Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Brother Entropy posted:

when you have an enemy targeted there are aggro bars where your party hp/mp/etc are over the class/job icons for everyone, make it a habit to tab around all the enemies every once in awhile to see if anyone's getting close to aggroing one particular enemy off of you

Be warned that there's a bit of lag before the aggro bars load (it's clear the client only gets sent this information for your current target so when you switch you have to wait for a round trip between client and server) so you can't tab that quickly between enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Basically just watch the enemy health bars - DPS gets agro by dealing damage, so if you notice that something you haven't hit in a while has its health dropping, switch to that target and do some damage on it before returning to your main target. Healers get agro from absolutely everything, so either use some AOE threat generation (flash/ovewpower) every now and then, or in groups of 2-4 enemies, just spread your 1-2-3 emnity combo out between every enemy. Your combo attacks don't have to be used on the same enemy as the previous step of the attack, so never feel like you're locked in to only a single enemy

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's awesome. And i was one of those super confused about it when i saw someone actually do it.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Vil posted:

1) Always, barring some sort of mechanic specific to a fight which means you can't or shouldn't hit positionals (because of directional parries, dodging aoes, stacking, etc.). If we hand-wave Bootshine crits as 225 potency for comparison's sake then:

6 rounds of attacks, always hitting positionals correctly = 3675 total potency (100% of potential)
6 rounds of attacks, always hitting from flank = 3250 total potency (88.4% of potential)
6 rounds of attacks, always hitting from rear = 3245 total potency (88.3% of potential)
6 rounds of attacks, always getting positionals exactly wrong = 2820 total potency (76.7% of potential)

So if you would've done, say, 1200 DPS if you were getting positionals right, if you sat in the rear all the time you'd do more like 1060 DPS (well, a bit more than that since your off-GCDs and Touch of Death - which are not counted in the above comparison - wouldn't give any shits about positionals, but you get the idea).

2) (In all cases, assume you'll be doing positionals correctly.)

Demolish amounts to a beefy 420 total potency: 70 + 7x 50 for the DoT. It's approximately comparable to Snap Punch so long as the DoT gets to tick twice, and it beats it (increasingly handily) the more ticks you get on top of that. Don't use it on a single target that's about to keel over dead, and don't use it if it's still ticking (unless it's just about to fall off). But if you can reasonably expect it to live through, say, your next 123 combo, it's worth applying even if the target won't live for the entire DoT duration.

Point being, Demolish is awesome, as your single highest damage, single target on-GCD ability. (Multi-target, you generally want - properly aimed - Rockbreaker, at least for 3+ targets and so long as its 120 TP cost won't run you dry of TP.)

Touch of Death is a bit of a harder sell. It amounts to 270 total potency: 20 + 10x 25 for the DoT. It's still better total potency than any of your standard rotational attacks not named Demolish, but:
- It's 80 TP (vs. 50-60 for the regular ones) and will run you dry that much faster. Mostly only a consideration in very long fights with little downtime, or in fights with heavy AoE phases where you'll want to be able to bust out some Rockbreakers.
- The DoT has to tick at least 6 times (preferably 7+) to be worth it damage-wise compared to other options. So the target has to have a fairly good life expectancy still.
- It doesn't contribute toward getting you to a refreshed Greased Lightning the way your regular attacks do. Normally this is a non-issue since GL's timer is very generous if you're actively attacking, but if your GL is at risk for whatever reason, combo your way to refreshing it before reapplying Touch of Death.

3) Blood for Blood and Mercy Stroke are straight-up damage-increases (the former being a buff, the latter being an attack). Invigorate is pretty crucial for TP sustainability. Your last two slots are more flexible, though Bloodbath is a reasonably solid choice (though definitely lower tier compared to the others I just mentioned).

This is exactly the post I was hoping for. Thanks everyone!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

a kitten posted:

It's awesome. And i was one of those super confused about it when i saw someone actually do it.
The ones in the Great Gubal Library work the same way, which is how I knew to try it, because I was told about it on those!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Gremlins do a debuff. It makes you take extra damage, but can't be Esuna'd. You remove it by using /rally on the afflicted target.

I appreciate little mechanics like this. Like that one thing where you had to kneel to not get OHKOed.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Gremlins do a debuff. It makes you take extra damage, but can't be Esuna'd. You remove it by using /rally on the afflicted target.

I appreciate little mechanics like this. Like that one thing where you had to kneel to not get OHKOed.

I'm a whm, I'm familiar with the debuff it just blew my mind that worked.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm a whm, I'm familiar with the debuff it just blew my mind that worked.

The only trick is you gotta be really close for it to dispel.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

kojei posted:

The only trick is you gotta be really close for it to dispel.

And the animation has to finish.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I don't suppose there's any fancy 3rd party tools (or simple UI adjustments) to make DoT tracking easier as a Summoner, is there? Maybe it's just me being blind as hell but I regularly lose track. Be easier if I could detach the target health from the target (de)buff UI element :(

(current ui)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 1, 2016

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Iron Tusk posted:

And the animation has to finish.

No.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

So I didn't even know the Zu mount existed until they put the recolor of it up on the cash shop, and when I went to see how to get it, turns out my FC's airship had only just then hauled in the spoil.

So now astride, the proud owner of an adorable megabirb.

I have named him Pete. He looks like a Pete.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Wait, what?

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Hey newbie tank in Keeper with threat issues, want some helpful tips for the last boss? You're good? Why the gently caress didn't you stand in the helpful thing that makes you not die :mad:

gently caress i hate pubbies

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Hey newbie tank in Keeper with threat issues, want some helpful tips for the last boss? You're good? Why the gently caress didn't you stand in the helpful thing that makes you not die :mad:

gently caress i hate pubbies

Similarly tonight I could not convince this AST that Garuda EX was killing our precious rocks because he was standing by them, and he even DoT'd the spiny plume.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Doesn't /hug work as well? Or was that another debuff?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It's /rally or /comfort for the misery debuff.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Is this a thing in FFXIV or are you talking games generally?

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/288140-Protect-I-m-ready%21%21-.

The OP in this thread is pretty serious about cross class skills.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 1, 2016

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Technogeek posted:

3. A now completely worthless 'Relic'
5. ALL of my gear worthless, over, and over, and over again.

Horizontal Progression only please, that's what made XI so great. Camping the same mobs every day for 6 years was the best game design ever!

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I kinda liked horizontal progression in FFXI :blush:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Show us on the gear when the game touched you

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

vOv posted:

Wait, what?

Verranicus posted:

Is this a thing in FFXIV or are you talking games generally?

Games generally. I *think* it was FFXI Odin, actually, where you had to get down.... was it /heal? Or you'd get OHKOed because "you lost your head" because "you didn't duck Zantetsuken" or something like that. But it has been a long time since I have played FFXI, and the less we talk about that game the better.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I killed Leaping Lizzy 17 times I think and never got those loving boots :mad:

Also I saw this earlier and it reminded me of simpler times

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Philip Rivers posted:

I killed Leaping Lizzy 17 times I think and never got those loving boots :mad:

I randomly started up FFXI about a year back, I was leveling in Gustaberg and he was just there and I killed him and got the boots :v:

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Hivac posted:

I randomly started up FFXI about a year back, I was leveling in Gustaberg and he was just there and I killed him and got the boots :v:

Eat Literal poo poo :mad:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Games generally. I *think* it was FFXI Odin, actually, where you had to get down.... was it /heal? Or you'd get OHKOed because "you lost your head" because "you didn't duck Zantetsuken" or something like that. But it has been a long time since I have played FFXI, and the less we talk about that game the better.

Yeah, /heal avoids it but /kneel won't.

Also hearing a friend on Skype have some sort of breakdown when he saw Stinging Sophie in E.Shroud was hilarious.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
There is a special place in my heart for post 50 healers I meet in duty finder who DPS, but not in cleric stance.

Someone told me about the /comfort thing for misery and I tried it a few times but it never worked. I assumed I had been properly trolled for believing such a thing. Maybe it was range that made it not work?

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about cross class abilities for non-white mage healers. On one hand, it's kind of nice that they generally have a full set of useful cross class abilities. On the other hand, it's annoying that I feel compelled to shuffle things around for, say, pvp vs pve. I kind of wish they'd just take protect out of the game so I could have a free slot. I don't really feel the spell is unique enough to really exist anymore, but maybe I'm just a crazy scholar who wishes I didn't have to switch cleric stance out for surecast whenever I pvp.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

A lot of the dumb poo poo like that is the stuff that I liked about XI

In hindsight outside of the context of grinding a lot of the Actual Content ideas are kinda neat but they just suffer a ton from the game being utterly slow as molasses

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

XI had a rad story and I've always hoped that one day they would make a single player version of it.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

I mean beyond plot stuff, I like a lot of the exploration things. Like, the concept of the Altepa Gate is really neat to me but it's utterly hamstrung by player movement being overwhelmingly slow and killing mobs to get to the pillars takes forever so it ends up going from a neat zone puzzle to a several hour long slog because it's just so slow.

I could pretty much apply the same statement to every unique puzzle or area progression mechanic in the game

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I really truly loved a lot of things about FFXI, and I did so much random crap (at the game's glacial pace) that I never even hit the cap after years and years of playing. I think I got to BLM Maat and never beat him.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

You're loco if you think you're gonna hide this chocobo, 'cause everybody's gonna wanna ride with ChocoGo.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
M4S is awful.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I kind of feel bad when it's the start of a DF dungeon and the tank pulls two packs but I fail to heal him because Cleric Stance decides to double-toggle to mock me.

Then he proceeds to single pack-pull even though I know I should be able to handle it.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

ruta posted:

Someone told me about the /comfort thing for misery and I tried it a few times but it never worked. I assumed I had been properly trolled for believing such a thing. Maybe it was range that made it not work?

It works, but you have to be right next to them.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

ruta posted:

Pretty sure you have to be in melee range of your target

MohShuvuu posted:

M4S is awful.

geeeeze what a humblebrag at least show some humility

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

URL grey tea posted:

Fun facts for life. Speaking of Amdapor tricks, it's fun to watch people get confused when you dispell the Gremlins Misery debuff by using /rally or /comfort. The debuff doesn't really do much but it's funny.

The debuff is actually pretty annoying when the tank pulls everything and then gets it. Removing it helps a ton.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Anyone have any advice for Sephirot's last phase as a BLM? My static is starting to consistently make it to the final phase and I just have no clue how to maintain good DPS even though I'm constantly running around.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

vOv posted:

Anyone have any advice for Sephirot's last phase as a BLM? My static is starting to consistently make it to the final phase and I just have no clue how to maintain good DPS even though I'm constantly running around.

Use aetherial manip as much as you can, scathe if you need to, and make others move in the daat spread phase. The might/magic is rng, pray you can stand still. P3 ruins dps though. Think i just about get 1k there even with the seph staff.

There's a good blm pov clear video on Reddit but i can't link you since I'm on my phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

MohShuvuu posted:

M4S is awful.

Counterpoint: M4S is great.

• Locked thread