Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Now, that is how constructive criticism should be told.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Great Went posted:

Hi, I know this is unsolicited, but I couldn't help point out a problem with your model, given that your other work is really good. His Frontal Eminence (frontal part of the head) is set way too high. It's actually something that I've noticed on most of your head sculptures (the Lithgow sculpt being one). Attached are two pics, one with what is generally considered ideal proportions (canon) and the other a Photoshop correction.

Again, I don't mean to step on any toes and I hope you don't take it the wrong way. Constructive criticism n' stuff.

Mate, that's really helpful, thanks a lot for making the effort. That's bang on too, I think I used to have a tendency to have the eyes
set too high in the head and now I seem to be overcorrecting the other way.

I'm trying to get better at modeling, art and observation in general, that's the reason why I keep modeling and posting it. I have no illusions about where I'm at
so I appreciate any criticisms at all and try to learn something from all of them.

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 30, 2010

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

EoinCannon posted:

Mate, that's really helpful, thanks a lot for making the effort. That's bang on too, I think I used to have a tendency to have the eyes

I'm trying to get better at modeling, art and observation in general, that's the reason why I keep modeling and posting it. I have no illusions about where I'm at
so I appreciate any criticisms at all and try to learn something from all of them.

Thats a nice attitude to have. Quite often I see this:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=43&t=863147

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Well CG-talk is a .. special bunch who gets their panties tied up in a knot over real criticism.

I got some flak from a few people for suggesting that it was a waste of time to try to get blender running an O2.

:doh:

Fortunately other people piped in support that using 10-15 year old workstations for 3d is a bad idea in 2010.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
CGTalk is good for the massive amount of people who view it and some of the competitions get some amazing artists taking part, there's also some Max wizards on there (Bobo, Paul Neale and others). As someone with no formal training, it helped me a lot when I was learning max. It can be a bit of a circlejerk sometimes and there is occasional amazingly stupid argument on there. That said, I haven't been browsing it that much recently so maybe I don't see as much of the crazy

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 31, 2010

The Great Went
Aug 21, 2007

by Ozmaugh

EoinCannon posted:

Cheers dude. I'm in school learning this stuff and even in a class environment, people get defensive.

Here's some measurement sheets to help out. I'm unsure of the source for the first one, but the second is definitely Andrew Loomis:

Click here for the full 1275x1647 image.

Click here for the full 1275x1755 image.

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006
Cgtalk has become the GBS of cg forums, I just go there for a laugh, not to mention now that it's full of people that have no loving clue about the industry but of course, they have an OPINION THAT MUST BE HEARD.

But the O2 thread is goddamn hilarious, I used one at my old job as a Data guy, it was running an old DTF2 tape deck, goddamn thing weighed like 60lbs.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
It's funny because it's true.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18486_the-5-miserable-vfx-jobs-that-make-movies-possible.html

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Saw that yesterday, it's excellent :)

Got some new work done!
It's a 2 bed holiday apartment.

Everything but the plants and hot tub is me, they're from archmodels. 2 1/2 days.

I've decided that i'm going to have a showreel done by summer. I've got all my scenes together ready to put cameras in, the order sorted and I want to start on my titles next :)

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

I've decided that i'm going to have a showreel done by summer. I've got all my scenes together ready to put cameras in, the order sorted and I want to start on my titles next :)

Heh whenever I update my reel the titles don't take long. But then it doesn't take long to put white text on a black background and fade in and out :doh:

Love the lighting in this one :)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

I've decided that i'm going to have a showreel done by summer.

I swear we've heard this one before! I dont know if I can take anymore broken promises!

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
If you were someone with no real 3d experience who wanted to get into it for architecture, which 3d programs would you learn? I have a mac but it can bootcamp into Windows if needed.

Zvezda
Dec 12, 2009
Looking good, cubicle gangster, very sharp :)

I started something a bit more ambitious than usual for me yesterday:

Viktor Tsoi, mainly based on this vid. Head was sculpted from the mudbox head (as that was all I was planning on doing), but I blocked out the body in Max. The arms/hands are placeholders until I get his guitar in.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The March Hare posted:

If you were someone with no real 3d experience who wanted to get into it for architecture, which 3d programs would you learn? I have a mac but it can bootcamp into Windows if needed.

3DS Max and Vray, as far as I know, are still staples in architectural viz.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

The March Hare posted:

I use Cinema 4d on mac but can't afford Vray atm which gives same results as max

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
I'd suggest Cinema4D with Vray with a little bit of apprehension. Max and Vray on the Windows side is about as much of a staple as you can get, however, last time I tried, the copy protection that Max uses gets broken by boot camp. Look around and see if this is still a problem.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Also you may have v-ray problems with c4d depending on if you're using 32 bit or 64 bit. One worked, one didn't, and somewhere along the line they both completely messed up and I couldn't seem to fix it. 3ds max and vray is pretty standard and recommended. especially the 3ds max Design versions that more geared towards architectural things. It's got some neat little extras.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
They aren't like 3dlite are they? I don't want to sacrifice potentially better textures and lighting for an easier/faster work flow.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Is vray for c4d properly supported? I thought the only in house ones were max and maya.

But yeah, if you have max & vray experience it should really help you find a job.

Mashed penguin - i'm going for a bit of a gimmick intro. City street, with the titles sprayed on the wall like graffiti. We dont have much on in work so I should get a good 6 hours of work on it today.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

Is vray for c4d properly supported? I thought the only in house ones were max and maya.

http://www.vrayforc4d.com/

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Seems they're only a couple of months behind the max one. Horrible site though.

edit: a days work.
I'm having doubts now, not sure what I want to do with it anymore, or even if it's worth carrying on with.
I was thinking animate the text doing something cool and have it on the white wall, instead of just written on the inside like i'd planned. But thats going to take ages and if it looks poo poo i'll be well annoyed.

I'm coming in on sunday and monday to go through old scenes, test them and get an early edit toegther using wires/old paths :)

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 1, 2010

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

Seems they're only a couple of months behind the max one. Horrible site though.

edit: a days work.
I'm having doubts now, not sure what I want to do with it anymore, or even if it's worth carrying on with.
I was thinking animate the text doing something cool and have it on the white wall, instead of just written on the inside like i'd planned. But thats going to take ages and if it looks poo poo i'll be well annoyed.

I'm coming in on sunday and monday to go through old scenes, test them and get an early edit toegther using wires/old paths :)

This is cool, and personally I think you should do your own Banksy-esque graffiti on the wall. Make it (more?*) photoreal and people will ask where you took this "photo" because they love the graffiti.

*things that hit me were the massive random glare on the tiling, the trees (as if there'd be an underpass like this with such lush vegetation nearby - or at least it'd be more believable if it wasn't there) and then something about those railings. Not enough specular?

p.s. Sorry if I'm missing the point.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
So I watched Clash of the Titans in 3D and I was wondering how do you go about turning a 2D film into 3D in post production? If you record with two cameras in 3D from the start thats fine, but how do they turn a pre-recorded flat 2D image of live action into 3D after it has been filmed?

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer

Applebee123 posted:

So I watched Clash of the Titans in 3D and I was wondering how do you go about turning a 2D film into 3D in post production? If you record with two cameras in 3D from the start thats fine, but how do they turn a pre-recorded flat 2D image of live action into 3D after it has been filmed?

Well, they'd probably generate somekind of Zdepth map through an algorithm. Or something like that. But thats never going to look proper 3d, more like one of those paper theaters with moving cardboard characters.

a computer
Feb 22, 2008

International Log posted:

Well, they'd probably generate somekind of Zdepth map through an algorithm. Or something like that. But thats never going to look proper 3d, more like one of those paper theaters with moving cardboard characters.

That's how 'proper 3D' looks to me in the cinema, anyway.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
I remember seeing the preview for that god-awful Piranha movie that converted to 3d in post. It was a mess. The different 3D layers were all out of order. There was one shot of someone bouncing on a trampoline up toward the camera. However, at the peak of their jump, they looked about as far from the camera as the ground plane and the trampoline itself was deeper in the scene than the surface it was resting on. I'm amazed they thought it was acceptable to use as marketing. Almost every shot was like that. 3D strains my eyes by the time the movie is over, but that preview seriously had my head hurting in just a few seconds.

Hopefully Clash of the Titans got a better result.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Applebee123 posted:

I'm not sure about huge-budget ones, but for an IMAX 3d conversion, people spend many, many hours splitting the fore/background elements into different layers, offsetting them in z-space then repainting anything in the background that would be covered from the new camera angle -- think After Effects 2.5D...

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT FUCKIN' TRANNIES HARASSING GLORIOUS UNIMPEACHABLE WEBCOMIC ARTIST TOM SIDDELL WITH THEIR FALSE CLAIMS TO VICTIMHOOD, THE CODDLED FUCKS! STIFF UPPER LIP! I'M A TREMENDOUS JACKASS WHO CAN'T FATHOM ANYTHING OUTSIDE MY BUBBLE! TUMBLRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
After seeing the work in this thread and elsewhere, I'm embarrassed to post my portfolio. My work is still so simplistic and rough on the edges. But for some reason I wasn't ridiculed the last time I posted it here, so let's see what you guys have to say about the improved version. Any comments are MUCH appreciated.

http://djurdjica.net63.net/
(I'll be getting a proper domain soon.)

Miraculously, the last portfolio has actually landed me jobs(!). As most of you advised, this time round I ditched the PDF format and went with a website (which made sense to me as well, I just didn't have the time and resources for it back then). I've also been learning and working with V-ray. This portfolio is more of an "oh dear, what can I scrape up together quickly, ugh, this'll have to do" than "man I'm good."

I have a white version of the website too, but I decided on black because it accented the artwork better, it was more forgiving. White seems more professional, while black has the "fancy" effect. Anyway, thanks in advance for any input you can spare.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

Travakian posted:

I'm not sure about huge-budget ones, but for an IMAX 3d conversion, people spend many, many hours splitting the fore/background elements into different layers, offsetting them in z-space then repainting anything in the background that would be covered from the new camera angle -- think After Effects 2.5D...

My main wonder was where the "new view" of an object came from in 2D to 3D. I.e the new side of a box you couldn't see in the left eye came from. When you say repainting do you mean just literally painting by hand in photoshop on top of the frames to a photoreal standard, in the new "empty" space?

Edit: Actually now that I think about it couldn't you use that method to make traditonal drawn animation into 3d? Could disney make their next movie like the princess and the frog in 3d Hand drawn animation?

Applebee123 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 3, 2010

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
Disney could have done 3D animation waaaaay back in the day if they wanted to. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplane_camera

Use two offset cameras instead of one!

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

DefMech posted:

Disney could have done 3D animation waaaaay back in the day if they wanted to. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplane_camera

Use two offset cameras instead of one!

to steal from TFR, "Just because you can doesn't mean you should."

Flex Mentallo
Mar 14, 2001

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!
A while ago I got hold of a box of plastic red/blue 3D glasses, so I had this retarded idea for how to horribly turn any movie into 3D.
Basically just offset one eyes viewpoint by a number of frames, so it's pretty dumb but if you have a clip that pans a lot left/right it almost kinda works.

Here's some avisynth scripts if anyone wants to see what it looks like:

Crosseyed version:
code:
File = "C:\obviously\Avatar.2009.TELESYNC.avi"
Offset = 2
Right = DirectShowSource(File)
Right = ConvertToRGB32(Right)
Left = Trim(Right,Offset,0)
Background = BlankClip(length=Right.FrameCount, width=Right.Width*2, height=Right.Height, fps=Right.FrameRate, color=$000000)
Layer1 = Layer(Background, Left, "add", 257, Right.Width, 0)
Layer(Layer1, Right, "add", 257, 0, 0)
AudioDubEX(Right)
Anaglyphic version:
code:
File = "C:\obviously\Avatar.2009.TELESYNC.avi"
Offset = 2
Right = DirectShowSource(File)
Right = ConvertToRGB24(Right)
Left = Trim(Right,Offset,0)
MergeRGB(Left.ShowRed, Right.ShowGreen, Right.ShowBlue)
AudioDubEX(Right)
Just paste the script into a text editor, edit the file path and save as filename.avs.
Open the .avs in any player that supports it after you've installed avisynth, like media player classic.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rasselas posted:

After seeing the work in this thread and elsewhere, I'm embarrassed to post my portfolio. My work is still so simplistic and rough on the edges. But for some reason I wasn't ridiculed the last time I posted it here, so let's see what you guys have to say about the improved version. Any comments are MUCH appreciated.

http://djurdjica.net63.net/

I dont know why you're so down on yourself. What you've posted looks fine! Except the digital paintings page, I'd hide that until you've got something that matches the polish of your 3D stuff.

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT FUCKIN' TRANNIES HARASSING GLORIOUS UNIMPEACHABLE WEBCOMIC ARTIST TOM SIDDELL WITH THEIR FALSE CLAIMS TO VICTIMHOOD, THE CODDLED FUCKS! STIFF UPPER LIP! I'M A TREMENDOUS JACKASS WHO CAN'T FATHOM ANYTHING OUTSIDE MY BUBBLE! TUMBLRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Thank you, that means a lot! I've gotten a similar comment about the paintings from a friend, so I should probably do something about it. My tablet is poo poo and I had a lousy monitor when I painted them. I've put them there to pad the portfolio a bit and show some versatility. I'll have to rethink it.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

tuna posted:

stuff

Not missing the point at all, this is cool :)
The glare is due to a hole at the other end of the underpass, i'll fill that in - I'll sort the railings out too.
I've been going on a bit of a lush vegetation thing at the moment, it's not very realistic but clients love it. I might just orange up the leaves and desaturate them a little, make it slightly less healthy.

The banksy-style design is a good idea - I remember seeing an after effects plugin for distorting text/automatically building it up too so I might just do a single image and have the text 'name/2010 showreel' flicker in around it.
Does anyone know which one I mean too? Had a quick look round and cant remember the name.

edit: I may have been thinking of twitch by video co pilot. Not sure if that'll do what I want actually.

Rasselas: Your 3d portfolio is pretty much fine :)
The only thing i'd change is the church building - the windows on one part are well detailed but then theres a huge amount of blank space on the walls, entrance and roof. I'd say you should detail the rest of it up to the same standard.
The others show a decent understanding of max/vray though, you know how they work and it's just doing poo poo with it now - more structured and bigger projects.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 4, 2010

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
The new max is loving awesome, if anyones on subscription.

Material editor rocks my world, this is what i've wanted for years. might be a while before we use the new max though.

However the standalone combustion replacement is incredible. They've made no attempts to hide that it's just a toxik re-badge...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flex Mentallo
Mar 14, 2001

This is just crazy, demo from breakpoint last weekend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5w7Gh7WBjw

You can download it if you wanna try and run it yourself, my 9800gtx couldn't keep up so you probably need something faster. Best reason to get a new graphics card yet though.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

cubicle gangster posted:

However the standalone combustion replacement is incredible. They've made no attempts to hide that it's just a toxik re-badge...

They never claimed otherwise. Composite had a ton of new features added during the time I was on Maya 2011 beta. Cant say I used it though. Nuke pretty much has all I need.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Flex Mentallo posted:

This is just crazy, demo from breakpoint last weekend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5w7Gh7WBjw

You can download it if you wanna try and run it yourself, my 9800gtx couldn't keep up so you probably need something faster. Best reason to get a new graphics card yet though.

This seems really cool. What is it? Looks similar to the "unlimited detail" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flex Mentallo
Mar 14, 2001

sigma 6 posted:

This seems really cool. What is it? Looks similar to the "unlimited detail" thing.
It's actually "just" a whole lot of particles, here's a blog post describing a bit how it works http://directtovideo.wordpress.com/2009/10/06/a-thoroughly-modern-particle-system/

quote:

However, particles in the offline rendering / film world have changed a lot. Counts in the millions, amazing rendering, fluid dynamics controlling the motion. Renderers like Krakatoa have produced some amazing images and animations. I spent some time looking around on the internet at all sorts of references and tried to nail down what those renderers had but I didn’t – and therefore needed. This is something I do a lot when developing new effects or demos. Why bother looking at what’s currently done realtime? That’s already been done.

I decided on the following key things I needed:
1. Particle count. I want more. I want to be able to render sand or smoke or dust with particles. That means millions. 1 million would be a good start.
2. Spawning. Instead of just spawning from a simple emitter, I want to be able to spawn them using images or meshes.
3. Movement. I want to apply fluid dynamics to the particles to make them behave more like smoke or dust. And I want to morph them into things, like meshes or images – not just use the usual attractors and forces.
4. Shading. To look better the particles really need some form of lighting – to look like millions of little things forming a single solid-ish whole, not millions of little things moving randomly and independently.
5. Sorting. Good shading implies not additive blending, which implies sorting.