Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons

Furnace posted:

If you ever listened to any of Threatis' mixes, you would know that he's got this dj'ing down.

naw man. because i dont PRODUCE. i'm not allowed to say that a producer is basically sucking the life out of EDM through his boring, lifeless, and flat productions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xesis
Jul 11, 2002

Apolis posted:

diplo does produce just fyi..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Lazer

Actually Diplo has most of his stuff ghostwritten, including all the Major Lazer tracks. There are many big acts / DJs that use ghostwriters too, most people just don't know about it.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Xesis posted:

Actually Diplo has most of his stuff ghostwritten, including all the Major Lazer tracks. There are many big acts / DJs that use ghostwriters too, most people just don't know about it.

yeah, it's not 100% that its totally ghostwritten but it is pretty obvious.

Stuntastic
Jul 11, 2009

weed cave weed saves
It's funny because deadmau5 has said essentially the same thing about Threatis and djs in general, probably where the majority of the animosity on Threatis's part stems from:

quote:

“It puts me to loving sleep to be quite honest, I don’t really see the technical merit in playing two songs at the same speed together and it bores me to loving tears and hopefully with all due respect to the dj type that will loving go the way of the dinosaur id like them to dis-a-loving-pear.Its so middle man,they’re like loving lawyers. You need them, but they’re loving ****s. God bless them they’re my number one customer right so I’m not gonna go diss every loving DJ. But to say you become this massive up on a podium performer by playing other peoples productions at the same speed as someone else’s productions and fading between the two of them, I don’t get it.” -Joel Zimmerman

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

12 teams is where it's at, right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? YEAH! SOME THINGS YOU CAN'T UNSEE, BRO!
ugh x infinity.

In other news, Cut Copy announced the release of their new album in February.

http://www.nme.com/news/cut-copy/53687

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
Now, I don't know if this is the proper place to post this, but I kinda wanted to ask about KW Griff. Does anybody know anything about the guy? I mean, Diplo mentioned a little about him in an interview with Pitchfork, and his Last.fm page just has a picture ( http://www.last.fm/music/KW+Griff ). And I have five of his songs ("TONY'S BACK", "Rock Wid It," "R.E.S.P.E.C.T.," "Footstompin'," and "Good Man") as well as a remix of Phil Collin's "In the Air Tonight" that he did with Ayres. He gets played by a ton of people: Crookers, Spank Rock, Diplo, Switch, etc. I wish I knew more.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Furnace posted:

ugh x infinity.

In other news, Cut Copy announced the release of their new album in February.

http://www.nme.com/news/cut-copy/53687

I really REALLY hope that single is not reflective of the album :(

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

Xesis posted:

care to elaborate?

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

12 teams is where it's at, right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? YEAH! SOME THINGS YOU CAN'T UNSEE, BRO!
^I think its referring to in-house engineers and producers doing a lot of the work etc^

re: Cut Copy -> I think after two awesome albums they can go a little leftfield for one OR CAN THEY?

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

Threatis posted:

naw man. because i dont PRODUCE. i'm not allowed to say that a producer is basically sucking the life out of EDM through his boring, lifeless, and flat productions.

hahaha omg calm down dude, it's not THAT bad

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

a milk crime posted:

Now, I don't know if this is the proper place to post this, but I kinda wanted to ask about KW Griff. Does anybody know anything about the guy? I mean, Diplo mentioned a little about him in an interview with Pitchfork, and his Last.fm page just has a picture ( http://www.last.fm/music/KW+Griff ). And I have five of his songs ("TONY'S BACK", "Rock Wid It," "R.E.S.P.E.C.T.," "Footstompin'," and "Good Man") as well as a remix of Phil Collin's "In the Air Tonight" that he did with Ayres. He gets played by a ton of people: Crookers, Spank Rock, Diplo, Switch, etc. I wish I knew more.

K.W. Griff is one of the main dudes in the original bmore club scene. been around for like 20 loving years from what i can tell.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Apolis posted:

care to elaborate?

Most DJs have coproducers who stay out of the limelight for various reasons, or songs that are crafted by other producers. Some don't fit the scope of their sound others just wanna get paid for living in studios all day.

Every medium of entertainment have such people working in the background. Jay-Z most notably ghostwrote for the chronic 2001. Comedians do this as well.

Producers like Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis have whole teams assembled to just do research and development on production.

quote:

When Now-Again scored some license money off a placement in Sex and the City (a track by New Orleans funk band Ernie & the Top Notes from The Funky 16 Corners), Wolf cut Egon in on the Stones Throw side and told him to go do his thing. Within a year Egon had it going strong enough that he wasn't losing money, and within a couple of years Now-Again was doing quite well. "I was not making money-money," he says, "but I was getting to the point where I was dealing with things like the L.A. Carnival getting sampled by Janet Jackson."

So how did Jackson get hold of this obscure track by the Midwest funk crew of the mid-'70s, from Now-Again's The L.A. Carnival Would Like to Pose a Question album?

"For the life of us, none of us could figure it out," says Egon. "We had made only 2,000 copies of that CD, fewer of the LP, and we had done the time line, and they would've had to buy the CD as soon as it came out, sample it and make a beat and then turn it around." As it turns out, he notes, "It was some third party that [Jackson's producers] Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis were subbing out work to who actually made the beat and then gave it to them, and they gave it to Janet."

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

Apolis posted:

care to elaborate?

I have ghostwritten for artists before. way more common than you would think.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

incoherent posted:

I really REALLY hope that single is not reflective of the album :(

I think they said somewhere that the single they released has been remixed for the album and is less poppy or something. Nonetheless I dug it and am looking forward to the album. Album art looks dope too.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Furnace posted:

re: Cut Copy -> I think after two awesome albums they can go a little leftfield for one OR CAN THEY?

It sounds fine for the current crop of Australian rock thats brewing out of oz (which is to say awesome). I just want my glitzy, shimmery synth pop.

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

trill rear end posted:

I have ghostwritten for artists before. way more common than you would think.

This is blowin my mind right now. Do they keep the structure/main riff and build on it from there or do they just fully push out someone else's production?

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Lysis posted:

This is blowin my mind right now. Do they keep the structure/main riff and build on it from there or do they just fully push out someone else's production?

either or to b quite honest.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

Lysis posted:

usually the later.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

LE0N posted:

New SMD album

Nice, I gotta check this out. Thousand Year Egg is a twisted, awesome track.

Also, Underworld status: still owns http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDaJBSdpryo

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Lysis posted:

Prior to Cross coming out there was a lot of talk that it wasn't entirely produced by Justice

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]
Whoooaa the whole EDM scene is a lie! Just big names do this or everyone? Have you done it Melee?? FESS UP

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Lysis posted:

Whoooaa the whole EDM scene is a lie! Just big names do this or everyone? Have you done it Melee?? FESS UP

I've never been approached to do it - outside of here, twitter, and facebook I don't get around much. Some of the higher profile dudes like Kue and turbo p probably get approached for it all the time.

But yes it is prevalent

JimmyJazz
May 22, 2007
a wealthy person coasting on others work thats a new one

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Threatis posted:

K.W. Griff is one of the main dudes in the original bmore club scene. been around for like 20 loving years from what i can tell.

Yeah, that's about all I could gather about him. He's like some type of mysterio to the rest of the world, though. To be honest, bmore's online presence to me is like rummaging through boxes of ancient runes mixed in with a bunch of ads and other nonsense - it seems like there really isn't much save for a couple of blogs and like, two other sites. Unless you know of some way dope sites

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

melee beats posted:

Prior to Cross coming out there was a lot of talk that it wasn't entirely produced by Justice

You're gonna make me cry, dude.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Thoogsby posted:

You're gonna make me cry, dude.

Don't you hear the Oizo touch all over that album?

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

melee beats posted:

Don't you hear the Oizo touch all over that album?

Thats INFLUENCE man!!!! INFLUENCE!!!!

TATAbox
Jan 15, 2010
Has anybody listened to the new Telefon Tel Aviv song? It's pretty good, it reminds me a little bit of the stuff off of Map of What is Effortless, but it has that darker tone off of Immolate Yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc1qmxkunHU

Mr Viper
Jun 21, 2005

Derezzed...

TATAbox posted:

Has anybody listened to the new Telefon Tel Aviv song? It's pretty good, it reminds me a little bit of the stuff off of Map of What is Effortless, but it has that darker tone off of Immolate Yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc1qmxkunHU

Aah, that weird echo is really dark... and the audio quality doesn't help the muddy sound. Their remix of Apparat's "Arcadia" is awesome -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZJFCC5ODS8

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
The Barbra Streisand video is free on iTunes. Just thought I would tell you guys.

kholdstayr
Dec 7, 2002
Revenge is a dish best served Khold
I am interested in getting into electronic music. I know about Ishkur's guide to electronic music but I am still not sure what I should try to listen to. I think though that generally I would like to listen to music that is more melodic. What electronic music should I try out that has a more melodic flow to it, as opposed to just constant looped bass and beats that don't have much of a melody to them?

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
What do you guys think of Vinter in Hollywood?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8hQJqGmBeo

Man vs Child
Mar 21, 2004

by Ralp
Eat your hearts out discohouse lovers, Yella Finesse is on the scene. He's only 19 but he has tremendous talent and knows how to work the filters. Between him and Leonardus I have been on a huge disco kick lately, and it's been awesome.

Try these on for size:
Yella Finesse - Knew Disco
Yella Finesse - Back To The Dancefloor
Yella Finesse & Pardon My French - The Way You Are

Nadir
Apr 12, 2003

It's only up from here
The Knocks - "Dancing With The DJ" is a pretty fun, airy electro-disco track. Gets me ready for the weekend!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5B1es2MYXM

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
http://soundcloud.com/melee/valley-girl

Album is out December 14th yall

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

kholdstayr posted:

I am interested in getting into electronic music. I know about Ishkur's guide to electronic music but I am still not sure what I should try to listen to. I think though that generally I would like to listen to music that is more melodic. What electronic music should I try out that has a more melodic flow to it, as opposed to just constant looped bass and beats that don't have much of a melody to them?

Find a DJ you like and grab his mixes/podcasts

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
I can not stop watching that Russ Chimes video that was posted a page or two back. Does anybody know of anything else like that? Epic music video a plus.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
Clicks & Whistles (http://soundcloud.com/clicksandwhistles) ep is droppin nov 11th on beatport! get your credit cards ready!!!!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

WOW Rubber OST with Mr Ozio and Justice is incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelic
Jul 31, 2009

no idea if this fits the genre requiremnts but

bil bless will let you download the life mechanism 2 for freeeee
http://bilbless.bandcamp.com/album/the-life-mechanism-2