Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Spent the afternoon playing Decarnation and it was not bad for a short 3 to 5 hour experience. Some real good pixel art and music. Pretty dark story and it didn't feel like it was exploitative when it could easily go there, puzzles are simple although there's one Simon says rhythm puzzle that seems busted maybe? Not the scariest game but would rec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
This seems like cheating since I have thalassophobia, but! Eeep!

https://twitter.com/SWTD_Game/status/1667951932588040196?cxt=HHwWiICxxcHc4KUuAAAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpkc4mZUnvI

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

It looks like it all takes place in confined areas, so I'm good in that regard. But if at any point you need to descend below the rig, I'm out.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Morpheus posted:

It looks like it all takes place in confined areas, so I'm good in that regard. But if at any point you need to descend below the rig, I'm out.

:hai:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Morpheus posted:

It has "Deep" in the name, you are absolutely going down.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Hel posted:

It has "Deep" in the name, you are absolutely going down.

Maybe it just, like, makes you think, ya know

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Spent the afternoon playing Decarnation and it was not bad for a short 3 to 5 hour experience. Some real good pixel art and music. Pretty dark story and it didn't feel like it was exploitative when it could easily go there, puzzles are simple although there's one Simon says rhythm puzzle that seems busted maybe? Not the scariest game but would rec

never heard of this game before your post and just finished it, I agree on all points. the pixel art on the larger areas is goddamn beautiful.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Late to the party but I finally finished Signalis last night. Just a wonderful experience throughout. The six-item limit was kind of a bummer, but that really only ended up being a somewhat-annoying time tax. I think the only time it ever really bit me in the rear end was at the very end when I left a flare and rifle rounds in a room that became inaccessible later (I ended up not needing them anyways.) Big love to the puzzle design, so many clever pieces that made me feel smart and I don't think there were any repeats. Very excited for what rose-engine does next.

My take on the events:

What is definitely true: Ariane was a bullied weird kid, was inspired by the photo of Seo to join the military, jumped at the chance to isolate herself in the far reaches of space. She befriended and fell in love with Elster and (unintentionally?) broke all the rules, which had the knock-on effect of allowing Elster to act beyond her programming in the name of love or whatever. Ariane's mission fails, and she gets radiation poisoning from the malfunctioning reactor. She makes Elster promise to mercy kill her, but before Elster can find the will to act on it they crash land on Leng. The crash scrambles Elster's memory and she journeys through the mining facility trying to find Ariane, knowing she needs to find her but not the reason or the nature of her promise. Because of unknown shenanigans, the entire facility gets caught up in a time loop of Elster's repeated failures to reach Ariane. Adler becomes aware of this and starts trying to intentionally stop her, as the time loops have done something terrible to his Falke unit and he is literally unable to abide that. Thanks in part to enough past Elsters dying that the current Elster has enough resources to make it (bodies absorbing the impact of falling down the elevator shaft, spare parts and armor she can salvage when she gets injured, available weaponry) and is finally able to fulfill her promise. We don't know if this closes the loop but at least it's an ending, if bittersweet.

Things unknown: What causes the time loop? Signs point to Ariane's latent bioresonance but there are other potential factors as well, like whatever they found in the mine, or the presence of The King in Yellow (and we know Ariane read it - maybe it interacted with her bioresonance somehow?) Also what is to blame for the mutations? Is it just advanced red eye or is it exacerbated by the time loops/mass bioresonance event? Is the Elster we play at the beginning the same as the Elster we play for the rest of the game? Are we even playing as Ariane's Elster? What was the story with Isa and Erika? Why does every important character in the game eventually sustain an injury to their right eye? What was up with the "dream" interludes on the island? Is it the Isle of the Dead?

I don't think there's definitive answers for most of it, but it's fun to speculate. Any Signalis-heads want to weigh in?

SkeletonHero fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 22, 2023

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

I am fascinated by indie horror games. You know, the short ones you find on itch.io. But I'm also a wuss, and I hate jumpscares and cheap frights.

Do you guys have any recommendation for good, short to very short indie horror games? I prefer the psychological and atmospheric type of horror, think Kitty Horrorshow, IRON LUNG, etc. Survival horror might be OK as well.

Dread > jumpscare

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

No one lives under the lighthouse is one I just completed that was fantastic at the dread aspect and I don't recall jump scares or at least not prevalent ones.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SkeletonHero posted:

Late to the party but I finally finished Signalis last night. Just a wonderful experience throughout. The six-item limit was kind of a bummer, but that really only ended up being a somewhat-annoying time tax. I think the only time it ever really bit me in the rear end was at the very end when I left a flare and rifle rounds in a room that became inaccessible later (I ended up not needing them anyways.) Big love to the puzzle design, so many clever pieces that made me feel smart and I don't think there were any repeats. Very excited for what rose-engine does next.

My take on the events:

What is definitely true: Ariane was a bullied weird kid, was inspired by the photo of Seo to join the military, jumped at the chance to isolate herself in the far reaches of space. She befriended and fell in love with Elster and (unintentionally?) broke all the rules, which had the knock-on effect of allowing Elster to act beyond her programming in the name of love or whatever. Ariane's mission fails, and she gets radiation poisoning from the malfunctioning reactor. She makes Elster promise to mercy kill her, but before Elster can find the will to act on it they crash land on Leng. The crash scrambles Elster's memory and she journeys through the mining facility trying to find Ariane, knowing she needs to find her but not the reason or the nature of her promise. Because of unknown shenanigans, the entire facility gets caught up in a time loop of Elster's repeated failures to reach Ariane. Adler becomes aware of this and starts trying to intentionally stop her, as the time loops have done something terrible to his Falke unit and he is literally unable to abide that. Thanks in part to enough past Elsters dying that the current Elster has enough resources to make it (bodies absorbing the impact of falling down the elevator shaft, spare parts and armor she can salvage when she gets injured, available weaponry) and is finally able to fulfill her promise. We don't know if this closes the loop but at least it's an ending, if bittersweet.

Things unknown: What causes the time loop? Signs point to Ariane's latent bioresonance but there are other potential factors as well, like whatever they found in the mine, or the presence of The King in Yellow (and we know Ariane read it - maybe it interacted with her bioresonance somehow?) Also what is to blame for the mutations? Is it just advanced red eye or is it exacerbated by the time loops/mass bioresonance event? Is the Elster we play at the beginning the same as the Elster we play for the rest of the game? Are we even playing as Ariane's Elster? What was the story with Isa and Erika? Why does every important character in the game eventually sustain an injury to their right eye? What was up with the "dream" interludes on the island? Is it the Isle of the Dead?

I don't think there's definitive answers for most of it, but it's fun to speculate. Any Signalis-heads want to weigh in?

I wouldn't consider myself a Signalis-head so much as a player befuddled by my experience, but coincidentally I just finished this game this week; I got the "Promise" ending, presumably because I took forever and died a TON in Survival mode.

Like you, I still have so many questions about what is real and what isn't, if anything. In addition to the "right eye" stuff, the number 512 makes numerous appearances: Apartment 512. Penrose-512. A signed photograph of Vinetan army unit 5-12. Safe combo 204512. Etc.

I've watched a handful of video analyses on the plot, but one theory I thought was interesting was that almost everything being experienced is in a shared dreamlike state between Ariane and Elster/Lilith; they point to a lot of clues throughout the game that suggest the world you play in is constructed by the combined psyches of Ariane and Elster/Lilith. Among those bodies you encounter is the "original" Elster/Lilith, trapped, catatonic, just like Ariane, and you've just been going through this cycle over and over again to try to do something--i.e. fulfill one of the promise, memory, or leave endings.

It's worth a read but they also suggest why the secret 4th ending--which requires you to be extremely observant and collect a series of "keys" across the game--essentially allow you to break the cycle by letting go.

It's interesting stuff but I'm still trying to parse a lot of it myself.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Douche4Sale posted:

No one lives under the lighthouse is one I just completed that was fantastic at the dread aspect and I don't recall jump scares or at least not prevalent ones.

This just came out on Playstation, so I'm excited to try it out!

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
no one lives under the lighthouse was very similar to one of the dread x or trash horror collection games about a lighthouse but it is also good on its own

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I've gotten proper stuck into Resident Evil 1 on Steam after bouncing off of it a few times before, and I gotta say: They should've made the plot items not take up space in your inventory. Just shrink it down to 6 spaces but make it so things with no combat utility don't take up a slot. It is mind-numbingly tedious having to slum it back and forth through all those door-opening animations to pick up a puzzle item from the item box because I've finally gotten to the part where I need it.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Instant Grat posted:

I've gotten proper stuck into Resident Evil 1 on Steam after bouncing off of it a few times before, and I gotta say: They should've made the plot items not take up space in your inventory. Just shrink it down to 6 spaces but make it so things with no combat utility don't take up a slot. It is mind-numbingly tedious having to slum it back and forth through all those door-opening animations to pick up a puzzle item from the item box because I've finally gotten to the part where I need it.

Yo same, I've stated the HD Remake a few days ago. I get what you mean, it gets a bit tedious, but for a game that old (even the remake is a few generations old) I don't mind it as much.

I was obsessed with the game when it came out. I was 9 and reading about it on magazine stuck with me as a true horror story where people went into this weird mansion full of zombies. It is interesting playing it for the first time today, like exploring a long forgotten dream, but that is not as terrifying as I remember it.

I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I am.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I am visibly older, I think, from all the time I've spent watching Jill crawl back and forth over those boxes in the residence hallway

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Instant Grat posted:

This is one of those things that's tedious the first time around but makes replays a lot more interesting. Once you know where everything goes, routing becomes a big part of the game and there's a lot less backtracking to storage to dump things off.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It gets even worse in Resident Evil 0 because you can put items down wherever you want and there's an item that seems useless after a certain point and takes up TWO slots so of course you drop it relatively early on. Have fun running back for that later lol

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is one of those things that's tedious the first time around but makes replays a lot more interesting. Once you know where everything goes, routing becomes a big part of the game and there's a lot less backtracking to storage to dump things off.

I'm mostly a one-and-done kind of person when it comes to games like this, and I didn't feel that having to traipse back and forth for puzzle items added anything except tedium. I know Signalis got a lot of flak for its inventory limits, but they didn't bother me near as much as here.

I think it's the door animations that make the difference. They're so unnecessarily long.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't dislike narrative horror but I really think someone should take away The Chinese Room's metaphor privileges. Give me a spooky walking sim, leave out the "this is the story of Mary Nurr who doomed her shipmates when she downed the weather balloon LB-TRSS trapping everyone on board in a blinding storm with the mysterious gambler Lyfen Deth."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

al-azad posted:

This is the story of Mary Nurr who doomed her shipmates when she downed the weather balloon LB-TRSS trapping everyone on board in a blinding storm with the mysterious gambler Lyfen Deth.

Congratulations, the Old Man & Theodicy kickstarter has pulled in $1.3 million so far today.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I ended up knocking Tormented Souls off my backlog tonight.

Did I just miss the explanation for how the video tapes enable Caroline to legitimately time travel? It's kind of a neat mechanic, but it's so narratively out of place.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is why RE1 is a GOAT-tier speed running game.

You can whittle down your route through that mansion and optimise item order down to an art form. Many years ago I fell into a zen-like rabbit hole with REmake where I essentially treated it like a race track, just playing it back to back in order to fine tune the path through the game and shave some minutes off the end time.

I've always loved the door animations too, even when speed running. I've always regarded them as a fundamental part of RE's identity although that's me speaking as an old. Back in 1996 that sense of waiting to see what was at the other side of that door animation was all part of the fear, and I guess I've never lost that appreciation for it.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Wanderer posted:

I ended up knocking Tormented Souls off my backlog tonight.

Did I just miss the explanation for how the video tapes enable Caroline to legitimately time travel? It's kind of a neat mechanic, but it's so narratively out of place.

There's no explanation for that, nor really for the mirrors. It's all just spooky horror nonsense.

I love that game so much.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Tormented Souls is absolutely a "you just kinda gotta roll with it" type of game. If you try to turn it into an internally consistent puzzle box, it doesn't work. It's all vibes-based.

Like, the answer to "but how exactly does the time travel work, mechanically" is "whatever works best for the game at the current moment". Caroline's eye is missing as soon as she wakes up, so it's "everything has already happened and you're destined to do the things you do". Except no, Anna's cell is locked and her skeleton is in there until you go back in time and pour acid on the lock, so you can directly change things by going back in time.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Bumhead posted:

You can whittle down your route through that mansion and optimise item order down to an art form. Many years ago I fell into a zen-like rabbit hole with REmake where I essentially treated it like a race track, just playing it back to back in order to fine tune the path through the game and shave some minutes off the end time.

I've always loved the door animations too, even when speed running. I've always regarded them as a fundamental part of RE's identity although that's me speaking as an old. Back in 1996 that sense of waiting to see what was at the other side of that door animation was all part of the fear, and I guess I've never lost that appreciation for it.

I'm p sure there's a reward for finishing the RE2 remake in like 30 minutes or something insane

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bumhead posted:

I did this with the Dreamcast release of Nemesis so much, I loved playing through it. It was short but so fun to try and optimize and blaze through.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bumhead posted:

Yeah the RE games are the only games I've ever actually tried to speedrun. Not to a serious competitive level or anything, just going for the rewards you get for max ranking the game (which requires a pretty fast time), and it is amazing how much fun it is trying to work out your route and clear the games as efficiently as possible. It's very interesting how there's almost two different games in there - the first run through is all about making probing trips out into the "wilderness", gathering supplies and bringing them back to safety when you fill up and always worrying about running out of supplies. Then on your subsequent runs, you already know where stuff is and you stop worrying about supplies running out, and start caring more about "how much can I get away with not picking up".

It's actually a fun little trick the games play on you (Signalis does this too) where you're given way more ammo and healing than you'd ever actually need to just kill everything - you have to be extremely wasteful to actually run out - but it's paced out in such a way that it always feels like you just don't have enough. It does a funny thing where beginner play is "trying to avoid zombies as much as possible so I can save precious ammo", intermediate play is "I can just kill everything, I have tons of ammo" and advanced play circles back around to "trying to avoid zombies as much as possible so I don't have to pick up ammo".

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Well I've moved onto RE2make, and that fucker in the trench coat is making me immensely anxious. I just want to solve puzzles!! GO AWAY!!!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Instant Grat posted:

Well I've moved onto RE2make, and that fucker in the trench coat is making me immensely anxious. I just want to solve puzzles!! GO AWAY!!!

he hears you, he sees you, he’s walking faster now

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
just dont shoot his hat off, whatever you do

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

just dont shoot his hat off, whatever you do

This doesn't do anything, it's just a rude thing to do.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I want to meet the Umbrella employee charged with tailoring his coat and hat. "Order just came in for a 7' tall duster and trilby. For the new inconspicuous stealth search and retrieval unit."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Derby. Tweedy.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Mileon

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

quote:

Hollow Cocoon is a first-person horror adventure game set in 1980s Japan.

Step into the shoes of Minato Jinba, a college student returning to his mother’s hometown after receiving news that his grandmother is in critical condition. Hide yourself from the monster and gather vital evidence to unravel the bone-chilling truth lurking beneath the surface!

Multiple Endings – Experience a captivating story with four unique endings. Your choices will lead the story down different branching paths.

Difficulty Selection – Choose from three difficulty options. Whether you want to just enjoy the story or seek a challenging experience, the game can accommodate your needs. (You can switch to a lower difficulty during gameplay. The difficulty cannot be raised.)

Auto-Save – Both auto-save and manual save options are available. Even if you get a game over, you can immediately restart from the last checkpoint.

Motion Sickness Reduction – To alleviate motion sickness, various features are available, including adjustable viewing angles, a central dot display, and the option to disable camera shaking. Multiple functions are provided to minimize motion sickness caused by visuals.

https://twitter.com/SbbUtutuya/status/1673994831813828610?cxt=HHwWhIDTocXbnLsuAAAA
https://twitter.com/SbbUtutuya/status/1629420948150714369?cxt=HHwWgoDUwYTu7pwtAAAA

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Morpheus posted:

This doesn't do anything, it's just a rude thing to do.

Umm it gives you an achievement actually???

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Well Ada rammed him with a car and then blew the car up. I'm sure that's the last I'll see of him.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Meowywitch posted:

Umm it gives you an achievement actually???

I guess if you want a trophy for being a rude individual then sure :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I will happily shoot off Mr. X's hat the earliest moment possible in every playthrough, my only regret is that he doesn't put it back on so I can do it again :c00lbert: