Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Huh, I thought that was just a quirk of the zombies being dumb or having less solidarity with each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

RichterIX posted:

I haven't played Descent since I was a kid and played it keyboard only somehow. Is there a preferred control method for it nowadays?
Descent really wasn't made for mouse IMO. It's an odd bird as far as controls go, where "sliding"/strafing handles like an FPS but turning/aiming handles like a flight sim. Like, your view won't just whip around in direct proportion to your mouse's DPI. There is a very low max turning speed; it should really be thought of as "steering" in contrast to typical FPS movement. Directional steering/guiding as opposed to something that approximates 1:1 motion on a flat surface. I can't imagine using a mouse for that unless you've been playing it that way your whole life and are already used to it. Flight stick is ideal, though I imagine the analog stick on a console-style gamepad could work as well.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 9, 2016

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I don't remember how I played it as a kid, probably with the joystick I used for everything (which as far as I remember was that bad Phantom Menace game), but when I set up Descent's controls I went keyboard/mouse, mouse looks and shoots (of course), WADS moves forwards, backwards , and side to side, QE rolls me, Shift and Ctrl moves me up and down respectively, just like jump and crouch in an on-foot based FPS. It works pretty well for me.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I backed Overload, I'm not that much of a fan of original Descent, but it would suck if the last game of the series was some half-baked demo thing and I want that game to succeed. But with less than 48 hours and nearly 100,000$ needed, I'm doubting this :(

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shadow Hog posted:

This extends to Spider Masterminds too, I believe, although it's exceedingly uncommon to find two of those anywhere near one another.

There are a few maps with a couple spiderdemons or more. Starting with The Spirit World, continuing to Redemption Denied, and including, if my recollection doesn't betray me, Anomaly Reborn.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

BattleMaster posted:

Huh, I thought that was just a quirk of the zombies being dumb or having less solidarity with each other.

It's a purely mechanical reason why they infight that also just leaves room for a fun lore interpretation

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

There are a few maps with a couple spiderdemons or more. Starting with The Spirit World, continuing to Redemption Denied, and including, if my recollection doesn't betray me, Anomaly Reborn.
Right, but that's still only a handful of cases. My point wasn't that this never occurred (I could easily point to nuts.wad for an instance where it does), just that it's not a very commonplace setup.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
The primary thief fan missions site has a certain, minimalist appeal to it. :allears:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

laserghost posted:

I backed Overload, I'm not that much of a fan of original Descent, but it would suck if the last game of the series was some half-baked demo thing and I want that game to succeed. But with less than 48 hours and nearly 100,000$ needed, I'm doubting this :(

I'm fully expecting them to let it cool off for a couple weeks, then relaunch the Kickstarter with the focal point being the playable demo.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Dominic White posted:

I'm fully expecting them to let it cool off for a couple weeks, then relaunch the Kickstarter with the focal point being the playable demo.

I realized between this and a few other interesting gaming stories that I no longer have any source of gaming news. There's nothing out there I read. I can't stand Polygon or Kotaku. lolIGN. etc.

So if a friend doesn't mention it or I don't see it on a stream/youtube/forum post, it may as well not exist.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Minidust posted:

Descent really wasn't made for mouse IMO. It's an odd bird as far as controls go, where "sliding"/strafing handles like an FPS but turning/aiming handles like a flight sim. Like, your view won't just whip around in direct proportion to your mouse's DPI. There is a very low max turning speed; it should really be thought of as "steering" in contrast to typical FPS movement. Directional steering/guiding as opposed to something that approximates 1:1 motion on a flat surface. I can't imagine using a mouse for that unless you've been playing it that way your whole life and are already used to it. Flight stick is ideal, though I imagine the analog stick on a console-style gamepad could work as well.

Yeah I actually have started using a PS4 controller to play a similar 6DoF game called Sublevel Zero (that is basically a Descent roguelite) and I'd say I'm about 95% comfortable with the control scheme I have set up. The only thing I have minor trouble with is going straight up or straight down, but most of the time that's not an issue for me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

victrix posted:

I realized between this and a few other interesting gaming stories that I no longer have any source of gaming news. There's nothing out there I read. I can't stand Polygon or Kotaku. lolIGN. etc.

So if a friend doesn't mention it or I don't see it on a stream/youtube/forum post, it may as well not exist.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun used to be the last decent gaming news site, but now they've gone downhill too and I barely ever read it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Eurogamer isn't bad. Lots of puns, as well.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Gamasutra is also not-poo poo, but focused more on the business and design side of things. They have some excellent historical articles and post mortems from various devs.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It's also funny that every game site is exactly the same, running every same story. Destructoid, Polygon, and Kotaku all had a story on a big Snorlax pillow you can buy recently for example.

On the thing about DOOM's multiplayer looking like Halo a while back, remember when everybody said Halo's multiplayer was a copy of UT(99)? Seems like people just compare everything to a recent thingy. Like when people say Tomb Raider is like Uncharted, etc. Granted everything influences everything. That multiplayer does look fun by the way.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 10, 2016

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Blackfyre posted:

Vanilla Doom's gunplay has aged better than Quakes in my eyes. BD is great but I think a Brutal Quake would be really awesome. Might be too much work though.

I need a Quakensteele in my life

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

People compare DemonSteele to Devil May Cry constantly, despite that the two have absolutely no relation to each other.
Similarities don't just exist, they thrive in a medium as broad as ours; very intricate constructs can almost universally be boiled down to the same static building blocks which have been used to build hundreds of other things, and in these similar blocks we get the "Like X But With Y" comparison.

It's been there since the start of gaming (starting with the reign of "Like Doom But With poo poo" in the 90s), and likely will persist until the end of time, when the last keyboard is put down and the last shitpost is sent.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
drat strange comparison there, considering Psychic is closer to DMC then Demonsteele. It features grabbing money, upgrading powers/guns, having a "weird alien thingy" for the plasma gun replacement and the starting pistols are called Ebony and Ivory for cryin' out loud.

But I'm sure I'm just proving your point now. :v:

If I was to be put on the spot, I'd probably say Demonsteele is "If Platinum Games made a FPS with input and advice from Flying Wild Hog." - But I guess that doesn't roll off the tongue as well.

Also Psychic is pretty good. Probably never getting updated again, but still holds up nicely.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 10, 2016

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Heavy Metal posted:

On the thing about DOOM's multiplayer looking like Halo a while back, remember when everybody said Halo's multiplayer was a copy of UT(99)? Seems like people just compare everything to a recent thingy. Like when people say Tomb Raider is like Uncharted, etc. Granted everything influences everything. That multiplayer does look fun by the way.
The thing is, the recent Tomb Raiders totally are more like (an open-world) Uncharted than, well, Tomb Raider - at least, from what I've gathered (I admittedly haven't played them).

Now granted, YMMV on how bad this is if you didn't like the janky mess Tomb Raider could be at the worst of times - although personally, I kind of liked that slow, methodical platformer where just figuring out how to get from point A to point B is a puzzle to be solved, and am sad to see it's all automated now so they can focus on the shooty bang bang bits.

Also granted: Tomb Raider's modernization is almost certainly far more drastic than Doom's will be. Halo was closer to Doom than Uncharted was Tomb Raider, both in the mechanics sense and the passage of time sense (1993 to 2001 vs. 1996 to 2007).

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Halo 1 was nothing like UT99. No combos and the best weapon is a pistol.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

TerminusEst13 posted:

It's been there since the start of gaming and likely will persist until the end of time, when the last keyboard is put down and the last shitpost is sent.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

skasion posted:

I need a Quakensteele in my life

I need a Quake port with ZDoom-like modding capabilities in my life. Even a platform on which you could build Quakensteele would be a massive improvement over Quake modding today.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Shadow Hog posted:

The thing is, the recent Tomb Raiders totally are more like (an open-world) Uncharted than, well, Tomb Raider - at least, from what I've gathered (I admittedly haven't played them).

Now granted, YMMV on how bad this is if you didn't like the janky mess Tomb Raider could be at the worst of times - although personally, I kind of liked that slow, methodical platformer where just figuring out how to get from point A to point B is a puzzle to be solved, and am sad to see it's all automated now so they can focus on the shooty bang bang bits.

Also granted: Tomb Raider's modernization is almost certainly far more drastic than Doom's will be. Halo was closer to Doom than Uncharted was Tomb Raider, both in the mechanics sense and the passage of time sense (1993 to 2001 vs. 1996 to 2007).

No doubt everything influences everything, so the recent Tomb Raider games were probably influenced by Uncharted. But Tomb Raider is pretty much the Doom of the subgenre Uncharted is an entry in, so it's ironic when people say TR is an Uncharted knockoff. Uncharted took Tomb Raider and added Gears of War cover shooting lots of mooks. I do agree that Tomb Raider should have more platforming, traps, and nuttiness like in the old games. My point is people just compare to the latest thing, not looking a bit further back usually.

If Doom is the grandaddy of FPS games (Wolf3D is the great grandaddy and Catacomb 3D is a distant weird relative), it's also kind of funny that games that wouldn't exist without Doom are what people may say the new Doom is copying, etc. And granted I'm sure the new Doom really is borrowing bits here and there from everything.

Tenzarin posted:

Halo 1 was nothing like UT99. No combos and the best weapon is a pistol.

I like the gangsta style sideways pistol action in UT.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The games may not exist without Doom but they play nothing like Doom so....

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Jordan7hm posted:

The games may not exist without Doom but they play nothing like Doom so....

Do the dots go somewhere? Where are we going?

edit: I can't let this thread sleep, so I'm gonna say hey gungslinger class in Killing Floor 2 is pretty cool, plus it's oldschool because ancient revolvers are oldschool.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 10, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So confession time: I've never really played Doom, outside of messing with it in browser ports back in highschool and maybe the first two shareware levels when I was even younger. I only got into FPS games at a relatively late age--the first shooter I played that wasn't on somebody else's computer was Return to Castle Wolfenstein--and the genre itself was supposedly banned in my household, but lol if you think that held up.

But, but, I am going to rectify that failure now, even if I am mostly buying Doom for its mods. So before I start, I just wanna make sure I'm up to date on Source Ports and stuff:

-If I want a true-to-1993 experience I should get Chocolate Doom, correct? It still lets me bump up the resolution, right?
-Otherwise GZDoom is the best one to use. Though I did see a LP where the guy said he prefered ZDoom, so I'm not quite sure what the difference is.
-What's the best mod manager anyway?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Chocolate Doom does not allow you to increase the resolution. If you want a "true to 1993" experience but must have high resolution, PrBoom+ is your best bet. As for ZDoom vs. GZDoom, some people like the software renderer (ZDoom) and some people like GL (GZDoom). Try both and see what you like.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ChocDoom is alright if you want to experience the episodes of Doom and Doom II as they looked in '93, though I'd pick prBoom+ for "retro feel with modern conveniences".

prBoom+, for my money, is the best port for Doom/Boom-compatible levels (most levelsets, as opposed to mods these days, are going to be Doom/Boom-compatible- I can't remember the last high profile EDGE/Legacy/whatever project and the zDoom mapping community seems to be in a very dry run). (G)ZDoom is the best port for gameplay mods.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Minidust posted:

360 pad is pretty spot on for playing Descent these days tbh.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Thanks for the info! I'd never even heard of PRBoom but it sounds like my best bet.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Try it out. prBoom+ (with the plus sign) is the one you want, and I usually use glBoom (the openGL executable you get with the prBoom+ package) instead of software prBoom+.

It's confusing, but welcome to source port forks made by a bunch of nerds over the last 25 years.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mordja posted:

So confession time: I've never really played Doom, outside of messing with it in browser ports back in highschool and maybe the first two shareware levels when I was even younger. I only got into FPS games at a relatively late age--the first shooter I played that wasn't on somebody else's computer was Return to Castle Wolfenstein--and the genre itself was supposedly banned in my household, but lol if you think that held up.

But, but, I am going to rectify that failure now, even if I am mostly buying Doom for its mods. So before I start, I just wanna make sure I'm up to date on Source Ports and stuff:

-If I want a true-to-1993 experience I should get Chocolate Doom, correct? It still lets me bump up the resolution, right?
-Otherwise GZDoom is the best one to use. Though I did see a LP where the guy said he preferred ZDoom, so I'm not quite sure what the difference is.
-What's the best mod manager anyway?

My guess is you'll like GZDoom the best, I know I do. You can set settings so it won't blur the textures to preserve the pixel art, and can make it 1080p etc, lots of great settings, it's beautiful. But fire up a few source ports if you're curious to see different takes. GZDoom even has compatibility settings so the various little behind-the-scenes quirks can work like PRBoom for example if you want.

For me the best mod launcher is ZDL, since most mods or mapsets are just a wad or pk3 file you can drag into the window on the left, along with any other files you'd like to play, and launch your port. Also if you go for GZDoom the recent dev builds are the most up to date. http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/

As for the difference between GZDoom and ZDoom, GZDoom is 3D accelerated graphics, OpenGL as mentioned above. ZDoom uses software rendering. But you can actually set GZDoom to do that too, though I prefer OpenGL. My main issue with PRBoom+ is the menu (and options) are a lot worse than GZDoom's, plus I prefer GZDoom's mouse feel. In general that port feels a lot smoother.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 10, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

doom 4 multiplayer looking sorta like halo multiplayer is a good thing because halo multiplayer was fun

thanks

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I actually have started using a PS4 controller to play a similar 6DoF game called Sublevel Zero (that is basically a Descent roguelite) and I'd say I'm about 95% comfortable with the control scheme I have set up. The only thing I have minor trouble with is going straight up or straight down, but most of the time that's not an issue for me.
Fun trivia from the Volition livestream: The debug camera in Volition's modern game engine is based on the code for the Descent player ship, just mapped to a Xbox 360 controller. So there's an "official" modern gamepad configuration for playing Descent, it's just never used outside of recording gameplay footage for Saints Row trailers. :v:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
lol that owns, that's like Quake code showing up in the newest Call of Duty game

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Johnny Joestar posted:

doom 4 multiplayer looking sorta like halo multiplayer is a good thing because halo multiplayer was fun

thanks

I agree unironically.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TerminusEst13 posted:

People compare DemonSteele to Devil May Cry constantly, despite that the two have absolutely no relation to each other.

I'm pretty sure it's literally just because of the combo metre. :v:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Heavy Metal posted:

My guess is you'll like GZDoom the best, I know I do. You can set settings so it won't blur the textures to preserve the pixel art, and can make it 1080p etc, lots of great settings, it's beautiful. But fire up a few source ports if you're curious to see different takes. GZDoom even has compatibility settings so the various little behind-the-scenes quirks can work like PRBoom for example if you want.

For me the best mod launcher is ZDL, since most mods or mapsets are just a wad or pk3 file you can drag into the window on the left, along with any other files you'd like to play, and launch your port. Also if you go for GZDoom the recent dev builds are the most up to date. http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/

As for the difference between GZDoom and ZDoom, GZDoom is 3D accelerated graphics, OpenGL as mentioned above. ZDoom uses software rendering. But you can actually set GZDoom to do that too, though I prefer OpenGL. My main issue with PRBoom+ is the menu (and options) are a lot worse than GZDoom's, plus I prefer GZDoom's mouse feel. In general that port feels a lot smoother.

Yeah, I'll almost certainly settle into GZDoom with all the bells and whistles, but for the first game at least, I kinda wanna experience it as it was. Only seen through heavily rose-tinted graphics because again, gently caress running at anything other than native and all these mouse buttons have to be used for something.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Alain Post posted:

lol that owns, that's like Quake code showing up in the newest Call of Duty game

CoD is still running on a Quake3 fork I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Keiya posted:

CoD is still running on a Quake3 fork I think.

And that means the AI might still have a bit of code that has been there since the Hovertank 3D/Catacomb 3D days.

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-3-general/64827-some-vanilla-doom-code-found-in-doom-3/

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 10, 2016