Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah, again it's a decent page given the author. Although I will say that even if I won't nitpick, I'm still going to laugh at things like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Fake Spirit Shepherd con artist ruining the reputation of the real ones, protagonist does something about it. That would make for a decent short story. Bit clichee and it suffers from the usual Mookie style black and white morality, but it's miles ahead of Snout and he's not trying to tackle stuff that's way beyond his comprehension.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Move over OG Jacob, there's a new 'best character in the comic' in town.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah, again it's a decent page given the author. Although I will say that even if I won't nitpick, I'm still going to laugh at things like this:

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
This is the best page mookie has ever done. It's almost startling

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I think this story (or at least this section of the story) is better at least partially because it doesn't have a ton of baggage.

OG Legacy was locked to Snout's POV, which Mookie wasn't really equipped to handle, and the one character who had a specific motivation and moved the plot along was dependent on the reader having been present during Mookie's WoW RP sessions.

Makena's chapter was obligated to include a bunch of kickstarter characters, and the protagonist was again one of Mookie's roleplaying characters that the readers had no previous knowledge of or attachment to.

The dwarf stuff also seemed to require the reader to be familiar with all the worldbuilding he did on Patreon (apparently Cresca's mom was in the Deegan epilogue comics he did there?), while also telling a story about social issues that Mookie's never personally experienced.

The new chapter has no RP characters with years of backstory (that we know of), no paywalled worldbuilding, no kickstarter obligations, and no arbitrary storytelling restrictions that are outside Mookie's wheelhouse. We know who the characters are, and what their conflict will be.

This is Mookie unshackled, at the height of his powers with complete storytelling freedom.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Let’s see if he can keep it up.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

It's taken a long, long time but he has achieved true mediocrity.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Those facial expressions are upsetting and I can't work out why

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Robot Style posted:

I think this story (or at least this section of the story) is better at least partially because it doesn't have a ton of baggage.

OG Legacy was locked to Snout's POV, which Mookie wasn't really equipped to handle, and the one character who had a specific motivation and moved the plot along was dependent on the reader having been present during Mookie's WoW RP sessions.

Makena's chapter was obligated to include a bunch of kickstarter characters, and the protagonist was again one of Mookie's roleplaying characters that the readers had no previous knowledge of or attachment to.

The dwarf stuff also seemed to require the reader to be familiar with all the worldbuilding he did on Patreon (apparently Cresca's mom was in the Deegan epilogue comics he did there?), while also telling a story about social issues that Mookie's never personally experienced.

The new chapter has no RP characters with years of backstory (that we know of), no paywalled worldbuilding, no kickstarter obligations, and no arbitrary storytelling restrictions that are outside Mookie's wheelhouse. We know who the characters are, and what their conflict will be.

This is Mookie unshackled, at the height of his powers with complete storytelling freedom.

I think the big thing is he set up a real conflict here - between the person who can see ghosts and the person who pretends. You have an actual thing to point to where things can go wrong. We don’t yet have a hook, but you can see how one could come.

This highlights the weakness in Mookie’s refusal to plan out his story though. The introduction was fumbled, there was no set up for the plot there, and the whole listless character who has to explain everything is really clunky. Things came together when be introduced the antagonist.

This one feels more exciting to critique because the stuff he’s given us is something you can work with.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
This is easily the best story Mookie has set up in ages and I am excited to see him gently caress it up.
I mean it also helps that I feel like a lot of the heavy lifting has been done by IRL. Like making your villain a Nazi/Neo-Nazi as a way to avoid having to establish their villainy and knowing that it is enough to make the audience hate them. Or was, thee days not so much lol. Lmao, even.

But, like, yeah. Those fake psychics are the worst and just predatory parasites who prey on people at their lowest. This guy works as a villain and charlatan because most of the heavy liting has already been done by IRL context/knowledge we all have, rather than Mookie being skillful. Like, it's not anything Mookie did right so much as stuff Theresa Caputo, John Edwards, and others did wrong.
And I'm confident he'll still somehow gently caress it up.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
I'm fairly impressed, shocked even, by this development. We know, from years of reading his poo poo, that Mookie is incapable of guile or coming up with a way to convincingly deceive other people on his own. That means he went out and did actual, no poo poo research on cold reading. He wanted to include something he was unfamiliar with in a story and learned about it. Even if it was just scanning the Wikipedia page that's more than he's done for any story or concept before this.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Dabir posted:

Those facial expressions are upsetting and I can't work out why

I'm upset more by the total lack of faces in the first panel

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Softface posted:

I'm fairly impressed, shocked even, by this development. We know, from years of reading his poo poo, that Mookie is incapable of guile or coming up with a way to convincingly deceive other people on his own. That means he went out and did actual, no poo poo research on cold reading. He wanted to include something he was unfamiliar with in a story and learned about it. Even if it was just scanning the Wikipedia page that's more than he's done for any story or concept before this.

You're assuming he didn't just stumble upon that in a random youtube video he happened to watch or something

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Robot Style posted:

The latest Kickstarter did also include mongrel cameos so we'll see what story they end up being in (3 sold)

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Dabir posted:

You're assuming he didn't just stumble upon that in a random youtube video he happened to watch or something

Or maybe he just remembered that one South Park episode on the topic.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I am not hating this potential skeptic vs believer protagonist set-up, even if one's objectively wrong. Fun reversal of real life :v:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

he watched mob psycho 100 and the con-artist will be the hero

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

a cartoon duck posted:

he watched mob psycho 100 and the con-artist will be the hero

Nah, this dude puts in effort, and has probably learned and studied. He's a bad guy. Maybe if he was just naturally good at talking and also everything came to him, then we'd be talking!

Also it just occurred to me how wild it is that Mookie, an artist, is portraying a guy who takes money for his work as being evil and someone else who as good because she does it for free.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Being fair the guy who's taking money is just telling people what they want to hear rather than what their dead ancestors actually said.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Tesseraction posted:

Being fair the guy who's taking money is just telling people what they want to hear rather than what their dead ancestors actually said.

The implication so far is that his spirit isn't even there, yeah. It's potentially all in her head - might be even more upsetting for her to find out her father died without any regrets for how he treated her :smith:

Spirit shepherds having a secret community who go around collecting communal funds from people who are only haunted by their own troubles, so the actual spirit shepherds can work with spirits directly while still being able to function, could be an interesting morally grey concept. It's totally a scam taking advantage of emotional people and their trauma, sure. But if it helps people heal from that trauma and live happier lives, while also keeping the actual spirit shepherds housed, clothed and fed so they can do their work for free no matter where they are...

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 4, 2024

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Heliotrope posted:

Nah, this dude puts in effort, and has probably learned and studied.

Aha, definitely a villain then.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Eh, I'm fine with this guy being the villain when he's so clearly based on real-life "psychics" who toy with clients' emotions for fame and money. I've had zero respect for them as a whole ever since a psychic told some parents that their missing child was dead but it's fine because her ghost is at peace, and then it turned out a decade or two later their daughter was still alive.

I would even argue that given the nature of this setting, con artists might cause even more damage considering that ghosts and the afterlife provably exist. What if one of them manages to completely gently caress up some guy's final wishes and ends up prolonging his haunted existence? That's probably where this is headed anyway if the estranged dad actually does appear as a ghost and the protagonist has to help him.

That being said I wouldn't be surprised if this conflict also leans into the pattern of heroes who simply have cool powers with little to no effort versus villains who dragged themselves to power and still can't compete.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 4, 2024

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
c'mon, we all know Mookie will spoil this somehow

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

'Mavpel' has apparently hosed me up, because this actual, real word caught me up and I had to reread it a few times before I realised how it was supposed to be.

I like how Mookie finally has something that isn't awful, and we can't help but hold our breath waiting for him to gently caress it up. Honestly, I kinda hope he manages to pull of something semi-competent, even if I wouldn't put money on it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

rudecyrus posted:

c'mon, we all know Mookie will spoil this somehow

Yes, which is why we don't need to pre-declare this guy is actually a good guy in advance. Let Mookie cook.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
No one is saying Captain Coldread did nothing wrong, it's just very silly for it to be a dichotomy between him and the selfless maiden who wanders around randomly looking for ghosts to ascend while having no other needs or concerns.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think a lot of it comes down to "nobody would really be ragging on this if Mookie didn't have a long-established habit of making people who work for things and put effort into their jobs villains, as opposed to protagonists, who are entitled to gently caress around because they're virtuous and therefore naturally talented."

It's the pattern that people mock rather than any given instance of it.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
yes! yes!!!! the comic is good now

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I can't get enough of that lump collection.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
So her dad doesn't actually forgive her, I guess. How does real!Shepherd get this guy to move on in a way different from con-man here? Like, she'll get there and see a ghost dad flinging rocks at his daughter and his side of the story will change things somehow?

Also I didn't comment before but the previous page was definitely one of the most interesting in all of DD, and it's hilarious that Mookie will never, ever get it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There’s room for an interesting twist here, he read the situation wrong (though the client didn’t notice) and the issue is something else

But that might require planning ahead.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Dad's a dick to wait until she paid the fake psychic to reveal it didn't work

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

There’s room for an interesting twist here, he read the situation wrong (though the client didn’t notice) and the issue is something else
Eh I think that's a cop out that might happen. The conundrum here is what to do if a ghost is a tremendous rear end in a top hat who wants to keep controlling his daughter's life from beyond the grave. There isn't an easy answer and I think it's going to be dodged.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dauuughter. Daughterrrrrrrr. Arrange the rocks in size order or I'll never forgive youuuuuuuu.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

what if the ghost is right to be a controlling rear end in a top hat
he could be a heroic controlling rear end in a top hat

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Maxwell Lord posted:

But that might require planning ahead.

It would be funny if conman spirit shepherd does actually solve things half the time and makes lingering spirits move on just because he's good at reading social cues and actually figures out the problem, even with lacking actual necromantic powers. Like if he had read this situation right, would there be anything holding dadghost to the material world?

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
Or Mookie will do the least obvious thing, and this isn't even dadghost, it's just some random rear end in a top hat that moved in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Mx. posted:

what if the ghost is right to be a controlling rear end in a top hat
he could be a heroic controlling rear end in a top hat