Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How do I get Bank to talk to the Gen 1 games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ok, i finally have my dittos and stuff here. I'll grind up my destiny knot soon enough, and then it's time to start breeding some fun alolan stuff. What are some pokemon you'd recommend I start with? Oranguru seems like a good thing to have for doubles, and i grew quite fond of ribombee during the game. What's good?

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Manatee Cannon posted:

give pheromosa no guard and sheer cold

Ice Types are immune to sheer cold now. But that's not really a problem because nobody uses ice types

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
You need the Poke Transporter app (Downloadable through Bank) to transfer Gen I mons over. Used to work only with Gen V mons, but that got changed in this update. Keep in mind that it will only transfer Pokemon from your first box, so you may have to do a bit of box shuffling.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
How do they keep glitch Mew out, exactly?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How do I get Bank to talk to the Gen 1 games

Use the program Poke Transporter.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

also does it keep other pokemon out that are obtained through the same glitch?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

specifically skeledactyl

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

StandardVC10 posted:

Just a shot in the dark, but since there is no legitimate way to have obtained Mew on the virtual console, they could just make all Mews unable to be transported.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Downloaded Bank, organized my living dex, threw in all my old competitive mons, and used the nearly 1900 BP I had stockpiled to buy items for them, along with Hyper Training some of the worse ones. The only one that can't shine is my non-Mega Mawile. Oh well. It's a start.

One of the most exciting things I had in my old game though was a competitively trained Zygarde that I had saved for a situation precisely like this one. I threw it into my game, used cells I had stockpiled to give it Power Construct, and taught it Thousand Arrows to replace Earthquake. If the Tree would accept it, I'd totally use it in there, but I think I'm going to make it into an in-game mon-trainer Elite Four wrecker machine. It's already just feeling good to see it.

Now, all I need is to get my hands on a Prankster Volbeat/Illumise so I can play around with that. Either I ask for someone else to give me one, or I get off my lazy rear end and get it myself in Alpha Sapphire. Decisions, decisions...

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

It says you have a problematic Pokemon and tells you to gently caress off basically. Everything else transfers though.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

...do i only get one mewnium z from bank? cause i planned on nuking my save and when it gave it to me immediately on logging in i got sad

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Turns out glitch mew is illegal.

well gently caress this poo poo, glad i read this before i wasted 5 bucks

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Lol at all the people who were expecting Mew to be transferable.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

cams posted:

...do i only get one mewnium z from bank? cause i planned on nuking my save and when it gave it to me immediately on logging in i got sad

Yep. 1 per bank account, and it's limited time too. It's a mystery gift, but I have no idea if Mystery Gifts survive save nukes.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Zore posted:

Lol at all the people who were expecting Mew to be transferable.

They one they gave away at GameStop last year transfers just fine though.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
They can easily flag it that any mythical missing the Classic Ribbon (obviously unobtainable in Gen 1) is unable to be deposited into Bank. The odd thing is that according to some data mining Mew is one of several Pokémon hard-coded to never have its HA when transferred.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

notoriousman posted:

They can easily flag it that any mythical missing the Classic Ribbon (obviously unobtainable in Gen 1) is unable to be deposited into Bank. The odd thing is that according to some data mining Mew is one of several Pokémon hard-coded to never have its HA when transferred.

Probably because there was a legal one released in Japan and England. Though Mew doesn't even have an HA yet.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Dr. Fetus posted:

Probably because there was a legal one released in Japan and England. Though Mew doesn't even have an HA yet.
That's by serial code, though, so it has a properly set Premier Ribbon and is in a Cherish Ball.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

They could have at least let Fissure Machamp happen and then waited a month to ban it from online so I could at least have my fun...

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
wait porygon's HA isn't adaptability? aaaaaaaah hell i've wasted so many hours

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
I got no bp. lame.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Game Freak probably picked one of the weirdest ways to decide nature for the RBY Pokemon.

https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/824115414309421056

Basically the Pokemon's exp is divided by 25, and the remainder of that result decides the Pokemon's nature. :psyduck:

Also the Mew is based on the trainer name and ID. If your glitch Mew has the trainer's name as GF and the ID number of 22796, it'll go through.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 25, 2017

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

MissingNo doesn't transfer.
Which isn't surprising. It's just... disappointing.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Is it worth buying an ORAS game if I don't have one? Like, are they fun? I liked both Y and Sun.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Looks like the mew crystal just gets given automatically the first time you boot up, no questions asked, so I got it on the wrong cartridge. Not like I was planning to use it but still sucks.

Ogmius815 posted:

Is it worth buying an ORAS game if I don't have one? Like, are they fun? I liked both Y and Sun.

Personally, couldn't get back due to HM's alone.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Yeah HMs sure do suck. I can't believe I put up with them for 18 years.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

So the shiny calculation of DVs from Gen 1 to Gen 7 is different to how Gen 2 calculates it. So if they do a future Gen 2 to Gen 7 transfer, your Red Gyarados will become blue if it has certain DVs. Oh Game Freak.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

ExHumus posted:

Just a shot in the dark, but since there is no legitimate way to have obtained Mew on the virtual console, they could just make all Mews unable to be transported.

Legit Mews were distributed for the VC releases in the UK and Japan.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

So the shiny calculation of DVs from Gen 1 to Gen 7 is different to how Gen 2 calculates it. So if they do a future Gen 2 to Gen 7 transfer, your Red Gyarados will become blue if it has certain DVs. Oh Game Freak.

Unless they Poke Transport gen 2 guys differently, of course.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Missingno doesn't transfer but what does it show up as? or do they just not display it in the box preview?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

notoriousman posted:

The odd thing is that according to some data mining Mew is one of several Pokémon hard-coded to never have its HA when transferred.

It's just the three lines that don't have a Hidden Ability in the first place (Gengar, Weezing, Mew).

less laughter fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 25, 2017

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Pokémon banks out huh? Guess the days of easy zygardes and cosmogs are over, people are gonna be spending those on real Pokémon. :(

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Bongo Bill posted:

Unless they Poke Transport gen 2 guys differently, of course.

Can you trade between two VC games? Because if so you would be able to trade your red Gyarados from GSC to RBY and import to gen 7 from there.

Crosspeice posted:

Just in case you were curious, if you use Bank with a Gen 6 game, any Pokemon that cannot be transferred back will have a grey square underneath it, but you can still move Pentagon Pokemon between Gen 6 and 7 with no problems.

This is interesting, so as long as a pokemon is from gen 6 or lower and doesn't have any moves new to gen 7 you can send it back in time to gen 6? This is the first time they've allowed that since gen 1/2. What happens if the pokemon sent back has been hyper trained? Do they have previously-unused space in the data structure in gen 6 mons to keep those flags?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Hammerite posted:

Can you trade between two VC games? Because if so you would be able to trade your red Gyarados from GSC to RBY and import to gen 7 from there.

This is interesting, so as long as a pokemon is from gen 6 or lower and doesn't have any moves new to gen 7 you can send it back in time to gen 6? This is the first time they've allowed that since gen 1/2. What happens if the pokemon sent back has been hyper trained? Do they have previously-unused space in the data structure in gen 6 mons to keep those flags?

Pokemon sent from Gen 6 to Bank can never go back.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Just tried it and no you can't. Anything that's been put in an in game box in gen 7 can never return to gen 6.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Missingno doesn't transfer but what does it show up as? or do they just not display it in the box preview?

Poke Transporter scans the VC game and gives you a list of legal Mons. Illegal ones like MissingNo are just left out.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Disappointing news - the contest star ribbon no longer has the special effect when the Pokémon switches in.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Man, it sucks that we didn't get a dex update for SuMo, and also no glitch Mew. But hey, can't complain about a new, easier way to get HA Gen I Pokemon.

Silver Falcon posted:

So with the Bank update live, I figure it's a good time to ask for help plugging the holes in my Hidden Ability Pokemon!

I am missing the following with their HA:

Ferrothorn (Anticipation- invisible until evolution)

I can offer in return: A whole bunch of stuff! Seriously, I have a lot of good stuff. Just ask. Chances are I have it.
I've got this one, you can have it in return for a HA Tyrunt (I think you were the one who said you have that?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ogmius815 posted:

You'd probably like it. ORAS has some nifty extra features that make it worth a look (besides my personal favorite region and cool music). First there's Secret Bases. You can make your own tree fort (or grass hut or cave) and decorate it however you want! You can battle people in their Secret Bases if you find it. Your game gets populated with other people's bases when you connect online with the PSS, just like you do in Y.

Next is the PokeRadar. You can sneak up on Pokemon using this, and it allows you to guarantee what Pokemon you'll encounter. Plus, you can catch Pokemon with one of their egg moves already learned, or even with their Hidden Abilities. When you get the National Pokedex, a whole bunch of Pokemon get added to the PokeRadar encounter table, letting you sneak up on a whole bunch more stuff!

Lastly are the Move Tutors! In the post-game area called the Battle Frontier (similar to Kiloude City in Y), are several NPCs who can teach Pokemon a bunch of moves they can't normally learn in exchange for BP- which you win through the Battle Maison just like in Y or through the Bank. A lot of Pokemon really benefit from having Tutored moves, so it's worth it to consider picking up ORAS for that alone if you plan to do any even semi-serious breeding in Sun.

tyblazitar posted:

I've got this one, you can have it in return for a HA Tyrunt (I think you were the one who said you have that?).

Sure do! They have Egg Moves too. I can breed you one and Bank it up!