Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Deified Data posted:

How do you guys like the Immolation Tinder?

Goofy that it can't cast pyromancies.

Split damage halberd that's also a bad catalyst. I'll pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's funny if you use it for Farron Flashsword.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
For real though why can't it cast pyromancies

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Because pyromancies are meant to be projected from the hand a certain way, and they couldn't get it to look good.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I like nice guy invaders. I was being lazy about resting at bonfires and ended up out of estus at the Cleansing Chapel bonfire right as I was being invaded, so here I am with no estus and about 60% health. So the invader comes charging up into the room and I mash the estus button to show him that I don't have any estus left, and so he bowed and chugged all of his estus on the spot and we had an honoraburu duel. What a nice change.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Iretep posted:

if he used flame surge to punish roll spam he could probably have killed him. sadly even when roll spam is a well known counter to dying people dont seem to get tools to punish it.

Can you post a video of someone actually using flame surge to effectively punish roll spamming? Cause I've never seen that in the pyromancer pvp vids I've seen..

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

RyokoTK posted:

I like nice guy invaders. I was being lazy about resting at bonfires and ended up out of estus at the Cleansing Chapel bonfire right as I was being invaded, so here I am with no estus and about 60% health. So the invader comes charging up into the room and I mash the estus button to show him that I don't have any estus left, and so he bowed and chugged all of his estus on the spot and we had an honoraburu duel. What a nice change.

I love stuff like this. It was non-stop rear end in a top hat invaders for me over the weekend. One guy invaded Farron right as I had started fighting the two Exile NPC dudes. I managed to stay calm and ended up beating all three of them without cheesing off to reset the NPCs. I even beat the invader last, because gently caress that guy. :v:

Remembered to save video of it. I need to edit it down and post it somewhere. Was a fun fight.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Hypothetical covenant talk: my ideal covenant would simply combine Way of Blue and Blue Sentinels/Darkmoon into a single entity with a single item. Joining gets you help with invaders and you're summoned to help others in turn. Bluecops' stumbling block has always been relying on people belonging to Way of Blue. Cut out the middleman and make it a covenant about having each other's backs.

I think the blue cops stumbling block is definitely not people not belonging to the way of the blue. I put on the way of the blue almost every time I'm in ember form and have to fight my way to get to a boss or progress in the game at all. The problem is that the blue cops have to stay at certain levels/ weapon upgrades in order to get summoned automatically.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I was hoping WolfBros and Darkmoons would be more active in NG+, but I've been wearing the cov all day and nothing. :sigh:

At least I've got gestures, pyros, and sorceries out of the way. Now just 29 more rings and 1 more miracle....

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

EC posted:

I was hoping WolfBros and Darkmoons would be more active in NG+, but I've been wearing the cov all day and nothing. :sigh:

NG+'s no longer matter at all for matchmaking, the systems for those two are just borked all to hell for a lot of people.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Can you post a video of someone actually using flame surge to effectively punish roll spamming? Cause I've never seen that in the pyromancer pvp vids I've seen..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UofWpQuBOc&t=94s
basically its good for getting that final bit of hp. anyone with half a brain will stop rolling and start attacking because its pretty hard to roll away from the flame surge spam. ive been told washing poles running stab is another good antiroll tool but i havent tried it yet. throwing daggers are a poor mans antiroll tool.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Iretep posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UofWpQuBOc&t=94s
basically its good for getting that final bit of hp. anyone with half a brain will stop rolling and start attacking because its pretty hard to roll away from the flame surge spam. ive been told washing poles running stab is another good antiroll tool but i havent tried it yet. throwing daggers are a poor mans antiroll tool.

Okay that's not gonna do anything to stop someone that is just trying to delay though. The guy in the video was at half health, not a sliver. He was just trying to kill time until the summon came, so even if he was doing chip damage with flame surge he wouldn't have killed him with it. The fact that flame surge makes you stand still means he would of kept making distance to delay the fight more.

Not that it isn't useful, but it wouldn't of won that particular fight.

VVV Except he's just trying to delay long enough for the talisman to wear off and the summon to come. Flame surge wasn't gonna kill him from half health even if he got hit multiple times.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 23, 2016

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Okay that's not gonna do anything to stop someone that is just trying to delay though. The guy in the video was at half health, not a sliver. He was just trying to kill time until the summon came, so even if he was doing chip damage with flame surge he wouldn't have killed him with it. The fact that flame surge makes you stand still means he would of kept making distance to delay the fight more.

Not that it isn't useful, but it wouldn't of won that particular fight.

it still puts pressure on him and forces him to do something else than just roll if he doesent want to slowly get cooked. and its suprisingly easy to keep the flame surge up to peoples faces because it costs no stamina to cast. once they roll too far away you can just sprint next to them again and keep casting.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Wanna try a bleed build for the last few bosses/areas in NG++, gonna alternate a bunch of weapon I already got to +9/10 like the barbed sword or bandit's dagger (I also got Warden Twinblades). Thinking about the stat spread now. 35 Luck and a hollow weapon (all the mentioned weapons are hollow so far), hollowing at full (or at least over 16) will give me 40, right? I don't think going down to 30 Luck and always wearing a hollow offhand is worth it - I am Level 120 and don't really know what do focus on. Dex as secondary damage stat is obvious, but how much - will it fall of VERY quickly after 40, or are 10 more points a good idea? Worth it going for quality (probably), then surely only 40 Strength?
All the rest in Vigor/Endurance? I know that 27 is a Vigor softcap, but I can surely go way beyond that. What are higher softcaps?

I started as Assassin, so I have two slots already, that should be fine for everything else I wanna do. Hollow weapons probably can't be buffed, and I'm somewhat sick of buffing anyway so I probably won't bother. Probably just going 12/12 in the casting stats for Carthus Beacon because that should be great in that kind of build. Or am I missing something great...Deep Protection maybe?

Basically, I'm just wondering how high to pump Vig/End and how many points I can put into Vit without feeling dumb to wear whatever I want :D.

Harvey Wallbanger
Aug 15, 2009
That pyromancy build looked like a ton of fun actually! I might roll a character like that. Thanks for sharing.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Harvey Wallbanger posted:

That pyromancy build looked like a ton of fun actually! I might roll a character like that. Thanks for sharing.

indeed it does. also, what was the point of the caestus in that pyro video? I mean I know it's to parry, duh, but does the pyro hand have a special riposte attack in DS3, or is it just to stop the attacker so you can land a sacred flame or what?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

VVV Except he's just trying to delay long enough for the talisman to wear off and the summon to come. Flame surge wasn't gonna kill him from half health even if he got hit multiple times.

i say it might have, you say it couldnt. who knows what would actually happen. though your assumption the host has balls of steel and would keep delaying while being cooked is rather shaky from my experience.

homeless poster posted:

indeed it does. also, what was the point of the caestus in that pyro video? I mean I know it's to parry, duh, but does the pyro hand have a special riposte attack in DS3, or is it just to stop the attacker so you can land a sacred flame or what?

the cestuses parry comes out fast, the weapon is light and its infused with simple so it gives FP regen. in a pinch you can put it in both hands and start punching if you need fast attacks.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 23, 2016

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Good god I suck as a pvp sorcerer. I'm level 54 standing outside the pontiff bonfire and getting rocked. None of spells are worth a poo poo outside of pve at this point. I think I'm going to call it quits until I have soul spear and higher int. Right now I just feel like a lovely melee chic with a magic buffed estoc.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

homeless poster posted:

Simple Caestus regenerates FP, not much but why not, it's not like you're gonna wear anything else in that offhand. Parrying might be nice against R1 spammers up in your grill, though.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
I keep hearing about this Greirat guy. Who the gently caress is that? I just finished Irithyll.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

homeless poster posted:

where were you invading though, somewhere that's already high traffic, like road of sacrifice or catacombs or irithyll after pontiff, or somewhere that's relatively less busy like cotd or smoldering lake? if you were invading areas that are already lower traffic and still getting invader-bros more often than not with the sunlight invasions, that's a pretty cool anecdote.

Archdragon peak.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

NT Plus posted:

I keep hearing about this Greirat guy. Who the gently caress is that? I just finished Irithyll.

He was in the beginning of the game, the high wall. Ya probably missed 'im, go back and look around.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Happy Hedonist posted:

Good god I suck as a pvp sorcerer. I'm level 54 standing outside the pontiff bonfire and getting rocked. None of spells are worth a poo poo outside of pve at this point. I think I'm going to call it quits until I have soul spear and higher int. Right now I just feel like a lovely melee chic with a magic buffed estoc.

That sorc life - it really doesn't shine until late game when you've got 60 int and the crystal versions of soul spear, soul mass, and magic weapon.

At 60 int I think I can say it feels rewarding, so at least in my opinion the heavy investment and early-mid game frustration pays off. I'm using the MLGS for fun but if PVP potency is your priority, a raw estoc or dark sword buffed with crystal magic weapon is about as good as it gets.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yardbomb posted:

NG+'s no longer matter at all for matchmaking, the systems for those two are just borked all to hell for a lot of people.

What's particularly strange about this for me is that in the first week or two I was able to do a few bluecop invasions and a ton of wolfbro ones, as in I cleared 30 wins as a wolfbro in a long afternoon. Now I can't get summoned for either no matter what level I'm at even though I get invaded easily by wolfbros and get summoned help when I'm in Way of Blue. PS4 btw.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Filthy Hans posted:

What's particularly strange about this for me is that in the first week or two I was able to do a few bluecop invasions and a ton of wolfbro ones, as in I cleared 30 wins as a wolfbro in a long afternoon. Now I can't get summoned for either no matter what level I'm at even though I get invaded easily by wolfbros and get summoned help when I'm in Way of Blue. PS4 btw.

Neither one has ever worked for me, on PS4 as well. Super annoying.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Grondoth posted:

He was in the beginning of the game, the high wall. Ya probably missed 'im, go back and look around.

Does he maybe disappear after killing getting to a specific point? After clearing High Wall I picked that place bone dry.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
He's chilling in a cell you need a key for.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Filthy Hans posted:

Yeah, early on at both a low and a high level (like 30-ish and 100-ish) I was able to get about an invasion per minute. Now it takes forever, even though REO invasions take no time at all.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Gazaar posted:

He's chilling in a cell you need a key for.

I literally have no idea where to go then. I must have rescued like two people there already. Guess I'm getting a guide!

:darksouls:

EDIT: Wow how the hell does the average player decide to just backtrack to High Wall after doing that? :psyduck:

NT Plus fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 23, 2016

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

NT Plus posted:

I literally have no idea where to go then. I must have rescued like two people there already. Guess I'm getting a guide!

:darksouls:

EDIT: Wow how the hell does the average player decide to just backtrack to High Wall after doing that? :psyduck:

They key to his cell is also in High Wall, so not much backtracking needed.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Does upgrading the Storm Ruler increase the damage the special attack does? About to hit up Yhrom in NG+ and I want to make it easy as possible.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Wait the guide says either Siegward saves or Patches kills him. I guess that's for another part of the quest? Either way he's probably a dead man.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

NT Plus posted:

Wait the guide says either Siegward saves or Patches kills him. I guess that's for another part of the quest? Either way he's probably a dead man.

Yeah that's later, he's just sitting in timeout right now.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

BillmasterCozb posted:

Hm, I wonder how Vaati will do when he doesn't have anything to steal from for conversation

What's all this, then?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I found a fun way to invade as a Moundmaker today after getting tired of gank squads all over the swamp - the earliest part of the Cathedral (when you're still outside it, like the graveyard with all the zombies) was lots of fun. I'd either invade and face a 1v1 or 2v1 in the bonfire room (fun), or if they had 3+ I'd just turn it into an obstacle course. Run a bit ahead of them and when they hit a roadblock (like that part with the crossbow guys, or the part with 4+ thrall hooded dudes) I'd run in and try to take out a phantom or two. If they beat the 'obstacle' I'd just run away and bait them ahead. Best part was if a blue showed up and they made it to the end (where all the hollows are praying and there's a big axe hollow hiding), I'd let them get close and then just black crystal out. After so many gank squad, run-in-circles-resummoning-phantoms etc. situations, it felt nice to troll someone back. 35 shackles in 2 hours. :)

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

oh and I got my 30 swordgrass the other day by farming the 3 ghru at the Farron Keep bonfire, but I wore the covenant item while doing it and had about 8 summons over the however many hours it took. Still have never, ever been summoned as a blue. I am assuming I will be farming ears for ages when I get this character to AL

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

The Berzerker posted:

oh and I got my 30 swordgrass the other day by farming the 3 ghru at the Farron Keep bonfire, but I wore the covenant item while doing it and had about 8 summons over the however many hours it took. Still have never, ever been summoned as a blue. I am assuming I will be farming ears for ages when I get this character to AL

It is weird and probably just dumb luck but I never got summoned either as a blue till I started just switching covenants between the blue sentinels and darkmoon. It also seems to be location based. Me hiding out in the archdragon's peak gets me counter invasions in the same place.

Went from 6 to 20 ears just farming things and switching up my covenant every few minutes. A few minutes after every switch I might get a bit. Pray that there are two reds to kill at every encounter and the host doesn't die.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Reminds me of that WoW open-world boss that could be kited to various locations for various supposedly fun results.

This doesn't work with other bosses though, huh?

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
If you're going to cosplay as a Darkwraith, you shouldn't use a regular shield. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

EC posted:

Wolfbros and Aldrich marchmake 20 levels downward, regular invasions 20 upward, no guessing what level to try stick to for NG+ wolfbroing.

Needs a covenant fixing and making fun and adding new content patch.

And weapon balancing because Bloodborne had a better variety of usable effective weapons for PvP.