Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Deku just uses all 6 quirks next week with 100% mastery. Seeing and knowing all, now, he simply teleports the league of villains into the cage and the cage to Tartarus. The manga ends, and in the epilogue Momo is praised for how much she helped.

Unrelated, Vigilantes is so fun to read, and I don't really know why. The straightforward death flagging of Captain Celebrity is kind of morbidly hilarious.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Zomborgon posted:

So you're saying that he should form a new sort of team with these new quirks, powers which are specifically activated by carrying a certain emotion into battle?

Surely Koda would be The Pain? Not that I'd blame anyone for forgetting he exists. Uraraka as the CQC master is perfect though. :kiss:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Mountaineer posted:

Surely Koda would be The Pain? Not that I'd blame anyone for forgetting he exists. Uraraka as the CQC master is perfect though. :kiss:

I was going for the reference to his power's emergence scarring him up, plus the fact that he's the type to resist but still feel all that comes at him. Didn't think too much about The Pain's actual methods, though, good catch.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
maybe wait for deku to use the whips for more than literally one panel before you guys go nuts about him "mastering" it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Inflammatory posted:

maybe wait for deku to use the whips for more than literally one panel before you guys go nuts about him "mastering" it.

Deku has Mastered Black Whip and Todoroki is going to thank Endeavor for all the child abuse.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Onmi posted:

Deku has Mastered Black Whip and Todoroki is going to thank Endeavor for all the child abuse.

Yeah momo has already lost 3 fights in the background and eri has fixed all the problems and tetsutetsu had declared the next exam a fight to the death for real and the teachers are cheering him on.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I can't wait for Deku and Midnight to have a whip off and then Mineta gets so jealous he dies.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

PringleCreamEgg posted:

and then Mineta gets so jealous he dies.

Um, this is supposed to be worst possible version of manga, no the best one.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lt. Lizard posted:

Um, this is supposed to be worst possible version of manga, no the best one.

Don't worry, one of Deku's new quirks is a resurrection quirk

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Pink Grape combo move managed to get a sigh out of me

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Shere posted:

Unrelated, Vigilantes is so fun to read, and I don't really know why. The straightforward death flagging of Captain Celebrity is kind of morbidly hilarious.

It's so blatant that I can't help but think they're going to swerve us somehow.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Onmi posted:

To be fair there is recent precedent for "thanking abusive parent for child abuse" thing, but Tsukuda is not a very good writer.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fabricated posted:

To be fair there is recent precedent for "thanking abusive parent for child abuse" thing, but Tsukuda is not a very good writer.

The recent precedent being a completely different writer writing a different story.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I just binged Vigilantes in one shot, and this is basically what I thought My Hero Academia was gonna be. Really enjoying it and the pace is good as well.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The recent precedent being a completely different writer writing a different story.

Essentially all of the handwringing about this series is because other authors hosed up their stories and people don’t trust koshi because of that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JahRoo posted:

Essentially all of the handwringing about this series is because other authors hosed up their stories and people don’t trust koshi because of that.

In fairness, if I took a shot right now for every time a shonen I liked turned to poo poo I'd be dead in minutes

E: Right now MHA is taking a similar trajectory to other series I've liked

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 26, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

JahRoo posted:

I mean, I don't like a lot of what Horikoshi has been doing in this story either, but w/e

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Arist posted:

I mean, I don't like a lot of what Horikoshi has been doing in this story either, but w/e

Just out of curiosity, what would you say were the three biggest mistakes from the beginning of the story until now (but not, obviously, what only might happen in the future)?

I only really had one problem with it that was lessened once it could be binged.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wait, so is that guy creating flying, explosive pseudo Nomus? Because that's more than a bit dangerous, but at the same time, before that I genuinely thought we saw a suicide bomber in MHA which was a little bit too dark even for the spinoff.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Wait, so is that guy creating flying, explosive pseudo Nomus? Because that's more than a bit dangerous, but at the same time, before that I genuinely thought we saw a suicide bomber in MHA which was a little bit too dark even for the spinoff.

Well there was a attempted suicide bomber in an earlier chapter that was stopped by Midnight.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Agronox posted:

Just out of curiosity, what would you say were the three biggest mistakes from the beginning of the story until now (but not, obviously, what only might happen in the future)?

I only really had one problem with it that was lessened once it could be binged.

I don't know that I can actually list three separate things off the very top of my head, so I'll just do the big, overriding thing that really demolishes like 80% of MHA's attempts for me to take its world and themes seriously: The way that world and central themes have been established and developed make them just impossible for me to care about. And it's not even just that I don't care about them, it's that the ways in which they're confusing and arbitrary and inconsistent range from eye-roll-worthy to actively repellant. It took me a while to realize much of this, and I'm still processing a bunch of it, but here's what I realized.

I thought for a long time that I just didn't like the Sports Festival at all, until I went back through it and found it largely enjoyable. The thing is, it was still maybe the genesis of my issues with the series as a whole, and the beginning of my ultimate realization that MHA would never be the series I wanted it to be. And that's not a problem in and of itself, but I think that the series it became, one about potential and being number one and strong men being strong at each other until one of them falls down is just lame. And this is where my complete distaste for Bakugo came from: I don't care that his assholishness is something that he needs to work past to truly grow as a hero. I don't actually want to see him succeed. I think he's loving annoying and I want him to stay offscreen. I was much more interested in the nuances of superhero society than I was with watching people lecture Todoroki, whose power was already insanely broken, for not *rising up to his full ability* or whatever, because being the strongest hero is an utterly pointless goal, but also a completely nebulous one with no definition.

But the nuances of superhero society showed themselves, and... they're not very interesting either! It's all soft edges with no bite. It was kind of interesting that Uraraka was in it entirely for monetary gain, but they sand down that immediately by revealing it's to take care of her family. And Stain... Stain is just awful. His motives are semi-interesting in the sense that superheroing is just a job that you do and not an ideal to live up to, and he can't handle that, but that he expresses that by killing random heroes without any real justification just for not being All Might is pretty lame.

I actually do really like this series, but every time I try to really get invested in it something rips it away.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

TheKingofSprings posted:

In fairness, if I took a shot right now for every time a shonen I liked turned to poo poo I'd be dead in minutes
I have more series I liked that got inexplicably cancelled than turned to poo poo.

rip mx0

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Arist posted:

But the nuances of superhero society showed themselves, and... they're not very interesting either! It's all soft edges with no bite. It was kind of interesting that Uraraka was in it entirely for monetary gain, but they sand down that immediately by revealing it's to take care of her family. And Stain... Stain is just awful. His motives are semi-interesting in the sense that superheroing is just a job that you do and not an ideal to live up to, and he can't handle that, but that he expresses that by killing random heroes without any real justification just for not being All Might is pretty lame.

Vigilantes handles all of the themes here (and more!) way better. After binging that I've pretty much made peace with MHA being Deku's Combat Journey and Vigilantes being the actual look at Japanese Superhero Society that a setting like this deserves.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rhonne posted:

Well there was a attempted suicide bomber in an earlier chapter that was stopped by Midnight.

There's a world of difference between attempted and successful.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Vigilantes handles all of the themes here (and more!) way better. After binging that I've pretty much made peace with MHA being Deku's Combat Journey and Vigilantes being the actual look at Japanese Superhero Society that a setting like this deserves.

Yeah, despite a somewhat rocky beginning, Vigilantes has proven itself the better series at this point. Rarely does a spinoff reach that point, but it's really well written and honestly just far more enjoyable than main MHA, which is well-executed but still mostly generic shonen, and the well-executed part becomes more and more debatable.

I can only think of two other examples where spinoffs set in the same verse but by different authors felt far better than the main series to me; Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas and Rock Lee's Springtime of Youth. With the latter, we actually joked with friends that it was the actual main series and Naruto was the worse-quality spinoff. It deserved to last longer than it did.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Arist posted:

I actually do really like this series, but every time I try to really get invested in it something rips it away.

Thanks for the reply. It was good to see your writeup. I like most of the characters, and that's probably why I don't mind some of the missteps (like what you say about Ochako) as much.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

SKULL.GIF posted:

Vigilantes is a really good companion piece to the main storyline yeah.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arist posted:

I don't know that I can actually list three separate things off the very top of my head, so I'll just do the big, overriding thing that really demolishes like 80% of MHA's attempts for me to take its world and themes seriously: The way that world and central themes have been established and developed make them just impossible for me to care about. And it's not even just that I don't care about them, it's that the ways in which they're confusing and arbitrary and inconsistent range from eye-roll-worthy to actively repellant. It took me a while to realize much of this, and I'm still processing a bunch of it, but here's what I realized.

I thought for a long time that I just didn't like the Sports Festival at all, until I went back through it and found it largely enjoyable. The thing is, it was still maybe the genesis of my issues with the series as a whole, and the beginning of my ultimate realization that MHA would never be the series I wanted it to be. And that's not a problem in and of itself, but I think that the series it became, one about potential and being number one and strong men being strong at each other until one of them falls down is just lame. And this is where my complete distaste for Bakugo came from: I don't care that his assholishness is something that he needs to work past to truly grow as a hero. I don't actually want to see him succeed. I think he's loving annoying and I want him to stay offscreen. I was much more interested in the nuances of superhero society than I was with watching people lecture Todoroki, whose power was already insanely broken, for not *rising up to his full ability* or whatever, because being the strongest hero is an utterly pointless goal, but also a completely nebulous one with no definition.

That's not something it became, though. It's something the series was from the start, with Deku's declaration he's going to become the Greatest Hero.

Throughout the series, it's a central theme that attempting to become the best is an inherently noble effort, no matter the level of success. Like Nonoriri, real heroes Aim For The Top, with giving up an infinitely greater sin than mere failure ever could be.

Recently, of course, it's shown with Endeavor's arc, where his quest to unseat All Might is the reason Hawks thinks he's worth the bother, and where his decision to just try to have a heir instead of challenging the impossible himself is at the root of his central sins, but it's been going on for a long long time. Bakugo's never giving up was why he rejected the Villain Alliance and is why Deku idolizes him. In the sports festival, 1-A going all PLUS ULTRA all the time was played against 1-B's sandbagging. In the forest training battle, Kendo has the line "Because at least us simple minds at U.A... have grown beyond the point of ever thinking there's no hope!"

It's possible to ignore the theme to a certain extent early on, but at a certain point, it's just rejecting a dog for not being a cat.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

...okay? I'm really confused at whatever point you're trying to make here. Deku wanting to be the number one hero to live up to All Might is fine, but then the Sports Festival comes around and like five different characters have that as their motivations. I was talking strictly before that arc, because it didn't become omnipresent until then. I get that it's a recurring theme. I think that it's a bad one.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Fabricated posted:

I have more series I liked that got inexplicably cancelled than turned to poo poo.

rip mx0

He didn't get a power fast enough i guess

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Arist posted:

...okay? I'm really confused at whatever point you're trying to make here. Deku wanting to be the number one hero to live up to All Might is fine, but then the Sports Festival comes around and like five different characters have that as their motivations. I was talking strictly before that arc, because it didn't become omnipresent until then. I get that it's a recurring theme. I think that it's a bad one.

I think the point is, if you have a problem with the central theme being to try your hardest to be the best all the time, and especially if you have a problem with something like Ururaka's goal to make money actually being selfless, this series is never going to be something you like.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I don't much care for them competing with each other to become the bestest hero, either. The license exam is honestly my least favorite arc in the series (by a long shot) for that reason - it felt a bit contrived and needlessly game-like in order to support the kind of conflicts that Shounen Jump manga need to exist.

I do like the exploration of the elements that make up a good hero, though. Bakugou being emblematic of the heroic quality of "victory" is hype as hell. Ochako's recent "hero for the heroes" revelation is the kind of stuff I'm here for.

I want to see more from the One for All predecessors, who they were and what their part in everything was, which is probably part of the reason why I'm okay with a 7-quirk Deku.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Fabricated posted:

rip mx0

Kids are very honest about what they want in their comics. Boobs and fights are the key movers of the dial at SJ.

There was an interesting graphic (that I can't find at the moment) that tracked the popularity of the Big Three in the SJ polls along with which series were currently in a fight. Any time there were 3-5 chapters in a row without a fight, they started to decline in popularity.

Shere posted:

I don't much care for them competing with each other to become the bestest hero, either. The license exam is honestly my least favorite arc in the series (by a long shot) for that reason - it felt a bit contrived and needlessly game-like in order to support the kind of conflicts that Shounen Jump manga need to exist.

That's because the system is geared towards producing mercenary freelance police instead of actual heroes. Shoulda listened to our prophet, Stain. The hero system being a corrupt money-driven clusterfuck is not a subtle part of the story.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 27, 2019

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vengarr posted:

That's because the system is geared towards producing mercenary freelance police instead of actual heroes. Shoulda listened to our prophet, Stain. The hero system being a corrupt money-driven clusterfuck is not a subtle part of the story.

I don't think that's legitimately supposed to be a theme because aside from Stain and the Villains no one seems to be particularly bothered by it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I always knew this series was circling the drain when they made a big deal about Bakugou taking Ochako seriously during the Sports Festival. They kicked off the series with Mt. Lady doing a flying kick on some random giant only to make negative progress like that? Ugh.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

I don't think that's legitimately supposed to be a theme because aside from Stain and the Villains no one seems to be particularly bothered by it.

it could be a thing later I guess (I doubt stain's gone for good anyway) but atm it doesn't seem important

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Blockhouse posted:

Except a lot of people in-universe think Stain has a point. The system being corrupt been a major undercurrent since chapter 1, when Mt. Lady janked Kamui's arrest to boost her own popularity. Kendo and Momo spent their "work experience" week shooting commercials. The Hero Exam was busted beyond belief. And now that Endeavor is the top guy instead of All Might, the cracks in the system are becoming more obvious and dangerous. The chapter right after All Might retired had the Police brass talking about taking a more active role again instead of farming out their work to mercenaries.

The VA being associated with this message directly led to them recruiting their current cast. Clearly people are listening to them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

People looking at Stain and going "hmm this dude makes some pretty good points" is absurd when the dude isn't remotely selective in regards to his targets

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vengarr posted:

Except a lot of people in-universe think Stain has a point. The system being corrupt been a major undercurrent since chapter 1, when Mt. Lady janked Kamui's arrest to boost her own popularity. Kendo and Momo spent their "work experience" week shooting commercials. The Hero Exam was busted beyond belief. And now that Endeavor is the top guy instead of All Might, the cracks in the system are becoming more obvious and dangerous. The chapter right after All Might retired had the Police brass talking about taking a more active role again instead of farming out their work to mercenaries.

The VA being associated with this message directly led to them recruiting their current cast. Clearly people are listening to them.

Okay but none of that stuff matters right now and most of it isn't even shown in a negative light. The Mt. Lady thing is used as a joke, the Kendo and Momo thing is presented as an important lesson in being a hero, nobody seriously complains about unfairness in the Hero Exam, and when it comes down to it everyone who is against the system/a Big Stain Fan is a cackling madman or a faceless offpanel nobody and all of the main characters don't really give a poo poo beyond wanting to become the next Pillar of Peace or whatever. The "cracks" showing from Endeavor becoming #1 are immediately plastered over by him scoring a big flashy win.

Like the closest this series has come to even vaguely gesturing at the idea you're mentioning is Gentle's backstory, which is presented with a "Well that sucks!" and a shrug and then he went to prison.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Blockhouse posted:

You said "Man it was bullshit the hero exam was set up like a big game, pitting heroes against each other to make them wash out".

It is bullshit. The whole thing is bullshit. They shouldn't be competing with each other. It's utterly contrived. I'm just pointing out that it this is not being done unintentionally by the author. They intentionally set up the kids to fail because the Powers That Be in-universe want fewer heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arist posted:

People looking at Stain and going "hmm this dude makes some pretty good points" is absurd when the dude isn't remotely selective in regards to his targets

yeah stain and overhaul are the only characters who have a coherent objection to the hero society outside of shigaraki's "let's gently caress up everything, everywhere" schtick and unfortunately their points are undermined because both of them are giant crazy idiot dum-dums