trade?

Sounds like Harrison Ford.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Proposed Budget: 400-800/mo, <$20,000
New or Used: used
Body Style:4-door compact, hatchback, sedan
How will you be using the car?: work commute in city, plus occasional regional travel for my side gig. I like contemporary features like Android auto.
What aspects are most important to you? comfort, sensibility, reliability, late model, fuel efficiency, fun to drive

Hi, I sold a car in 2008 and have been a bike/public transit/rental guy since. I'm recently divorced and moving into a neighborhood too far from my job to bike/train every day, plus I'm 40 and tired. No kids to schlep.

I'm wanting to explore buying/leasing but honestly am overwhelmed by the sheer amount of options and need to figure out how to figure this out. I have 400/mo right now, 900/mo in a few months, and am looking for something sensible, reliable, contemporary (Android auto), fuel efficient (ultimately interested in hybrid/EV), and fun to drive. I'd settle for three of those. A stretch goal would be manual transmission, but I imagine those are hard to find in NYC.

Anyway, any guidance in how to move through the process? I have the rest of May to figure it out. Immediate goals are to have a commuter that can bop around Brooklyn easily but also get me up state and on regional trips. I'm 6'-1" with a bad back, so a comfortable cockpit is vital.

Cars I have liked: Honda Accord/civic, Toyota Corolla, Mazda 3 hatchbacks, Prius.

Thanks in advance for pointing me to the right thread if this isn't it, and for any advice you could give.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You're in the right spot. First piece of advice is gonna be don't shop on payment. I'm assuming that your actual price range is under $20K as you posted.

but with that out of the way all of the cars you have posted are perfectly fine. I am assuming that since you like the prius, fun to drive is actually not something you care about.

If you're looking midsize (I wouldn't, but you mentioned the Accord), the Ford Fusion hybrid is a good pick.

In compact segment, in addition to what you posted the Corolla Hybrid is a decent choice but they have not been out for all that long so they have not had much of a chance to depreciate. There's the unloved Acura ILX, which is just a Civic in fancier clothes. Semi-comedy option Mk. VII Golf/GTI/Jetta - they're pretty good cars, the platform was reliable, and the Golf/GTI in particular is very well designed for the city. It will not be as reliable as a Toyota.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Really hard to limit by monthly price, you should really be searching for lowest dollar amount and figure out what that max is with your local credit union before you step foot in a dealership.

All that being said, buy a Golf GTI

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Mustache Ride posted:

Really hard to limit by monthly price, you should really be searching for lowest dollar amount and figure out what that max is with your local credit union before you step foot in a dealership.

All that being said, buy a Golf GTI

Nice advice, I'm way less versed in the financials as I've only bought in cash and it's been 15+ years. I have accounts with Ally bank and am interested in financing through them. I'm also a union member and will look into any incentivizations they might offer.

Is the Golf GTI serious advice or a thread meme, cuz it looks like a fun lil car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nah the GTI is great. Its just not going to be Toyota reliable. Make sure you keep up in routine maintenance and use to-spec chemicals and youll probably be fine.

You can also buy a Golf which is less sporty but still good. Basically the same virtues and vices but cheaper and lower performance. There arent so many of them around, though. The GTI outsold the golf something like 2:1 if I recall correctly offhand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

My 2017 Golf has been reliable for the last 66k with just doing reg maintenance except for a leaking sunroof. A used golf would be necessary since they dropped it from their new offerings. You can still get a new GTI though. Its fun to drive and has good mpg.

I found the GTI seat bolstering to be a little much and kinda uncomfortable but im a bigger tall guy. Regular golf is roomy, comfortable, and will have a nicer interior and ride over a Toyota. Toyota would def last longer and be cheaper to maintain. Im almost a little terrified what Ill be subject to repair wise as my golf gets older.