Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the blood, the blood keeps returning. the dwarves keep washing and washing but they will never be rid of the blood.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

First kobold I've seen in like 5 forts, wasn't even aware they could be visitors.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What affects visitors anyway? I had a nice public tavern, two days travel to elves, humans and goblins but I hardly got any visitors or invaders.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Synthbuttrange posted:

What affects visitors anyway? I had a nice public tavern, two days travel to elves, humans and goblins but I hardly got any visitors or invaders.
Make a tavern, add some bedrooms to it. Beyond that it seems reliant on surrounding civs and settlements, and also a bit random.

I've had forts where it's taken years for the first visitors to show up, but also some where you get dozens within a month of opening up the tavern. A library can attract Scholars, and breaking into the cavern attracts monster slayers.
In my current fort I had 5 slayers ask for residency before I even had the tavern set up, as I broke into the cavern fairly early.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yup, got all of those but this particular fortress on the seaside has had 0 visitors in the 6 years its been up and running.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Visitors initially only come when you open something new - a new temple, tavern, library, guild hall, etc. The first few that show up are pretty much only there to see if that new location is worth visiting, they go back to their civs and report on what it was like, and if they liked it, it brings in more visitors. But if the first few visitors from a place don't like your temple or library or whatever, they'll tell everyone it's not worth visiting.

So if you initially opened pretty barebones Locations and the first few visitors came and left before you decorated them and filled them up with opulent things, you just need to do a Dwarven Press Release :v:. I'm sure there are several solutions but I always open a new location like a 2nd Tavern to bring some new first-wave visitors, they'll visit the OG tavern while they're there and see how nice it is and tell others to visit it too.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Some drat elf gave my tavern a bad rating on TripAdvisor and now all the visitors I get are goblin criminals and lady consorts. :argh:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It is of course okay if your fancy Grand Opening tavern is a facade that gets torn down a few weeks after visitors start going to your first, more mundane tavern.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dogs worst nightmare

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I do think nearby civs plays a pretty huge role in how many visitors you get. If you've settled in a distant, desolate place, don't expect your tavern to be as bustling as if you'd settled in-between 3-4 different friendly civs.

Also, the only miserable dwarf in my current fortress is a mercenary axedwarf who, after getting in his first fight, got permanently traumatized by seeing a reptile man die, get injured (a small scar on the upper arm), and feeling restless after having to rest in the hospital while a doctor patched him up.
My dude, why did you even come here?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
How many tricks are there to "safely" mine blocks from oblique enough locations that a given dorf can't get hosed up doing it? I know the ramp-up-under-a-bridge trick but I'm curious how many other similar tricks exist that don't involve "just slap the mining job on someone nobody will miss and lock the door behind them"

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I think proximity to civs matters more than anything when it comes to getting visitors. I opened up with a rough-walled, barren tavern and I had a dozen troupes petitioning to join in the first year.

I did get far fewer elf visitors after I accepted a 10+ troupe and kicked out all the non-dancers, and after a few years I started to notice familiar faces returning (some of whom had arrest warrants). I was kind of far away from my own civ, so I got a lot of intelligent undead, goblins, amphibian men, etc than dwarves or humans. Almost all the elves were performers.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I pretty much expected that dropping a necromancer down into my corpse pit would be !!FUN!! (assuming she survived), but I didn't expect this:

She was rezzing this (former) citizen, only to immediately kill him, every other second. Ended up lasting for a few months - no idea why she stopped in the end. She now has 863 kills of the poor ghost in her military tab

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is she a legendary wrestler now?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Legendary Fighter, Great Striker, Adept Biter (:gonk:)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This naked elven man showed up in my new fort.

A nudist elf who showed up hoping to be a performer. This nude elf's fascination with tastefully arranged seats. The fact that he doesn't even have any notable performance skills.

That's right. He's been around for 385 years and never learned any social skills.

He also knows a whole lot of dances about lace and skirts

No, sorry creepy elf, your competition was a lazy, non-musical pangolin woman bard, and she got the job.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

How do I view my forts created value?

BIgDevine
Sep 24, 2018

Synthbuttrange posted:

the blood, the blood keeps returning. the dwarves keep washing and washing but they will never be rid of the blood.

I’m new to the game, how do I get that lovely GUI.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

BIgDevine posted:

I’m new to the game, how do I get that lovely GUI.

Assuming you got the free version, the GUI is part of the Steam Version

BurntCornMuffin fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 5, 2023

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Krataar posted:

How do I view my forts created value?

Hover over the fort name in the top left, it'll list out your net worths

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
If I have "Unit has misaligned body modifiers. Adjusting." in my error log, does that mean my save is destined to continue crashing/I need to turn off cavern invasions? I lost ~an hour of work again and it's getting too annoying.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Jinnigan posted:

is there any benefit to indoor farming if i let it get all dense with cave fungus first? like letting fungus grow over all the sand?

Nope but you can pasture grazers on it and they will eat it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

These 3 messages all happened at the same time, anyone know what could have caused this?
Ducim and Urvad are brothers, but Sazir has no relation to them at all as far as I can see.

Also, is there a way I can send them to their respective hamlets to go bother those people instead?

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
Hot dang, just gotta say I appreciate the pictures of cool layouts and buildings. Love that skull on last page.

The Lemondrop Dandy fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 5, 2023

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Broken Cog posted:

These 3 messages all happened at the same time, anyone know what could have caused this?
Ducim and Urvad are brothers, but Sazir has no relation to them at all as far as I can see.

Also, is there a way I can send them to their respective hamlets to go bother those people instead?

Nope, enjoy your 3 new mandates :)

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Is there a good series of videos on how to start off in this game? I've done maybe a half dozen forts or so and while this latest one is sort of surviving it's not really doing well. I'm slowly learning how everything works but having a tutorial video explain good starting tips and tricks would be extremely helpful. What I really need is an explanation of farming and brewing and how to set up the fortress so that it's defensible from enemies. I will spend some time just cruising the wiki as well.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 5, 2023

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Broken Cog posted:

sounds like a few people got Red Wedding'd somewhere

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

My guess? A dragon or a Forgotten Beast or something else with a AoE attack showed up at a Mountainhome and merced a whole court of gathered Nobles in one shot

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Cowman posted:

Is there a good series of videos on how to start off in this game? I've done maybe a half dozen forts or so and while this latest one is sort of surviving it's not really doing well. I'm slowly learning how everything works but having a tutorial video explain good starting tips and tricks would be extremely helpful. What I really need is an explanation of farming and brewing and how to set up the fortress so that it's defensible from enemies. I will spend some time just cruising the wiki as well.

Blind's "short tutorial" series is superb. Little 5-10minute explanations of how a mechanic works. It's what I've been using to grow my ambitions from "survive for a year" to "build a self-sustaining fortress that can start pumping out tons of blocks, for megaproject and defenses."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYw2go17SqI

click through and you'll see the playlist.

i actually wouldn't recommend watching them in order, they're not organized in a linear way or building on top of the previous one. just click the ones that sound interesting or relevant to you.

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 5, 2023

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Asterite34 posted:

My guess? A dragon or a Forgotten Beast or something else with a AoE attack showed up at a Mountainhome and merced a whole court of gathered Nobles in one shot

From the rumours and news the outpost liaison brought me, there seems to have been a goblin army that marched on the capital of my civilization around when the messages popped up. I suspect that might have something to do with it.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Jinnigan posted:

Blind's "short tutorial" series is superb. Little 5-10minute explanations of how a mechanic works. It's what I've been using to grow my ambitions from "survive for a year" to "build a self-sustaining fortress that can start pumping out tons of blocks, for megaproject and defenses."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYw2go17SqI

click through and you'll see the playlist.

i actually wouldn't recommend watching them in order, they're not organized in a linear way or building on top of the previous one. just click the ones that sound interesting or relevant to you.

This is perfect! Exactly what I was looking for, thanks so much!

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
My dwarfs are filthy and I love them for it. Even with dining halls, taverns, and plenty of storage, they are happy to leave food and other crap just lying around. Looking at the bedrooms, there are always a handful that are just full of miasma due to rotten food. There's a goblin hair crown and set of goblin hair earrings that have been unclaimed laying on the temple floor for about a year. I found a bunch of teeth on a statue, possibly a result of a recent kerfuffle. Also, after a recent dragon visit, there are piles of permanently on-fire trash in the main hall. The dwarves honestly just seem happy to walk around it. My fortress has become a trap house.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009

Asterite34 posted:

This happened to me. Except now I have the queen, a Duke, a countess, and 10 barons.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

A new version was released (50.05).

Toady One posted:

Welcome to Putnam, who started this year and prepared this important fix for a nasty save corruption bug. (and the other fixes as well)

Major bug fixes
   (*) Fixed saved corruption caused by certain armies bringing uninitialized protocreatures instead of monsters

Other bug fixes/tweaks
   (*) Sped up line-of-sight code
   (*) Bees no longer included in food count

We're pretty sure the army corruption was causing the majority of crashes people were experiencing, so this should hopefully help a lot of you. It was in turn causing quite a bit of stress and chaos on our end. Now, with this big slice of chaos behind us, Tarn & Putnam can turn their eyes to other improvements and fixes for the coming weeks.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 5, 2023

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Friend posted:

Is there any real benefit to making your fortress super deep (other than magma access)? I have everything set up pretty nicely with a moat around my entrance, and I don't see how cutting down mushroom trees in a monster-infested cave is any better than on the surface, especially if I'm gonna have to go all the way up there for trading anyway

There's a lot of advantages to building in the cave areas, and a lot of disadvantages. It can be worth moving fort operations down there or setting up a smaller fort down there for cavern labors (designating dwarves to it using burrows) in the later game, either for better access to cavern industries or just a change of pace. If you're planning to do any actual work on lower levels (use magma, haul cages, etc, etc) you really need to have some sort of presence on those floors that is consistent so that jobs on those floors aren't being assigned to people on the surface. Really long pathing jobs across multiple z-levels are savage on FPS and take forever to get done (which just extends the slowdown even more)

Most of the ordinary monsters in the cave can be tamed and give about 4x the value over surface creatures on leather and meat which is absolutely huge on prepared meal value. Cave crocodiles can be tamed, lay up to 60 eggs in a clutch, and give birth to babies who can be fully domesticated by a trainer

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Fish Appreciator posted:

My fortress has become a trap house.

lmao

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Did they release any of the big old modpacks?

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Fish Appreciator posted:

Also, after a recent dragon visit, there are piles of permanently on-fire trash in the main hall.

This is excellent haha

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you really want to get rid of forever-burning stuff, drop water on them from above with the pond designation. It's how I put out a bunch of diamonds that were somehow on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Broken Cog posted:

If you really want to get rid of forever-burning stuff, drop water on them from above with the pond designation.

Doesn't work on all ever burning things