Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

This was taken with a 600mm and a DSLR in APS-C crop mode on a cheap fluid head (Miller Series II 20), and it's about as good as you can expect without shelling out over $1000 or getting lucky and finding something old and sturdy for cheap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHBUHVzIsN0
There's still a bit of shakiness in there (standing outside for a couple hours during dusk in winter was probably a factor), but anything less than a fluid head would have been significantly worse. Larger/newer fluid heads will have better drag to smooth out rough motion, but they get super expensive very quick. Most of the professional wildlife videographers out there use something in the $3000-8000 range. I usually use an old Cartoni that was about $700 after I got all the replacement parts it needed, and it works pretty well but is significantly heavier than its contemporary equivalent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Pablo Bluth posted:

I've taken video with my gimbal head, and while it's better than hand-held, it doesn't really help in achieving the smooth movements that a video needs to look professional. The lightness of free movement that a gimbal gives is kind of what you don't want when shooting video.

I've seen some people recommending a light tension on a gimbal head combined with using a rubber band to pull around the camera. No idea how well it works in practice but in principle it'd be closer to a fluid head than a purely gimballed approach.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\/\ I saw that rubber-band trick in a video once, I think they were using it on the handle of a pan/tilt head.

I was using my cheap gimbal head when I made the loons video I posted above. I tried to move the camera smoothly (well, more smoothly, a bit) by pulling on the camera strap, but I had the head set such that it wasn't going to move up or down, but could rotate easily. Near the end of the video you can see me realize the birds have moved vertically almost out of frame so I had to loosen that knob and re-adjust. At that point I also re-focused, later than I should have.

Video is hard work. But I'm really enjoying it.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Did you get any good hornbill shots? Hornbills own.
As requested

Red-billed Hornbill

Eastern Yellow-billed Hornbill

Von Der Decken's Hornbill

Southern Ground Hornbill

Here's a heavy crop of one with a giant centipede

And here's a shot that got away of two yellow-bills fighting :(

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

InternetJunky posted:

As requested

Red-billed Hornbill

Eastern Yellow-billed Hornbill

Von Der Decken's Hornbill

Southern Ground Hornbill

Here's a heavy crop of one with a giant centipede

And here's a shot that got away of two yellow-bills fighting :(

They should just call them banana-beaks.

Those are all great. Centipede one is :stare: and I like to imagine the fighting bird on the left just bird-suplexed the bird on the right.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

Rotten Cookies posted:

Those are all great. Centipede one is :stare: and I like to imagine the fighting bird on the left just bird-suplexed the bird on the right.

My thoughts exactly. Great shots!

I've been too busy to get out of the house, so I've just been stalking the hummingbirds in my backyard. Not great light where the hummingbirds like to fly/land, so these are all noisy and high ISO. I think these are Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds?

Ruby-throated Hummingbird by zacharytong, on Flickr

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Nice hummingbird pics, but isn't it a little early to have christmas lights up?

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

Bubbacub posted:

Nice hummingbird pics, but isn't it a little early to have christmas lights up?

Haha, we use them in my backyard to light our patio at night. Because we are hobos and haven't bothered to buy real outdoor lights yet :v:

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

polyfractal posted:

Hummingbirds
Yeah, those look like ruby-throateds (assuming you're not on the west coast). Nice closeups!

Fantastic. I've been loving your Kenya photos so far.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Some more birds from Kenya:

Little Bee-eaters

Somali Bee-eater

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

Moon Potato posted:

Yeah, those look like ruby-throateds (assuming you're not on the west coast). Nice closeups!

I live on the east coast -- South Carolina :ohdear:

InternetJunky posted:

Little Bee-eaters

Somali Bee-eater

Holy wow these are gorgeous birds and shots. Good work!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Holy crap InternetJunkie, those are fantastic.

Which lens were you using?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Wow, those are beautiful. Can I assume those are fairly heavily cropped? How'd you keep the details so crisp?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I'm simultaneously thrilled and bummed with this one. Probably the best loon photo I'll ever take, but I'm also a moron who didn't check his camera settings before shooting. I think this will go in the "good enough for facebook" category...

Toolik-loon-v2 1741 on Flickr

Is this an actual Yellow-Billed Loon? If so, where'd you take it? I'm seriously jealous.

ExecuDork posted:

I don't know about Africa, but I've talked to a few Australians in Canada and they talk about how the birds here are smaller and less colourful, but have beautiful songs. North American songbirds sing all the drat time compared to Aussie birds, and there are fewer birds in N.A. that just croak at you.

That may be true for Australia, but I've heard European birders say that although their birds are more drab than North American birds they have better songs. Specifically about old world Warblers versus new world wood-warblers. If you pick up a Collins Bird Guide you will see that old world warblers are drab as gently caress.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

InternetJunky posted:

Little Bee-eaters

That's not a bee though!!!

awesome shots, can't wait to see the rest

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

InternetJunky posted:

As requested

Hornbills

Rad.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I love the Bee-eaters and wish I could have spent more time with them (the other people on my safari were not as interested in birds as me unfortunately).

Pukestain Pal posted:

Wow, those are beautiful. Can I assume those are fairly heavily cropped? How'd you keep the details so crisp?
Not really heavily cropped at all. I'm shooting with a 600 + 1.4 so I have a lot of reach to start with, plus with bee-eaters you just have to watch what branches they prefer and then camp them out, since they will fly out to get a bug and then return to the same spot to eat it.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

5B4A9909 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Found a few okay (but not great) shots I originally skipped over in my Iceland set.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

tern feeding by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

This is poo poo because it was overcast and I didn't have anything longer than 300mm. Next time I'll take a proper bird lens.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Decided to go out after work to try to clear my head a bit. Ran into this guy again and he was willing to let me get closer than the other side of the pond.

TIM_4909.jpg by t.humeston, on Flickr

TIM_4847.jpg by t.humeston, on Flickr

TIM_4841.jpg by t.humeston, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Is this an actual Yellow-Billed Loon? If so, where'd you take it? I'm seriously jealous.

Yup Yellow-billed pair and a chick here. A couple of days ago they actually killed a Pacific Loon that must have stopped in on it's way south. I'm up at Toolik Lake in Alaska. I think it's about 300 miles north of Fairbanks. Best bird so far has been a Bluethroat, but it's one we caught so kind of cheating.

Looks like this right now.

Toolik-Ptarmigan-in-snow 1770 on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Raptor Spam Incoming

Augur Buzzard

Augur Buzzard catching a huge grasshopper

Augur in Flight

Tawny Eagle

Tawny Eagle

Long-crested Eagle

Martial Eagle

Pygmy Falcon with Lizard

Eastern Pale Chanting Goshawk

Juvenile Gabar Goshawk

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Pygmy Falcon is on my list of birds to photograph that I'm a complete failure at.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
drat dude, you definitely got your moneys worth over there. Awesome stuff.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
After a slow couple of weeks I finally came across some cool birds.

Glossy Ibis by justincook5376, on Flickr

Glossy Ibis Snack by justincook5376, on Flickr

Juvenile Eastern Phoebe by justincook5376, on Flickr

Cedar Waxwing by justincook5376, on Flickr

I think this is a young Red-tailed Hawk, unless anyone knows differently.

Young Redtail Hawk by justincook5376, on Flickr

edit: tighter crop on the phoebe and waxwing

TheMirage fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 2, 2014

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Was camping in the Yakima River Canyon over Labor Day weekend.

Didn't get a whole lot I was happy with, but got a few things, and have a few ID requests on birds that have me stumped.

As best I can tell, this duck is a mallard-peking hybrid. It was hanging out with a flock of (tame) Peking ducks at the Bonair Winery. There was also a female mallard hanging out with the small flock. This duck was the same size as the peking ducks.

Downy woodpecker busy chipping away at the underside of a branch.

Mallard duck having a good wing stretch.

ID requests on some mediocre shots:

I saw a lot of these tiny little ones but cannot figure out what they are:

I also saw quite a few of these which are around House Sparrow size. Can't quite find anything that matches it. Seems like it might be a finch or sparrow, but I've been unable to find a match.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

Was camping in the Yakima River Canyon over Labor Day weekend.

Didn't get a whole lot I was happy with, but got a few things, and have a few ID requests on birds that have me stumped.

ID requests on some mediocre shots:

I saw a lot of these tiny little ones but cannot figure out what they are:

Bushtit! They are often in small to mid-sized flocks.

quote:

I also saw quite a few of these which are around House Sparrow size. Can't quite find anything that matches it. Seems like it might be a finch or sparrow, but I've been unable to find a match.

Western Tanager

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Another Ibis shot:

Glossy Ibis Flight by justincook5376, on Flickr

Finally tracked down a Kingfisher even though that are supposedly common in places I visit. Haven't seen one all summer. Couldn't stay in the spot I was long, so I wasn't able to get too close. Missed a few diving shots, but still happy I saw it.

Belted Kingfisher by justincook5376, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

TheMirage posted:

Finally tracked down a Kingfisher even though that are supposedly common in places I visit. Haven't seen one all summer. Couldn't stay in the spot I was long, so I wasn't able to get too close. Missed a few diving shots, but still happy I saw it.

Belted Kingfisher by justincook5376, on Flickr
Once you recognize their call, you'll start finding them all over! You can hear a riled up Belted Kingfisher from almost a mile away.
I'm going mad trying to get some good footage of them fishing right now. These are seriously hard birds to track in flight - they're small, fast, erratic and they don't telegraph their movement. I'm getting some good snippets that can be edited together, but I still have yet to capture an impact cleanly except in fairly wide shots.

kingfisher-with-fish by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Edit-
With stiff winds today, it was mostly hover-hunting instead of diving from its perch. This was a lot easier to deal with, since I didn't have to keep my arms and camera in position for up to 30 minutes at a time while waiting for it to make a move. It's still a tricky shot to get, but footage is improving.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF0Xxy61cBI

And getting back to the thread title, a cormorant had a charming response to a display of bonding behavior between two pelicans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uedd7R7Ywic

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 3, 2014

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Toolik-Ptarmigan-in-snow-closeup 1785 on Flickr

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAaSTO2ysiM

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Went up to the Washington coast for some more shorebirding. Pretty anemic in the normal hotspots, mostly westerns and leasts and some of these guys:

Greater Yellowlegs by No Small Wave, on Flickr

This is what me and my friend came to find, though. Didn't get any close up glamour shots; these are all heavy crops. Anyone want to play guess the species?

e: ugh I don't know what the hell happened to my backgrounds. They do not look that posterized in PS.

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 6, 2014

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Must be one of the Ruffs we've had out there lately? Missed it a few weeks ago. Nice shots, as always.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

drat, those look great.

I rolled out of bed and took a picture of a mourning dove outside my window this morning.

IMG_8992 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Must be one of the Ruffs we've had out there lately? Missed it a few weeks ago. Nice shots, as always.

Ruff it is. We've got a couple of them down on the Oregon coast right now, too. I guess there's a buff breasted up near Astoria. If the weather isn't poo poo and it hangs around, I might try to find that guy in the next day or two.

Also, I just realized that if ACR is set to convert to 8 bit (which it defaults to I guess), your backgrounds posterize like a motherfucker. Dammit. This is 16 bit:

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

I'm 99% sure this is a Swainson's Hawk, but I saw it about 2Km north of a golf course called "Red Tail Landing" It didn't have the distinctive red tail, and it looks a bit too big to be a juvenile Red Tail

Swainson's Hawk by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

neckbeard posted:

I'm 99% sure this is a Swainson's Hawk, but I saw it about 2Km north of a golf course called "Red Tail Landing" It didn't have the distinctive red tail, and it looks a bit too big to be a juvenile Red Tail

Those are really nice shots, and are a near-exact copy of the "Juvenile Light-morph Swainson's Hawk" picture from my "photographic guide to north american raptors" book.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
I like how the bird is the exact same color as the field. I'd be tempted to clone out the barbed wire in those shots, maybe even crop in a little tighter if you've got resolution to spare.

Tried out my 300-800mm on some birds in flight:

Brown Pelican by No Small Wave, on Flickr

I thought when I got this lens I would be using it at 800mm pretty much exclusively but the zoom is actually really great. I can zoom out to locate the bird and then zoom in to tighten up for the shot. Who needs big white primes? Me. I do.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

What's it like hauling it around outside? Do you just park in one spot with it on a gimbal mount?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Thanks guys, I really lucked out on the timing of spotting it, had a break in the clouds and got some decent sun, then like an hour later the rain clouds came in, I looked around for it again because hawks look really funny when they're soaking wet, but I couldn't find it. Was also planning on trying to find some Cedar Waxwings, but it's been raining pretty hard all afternoon so I just went running instead.

800peepee51doodoo, tried what you suggested with a different shot, this one was at 300mm, the previous ones were at 270, so was able to get a tighter crop

InternetJunky, you planning on heading out east-ish next month for the snow geese migrations? I'm going to try to borrow my buddy's tamron 150-600 again, he had a baby last month, so hopefully he'll be all busy with that and won't need the lens :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Bubbacub posted:

What's it like hauling it around outside? Do you just park in one spot with it on a gimbal mount?

Its really heavy and cumbersome so, yeah, pretty much just hike it out to a spot and put it on a gimbal. The shorebird shots are from a ground pod that I made based off this.