Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It's a little more interesting when you overlay vinyl sales and total album sales. People aren't buying music, period.

Ok, maybe it's not.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 31, 2015

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
What's this, a properly scaled graph with accurate and labeled y axis and no fancy logarithmic scale or offsets? Someone clearly hasn't been paying attention to how audiophiles sell snakeoil make convincing arguments!

Although i'm curious to see a current dataset including 13 and 14 and a legend with precise category definitions or how the data was aggregated.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

RoadCrewWorker posted:

What's this, a properly scaled graph with accurate and labeled y axis and no fancy logarithmic scale or offsets? Someone clearly hasn't been paying attention to how audiophiles sell snakeoil make convincing arguments!

Although i'm curious to see a current dataset including 13 and 14 and a legend with precise category definitions or how the data was aggregated.

Oh yeah, I didn't see it ended at 2012. There's definitely going to be a teeny uptick in the vinyl side for 13 and 14, like that first graph shows.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Me too. Recent data I don't know where to find, but there's good info up to 2009 here: http://www.businessinsider.com/these-charts-explain-the-real-death-of-the-music-industry-2011-2

Vinyl's not going to get legs again, it's just a boutique market now.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

88h88 posted:

Do any audiophiles use things like RTA? It's kinda standard in my PA kit but I've never seen anything like it in an audiophile environment which is weird considering they're supposedly looking for perfection in audio quality and that's a decent investment in doing so.

...or would that just be too easy/cheap?

Forget RTA, what about RT60 / RT30? Phase alignment and positioning for an even dispersion and summation at a designated listening position? Hell, do most people actually choose a box with a dispersion pattern remotely suited to their room, and then look at wavelets to determine what axial room modes to treat? Or perhaps STIPA for intelligibility if accuracy really is your bag?

There are literally endless important measurements that happen in any good quality modern bar/club/arena installation, but don't seem to get a look in on audiophile stuff.

The guys over at DIYAudio forums and a few others at least seem to push REW and ask people for measurements and photos to offer advice on what to do to improve the end result.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

An example of how audiophiles (Head-Fi in particular) tend to miss the big picture in their endless repetition of audiophile memes.

They keep harping on about how the 600 ohm version of the DT 880 headphones sounds so much better than the "lesser" 250 ohm and 32 ohm versions, since it's touted as targeted more towards audiophiles with separate headphone amps. All kinds of superlative praise is heaped on that version, claims of more bass, smoother treble, more midrange clarity, the whole shebang.

But what happened when someone actually blind tested between the 250 ohm and 600 ohm versions? Completely indistinguishable! And on measurements, they show less difference in frequency response etc. than something like the AKG K701 and 702, which are literally 100% identical apart than the color.

There's nothing more satisfying than when people get a good dose of objective reality.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

KozmoNaut posted:

There's nothing more satisfying than when people get a good dose of objective reality.
Didn't you get the memo? ABX is anything but objective or reality.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
If you looking for useful info or reviews other than on cheapo gear on Head-Fi, you are at the wrong place.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Palladium posted:

If you looking for useful info or reviews other than on cheapo gear on Head-Fi, you are at the wrong place.

Joker's review threads are awesome.

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.
I was talking to my mate tonight and he wants to buy a Valve amp, decent quality. He wants to pair it with a pair of KEF R300's and a Pro-Ject Xperience turntable.

He asked my advice but even though i've been into stereo for years, know very little about Valve amps.

What would you recommend?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

But what happened when someone actually blind tested between the 250 ohm and 600 ohm versions? Completely indistinguishable! And on measurements, they show less difference in frequency response etc. than something like the AKG K701 and 702, which are literally 100% identical apart than the color.

ABX is dumb and won't work, because music is art and science can't quantify art. It can also be thrown off by having parts of the system set up wrong, where the distortion can overwhelm the part you are trying to hear, eg cables being plugged in the wrong way or CDs being played live without an anti-jitter treatment.

I'd also be very interested to know the set-up they chose; were each set equally burned in with (at least) 200 hours of white noise?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Khablam posted:

ABX is dumb and won't work, because music is art and science can't quantify art. It can also be thrown off by having parts of the system set up wrong, where the distortion can overwhelm the part you are trying to hear, eg cables being plugged in the wrong way or CDs being played live without an anti-jitter treatment.

I'd also be very interested to know the set-up they chose; were each set equally burned in with (at least) 200 hours of white noise?

It doesn't say directly in the POST OF GREAT REVELATION, but I'm fairly sure that he posted something earlier in the thread about hundreds of hours of burn-in or something to that effect.

So yeah, of course he performed the proper burn-in. He's a Head-Fi user, fer chrissakes :rolleyes:

And sort of related, I have had a revelation of my own, after listening to my dad's band practicing (he's a drummer). Those "piercing highs" and "almost too strong treble" of the DT-880s? That is actually how cymbals sound in real life, at least when you're listening to actual drums close up, and not from the 200th row at a stadium concert. Piercing, clear and bright. I can totally see why some people hate these headphones, they're extremely neutral and very close to completely flat. They've made some of my favorite music sound like it was recorded in a bedroom, very "dry" sound (lacking reverb and bottom end etc.) with no fullness in the drums and so on. But that's because those tracks were actually recorded in small studios with deliberately scaled-down production values.

On other more well-produced tracks, stuff like the snap of a snare drum is just perfectly 'snappy', exactly the way I like it. Every drum has a bit of bass to its sound, even the snare. I want to hear that. I want to hear every breath, every fingernail on the strings, every resonance in the guitar body, every little bit of rosin on the bow string. I'm probably weird like that, I don't want my music to sound "fun" or "party-like" or "booming bass, bro", I want it to sound exactly like what is on the recording, warts and all.

And that's enough borderline-audiophile bullshit from me. I just love these headphones. They're not for everyone, but they're definitely for me.

And I've only burned them in for ~5-6 hours so far ;)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Feb 2, 2015

Gimperial
Oct 5, 2006

And then there was silence...

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/02/pono-player-review-a-tall-refreshing-drink-of-snake-oil/

Ars' review of the Pono.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Khablam posted:

Wow do you even know anything about audio? Cables must be burned in using PINK NOISE. Using white noise just gets you cables that are burned in on the high end but muddy and indistinct on the lows.

...I now feel like I should put together a 'cable burninator' and sell it for $600. I'll sell a burninator that does it in half the time for $1500. :mmmsmug:

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

88h88 posted:

Wow do you even know anything about audio? Cables must be burned in using PINK NOISE. Using white noise just gets you cables that are burned in on the high end but muddy and indistinct on the lows.

...I now feel like I should put together a 'cable burninator' and sell it for $600. I'll sell a burninator that does it in half the time for $1500. :mmmsmug:

Bespoke artisanal frequency spectrum profiles.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

88h88 posted:

You're way behind the times:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue47/cablecooker.htm

http://www.haglabs.com/collections/break-in-devices

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Mine will actually burn the cables though, to show that they're pumping hardcore current down them. Your cables ain't poo poo if they're not hot to the point of glowing (firing a million volts down them widens the signal path lowering the s/n ratio giving the music a far wider path to travel down adding a more accurate soundstage etc etc etc blah blah blah...)

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Holy poo poo, there really is a sucker born every minute.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

88h88 posted:

Mine will actually burn the cables though, to show that they're pumping hardcore current down them. Your cables ain't poo poo if they're not hot to the point of glowing (firing a million volts down them widens the signal path lowering the s/n ratio giving the music a far wider path to travel down adding a more accurate soundstage etc etc etc blah blah blah...)

High voltage won't do anything, apart from being a major safety hazard.

To really warm up the sound, you need amperage, and lots of it. Normal 18AWG lamp cord is rated to carry 13A, and thicker cable will obviously be able to carry more.

I figure you should start out with a "low burn" at 20A, just to get things going. Then increase gradually in steps of 5A until your house burns down sufficient warmth has been achieved.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

And that's enough borderline-audiophile bullshit from me. I just love these headphones. They're not for everyone, but they're definitely for me.

Yeah, the Beyerdynamic DT880 are seriously top notch headphones. A lot of headphones have garbage transient response, especially in the bass, but the DT880 are one of the few headphones that don't have this issue. Its so good that you can easily tackle that treble spike that some people find bothersome by EQing down the 5kHz - 10kHz region by a few decibels.

Were the DT880 born as a studio headphone? Its funny how to bothered to put damping material into the DT880 while completely omit this with their audiophile T series.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

KozmoNaut posted:

High voltage won't do anything, apart from being a major safety hazard.

To really warm up the sound, you need amperage, and lots of it. Normal 18AWG lamp cord is rated to carry 13A, and thicker cable will obviously be able to carry more.

I figure you should start out with a "low burn" at 20A, just to get things going. Then increase gradually in steps of 5A until your house burns down sufficient warmth has been achieved.

And it has to be DC, because that actually makes electrons flow in one direction. AC would just make them oscillate in the same position which makes the soundstage static.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

So who wants to make the kickstarter and get rich?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Chafe posted:

Were the DT880 born as a studio headphone? Its funny how to bothered to put damping material into the DT880 while completely omit this with their audiophile T series.

Beyerdynamic have always been prominent in the studio/recording industry, and a bunch of their consumer model have their roots in the pro audio segment, especially the 770s, 880s and 990s. The difference between the consumer and pro versions of those? The pros clamp a little harder on your head, and they come in slightly different colors. That's it.

That Beyerdynamic is a pro audio company at heart is fairly evident. They still make products that look like this, in TYOOL 2015:

"Don't fix what isn't broken".

Similarly, I have had a set of DT-231s for longer than I can honestly remember, but I do know that I bought them to use with a discman many years ago. Those headphones have been through just about every kind of abuse, but they just keep on trucking, despite running over the cable with my office chair, having them yanked off my head by the cable, that sort of thing.

They still make them, probably 100% unchanged, and they're an amazing bargain for how great they sound. Lately, a DT-235 model has come along in the consumer section of the site, which is completely identical apart from slightly larger frequency range (2hz in the bass, 2kHz in the treble. On paper, at least), and it comes in white and black instead of drab green. Every replacement part has the exact same part number between the two.

Similarly, there are the DT-234 and MMX2 headset versions. Again, the only differences seems to be drab green vs. black, a slightly wider frequency range and maybe higher sensitivity on the consumer model. Again the spare parts are completely identical. But because the DT-234 is sold for "professional intercom applications" and the MMX2 is sold for "gaming and multimedia", the latter is cheaper and comes with a USB audio interface.

Product segmentation :allears:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 2, 2015

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Probably the wrong thread to ask, but I currently use a pair of DT990s - is there a huge difference between them and the 880s?

Edit: I use them for studio monitoring and mixing - usually at night when I can't crank up the HR824s.

synthetik fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 2, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

synthetik posted:

Probably the wrong thread to ask, but I currently use a pair of DT990s - is there a huge difference between them and the 880s?

Edit: I use them for studio monitoring and mixing - usually at night when I can't crank up the HR824s.

I haven't heard the 990s, but supposedly they have a more "fun" or "lively" sound. Think "graphic EQ with the bass and treble slightly boosted", where the 880s are more "flat" or "neutral" in their sound.

They're also priced identically on Beyerdynamic's site, which supports the idea that they're equally good headphones, but made for slightly different tastes.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

synthetik posted:

DT990 is your typical fun headphone with huge midbass and treble hump:

DT880 is a lot more even:

Decay measurements are better on the DT880 but the DT990 isn't horrible or anything (its really good). Its far better than, say, your typical Grado or AKG headphone that can sound sibilant and just plain nasty.

Chafe fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 2, 2015

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
I think I might be going crazy but I also think I hear differences between DACs. I know that there is a unique sum of sine waves for a given set of samples, but I guess the real difference is in the filtering stage?

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Thanks! I might have too see if I can do a swap with someone, I have noticed differences in mastering between headphones and monitors, but I don't think I ever put two and two together.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

^^^^ There's a big difference in sound between my Adam A5Xs and my DT-880s. Despite the much-vaunted high-performance ART-X tweeter in the Adams, there's a lot more treble in the Beyerdynamics. I wouldn't say it's "better" as such, but it's definitely more prominent. But of course, that sort of thing can be tuned with a bit of high shelf and tweeter level tweaking on the monitors. That's what those control are for, anyway.

Chill Callahan posted:

I think I might be going crazy but I also think I hear differences between DACs. I know that there is a unique sum of sine waves for a given set of samples, but I guess the real difference is in the filtering stage?

Well, depending on how those DACs are implemented, there could be audible differences.

For instance, some audiophiles insist on using NOS (non-oversampling) DACs or filterless DACs, which will definitely have some audible effects compared to a properly-implemented DAC.

When you say "DAC", do you plug it into your existing stereo, or do you plugs your headphones directly into it? Different headphone outputs can have different output impedances, and that can actually have an audible effect if the output impedance is to high compared to the impedance of your headphones.

Can you give a rundown of what you're using?

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 2, 2015

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
I plug in different sources (DAC in my TV, phone, iPod, noisy soundcard in my computer, CD player, discrete DAC, etc.) to my amp powering a set of speakers and hear (what I think) subtle differences between all of them.

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET
Do you have a friend you can bring over maybe to DBT, or would that be inconvenient?

My gut is that it's more likely it's just a loudness difference in the output, but maybe that's because I'm a philistine with poor hearing who's been fooled by that.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
It's likely not differences the DACs you're hearing but the probably the line-level output preamp in each of those devices that vary widely.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
I have a VU meter and made sure that they were at approximately the same levels. Maybe I'll get a friend over and do a ABX test.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm going to tell you the strange story of a weird, cheap little dj mixer that had not one but two built in usb DACs. Well, it isn't all that exciting, it's just that I had my motherboard's Realtek AC97 going into that mixer as well and by switching default output devices in Windows, you could easily compare them. Same file playing at the same level, going to the same amp and speakers. And there was a huge difference. Whatever went through the mixer's DAC would have a bunch of high frequency content rolled off and would noticably have less stereo separation than what came out of the AC97 (which isn't a great chip to begin with). It really was pretty bad for being noticable on even a cheap set of 2.1 computer speakers.

That's probably still partly line-level output preamp differences, but I'm thinking the high frequency roll off might have been related to a worse filter in the DACs. Can't think what other lowpass filter there would be in or before the preamp stage. Correct me if that's a bad assumption, though.

Anyway, that was a case where most other external factors were excluded. You rarely get that close to a comparison as clean cut as that.

e. That was a new mixer in 2009 I think, if it makes a difference at all.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 2, 2015

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm going to tell you the strange story of a weird, cheap little dj mixer that had not one but two built in usb DACs. Well, it isn't all that exciting, it's just that I had my motherboard's Realtek AC97 going into that mixer as well and by switching default output devices in Windows, you could easily compare them. Same file playing at the same level, going to the same amp and speakers. And there was a huge difference. Whatever went through the mixer's DAC would have a bunch of high frequency content rolled off and would noticably have less stereo separation than what came out of the AC97 (which isn't a great chip to begin with). It really was pretty bad for being noticable on even a cheap set of 2.1 computer speakers.

That's probably still partly line-level output preamp differences, but I'm thinking the high frequency roll off might have been related to a worse filter in the DACs. Can't think what other lowpass filter there would be in or before the preamp stage. Correct me if that's a bad assumption, though.

Anyway, that was a case where most other external factors were excluded. You rarely get that close to a comparison as clean cut as that.

e. That was a new mixer in 2009 I think, if it makes a difference at all.

Motherboard sound is nearly invariably garbage due to EMI and various other bullshit. :ms:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

Motherboard sound is nearly invariably garbage due to EMI and various other bullshit. :ms:
And that made the usb DACs built into the mixer noticably worse how?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

And that made the usb DACs built into the mixer noticably worse how?

What mixer is it? I have a Behringer Q802 USB, and it's a noisy piece of hot garbage.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

KillHour posted:

What mixer is it? I have a Behringer Q802 USB, and it's a piece of hot garbage.
I've been trying to remember and if it's not the StageLine MPX-300 USB, it's a very similar one of the same brand. Which makes a wide variety of hot garbage.

e. Want to say that I do know the difference between bad signal to noise level, which I'd expect, and frequency roll off or bad stereo separation.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Chill Callahan posted:

I plug in different sources (DAC in my TV, phone, iPod, noisy soundcard in my computer, CD player, discrete DAC, etc.) to my amp powering a set of speakers and hear (what I think) subtle differences between all of them.

There will definitely be large difference in output levels. The Red Book (audio CD) standard stipulates a maximum of 2Vrms output at 0dBFS, most non-portable consumer electronics have adopted this standard. So two different CD players should theoretically output at the exact same level, but small variations do exist, obviously.

For portable electronics, the landscape is a hell of a lot more complicated. Output levels can vary wildly, based available battery power, EU regulated maximum SPL and all kinds of other stuff.

To give you a guideline, an iPhone will output 1Vrms at 0dBFS and the volume set to 100%. A lot of players can't even deliver that much.

So it's very likely that you're simply hearing minute level differences. Even a 0.1dB difference can have an effect on whether you perceive the sound as better or worse.

Chill Callahan posted:

I have a VU meter and made sure that they were at approximately the same levels. Maybe I'll get a friend over and do a ABX test.

You have to pretty darn precise with level matching, within 0.1dB.

There could very well be a difference, especially if some of your hardware is old (pre-90s, pretty much) and/or super cheap.

That said, even super cheap DACs are actually good enough that their limits lie beyond the limits of human hearing, and thus any difference is mostly academic.