Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I definitely think people get too blinded to like how much of the character isn’t common knowledge and how you actually do need setup and origins. Like I know the elevator pitch for Moon Knight but I have no idea what the statue was or who Ethan Hawke is or really any details. I’m usually a bit more knowledgeable about the characters and properties but this is one where I’m coming in pretty blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Skwirl posted:

I think "every comic is someone's first" was a Jim Shooter thing in the 80s

That’s what I was thinking but when I googled it the phrase was referred to as “the Stan Lee principal” But since it’s the internet I was doubtful

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Binary Badger posted:

Guess we're not getting the MoonCopter, Frenchie, or Marlene...

It seems like Layla could be the Marlene character but if so I'm not sure why they changed her name.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i mean, the only MK i ever read was lemire's run and i don't remember all that much about it. I'm pretty unfamiliar with the character, i just didn't think the episode was all that good

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

feel like I've seen enough action sequences set to incongruous pieces of music to last a lifetime.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Karma Tornado posted:

feel like I've seen enough action sequences set to incongruous pieces of music to last a lifetime.

Yeah, personally I wasn't really a fan of that despite liking the episode a lot. If you're going to do that at this stage the sequence should generally be paced to the beat of the song or the lyrics should at least have some ironic relevance--which they kind of did here, but I still didn't think it did much for the scene itself.

Still think Steven regaining control to find that he's suddenly driving backwards was a very fun moment.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the avatar anime joke was good

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

site posted:

honestly this was probably the weakest first episode of all the MCU shows so far for me, but I'm still gonna watch it so whatever

Yeah, the Steven Grant stuff wasn't interesting enough. When are we getting to the Moon Knight factory?

But at least now it seems like you can't really keep the structure of the first episode going so it should be fine.

STAC Goat posted:

I definitely think people get too blinded to like how much of the character isn’t common knowledge and how you actually do need setup and origins. Like I know the elevator pitch for Moon Knight but I have no idea what the statue was or who Ethan Hawke is or really any details. I’m usually a bit more knowledgeable about the characters and properties but this is one where I’m coming in pretty blind.

Ethan Hawke is nobody. A one issue villain from 30 years ago. Whatever they're doing with him here is new.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Aphrodite posted:

Ethan Hawke is nobody. A one issue villain from 30 years ago. Whatever they're doing with him here is new.

Yeah and he looks totally different from the comic version of Arthur Harrow:

It's like mirror image Jonah Hex without the pulled-open eye and flesh flap.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

I think "every comic is someone's first" was a Jim Shooter thing in the 80s

Yeah, I've heard writers from that period talk about it. You didn't need to remind people that Spider-Man let a burglar he could have stopped kill his uncle and learn with great power comes great responsibility but you did have to make sure every issue gave a good grasp of what Spidey was about.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I've heard writers from that period talk about it. You didn't need to remind people that Spider-Man let a burglar he could have stopped kill his uncle and learn with great power comes great responsibility but you did have to make sure every issue gave a good grasp of what Spidey was about.

I mostly remember it from reading Claremont's X-Men where the first page of every book would usually be a full page splash with all the characters talking about what the current ongoing plot was.

Edit: It was just funny to me to hear it attributed to Stan Lee because Lee was pretty terrible about that. The first Galactus story is technically a two parter but it happens in the second half of one issue and then is resolved in the first half of the next. There's a multi issue Dr Strange story from when it was Lee and Ditko in Strange tales that's basically the old woman who swallowed a fly, except it's Strange summoning bigger and bigger existential threats to defeat the last one, until Eternity shows up having had enough of that nonsense and destroys all of reality (reality got better).

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 31, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dawgstar posted:

You didn't need to remind people that Spider-Man let a burglar he could have stopped kill his uncle and learn with great power comes great responsibility

Although they have often done this as well. That's what the blurb is for on the title page.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

twistedmentat posted:

I really enjoyed Moon Knight, I saw people being confused about it jumping around, but that's intentional.

Surprised how much stuff from the trailer was in the first episode. That means there's a TON of poo poo we have not even been hinted to.

I liked that too, it was the first Marvel TV show where the first episode actually felt like a pilot. Maybe because it's the first to use all new characters so they made sure to do the legwork on setting up everything.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I liked that too, it was the first Marvel TV show where the first episode actually felt like a pilot. Maybe because it's the first to use all new characters so they made sure to do the legwork on setting up everything.

Yup, it did well enough to set the stakes for the show, theres no mystery about what Harrow is doing, why Steven is so manic, or even what the suit looks like. Almost all the D+ shows have held their cards to their chest for at least 3 episodes. This you know whats going on from the end of the first episode. There's a lot more to see, but you've got a good basic understanding.

I'm wondering if there's any possibility of another characters showing up later. It is London so maybe secret Black Knight appearance or Blade. That might make them being in Eternals make a bit more sense in the larger narrative. People were guessing Kingpin pretty early on in Hawkeye but they didn't really hint until pretty far in (if you don't count people with comic knowlage knowing the Tracksuits were run by him).

site posted:

the avatar anime joke was good

I have seen some people really angry at that. Like how dare this person in a fake show not know that Avatar isn't an anime!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lobok posted:

Although they have often done this as well. That's what the blurb is for on the title page.

There are also some issues in the Gerry Conway era and after that are just Spiderman reflecting on his origin and supporting cast, plus recapping recent events while he swings around, presumably as a way of bringing new readers up to speed.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Loved the ep! I think it was a strong stand alone that didn't rely on people being comic book fans to enjoy.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I have seen some people really angry at that. Like how dare this person in a fake show not know that Avatar isn't an anime!

Didn't he mention the cartoon after that too? lol

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Codependent Poster posted:

Didn't he mention the cartoon after that too? lol

I think they are pointing out that some people get big mad if you refer to the cartoon as an “anime”.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Some anime fans get mad an American/Korean production is being called anime, some anime haters get mad that their precious show is being called anime.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Some anime fans get mad an American/Korean production is being called anime, some anime haters get mad that their precious show is being called anime.

Maybe they shouldn't be animes then

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Moon Knight is my favourite manga. :)

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Moon Knight is the first Marvel TV show in a long time that feels like an actual TV show. This is a good thing. Actual direction and cinematography, a great actor and writing that’s not beholden to the MCU at large. Just feels like an interesting horror/mystery/thriller with a cool hook.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Moon Knight is just gonna play different for everyone because it’s the first series that is starting with its own world. All the rest were playing off established characters and history. They were also all basically about grief and the fallout of Endgame. But Moon Knight feels like something wholly new, even if I wouldn’t be surprised if something roles itself in as episodes roll on.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

STAC Goat posted:

I think Moon Knight is just gonna play different for everyone because it’s the first series that is starting with its own world. All the rest were playing off established characters and history. They were also all basically about grief and the fallout of Endgame. But Moon Knight feels like something wholly new, even if I wouldn’t be surprised if something roles itself in as episodes roll on.

I'd put even money on Blade showing up. Not sure about actors that have actually been in any of the movies already made.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It'll just be Blade's voice from off camera.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Black Knight and Blade have been my wild guesses. I think the former might make more sense since like he uses an artifact and seemed to have some kind of museum like job and he’s a small enough character that it’s not a big deal if they just throw him into this. But it also seems like they might be using Blade as a core to the supernatural Marvel world they’re introducing. So I dunno.

But it’s all baseless.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I've been guessing we'll see some of the wizard contingent if for no other reason that the magic folks are in the spotlight right now and there's a London entrance to the Sanctum.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

theironjef posted:

I've been guessing we'll see some of the wizard contingent if for no other reason that the magic folks are in the spotlight right now and there's a London entrance to the Sanctum.

Wasn't the London one blown up?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

bunnyofdoom posted:

Pfft, that was like 6 years ago. Just magic up a new one.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It'd be cool if there were no other Marvel guests and just made it a finite series into a broken mind

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Is it like a hell mouth? Like the mystical power source or portal or something is still there, the sanctum is just gone? So you gotta build up a new fort or something if you're being a responsible Sorcerer Supreme.

But yeah mostly its that it feels like Marvel's really opening the door on magic and supernatural stuff here and nothing they've done so far on Disney+ has been 100% isolated so I'm just assuming there will be something that links Moon Knight into the broader world. But that world's still mostly getting built up so we don't have to see Strange or Wong or Shang Chi or someone already established. That's where characters like Black Knight, Blade, and Werewolf by Night are interesting because we know they're coming but they're still largely unknown quantities. But really Moon Knight feels like it could go just about anywhere.

And I think that's what makes it stand out from the other Disney+ shows. They had mystery and intrigue but they also had a foundation to speculate on. We're flying pretty blind here. Even if you know Moon Knight we don't know how the MCU connections are gonna go. That's fun and feels a bit fresh for the MCU.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Shageletic posted:

It'd be cool if there were no other Marvel guests and just made it a finite series into a broken mind

I hope not, I couldn't stand Legion. I just want superheroes.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

STAC Goat posted:

Is it like a hell mouth? Like the mystical power source or portal or something is still there, the sanctum is just gone? So you gotta build up a new fort or something if you're being a responsible Sorcerer Supreme.

Weren't they positioned in a way to create a protection sigil around Earth or something?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I hope not, I couldn't stand Legion. I just want superheroes.

Isn't CW enough or every other Marvel thing?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Shageletic posted:

Isn't CW enough or every other Marvel thing?

No, not really.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

No, not really.

Lol fair enough

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yeah, but that was a long time ago, Wong seems to be a pretty hard working Sorceror Supreme, and it was there because of leyline activity or some magical shenanigan so they'll want to keep an office there if they can.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

I think that'd be great but I can imagine Kevin Feige doubling over with laughter reading this post

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

theironjef posted:

Yeah, but that was a long time ago, Wong seems to be a pretty hard drinking Sorceror Supreme, who loves him some karaoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

TwoPair posted:

I think that'd be great but I can imagine Kevin Feige doubling over with laughter reading this post

yeah i'm hoping he's gonna run into elf with a gun