Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I have heated gloves and really think that's all you need unless you plan on riding for half a day or more below freezing temps. You can easily bundle up with thermal shirts and such, but you can't add layers to your hands. I had heated grips and hand guards on my Buell XB and they didn't do poo poo compared to the gloves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

UserNotFound posted:

As good as you'll get for IEM's under $80. I have two pairs (one Creative branded, and one Sharp branded) and they sound quite nice, and fit comfortably. With slight modification (2 seconds with an exact-o) they'll fit in the 1st gen iPhone plug, too.

To give you an idea of how well they fit, I can sleep with them in, laying on my ear and hardly notice them, so in a helmet it's defiantly not an issue.
Slick, I'll have to order a pair, though I've been avoiding listening to music while riding 'cause I'm young and stupid. How much worse for your hearing is it wearing headphones compared to earplugs?

On the topic of heated gloves, has anyone tried popping a couple of those hand warmer things you can get at like Home Depot into their gloves? Those things get pretty hot and it'd be cheaper/move convenient than standalone heated gloves.

fake edit: These

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

-Inu- posted:

Slick, I'll have to order a pair, though I've been avoiding listening to music while riding 'cause I'm young and stupid. How much worse for your hearing is it wearing headphones compared to earplugs?

Those headphones will seal out enough noise that you won't have to turn up the volume much more than normal listening. They're not as protective as ear plugs by any means, though.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Z3n posted:

Keeping your core temp up will really help keep your extremities warm.

I keep hearing this but my experience is when it's really cold, heated gloves are the way to go.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Skier posted:

I keep hearing this but my experience is when it's really cold, heated gloves are the way to go.

I'm starting to think it only really applies at temps like we feeble Californians experience in the winter. :v:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Skier posted:

Your hands are efficient places in which to exchange heat. There's lot of surface blood vessels there. Makes sense that heating your hands will heat your blood, which would keep your body temperature up. It's true that you want to keep your core temperature up, but heating your hands is essentially accomplishing the same thing.

Saint Melmoth
May 1, 2007
If they are our brothers, why can't we eat them?--12 Famous Buddha Minds School

Z3n posted:

Keeping your core temp up will really help keep your extremities warm.

For now, I'd buy the heated vest and see if that's good enough, but I'd probably add bark busters/hand guards anyways. If that plus the grip warmers isn't good enough then you can spring for the gloves. The guards will also provide bonus lever protection, which would justify them on their own, IMO.

+1 Core temp is the biggest heat loss. You're feeling your overall heat loss in your extremities first, but that's not actually where you're losing most of the heat. Make sure your jacket is tight. Keep your neck covered (there are a ton of large vessels in there feeding all of the processing and sensory gear in your head)

That said, if you're not riding for an extended distance and your goal is comfort rather than duration, heated gloves may give you more bang for your buck.

Personally, I find that proper layering, a windproof (ie. leather or nylon) outer layer, a good scarf (I use wool, although I hear really good things about silk), and paying attention to what my body's telling me do fine for my cold weather commuting. I am occasionally tempted to install grip heaters or spring for heated gloves, but my commute is pretty short and I'd rather put that money toward driving lights.

Saint Melmoth
May 1, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

you can't add layers to your hands. I had heated grips and hand guards on my Buell XB and they didn't do poo poo compared to the gloves.

You can get a pair of neoprene thermal glove liners at any cycling (bicycle style cycling) shop for about $10-15. I use a pair under my winter gloves and the difference is very noticeable. If you don't live someplace where it gets really cold you can get a pair of t-shirt material ones even cheaper (try REI). Both liners will make a difference.

One thing that isn't being discussed as part of this and should is glove fit. If your gloves don't fit right they won't insulate properly. In my experience glove fit is the only area where salespeople at moto stores are less competent than helmet fit. You may, if you're lucky, get someone who knows how to fit a helmet. You will never get more than a glassy look and a nod when it comes to gloves.

Put your gloves on. Pinch them opposite the thumb. Can you pinch up the material? If so, they're too big. Probably much too big. Glove fit is a lot like helmet fit. If it doesn't feel too tight when it's new, it's too big.

phishnut
Apr 28, 2002

HO HO HO

Saint Melmoth posted:

Keep your neck covered (there are a ton of large vessels in there feeding all of the processing and sensory gear in your head)

Speaking of covering your neck, I've been in love with this 'originally developed by the elite British Spec Ops SAS' tube neckwarmer that somebody recommended on advrider (after using it to stay warm in Antartica).

It's only $8.99, so I bought one of each color last winter, and they really help out... It was 39F this morning, so I just dug em back out again... :)

edit. but, err, don't take my word for it!

"Bought one of these in the Kandahar PX and used it as a hood two years ago when the outside air temperature was 20 Fahrenheit with gusts up to 50 knots. That's windchill! (And Kandahar is Afghanistan's warm spot.) Our Kawasaki Mule was in the shop and we had to walk about 1.5 miles in that wind and cold from Aviation TOC past the civilian airport terminal. That headover saved me from frostbite. I have carried one ever since when the cold weather comes. Don't go to the Hindu Kush without one."

phishnut fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 19, 2009

Saint Melmoth
May 1, 2007

phishnut posted:

Speaking of covering your neck, I've been in love with this 'originally developed by the elite British Spec Ops SAS' tube neckwarmer that somebody recommended on advrider (after using it to stay warm in Antartica).

It's only $8.99, so I bought one of each color last winter, and they really help out... It was 39F this morning, so I just dug em back out again... :)

That site also has good prices on polyester long johns which are clutch.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Well, I took advantage of Buell's recent demise (and subsequent firesale pricing...) and picked up a 1125R last weekend :woop:

I have some old gear from my cb750f days a few years ago and found out apparently I've lost some weight. I've got a set of Dainese two piece leathers that are too big on me, and kind of annoying for commutting since I can't fit pants underneath the leathers. As such, I'm looking for some new gear... warm poo poo since it's going into winter :(.

Anyone have experience with Olympia gear? I'm looking at either the Phantom one piece or an AST jacket and Ranger 2 pants. One of the guys at my office (multiple IronButt rides, ridden from Iowa to northern Alaska a couple times...) recommended against the one piece because he said even great gear manufacturers like Areostitch's one piece suits tend to eventually leak along the huge zipper across the front -- easy in and out of the suit but a big potential leak point. He didn't have any firsthand experience with the Olympia stuff but had heard good things about it.

My big question is -- who HAS had firsthand experience with the Olympia Phantom or AST? The other thing I was concerned about with the AST is I don't see any mention of a zipper to connect the jacket to the pants, which I would like to have. I'm also slightly concerned it seems like it would be a bit... "flappy" at speed. Other than that it looks like a great jacket for touring and commuting.

I'm also going to need another set of gloves for the winter. I've currently got Alpinestars GP Plus's that have a few years on them but are still in pretty drat good shape, but they really don't offer much if anything in the way of warmth. Suggestions on cold weather gloves?

I'll be picking up some proper leathers late winter or early spring for more spirited riding / track use. Any particular ones I should consider?

It's awesome to be on a modern bike :)

Edit -- the Dianese leathers are up for grabs if anyone is needing a set. I'll get sizes later today. Anyone interested in a used but never crashed in set of leathers?

needknees fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 19, 2009

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

How are the Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants/jacket?

I'm new at this, and planning on picking up a bike in spring. I was thinking of the alpinestars tech back protector to go along with it, and I have no idea what gloves/boots.

edit: Evidently, ADVrider people say their gear is worthless. I'm just trying to find something that'll handle 3 season waterproof riding for a year or three until I get something worthwhile like the Roadcrafter 2 piece. I plan on doing a lot of long rides and not a whole ton of commuting.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 19, 2009

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

needknees posted:

Anyone have experience with Olympia gear? I'm looking at either the Phantom one piece or an AST jacket and Ranger 2 pants. One of the guys at my office (multiple IronButt rides, ridden from Iowa to northern Alaska a couple times...) recommended against the one piece because he said even great gear manufacturers like Areostitch's one piece suits tend to eventually leak along the huge zipper across the front -- easy in and out of the suit but a big potential leak point. He didn't have any firsthand experience with the Olympia stuff but had heard good things about it.

My big question is -- who HAS had firsthand experience with the Olympia Phantom or AST? The other thing I was concerned about with the AST is I don't see any mention of a zipper to connect the jacket to the pants, which I would like to have. I'm also slightly concerned it seems like it would be a bit... "flappy" at speed. Other than that it looks like a great jacket for touring and commuting.

I'll just link to my post a few pages back:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2393894&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=79#post366343687
There is an 8" zipper. I wish it were a full circumference, but oh well.

As for being flappy, the jacket has an adjustment at the waist and another in the elbows. Plus, in the cold, the liner fits pretty tight and has its own zipper. It'll fit looser than a good set of leathers, but it's acceptable. I've never had an issue at speed. The pants don't have any extra adjustments, but still less flapping at speed than a pair of jeans. The material is pretty heavy, so it doesn't get bothered by the wind.

When it's warmer out, there are zippers in the back of the jacket that prevents "ballooning".

EDIT:
You mentioned leaking. The jacket has a nice system where there is two huge-rear end flaps over the zipper. You do up the zipper, button the right-side flap over the zipper, then fold the left flap over the right one and button up the other side. I've yet to have a leak from it. There's a velcro neck enclosure that stops water from getting in through the top.

The ranger pants don't have quite as much rain protection in the zippers, but it's acceptable. There is a big flap ala a tongue on a shoe in the crotch under the zipper and a velcro flap over the top. Any water that gets through the zipper is caught by the flap underneath. The legs just have a velcro flap over the tops of the zippers, but the flaps face backwards so I don't get water through them at speed. The only bit of moisture I get it up the boots and under the pants. Not enough to bother me, though.

The 3/4 length jacket overlaps the tops of the pants by a good deal, so no water gets in where they connect.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 20, 2009

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

needknees posted:

Well, I took advantage of Buell's recent demise (and subsequent firesale pricing...) and picked up a 1125R last weekend :woop:

I have some old gear from my cb750f days a few years ago and found out apparently I've lost some weight. I've got a set of Dainese two piece leathers that are too big on me, and kind of annoying for commutting since I can't fit pants underneath the leathers. As such, I'm looking for some new gear... warm poo poo since it's going into winter :(.

I'm also going to need another set of gloves for the winter. I've currently got Alpinestars GP Plus's that have a few years on them but are still in pretty drat good shape, but they really don't offer much if anything in the way of warmth. Suggestions on cold weather gloves?

I'll be picking up some proper leathers late winter or early spring for more spirited riding / track use. Any particular ones I should consider?

It's awesome to be on a modern bike :)

Edit -- the Dianese leathers are up for grabs if anyone is needing a set. I'll get sizes later today. Anyone interested in a used but never crashed in set of leathers?

I have a Phantom; aside from some minor quality issues, it's worked for me in temperatures ranging from 90F to 30F, and conditions including bright sunshine, light snowfall, and everything in-between. It is as close to waterproof as you're going to get with motorcycle gear, by virtue of having separate leg and chest zippers, multi-layered flaps secured by velcro, some sort of exterior water-proofing treatment (seems like scotchguard), and a liner layer of rubber-like material.

It's not perfect, though. All of that velcro tends to get stuck on things, and some of the stitching for the outer cargo pockets has failed. Considering I've crashed in it twice now, though, I can't say for sure that the failures weren't due to that. It's not machine washable or dry-cleanable. Finally, it's a pain in the rear end to get into and out of it with the thermal liner in.

All in all, it does most things pretty well, and I'd definitely recommend it as a textile riding suit for general use.

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

Hypnolobster posted:

How are the Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants/jacket?

I'm on my second pair of Alter Ego pants, and they're my only piece of gear that gets worn the entire season.

The first pair met their demise in a 40mph lowside and did what textile is supposed to do, sacrifice itself to save skin. As always, textile is a compromise, I know they won't be that useful in a crash that involves more impact and/or sliding.

Temperature wise, I wear them without the liner for probably 70% of the season, with the textile/mesh strip in place as needed for chillier mornings. Recently it's dipped into the 30's in the mornings, and I am starting to feel a bit of a chill with the pants + liner on over khakis, but a pair of long underwear would probably extend them another 10-15 degrees lower.

I commute ~40 miles every weekday, and they're holding up well with just a little bit of wear in the mesh lining from my boots catching as I put them on. My only real critique would be the entirely under-built waist adjuster, as it loops over a thin plastic "ring" that loves to go sideways and pinch the adjuster belt. Not that huge a problem for myself, but I've heard from those with more..."jacket overhang" that the adjuster will never sit properly.

xan!
Aug 17, 2004

by elpintogrande
Well, it's starting to cool down now and my mesh jacket is now totally unsuitable for riding to work every morning. I'm in the market for a good, warm leather jacket that I could also use when it's a little warmer (like 80-85 degrees or so).

I've been looking at the Scorpion Stinger, the Icon Accelerant (although I'm kind of wary of Icon) and the A* GP Plus jackets. Has anyone used these? I'm open to suggestions too.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

phishnut posted:

edit. but, err, don't take my word for it!

"Bought one of these in the Kandahar PX and used it as a hood two years ago when the outside air temperature was 20 Fahrenheit with gusts up to 50 knots. That's windchill! (And Kandahar is Afghanistan's warm spot.) Our Kawasaki Mule was in the shop and we had to walk about 1.5 miles in that wind and cold from Aviation TOC past the civilian airport terminal. That headover saved me from frostbite. I have carried one ever since when the cold weather comes. Don't go to the Hindu Kush without one."

I have a thin one I picked up at a store, but immediately had my (now ex) girlfriend make me two of varying length and thickness, out of a very heavy duty fleece. Suffice to say fleece on the neck is awesome!!

e: also from that site, I found this, that some people might be interested in (my gear doesn't smell foul....yet) http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/t....ctx=level3.tam

UserNotFound fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 20, 2009

xan!
Aug 17, 2004

by elpintogrande
Update to buying a leather jacket: I just found the A* RC-1 jacket and got an instant hard-on. Anyone have experience with this jacket, specfically cold weather experience? And hot weather too, I guess.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Just got my Scorpion Strike textile from FedEx. Well, technically, my second - I originally ordered a small in accordance with Scorpion's size chart (said S: 36-38" chest; I measured at 37") but it was huge, so I exchanged for an XS (34-36" claimed) and it fits much better.

With the liner in the fit is pretty much spot on, though it's a bit bulky around the elbows and restricts movement a bit. With the liner out it's a bit loose, but everything is in place. I bought it for cold weather riding, though, so this is pretty much the fit I wanted.

The details of the jacket are very nice - vent zippers should be waterproof when closed, the zipper pulls tuck into these little rubber covers, etc. I haven't ridden with it yet, I can post more impressions if anyone cares once I do. It won't be long until I have a chance to test the waterproofness.

Lancek
May 31, 2007
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Does anybody have any recommendations on a pair of pants that could be used in 50 to 90 degree weather and not be ridiculously hot during the summer? I'd like to have leather if possible but I've also looked into some textiles as well. Finding something that seems like it would be able to keep my cool enough to ride and also protect me should I have a nasty fall is hard. I've scoped out a few pairs but nothing is really looking like a good balance between the two. If anybody has any recommendations or tips to look out for I'd greatly appreciate it.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

Cablekid posted:

Does anybody have any recommendations on a pair of pants that could be used in 50 to 90 degree weather and not be ridiculously hot during the summer? I'd like to have leather if possible but I've also looked into some textiles as well. Finding something that seems like it would be able to keep my cool enough to ride and also protect me should I have a nasty fall is hard. I've scoped out a few pairs but nothing is really looking like a good balance between the two. If anybody has any recommendations or tips to look out for I'd greatly appreciate it.

I have the perfect recommendation for you.

http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/convertible_textile_mesh_jackets_and_pants/tour_master/flex_textile_mesh_motorcycle_pants.html

These are convertible mesh/textile pants. I have had them for 2 seasons now and they are fantastic. I wear them in temperatures from freezing to boiling hot. With all the liners and the textile panels out, they are mesh and the air goes straight through them. If you put all the liners in, you have textile pants with a waterproof/windproof liner AND a quilted insulation liner. For big temperature ranges I really can't think of anything better.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Just got my Scorpion Strike textile from FedEx. Well, technically, my second - I originally ordered a small in accordance with Scorpion's size chart (said S: 36-38" chest; I measured at 37") but it was huge, so I exchanged for an XS (34-36" claimed) and it fits much better.

With the liner in the fit is pretty much spot on, though it's a bit bulky around the elbows and restricts movement a bit. With the liner out it's a bit loose, but everything is in place. I bought it for cold weather riding, though, so this is pretty much the fit I wanted.

The details of the jacket are very nice - vent zippers should be waterproof when closed, the zipper pulls tuck into these little rubber covers, etc. I haven't ridden with it yet, I can post more impressions if anyone cares once I do. It won't be long until I have a chance to test the waterproofness.

I care, please do. I rode in to work this morning with my JR Phoenix 5.0 mesh jacket and it was chilly.

I picked up some Cortech Scarab gloves last night and they are OK. They are a tad big but I guess that comes with the territory in a winter glove. At any rate, my hands stayed warm in the cold and didn't get all sweaty once it warmed up later in the ride.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Cablekid posted:

I've got these: http://www.olympiamotosports.com/mensairglidepant/menairglidepant.htm and loving love them (although I actually found the Women's sizing fit me better)

With the liner removed, they flow an INSANE amount of air, it's almost like wearing nothing at all. I wore then through Death Valley in the middle of August (122 degrees), as well as all the gently caress over the southwest US. If you wear just boxer shorts or something under them, they're good up to any temperature this planet can throw at you. Wearing jeans or pants under them, good down to around 60 degrees. Wearing the liner, I've ridden down to 35 degrees and been perfectly fine (at least, the bottom half of me was).

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

frozenphil posted:

I care, please do. I rode in to work this morning with my JR Phoenix 5.0 mesh jacket and it was chilly.

I picked up some Cortech Scarab gloves last night and they are OK. They are a tad big but I guess that comes with the territory in a winter glove. At any rate, my hands stayed warm in the cold and didn't get all sweaty once it warmed up later in the ride.

I also got the Scarab Winter recently, and they feel a bit more like snow glove than motorcycle gloves ('loose' fleece liner), but after 5 minutes, I realized it really didn't affect me much. I have a nice scar on a knuckle, and the edge of the knuckle protector kinda bothers me through the top of the glove if I've been working the clutch a lot and my fingers jam all the way into the tips of the glove. The padding seemed kinda thin there on top, so I may tuck a supple piece of leather or some kinda padding under there to remedy that annoyance and add some more protection. I'll wait to see how they wear in to see if the knuckle protector decides it want to sit in a more comfortable place on my hand.

Overall they're very nice and supple leather gloves that fit securely, have nice reinforcement in the wear areas, and I really don't think will be the failing point in my gear come nasty weather. A big plus is that the pinkie doesn't seem stupid long compared to the other fingers like a lot of gloves I've tried on. Styling wise, they're hard to beat for a winter glove, and I'm really interested in trying the non-winter Scarab come next season.

I also got my pair of Venture textile pants, but haven't had a chance to ride in them yet. Putting them on with the liner on to test the fit over jeans, I got tooooo hot in about 5-6 minutes. The XL fits me absolutely perfectly "6'1, 205ish lbs), and I don't need the waist cinch over pants with the liner, and they still fit snuggly without the liner over basketball shorts. Most of the waistband is pretty flexible, and they seemed pretty comfortable on my bike.

With all this protective cold weather gear, I feel like I should use it to go extreme sledding or something...

broadwayLamb
Apr 3, 2009

Gnaghi posted:

I have heated gloves and really think that's all you need unless you plan on riding for half a day or more below freezing temps. You can easily bundle up with thermal shirts and such, but you can't add layers to your hands. I had heated grips and hand guards on my Buell XB and they didn't do poo poo compared to the gloves.

I've had First Gear heated gloves for 2 years now and they really are awesome for winter riding. This year I got fed up with having so many layers on so I got their heated vest too. I've used it for 3 cold commutes so far and it's been great. Much easier than wearing a t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, and sweater under my jacket. I got the 65 watt model (they also make a 90 watt vest) and it and my gloves are toasty at 2/3 power on a sub 40 degree morning. The vest was about $170, so it is an investment, but since I ride year round it's worth it to me to be able to keep warm no matter how cold it is outside.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

frozenphil posted:

Well, I've gotten a chance to ride with it a bit. Last night I rode around at night, around 50F probably. Short-sleeve t-shirt, liner in, totally warm, even after my fingers (in winter gloves) and toes (in not-riding boots) got cold. And today I rode a bit in closer to 60F weather with a long-sleeve shirt on, liner out, and vents open - the vents seem to flow pretty well. Surprisingly, it wasn't raining today. Though I haven't ridden with it below 50F or above 40-45mph, I'm expecting that I'll stay pretty warm with it through winter, though I don't really ride below freezing.

My main complaint is the armor: the other two jackets I've had included shaped armor, where the shoulder and elbow pads were molded to their respective joints. In this jacket, the armor is the same in every place. The picture below shows shoulder armor (left two) and elbow armor (right two) compared to the Knox armor that came in my Corazzo jacket. The Scorpion stuff in CE-rated but they feel like flat pieces of memory foam in the pockets, so I swapped them out, and the armor fits in place much better now. Which reminds me: why can't every jacket have externally-accessible armor pockets? The elbow armor pockets on my Dainese tex/mesh have zippers on the outside. Way easier than fumbling around with Velcro inside a sleeve.

(the Scorpion pieces may look different, but I assure you it's just that the shoulder armor is currently more folded; they are identical)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 21, 2009

Entreri
Nov 8, 2005

Can anyone recommend a good pair of gel gloves to reduce handlebar vibrations?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Entreri posted:

Can anyone recommend a good pair of gel gloves to reduce handlebar vibrations?

I'd try other options first...different grips or a bar snake/filling your bars with sand. Cheaper and potentially more effective.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

Xanieth posted:

Update to buying a leather jacket: I just found the A* RC-1 jacket and got an instant hard-on. Anyone have experience with this jacket, specfically cold weather experience? And hot weather too, I guess.

Considering it has molded-in air vents, I'm going to guess that this jacket would be less than ideal for cold weather. Unless you can somehow block off those vents, in which case it might be fine, since it has no perforated panels.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
All geared up for the cold weather. Only problem is, it was 68 today, so no liners, and vents open!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I'm looking at picking up a set of leathers in the next month. Haven't decided on one or two piece yet; it will rarely be used for commuting, mostly for riding twisties and eventual track days.

My question is what is the best way to try on leathers? I know usually people wear under armor or less under them but I don't think the people at the shop would like me walking in like that to try on gear. I would guess a slightly tight fitting t-shirt should be fine for the top but am unsure on what to wear for the bottom? Do I just wear jeans and cram them into the pants/bottom of the suit or is there a better way?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm looking at picking up a set of leathers in the next month. Haven't decided on one or two piece yet; it will rarely be used for commuting, mostly for riding twisties and eventual track days.

My question is what is the best way to try on leathers? I know usually people wear under armor or less under them but I don't think the people at the shop would like me walking in like that to try on gear. I would guess a slightly tight fitting t-shirt should be fine for the top but am unsure on what to wear for the bottom? Do I just wear jeans and cram them into the pants/bottom of the suit or is there a better way?

I'm no expert at this, but there is no way in hell I'd be able to fit into my leathers while wearing jeans. I do fit into them just fine when wearing basketball shorts. If you find a place that lets you try 'em on, wear some shorts (even under your jeans if you need to). If they have a fitting room, boxers/briefs should be okay.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Do you have an underarmor shirt and leggings? If not, you should buy them for the sake of having them, they're essential when it comes to getting in and out of your leathers and keeping them sweat free.

If you do, I'd just toss them on under normal clothes and go try on leathers. They need to be tight fitting and if you can stuff jeans and clothes under them they are far too loose.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Z3n, Uthor thanks for the tips. I do have underarmor shirt and pants so I'm set as far as that goes. I don't think I remember seeing a fitting room there so I'll just wear some shorts and the underarmor shirt.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Well I just bought my bike and rode it home. :)

The leathers were quite comfy, of course they're designed to be worn in riding posture, so you don't notice them anywhere near as much as when you're trying to walk around in them. I guess they'll also loosen up in the high-flex areas too which will make them even more comfortable.

Will have to check out Underarmor or equivalent - I sweat like hell today (and it wasn't really even sunny for most of my ride), and keeping the leathers sweat free and making them easier to get on and off sound like great ideas!

Also, when I bought my leathers, the first thing the dude did was hand them to me and point me to the changeroom - I just had my normal undies on, like I presume most people do when they go in there. I wouldn't think of investing that kind of cash without a test fit, and any store who wouldn't let you try that gear on would be having a laugh, surely. Hell, I tried my gear on 3 separate times - first time to choose the gear, second time when the gear arrived in the store and I was back there looking at boots, and third time when I was actually picking it all up. The third time was their idea, to make absolutely sure everything fit right.

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 24, 2009

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Get a set of Skins to wear underneath, they're really good. They're on my list (when I can afford the $300 for them).

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Took advantage of the great deal Cycle Gear had on leathers today. Ordered a one piece that should be in around Wednesday for me to try on. I tried on a few jackets but the smallest they had was a 42 which is about as loose as my textile gear...looks like I'm a size 38.

On a side note CycleGear is having a pretty decent sale this weekend if anyone is looking to pick up gear.

Another side note I guess. I was debating between "real" winter gloves, good liners or brush guards to keep my hands warm when the temp drops below 40. I got a set of antifreeze liners this morning after talking to a few people and those combined with my heated grips kept my hands very comfortable when riding around this morning when the temp was below 40. Also bought a balaclava while I was at it...that makes such a difference I don't know why I didn't buy one sooner.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 25, 2009

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Get a set of Skins to wear underneath, they're really good. They're on my list (when I can afford the $300 for them).

Skins as in the compression garments for sporting which Rebel sell? I think that's what they're called, anyway..

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Saint Melmoth posted:

You can get a pair of neoprene thermal glove liners at any cycling (bicycle style cycling) shop for about $10-15. I use a pair under my winter gloves and the difference is very noticeable. If you don't live someplace where it gets really cold you can get a pair of t-shirt material ones even cheaper (try REI). Both liners will make a difference.

One thing that isn't being discussed as part of this and should is glove fit. If your gloves don't fit right they won't insulate properly. In my experience glove fit is the only area where salespeople at moto stores are less competent than helmet fit. You may, if you're lucky, get someone who knows how to fit a helmet. You will never get more than a glassy look and a nod when it comes to gloves.

Put your gloves on. Pinch them opposite the thumb. Can you pinch up the material? If so, they're too big. Probably much too big. Glove fit is a lot like helmet fit. If it doesn't feel too tight when it's new, it's too big.

On glove fit, I had the joe rocket blaster 4.0 gloves size medium. They seemed to fit ok, but it felt like it was stretching on the pinkies. Should it feel tight like that in all the fingers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Skins as in the compression garments for sporting which Rebel sell? I think that's what they're called, anyway..

Bingo.