Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

burger time posted:

It's not bad, but it increases the game length significantly because it can't be played simultaneously.

Xeno is good. Like aa, you can play with the cards and not the new invasion scenario. Haven't played it too much yet though.

This post is correct, but I wouldn't really play XI without the invasion game, it doesn't add much time and balance feels off without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
One thing I noticed about Food Chain Magnate is that it totally has a runaway leader problem except that it isn't a problem - it's the goal. Every game ends pretty much as soon as a runaway leader emerges. Neat.

In another circumstance it might be seen as ending as soon as you get your empire up and running (robbing you of the satisfaction of actually running it), except it doesn't because at that point there's not that much left to do for the winner. It's the runners-up that feel like they just needed a turn or two more and were just getting started :v:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Anyone want to play a game of FCM? I need more distractions at work.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

T-Bone posted:

Anyone want to play a game of FCM? I need more distractions at work.

I'm down. I will lose badly My body is ready.

FulsomFrank posted:

What's the consensus on Ora et Labora? This isn't one that that was considered rushed and Not Very Good, was it?

Tekopo posted:

I played it ages ago and it was one of the few games where I got very bored half way through the game.
EDIT: Just as an anecdote, at my regular board gaming meetup I see tons of people still play Agricola, Le Havre being brought out now and again and still decent interest for Caverna, but I haven't seen O&L in months if not years.

I've heard mixed stuff about it, but the resource wheel seems interesting and I like the chill theme of monks making booze. It's funny you mention it today because I am really considering purchasing it at my FLGS on Thursday.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Lol - ICP-themed deckbuilder.
http://intotheechoside.com/

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Oldstench posted:

loving finally

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Oldstench posted:

lol @ the music that plays when you open the site

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

I'm getting everyone at my game night a copy.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
this will be sure to supplant ascension as the best deckbuilder

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hm playing the anime deckbuilder will be less embarrassing than that, imo

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Chill la Chill posted:

Hm playing the anime deckbuilder will be less embarrassing than that, imo

Unless you Rutibex them together.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i kinda want to buy this but i would need a way to cover up the box

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Oldstench posted:

I'm down. I will lose badly My body is ready.

Ok, I'll make a 4p game -- anyone who wants to join just pm me their name over there (or reply here, whatever).

Captivatingly Dope Artwork.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Oldstench posted:

whoop whoop

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Oldstench posted:

It will be better than Munchkin TCG.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
anyone want to help me make the smashmouth card game

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

PBS Newshour posted:

anyone want to help me make the smashmouth card game
Cursed eggs?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Everyone will be competing to the be the all star.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

I played it ages ago and it was one of the few games where I got very bored half way through the game. You know how in Agricola the game ends when you have just finished setting up your engine and you only really run it for a couple of turns before the game is over? This turns out to be a really good thing in actuality. Ora & Labora is interesting at the start but eventually you just end up running your engine and the game (at least to me) just ended up dragging. The only time I was this bored playing a Euro was when I was playing a Feld game.

Le Havre does 80% of what O&L does, but is much more interesting, cut-throat and ends in a decent amount of time.

EDIT: Just as an anecdote, at my regular board gaming meetup I see tons of people still play Agricola, Le Havre being brought out now and again and still decent interest for Caverna, but I haven't seen O&L in months if not years.

I agree with all this, I wouldn't say it was boring per se but you summarized pretty well why I thought OeL was decent but not amazing. It's funny how building your engine is more exciting than actually running it. I also like le Havre much better for the same reasons, and Glass Road does the resource conversion and spatial building that I liked in OeL with a more interesting action selection mechanic in 1/4 of the time. I would get either of those over OeL, Le Havre if you want long and complex or GR if you want short and ultra tight with spatial planning.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

FulsomFrank posted:

What's the consensus on Ora et Labora? This isn't one that that was considered rushed and Not Very Good, was it?

Components are unarguably bad, but it's my favorite Rosenberg game. I like the building challenging, the worker placement system is interesting and surprisingly aggressive, and there's a lot of stuff going on that even though the game is no-luck and not modular it doesn't feel deterministic. This is also the game that while not directly punishing in the sense that Agricola and Le Havre are, does emphasize preparing for a harvest-style phase that you need to desperately prepare for.

The tiny cards that you often have to read from across the table because other players' cards matter to you (you can make other players workers use their buildings for you) is the biggest, biggest drawback along with the general poor components.

A reprint with either bigger cards or sensible iconography that can be read when it's not right in front of you, and just better components; would make it a much better game.

And the rondo is a nice solution to the "every top of round it's time to stack a piece on a billion spots like in Agricola / Caverna" and its tie in as a turn track is nifty.

So, I mean, I think most people like Agricola (or Caverna...) more for good reasons, but I love O&L the most.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Anniversary posted:

Apparently CMON has a bloodborne boardgame.

I went from excited upon seeing the cover art, to worried when I heard it was CMON.

But maybe it'll be good right?

I mean, Eric Lang on occasion makes good games, especially his not-card-game board games. Oh wait, this is card game...

Hmm.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Trynant posted:

I mean, Eric Lang on occasion makes good games, especially his not-card-game board games.

Counterpoint: Quarriors

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
More recent editions of Ora et Labora have improved components, notably thick player boards (ala Agricola/Caverna) instead of the terrible thin ones it initially shipped with - you can order an upgrade kit from the publisher for about 7 euros I think.

I wish they'd kept the resource dial idea for Caverna if nothing else. Ora to me feels like a more free form Le Havre in a similar way Caverna is a more free form Agricola. I think it's great, but Le Havre may be a better buy for most people - and if they want more variety, more strategy/less tactics, and longer conversion chains, get Ora later.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

To any of you US goons who have Pandemic - In The Lab:

If I wanted to bring this game onto a plane, do you think it'd be possible to bring the vials with me? I'm only bringing carry-on luggage, so it'd have to go through screening. I'd love to bring them, but if they're just gonna delay me/get appropriated i'll just leave them behind.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
Aren't the vials just solid plastic?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Haha, wow, that was unexpected. BGA just added Dungeon Twister to their lineup.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
We soon tired of LeHavre's very limited strategy space, while Ora is still a group favorite. Lots of ways to go, It's a big hit for me and my friends.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Esposito posted:

Aren't the vials just solid plastic?

Yes, but my girlfriend was almost arrested for having fudge in her carryon, so :iiam: as to whether the capricious screener would deem them a threat.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

taser rates posted:

Haha, wow, that was unexpected. BGA just added Dungeon Twister to their lineup.

Oh my god

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I've had Talisman in my Steam library for a long time but just recently got around to playing it. If I remember correctly the thread is generally pretty indifferent to it. I'm finding it pretty entertaining for what it is though.. For those that do like it, what expansions do you recommend?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It looks like there is yet another version of Evolution, called Evolution: Climate.

So basically version 3.0 already?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
So here's a random bit of advice I'd like the thread's opinions on: How would you arrange your LGS' retail boardgame shelves? Sometime last year, I helped my store's manager get some semblance of order into the boardgames, and it's time for a new organizing.

General shelf categories I set up/that still vaguely exist:
(These first few are all on the shelves closest to the front/main hallway, so random passers-by can see them) New Arrivals, Munchkin, "Classic" Games (Risk, Axis&Allies, etc), Catan/Mayfair Family Games, Ticket to Ride/Other Family-ish Games (A2A, Dixit, Etc), Small Box Card Games (Tichu, Bohnanza, Lost Legacy, Love Letter, Coup, Bang, Resistance, Etc)

Next Row In: Used Games, XWangs, Armada/ImpAssault, General Sci-Fi Games & Vlaada Appreciation Station, General Eurogames ('Gric, Power Grid, Carcassone though that should really be in the front near Catan&TTR), two shelves of Cthulhu/Zombie/Horror miscellaneous stuff.

Third row: D&D/RPG Books, RPG Accessories/Minis, Pathfinder/D&D Boardgames, Misc. Fantasy Games, Talisman/Descent & 500 Expansions

Back row: Dominion/RftG, DC/Legendary Deckbuilders, Ascension/Smashup/Thunderstone/MageWars, Several Shelves of LCGs (All the old AGoT 1e is getting boxed up and dumped into turbo clearance or ebayed or something)

Several edge shelves across the four rows have sleeves/binders/boxes/etc for CCG supplies, they're getting consolidated and thrown into the back row, since it's closest to the counter and all the MtG displays

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It depends on who you think will be buying. "Alphabetical by title" is super-handy for people trying to find a specific game (instead of having to wander through a half-dozen sections wondering what you've categorized it as), but is not so good for browsers and impulse-buyers.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Counterpoint: Quarriors

Quarriors is a card game with dice :colbert:

For real though the games I appreciate by him all end up having a map board. Bloodborne BG sounds to be a card game only? I'm concerned. I like Bloodborne :(

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Roll for the Galaxy is a ton of fun! We struggled through the rules because no one had played before (and the others had only played Race a couple times) but it was pretty smooth once we were a few turns in. It pretty much amounts to assigning your dice and then knowing what the phases do. I really like some of the subtle rules changes vs Race, which make the games substantially different in the way they play (and of course the tiles and dice and all are a big difference too). Thanks, Wei-Hwa Huang!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Goddammit got bitten by Caverna hard, even though the first game I played was 6p with 3 other first timers so it ended up taking forever (as well as including a few AP prone players). And now I see it has a solo game? Must resist!

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

jeeves posted:

It looks like there is yet another version of Evolution, called Evolution: Climate.

Are you unfamiliar with expansions?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jeeves posted:

What Mojo Jojo said, but it is slightly different because you're only ever meant to play with one Evolution expansion at a time. The idea of the Evolution Project is to take the basic game of animals competing for survival (success being measured by how much population they can sustain over the long term) and adjust it for a new condition: what happens when some of the animals can fly, what happens when the climate changes and you're not just competing against other animals, and so on. It's a teaching tool as well as a game.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

So I got 2 core sets of the Lotr LCG and I will play some solo games tonight.

I will skip the premade decks and gonna try my hand at building a deck or two. ATM I'm interested in trying a Leadership/Spirit deck with the the Aragorn/Theodred combo and Eowyn as my third hero.

Anything I should be aware of during my first play? Any noob traps or other stuff that may be overlooked?

Possible deck list:

Heroes:
1x Aragorn
1x Théodred
1x Éowyn

Allies (20)
1x Brok Ironfist
2x Faramir
3x Guard of the Citadel
2x Longbeard Orc Slayer
2x Silverlode Archer
3x Snowbourn Scout
2x Lórien Guide
2x Wandering Took
3x Gandalf

Attachments (11)
2x Celebrían's Stone
3x Steward of Gondor
2x Power in the Earth
2x The Favor of the Lady
2x Unexpected Courage

Events (19)
2x Ever Vigilant
3x Sneak Attack
3x Valiant Sacrifice
3x A Test of Will
3x Dwarven Tomb
3x Hasty Stroke
2x The Galadhrim's Greeting

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SynthOrange posted:

Goddammit got bitten by Caverna hard, even though the first game I played was 6p with 3 other first timers so it ended up taking forever (as well as including a few AP prone players). And now I see it has a solo game? Must resist!

You know, if you are interested in Caverna solo there is this other farming game called Agricola that is about 100X better as a solo game.

Every time you play a game of Caverna solo its the same set up, each time you play a game of Agricola solo you have en entirely different hand of cards. That means you have something different to figure out every time you play Agricola, whereas when playing Cavernia the puzzle is identical every time.