Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
That thing isn't in the same realm as a supersport though. I bet it's a couch compared to even mid-late 90's SS's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/4334143305.html
Thoughts?

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-moto-sport/ouest-de-lile-qc/kawasaki-kz750-34k/563428926

I figure its way too expensive but would these make a decent first bike?

That styling :swoon:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Heavy and powerfulish, you could probably get away with it if you were responsible and have a decent knack for riding.

But you'll drop it and hate yourself.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

:black101:

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009

Z3n posted:

I feel this would eventually happen :(

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

Heavy and powerfulish, you could probably get away with it if you were responsible and have a decent knack for riding.

It'll cause a bunch of old bike headaches too.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Voltage posted:

Any reason... Not to get this fzr 600 for $2800?

http://albany.craigslist.org/mcd/4314641426.html

That's very high for that bike if all you get is what you see in the picture. I picked up a ridiculously well maintained FZR600R with 9 sprockets, an extra set of wheels and all the parts needed to swap the back to a 17" rear. That and like a million other things in a giant bin. It even has a Penske on the back and emulators on the front :).

That being said, I love that stupid bike. Everything about it. <3

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Only gs500 I've seen appropriately priced. The pic is a bonus.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Bay area motorcycle market in a nutshell:

$350

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
90% of the parts are there or in boxes would make a great cafe racer/chopper when built buy now this bike is gonna move fast!!!!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/4310338509.html

Oh my god he has FZ6 listed as a trade option.

quote:

Pics are not in chronological order:
1) the day I purchased it from the original owner, mileage 8,200
2) the BST40 carb apart for modding, mileage estimated 9,900
3) proof of the valve check I performed, mileage 9,000
4) the "big end bearing" being pulled w/ the makeshift MacGyver puller, mileage 8,300
5) new sprocket and chain installed, mileage 9,900
6) new roller bearing installed big end, mileage 8,300
7) tire install, clean and grease speedo, remove chain and sprockets before winter storage mileage 9,900
8) small amount of rash from a lowside back in 2012, nothing cracked just some scratches pic taken 1/30/14
9) full picture of the bike as it sits 1/30/14

DISCLOSURE: I'm detailed as all hell. My efforts to divulge all information is in the hopes of not having to exchange 15 emails with you asking each and every question I'm answering below. TAKE THE TIME TO READ THE AD IF YOU'RE SERIOUS. Everything you want to know is included here, I promise.

I'm thinking it's time to part with my hooligan bike. It is an '01 KTM Duke 2. It is a purpose built supermoto bike with legendary LC4 powerplant.

Willing to do trades + cash on your end or mine. It all depends on what you have.

I'm interested to hear trade offers right now for anything listed below.

- KTM 200, 250, or 300 EXC (with some type of title, must have headlight/tail light)
- KDX 200 or 220 (with title and lights)
- Honda VFR or Hornet (599 or 919)
- Kawasaki ZRX1200 or Z750
- Suzuki SV650 (only models w/ bars, no clipons)
- Buell Ulysses or other XB12 variants with bars
- Aprilia Shiver 750
- Yamaha FZ6 (do not want an FZ6R)
- Other sport touring style bikes
- On a whim, I'd like to build a street tracker Harley one day, if you have a Sportster w/ the 9 spoke wheels I may be interested.

- other trades- cars, trucks, hot tub, boat w/ outboard, pontoon, boats must have trailer in good shape and you must be willing to take me out on it and prove that everything is legit.

Trades will only be considered if clean, well kept, running, reliable, reasonable mileage and good condition. I've been over every square inch of every bike I've owned, I'll be looking at your trade just as closely. Let me know what you have!

On to the bike- here comes way too many details...

2001 KTM Duke 2
I'm the second owner and remain friends w/ the original owner in Indy, between the two of us the bike has only amassed approximately 11,000 miles. I bought it 2.5 years ago with 8,200mi and towed it back to Cincy. The owner gave me the KTM briefcase which included an extra key, owner's manual, parts manual, etc. Having this book is a life saver. If you can read, you can wrench. Without this book trying to maintain this bike is tough because of all the KTM quirks... like right side drive and the eccentric rear axle... and the 2 hour oil change process. It's all in the book. I also have the OEM tool bag w/ full set.

-LC4 engine - 625cc Single cylinder making +/-50hp at the wheel. Thumper. Paint shaker. El diablo rojo.

-This is NOT a maintenance intensive bike. Oil change interval per owner's manual suggests every 3,000 miles w/ Motul Synthetic. Valves every 7,500 I believe. There are 2 oil filters, and the oil is NOT cheap.

-5 speed

-WP Suspension front and rear

-BEHR wheels. These are RARE on a Duke. Most have the weaker cast wheels.

-OEM 320mm front brake

-Brembo brakes w/ stainless lines

-I modded the carb - drilled the slide, moved the needle clip up a notch, jetted both pilot (42.5 to 45) and main (142.5 to 157.5), new o-rings throughout. It's spotless and runs great. You could probably jet a bit more, like a 165 or 170 if you wanted, the exhaust does still pop a little but it's WAY less than it did with stock jetting. Also modded the airbox and removed the lid, filter has about 500 miles on it. When you twist the throttle, your giblets will feel like mexican jumping beans. Priapism will be your new favorite word. I also have 2 bags of 4 stroke muffler packing, as I was planning to gut the stock cans and open up a few more HP. I never got around to doing that. If you wanted a few more HP, you could jet to a 170 and gut the cans. Write ups are on the web for how-to. As it sits the bike gets 50-52mpg. You roll about 120 miles on a tank.

-I made homemade skateboard wheel sliders for the front. They're red to match.

-sprockets and chain have about 500 miles on them, rear is a JT steel +4, front is a brand new OEM 17T, you have to use KTM dampened front sprockets on these bikes or they start leaking oil around the sprocket seal. Rear tire is in great condition as is front. Original owner told me the chain was never replaced. New chain is a D.I.D. 520 x-ring in gold, it blings like a diamond in a goats rear end. It's not even at its first clean interval yet.

I have a 16T front sprocket, but that's just insanity. Install at your own risk. I didn't want to install it and meet my death.

-Rear tube and rim band both new w/ 300 miles use.

With the +4 rear the bike will still do an indicated 105mph. At 70mph the bike is running 6,500 rpm. That's actually right where the vibrations are quite smooth, making highway jaunts possible. I don't mind it on the highway for 30-40 miles, more than that and the wind blast tends to annoy me. It's plenty capable of highway speeds though.

-the earlier LC4's like this one were known for having a problematic "big end bearing" and the only solution was to remove it and replace it with the upgraded $90 roller bearing. Speaking with the original owner, I learned the bike had not been upgraded and although it was showing no signs of bearing failure, I'm a maintenance fanatic (by trade) and I was so worried about it failing that I didn't even ride the bike other than a test ride until I changed this. This is a tedious job, having to remove the clutches and what not to gain access, then be extremely careful removing the blind bearing and installing the new one into the engine case. Shops quoted me anywhere from $600 to $1,000 to do this job. It took me 3 days but I did it myself. Reading at ADVrider.com will become your new hobby if you own this bike. That and getting laid. Read this to get an idea of what I had to do to replace the bearing: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73558

-Valves were just done around 9,000 miles. New spark plug at that time. Original owner said the plug had never been changed. Came out very clean, I still have it in fact, you can see it if you'd like.

-Yuasa battery installed last summer, spoke with original owner, he said he never replaced the OEM battery. So the OEM lasted 12 years. That's pretty badass. I actually only replaced it because the bike kept stalling and I didn't troubleshoot it well enough. The battery was fine, and come to find out the vent tube for the gas tank was pinched off and it was causing the carb to flood. I discovered this the day after I installed the new battery and the bike kept stalling.

-Clutch cable new about 300 miles ago. Replacing that was a (*Q@#%&(%!!!!!

-Bike has been dropped twice. No reason to lie. It's a supermoto, you're going to get boners and do stupid poo poo on it, namely - thinking you can ride like all the supermoto studs on youtube. Chances are you cannot, or at least, I cannot. I wiped out once at 25mph sliding on the right side, it has some rash on front fender and headlight mask. Second time was on wet grass in the road in front of my neighbor's house. Any mechanical issues were fixed right away (bent peg, broken shifter, broken mirror, etc). The rash isn't bad at all.

-The ONLY thing left to address is the tweaked rear subframe, and I have a brand new one in my garage that will go w/ the bike. It was NOT easy to locate this part. The one on the bike isn't too bad, but it has the undertail exhaust cocked a bit.

-Over at ADVrider.com I got to reading about this "cam roller" that guys are suggesting is a maintenance item due every 12-15k miles on basically any large single KTM makes, even the SMC 690. I want to replace mine, the parts needed total only about $40, it's the intake roller that the rocker arm rides on and the cam lifts. Bike is not showing any signs of needing it done, I just want to do it, and selling the bike I'm disclosing that information. While you're in that deep you might as well check the valves again, it's simple. Sounds ugly, it's really not.

I have every receipt, every part number, and even some extras and old parts.

As to show this isn't just me saying I did this and that, I have photos proving this is a well cared for bike. Yeah, you may be thinking "well cared for, but wrecked..." well, you're halfway right. It's a supermoto. Dropping it you just scratch a few things- it's not like a sportbike where you drop it and it's now garbage. I have maintained this bike extremely well.

Willing to entertain offers to buy w/ cash. I guess if you've gotten this far in my ridiculously long ad, you deserve to know I'm looking for in the ballpark of $3,000.

I think there are many reasons I'm looking to move on. Both wrecks kinda jacked me up a bit, broke my foot once and got a "slap tear" inside my shoulder the other time. I can barely lift my arm enough to flip the bird, and that was 1.5 years ago. It's time to chill the F out on the moto-jackassery. The Duke is just taunting me. Laughing at my inability to wheelie for more than 4 seconds. I've come to almost hate the bike. Arrogant prick.

I'm no supermoto maniac. I am too big a sissy to try a stoppie. I never owned a dirt bike so a sumo probably wasn't the best idea for me. The craziest thing I ever did on the Duke was bomb a set of stairs a few times in a row to see what the hype was all about. Not gonna lie, it's fun. Sure I pop a power wheelie here and there. Sure I take the sidewalk every now and then. But I'm a cheap rear end DIY'er that would rather ride than spend time and money fixing stuff I broke because of my own idiocy. Been there and done that. It's for that reason I am persuading myself to move along to something a little more tame and a lot less evil.

The Duke is not a toy. If you own this bike, I hope you have mechanical aptitude, or deep pockets and a trust for other people wrenching on your 2 wheel life support, unlike me. No one touches my bikes, my cars, I even maintain my g/f's car and it's under lease. I take this stuff serious. I say all this in hopes to deter you from buying this bike if you don't have the means of maintaining it. There are practically zero of these bikes around. I've had mine 2.5 years and never seen another one, not once, and I go to a lot of bike events/gatherings. I want this bike to live on.

Honestly, now that I jetted the carb and did the big end bearing, all you'll need to do is that "intake roller" if you want to be proactive, and the valves are due in about 5k miles. It is ready to reward the owner with a lot of trouble free miles w/ good tires, new chain/sprockets, new battery, and a fresh spark plug and valve check. It shouldn't require any maintenance for a long time.

Oh, and by the way. I bought the Duke because I was dead set on buying a DRZ400SM... until I rode one. The DRZ is painfull to ride and has about the same power as a Ninja 250. The DR and KLR are both heavy and sloppy. KTM just makes a better product, even if it is a little more expensive. I thought the Duke was way faster than the others when I first test rode it, then I jetted it. She really woke up!

I have a clean title in my name.

I will only respond to emails with "KTM DUKE" as the subject line.

TAGS - supermoto motard sumo duke LC4 trade enduro hooligan ménages à trois wheelie

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/perth-cbd/motorcycles/ktm-690-duke-2013/1039891518

quote:

Bought this bike brand new it's only done 380kms I'm 50 years old I bought this bike to get used to road bikes I've got my eye on a bigger bike.<br/><br/>

"This scared the poo poo out of me and now I'm going to buy an R1200GS like all my other dentist friends."

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
500$ over MSRP
Dent in the tank
Missing all the turn signals
Paint scratched
poo poo job at fender elimination
No title
The claim of no one has one in stock will only fool anyone that hasn't been to a Honda shop

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/4344811964.html

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 2, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
All that and still owned by a bank!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/4352771990.html

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I suppose I could be convinced to take those four Super 90s, if just because that way he doesn't have to think about them any more. :allears:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The OG captain america bike, drat.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

I suppose I could be convinced to take those four Super 90s, if just because that way he doesn't have to think about them any more. :allears:

I like mine! :) (Too sick to ride it, stupid AC cold.)

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Oops, wrong thread...

Content:

Aprilla Shiver 750 for $5k, but somewhat sketchy salvage title mention:

http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/4362126797.html

I've never even heard of this bike, is it any good?

Voltage fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 6, 2014

Butt Swartzky
May 20, 2001

goddamnedtwisto has one i think

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

5k is far too much.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Way too much money, hard to get parts / support in the US, been down hard, salvage title etc etc = pass on it.

If you're looking for that sort of bike (I know you're just browsing) it's not hard to find Monsters that are much better buys.

Butt Swartzky
May 20, 2001

"The previous owner told me he dropped the bike in the driveway and cracked the frame. He had the cracked portion replaced but the bike has a SALVAGE title as a result."

wow what a beast of a driveway...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dropped with extreme prejudice.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
If it wasn't obvious, that 'drop' that cracked the frame is probably also why it has aftermarket bars, mirrors, windshield, and tank cover. And lord knows what else, hidden.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

:stare:

Who is this and why didn't he just open a museum?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Who is this and why didn't he just open a museum?

Gary Davis ;)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Voltage posted:

Oops, wrong thread...

Content:

Aprilla Shiver 750 for $5k, but somewhat sketchy salvage title mention:

http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/4362126797.html

I've never even heard of this bike, is it any good?

It's a fantastic bike but there is literally no way a driveway drop can damage the frame - the tank is specifically shaped to protect the frame and even has replaceable sliders, and the frame is stupidly overengineered. It's been down very hard, and I'd trust it as far as I could throw it (which isn't very far not least thanks to that very heavy frame).

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
So when a listing has a mix of acceptable price, condition, and the only thing not mentioned is the status of the title...that pretty much means there's no title, right? That's the feeling I've gotten so far with craigslist. :ohdear:

Even so, this price seems okay even if you were to use it all just for parts: http://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/4367534677.html

VVVV: yeah, that's the thing. But I'd say easily more than half the time they don't have it if they don't mention it in the listing around here.

AMISH FRIED PIES fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 10, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You have to call with cheap bikes...sometimes they have it, sometimes they don't.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

The Orange Mage posted:

VVVV: yeah, that's the thing. But I'd say easily more than half the time they don't have it if they don't mention it in the listing around here.
My first couple bike sales I didn't mention it, cause I assumed that a clean title would be the default assumption. I learned to put it in the listing after I realized that's always the first question.

dictionar.com
Jul 17, 2005

VERISIGN IS A BAD COMPANY
Is a title in the states defacto ownership or is it proof of ownership? If it's a stolen bike it would be registered against insurance qualification, and if it's legit couldn't the legal owner request a replacement title?

My bike was sold by a friend of the owner overseas, who forgot the transfer somewhere in Japan. During the six month rebuild the owner could have reported it stolen and I would have been SOL when I tried to register it in my name. Also him being overseas could have made it way more onerous to get that registration/title, as you basically claim it abandoned and the government insurance organization has to try and fail multiple times to contact the previous owner by phone and fax, and then iirc you have to petition legally. Otherwise, no insurance, no ridee.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You should also get a bill of sale with the bike, handwritten is fine I think. If the PO's still gonna try something stupid like that, it gives you evidence in court.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
An imported bike without clear paperwork of ownership (that someone else has done all the hoop-jumping for) is something I wouldn't touch for nothin'. I'm sure it's a little different for the non-US posters with more grey market stuff, but most DMV rigamaroles on this sound best described as 'Kafkaesque'.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
1996 Caviga 900 E Desmodue

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

US$3850 plus shipping

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Still dirt cheap in Norwegian vehicle pricing. A new BMW f800gs starts out at around US$25000, a ktm 690 duke is 22k. 4k usd is about as cheap as you find any running 125cc+ bike.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Supradog posted:

Still dirt cheap in Norwegian vehicle pricing. A new BMW f800gs starts out at around US$25000, a ktm 690 duke is 22k. 4k usd is about as cheap as you find any running 125cc+ bike.

Still cheaper than Israel. F800GS here will set you back $29k. Not to mention the R1200GS that costs $51k without luggage and other goodies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Oh, it's plenty cheap in US pricing, too, assuming one were to find a Cagiva on these shores in the first place.