Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

TrixRabbi posted:

#68 Metropolis - Probably about time I watch this.

Yes it is.

Stray Dog is everything that would make Kurosawa an amazing filmmaker, I think it's really the movie that showcases what he would become just a year later. But while no Rashomon is still great in it's own. Mifune and Shimura gel very well together and the Mentor-Rookie relation is pulled very well. Though Kurosawa was a bit naive(or amateur) in his writing, and maybe even contradicted himself at some point during the movie. The rookie character past being the same of as the crook, sounds fine on paper, though it looked way to forced and don't think it really helped that much. And in the end the mentor figure ends up saying that BAD PEOPLE ARE BAD, which ruins the whole point that Kurosawa was, if not well executed, trying to make with the rookie detective and the crook.

Some parts of it were to long, but I still liked and found it a great movie, despite it's flaws.

My Shame List:

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three The original one.

Ikiru Last stop before Red Beard.

Cape Fear I did not care much for the Scorsese remake. Hoping this will be better.

Rebecca Hitchcock's only Best Picture win.

Through a Glass Darkly The first of the Chamber Trilogy.(Or whatever you call it)

Brief Encounter Pre-Epic Lean.

Gone with the Wind It's so long...

Cross of Iron Down with the cowboy hat up with the soldiers helmet.

The Name of the Rose Sean Connery monk Detective.

This Film Is Not Yet Rated A look into that sordid affair that is the film rating boards

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest, The King of Comedy, The Graduate, The Asphalt Jungle, A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, The Seventh Seal, Persona, A Woman Under the Influence, Star Trek II:Wrath of Khan, The Conversation, La Règle du Jeu, Serpico, Fantasia, Shane, Get Carter, Grizzly Man, Bonnie and Clyde, To Kill a Mockingbird, Stray Dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Electronico6: I'll give you "This Film Is Not Yet Rated". It's pretty interesting stuff.

Watched Network. I thought it was pretty good, but didn't love it. I think that the movie had some great stuff to present and had some good points. I think my major problem is that some of the other plot lines kept pulling me away from the plot with Howard, which was the most interesting one.

My new list:

1. 8 1/2:
Watched the first 5 minutes, and turned it off for some reason, I think I wasn't in the right mood that night.

2. The Lives of Others:
I have never heard of it before, but it appears to have a high rating on IMDB.

3. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid:
More Paul Newman

4. The Great Dictator:
Now that I've seen some Chaplin, this is one that always interested me.

5. To Kill a Mockingbird:
Honestly I don't know much about it other then that it's a movie that exists and is supposed to be good

6. The Elephant Man:
It's Karl Pilkington's favorite movie, which is enough reason for me to check it out sometime

7. In Bruges:
I know nothing about this, but it seems to be highly rated.

8. The Deer Hunter:
Just never saw it

9. Ben Hur:
Another long epic I'm afraid of

10. The Big Sleep:
More Bogey

Already watched: Jaws, Scenes From a Marriage, The Searchers, Fanny and Alexander, Sawdust and Tinsel, Stagecoach, Silence of the Lambs, Modern Times, Do the Right Thing, Schindler's List, Mr Smith Goes to Washington, Magnolia, La Strada, Die Hard, Persona, Aliens, The Great Escape, Cool Hand Luke, 400 Blows, Lawrence of Arabia, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Network

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

zandert33, go with The Great Dictator.

It's been a while. It took me a bit, but I finally found the theatrical cut of Das Boot on YouTube Movies of all places.

The biggest thing I noticed about Das Boot is that it feels a lot like classic war films. The distinct cast of characters, the pacing, and many of the themes feel right at home next to an epic like A Bridge on the River Kwai. It's an incredibly engaging film that knows how to build tension and keep it consistent for as long as possible without becoming overbearing. I'm also glad I got to see the theatrical cut because it was beginning to feel a bit long. Nonetheless, I'd love to watch the director's cut down the road just to experience more of the film, though it'd have to be far down the road. The ending was very fitting as well, I thought it wrapped it up perfectly.

Anyway, it seems I've watched a good portion of my list since my last post in the thread. I won't give short reviews of all of them like I did last time that happened because it's not very relevant. I'll just replace them and move on.

List:

1. The Best Years of Our Lives - Well, at least it'll be one less 3 hour movie to watch!

2. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Went under the radar

3. La Notte - Love L'avventura, would like to get through the trilogy

4. Nights of Cabiria - Not exactly fond of Fellini, intrigued by this though

5. Andrei Rublev - The last of the TSPDT Top 50, hard to get into

6. Three Colors: White - Loved Blue, would like to get through the trilogy

7. Swing Time - Haven't seen a film with Astaire and Rogers

8. Stranger Than Paradise - Haven't seen a Jarmusch

9. Intolerance - Long and silent, will have to get through it eventually

10. The Blue Angel - Haven't seen a von Sternberg

Watched: Dawn of the Dead - 3.5/5; Adaptation - 4.5/5; Sullivan's Travels - 3.5/5; Touch of Evil - 4/5; Once Upon a Time in the West - 4/5; Boogie Nights - 3.5/5; Almost Famous - 4.5/5; Hiroshima Mon Amour - 4/5; City of God - 4/5; The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - 3.5/5; Brazil - 5/5; Sunset Boulevard - 3.5/5; The Conversation - 3/5; Trainspotting - 3/5; L.A. Confidential - 4/5; Napoléon - 4/5; The Green Mile - 3/5; E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial - 3/5; Léon: The Professional - 2.5/5; Sideways - 2.5/5; MASH - 4/5; The Philadelphia Story - 3.5/5; Three Colors: Blue - 5/5; Night and Fog - 3/5; Das Boot - 4/5

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

PDMChubby posted:

6. Three Colors: White - Loved Blue, would like to get through the trilogy

I had a vague idea of who and what the MPAA does, but This Film is Not Yet Rated does show them as for what truly they are. A censorship board. Though while the interviews with some of the directors, actors and other people were interesting and made you see, why this sort of group and system shouldn't exist(At least not in this state), the parts where Kirby is locating the secret members were very dull and not interesting. I think it's good that he showed that none of the raters actually qualify to be a rater, but there was so much of it. The private eye stuff I could live without.

But it remains an interesting piece, and at the end you do get mad that there are censors out there, in "plainview" cutting up works of art for petty reasons..(And Entertainment)

My Shame List:

Cape Fear I did not care much for the Scorsese remake. Hoping this will be better.

Through a Glass Darkly The first of the Chamber Trilogy.(Or whatever you call it)

Lost in La Mancha The horrors of cursed film making.

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest, The King of Comedy, The Graduate, The Asphalt Jungle, A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, The Seventh Seal, Persona, A Woman Under the Influence, Star Trek II:Wrath of Khan, The Conversation, La Règle du Jeu, Serpico, Fantasia, Shane, Get Carter, Grizzly Man, Bonnie and Clyde, To Kill a Mockingbird, Stray Dog, This Film is Not Yet Rated.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - This movie has a raw emotional attitude about it and it plays out like a bad dream. Taylor and Burton's interactions reminded me of the husband and wife in Creepshow (Hal Holbrook and Adrienne Barbeau). Overall, too much arguing for my tastes.

The film should be shown at AA meetings.
There were a lot of funny quotes as well:

"Why Martha your Sunday chapel dress!"

"I dance like the wind!"

also watched:

Dial M for Murder was decent. When I just read the title I thought this was written by Sue Grafton (A is for Alibi, F is for Fugitive et al.) Comparing this with the rest of Hitchcock films (ninth one I've seen) this was kind of middle-of-the-road on the scale of greatness. But still worth seeing. Like Rear Window it stays in one locale 95% of the time (not to its detriment). I liked Grace Kelly in this as well.

Near the end I knew I'd heard the story elsewhere before or seen clips of it somehow. But it didn't spoil the ending for me really.

I was wondering why they had an intermission only 50 minutes in and that was explained on extra features on the DVD (3D technical issues). Also, funny to realize one closeup of the phone was actually a giant phone and giant thumb during one scene for 3D as well.

IMDb list:

#165 The Secret in Their Eyes - Recently acclaimed foreign movie I heard about on TV. 5/2/11

#169 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - Is this similar to Snatch? 4/23/11

The Bourne Supremacy - I liked the first film. I need to watch this before The Bourne Ultimatum (which is currently #173) 7/1/11

#183 Gandhi - I believe this was the first movie I added to the Netflix queue when I got that service. Then I added another 300+ movies and this vanished somewhere into ether. 5/18/11

#196 The Hustler - I never did like Paul Newman's pasta sauces (the Newman's Own brand). Nasty frozen pizzas too. I don't care if they've given $300million USD to charity in the last 30 years! 6/16/11

#197 The Road AKA La Strada - I saw Nights of Cabiria a while ago and liked it so maybe I'll like this as well. That lead actress had a very unique presence/aura about her. 6/11/11

#199 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

#205 A Streetcar Named Desire - Is this the one where Brando keeps screaming "Stella?!" 7/1/11

new #206 The Wild Bunch - I got this confused with The Misfits at some point. I haven't seen either however. 7/10/11

new #207 The Incredibles - I remember hearing that this was a Libertarian opus of sorts. One of the few Pixar films I haven't seen. 7/10/11

Electronico6 posted:

Yes, it is long. I think I watched it over two days.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 10, 2011

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
Zogo, to the The Wild Bunch, posthaste.

Nashville - Geeze. I used to live in Tennessee, and this does feel eerily familiar. In the bigger cities, they still maintain this weird, half-hearted dichotomy of cold metropolis and "come on in and sit a spell." As seems to be the case for most 70s films these days, the political dimension is pretty relevant. (I should have seen the Parthenon coming.) The film is so strong, I think, because while its humor is sharp and direct and Goldblumian, the more serious notes are implied. It indirectly builds up an overwhelming atmosphere, a sense of a city in flux. People were talking in the general chat thread about Do the Right Thing having that encompassing atmosphere, that sense of the film being alive, and it immediately came to mind watching this. It hereby ties McCabe & Mrs. Miller for my favorite Altman. 9/10

Updated:

2. Bringing Up Baby - I have no idea why I haven't seen this, I'm a fan of everyone involved.

3. City Lights - I've only ever seen The Great Dictator, but it was years ago. Bad, I know. I do love Buster Keaton. *Have now seen Modern Times, as well

6. L'atalante - I love visually creative silent films, and the couple of scenes I saw in a documentary once were gorgeous.

8. Sansho the Bailiff - Ugetsu blew me away; I've been meaning to explore some more Mizoguchi.

10. Sunrise - Note for #6 applies here, too.

11. My Darling Clementine - The ever-promising 3 F's: Ford, Fonda, and...Walter Brennan, I guess.

12. Stagecoach - Another, more obvious Ford. I've held off on this because the images I've seen make it look less visually striking than his later work, but that's not really fair, I guess.

16. Greed - I've never seen a von Stroheim film, and the story behind its production is fascinating, but I've never really been compelled to give it a go.

17. Amarcord – And I call myself a fan of Fellini.

18. Pather Panchali – Big fan of the Satyajit Ray I've seen, so, yeah, I should probably begin at the beginning.

Mission accomplished: The Godfather Part II - 9/10, Some Like it Hot - 9/10, The Battle of Algiers - 9.5/10, Double Indemnity – 9.5/10, Lawrence of Arabia – 9/10, Jaws - 8/10, Modern Times - 9/10, Nashville - 9/10

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
I haven't seen any of your movies, but my wife suggests Bringing up Baby, so go with that.

Casablanca certainly deserves its reputation. The only problem I had was that it's so well-known that, at times, it seemed like I'd already seen it. There are times when I watch a specific video clip repeatedly and it starts to seem artificial, and this gave me the same feel, but I can't really hold it against it. While the movie is heavily parodied, the key lines seemed much more human when I heard Bogart's actual delivery. I liked the fact that some of the revelations weren't spelled out, but left for the audience to deduce, such as the young girl who, it is implied, slept with a government official to get her and her husband out of the country. The romance between Rick and Elsa didn't affect me that much, probably because I already knew basically how it would turn out. The one scene that really got to me was one that I've never seen referenced: The scene where the Germans are singing loudly in the bar, and then Lazlo gets everyone else to start singing along to the Marseillaise. That was downright beautiful, and I'm amazed I've never heard of it.

Rating: 4/4

2. Goodfellas - Just never came up. I know Joe Pesci yells about not being funny for a while, and I remember the Animaniacs parodies, but that's really all I know. But I liked Gangs of New York and Raging Bull [edit: and now Taxi Driver], so I have confidence in Scorsese.

4. Blade Runner - Now this is really shameful. I'm a big sci-fi fan, and I like Harrison Ford, so it's bad already. But what really makes it inexcusable is that I bought it a couple years ago, and it's still sitting on the shelf in shrink wrap.

5. 2001: A Space Odyssey - More sci-fi that everyone but me has seen. I think my dad has a copy, so that would make it easier. I think I already know most of the plot, but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy it. If I'm given this one, I promise to try my best not to make too many Portal jokes.

6. Anything by Kurosawa - Seems to me like you have to go out of your way to see foreign films. I don't know anyone who owns these, and no one's ever personally suggested one to me. I like Japanese culture and history (I once wrote a whole story set in 16th century Japan), so I feel I should see some of these, and not just more anime. Rashomon sounds interesting, but I'll take the recommendation of the thread.

7. Pulp Fiction - For that matter, anything by Tarantino except for Inglourious Basterds. Pulp Fiction, however, is that only one I've gotten the "you've never seen?" treatment over. I know Jackson quotes the Bible and Walken shoves a watch up his rear end, and there's a suitcase full of macguffins that they're fighting over, but I'm most interested in this because of the clever dialogue that Tarantino writes. Both this and Reservoir Dogs are on my instant queue, so just say the word.

8. Chinatown - I didn't realize this was a must-see, but so many people upthread have included it that I figure I must be missing something. I really like Rosemary's Baby, and I'm willing to overlook the fact that the director is a rapist and judge the film on its own merits (of course, by the same token, his personal behavior should be judged on its own merits and not because of what films he's made, but that's a whole other conversation).

9. The Aviator - More from that Scorsese clown. This one isn't as much a must see as some of the others, but it's added shame because it's another one that I own but haven't seen (there's probably another five movies like that, but most of them are more obscure). I bought it for three bucks about four years ago when a local video store went out of business and I've never taken it out of the box.

12. Superman - Not that shameful, but I've seen most of the major superhero movies, and this one's supposed to be the gold standard. I'd probably enjoy it except for Superman reversing time. :bang:

13. Duck Soup- Let’s lighten this list up with some comedy. I’ve never seen any Marx Brothers, but I did give this one a try. I have to say, though, that I gave up after about twenty minutes. It just wasn’t doing it for me. Something about the way Groucho was insulting people for no reason at all. It’s funny to watch a smart comedian take down someone who deserves it, less so when he’s doing it just to be a dick. Still, maybe I was too hasty. The political commentary that apparently shows up later sounds like my kind of humor.

14. Apocalypse Now- Guy goes up a river, sees weird poo poo, the horror, goes back down the river, man is evil. Well, that's how my brother summed up Heart of Darkness, which I tried to read in high school and got to about page three. But I know this is a fairly loose adaptation and is supposed to be great, and Martin Sheen is awesome, so I'd be cool with this.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Jurgan, you were probably too hasty with Duck Soup. Give it another try.

Unfortunately, knowing the ending to Diabolique ruined most of the suspense and mystery of the story. The famous scene was still creepy, but overall I wish I hadn't known anything. 3/5

Shadows
More Cassavetes..
Andrei Rublev
On the most lists. I know nothing about this other than that it is Tarkovsky and long.
Safe
Other Todd Haynes/Julianne Moore movie. This one sounds much better.
71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance
Haneke noooooo. Recommended to me earlier in this thread.
Ugetsu
Next on TSPDT. I know nothing about it.
Syndromes and a Century
Next up on TSPDT's 21st Century list. I wasn't a big fan of Tropical Malady, so I'm not sure how I'll feel about this.
Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
It's time I saw this, I love Herzog. And maybe Nic Cage a bit.
Umberto D.
No reason
Smile of a Summer Night
Some more Bergman.
Tout Va Bien
I like Godard.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

TenSpades, it's Nic Cage time. You get Bad Lieutenant, because I also want to know how it is.

Metropolis was fantastic. I watched the restored version, and there are times where it drags, and some of the cuts could have been kept out with much if any real detriment, but others were essential to the story so I'm glad I watched that version. The imagery and editing was amazing, and it's really a beautiful film to look at. Finally, the actor playing Joh Frederson is probably the best acting I've ever seen in a silent film. He was perfectly cold and unfeeling, and while his son was waving his arms in the air, his composure was chilling.

#65 The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Promised a friend I'd watch this eventually. This is the first one in the series, right?

#66 The Conversation - This is supposed to be right after Apocalypse Now and The Godfather for Coppola's best so let's have at it.

#71 The 39 Steps - I have a good amount of Hitchcock to start making up for.

#73 Django - I need to watch a spaghetti western that's not directed by Leone.

#74 A Hard Day's Night - I do like The Beatles, and this is actually supposed to be really good.

#76 The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover - This seems like it's up my alley.

#77 Bronson - I've been wanting to watch it for awhile now, but it looks like I'm not going to without that extra push.

#78 Rio Bravo - John Wayne was a terrible bigot. That's about my reasoning. Won't let that get in the way of some great films.

#79 Malcolm X - I read his autobiography not too long ago, so I'm interested to see how it gets dramatized. Also, it's over 3 hours long so that's kind of holding me back.

#80 Diabolique - I know nothing about this one, but it looks cool so let's go with it.

Seen so far:
Pan's Labyrinth, The Wild Bunch, The Warriors, Chinatown, Dr. Strangelove, American History X, Barton Fink, Apocalypse Now, Eraserhead, The Maltese Falcon, Annie Hall, Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, Casablanca, M, Seven Samurai, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, The Godfather, The Seventh Seal, Mulholland Drive, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Silence Of The Lambs, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, Wild Strawberries, High Fidelity, Goldfinger, The Bicycle Thief, The Thing, Bonnie And Clyde, There Will Be Blood, 8½, Spirited Away, The Big Sleep, A Fish Called Wanda, The Man Who Wasn't There, 12 Angry Men, The Elephant Man, Once Upon A Time In The West, Moon, The 400 Blows, Rosemary's Baby, City Of God, Dog Day Afternoon, Breathless, Saving Private Ryan, Network, Persona, Mean Streets, Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song, The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari, The Rules Of The Game, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Killing, Punch-Drunk Love, Rebecca, La Strada, Bowling For Columbine, The Virgin Spring, Wild At Heart, Mad Max, Enter The Dragon, Aliens, Man Bites Dog, The Magnificent Seven, Peeping Tom, Labyrinth, I Am Cuba, Double Indemnity, Man On Wire, Metropolis

Budhisattva
May 22, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

#76 The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover - This seems like it's up my alley.

Go for it.

The French Connection was an all-around good movie. Contrary to my expectations, the characters and plot were quite dark. The portrayal of New York City was very appropriate to the time, including some realistic detail like the Brooklyn Bridge traffic jam. The action scenes, especially the car chase, have obviously been a significant influence. The level of complexity in the police techniques and drug smuggling operations would also have been ahead of its time when this movie was released, probably, and they hold up today.

Updated list:

La Dolce Vita Cautiously adding this to my list after viewing 8½ - not that I didn't like it, but I wasn't blown away, either

Ace in the Hole Appealing premise, great people involved

The Leopard Going into this movie practically blind, hope it's worth it

Sanjuro Continuing the story of "30 year-old mulberry field"

Hud Filling a hole in the western genre

All That Jazz Seen this movie mentioned a lot recently

Prince of the City Epic-length crime film, and the second-to-last in my Lumet queue

The Grifters Yet another kind of noir, not quite sure about this one...

Bugsy Another gangster movie with Morricone soundtrack

Watched:

Once Upon a Time in America 8.5/10 , The Sting 7.5/10 , MASH 7.5/10 , Ran 9/10 , The Big Sleep 9/10 , Army of Shadows 9.5/10 , On the Waterfront 9/10 , Fantastic Planet 8.5/10 , Annie Hall 9.5/10 , Barton Fink 9/10 , The 400 Blows 9/10 , La Grande Illusion 9.5/10 , Gandhi 8.5/10 , The Hill 8.5/10 , Manhattan 9/10 , The Host 8/10 , The Bicycle Thief 9/10 , The Asphalt Jungle 9/10 , The Insider 9/10 , Bringing Out the Dead 8/10 , 8.5/10 , The Abyss 8.5/10 , The Thin Blue Line 8.5/10 , Touch of Evil 8/10 , Glengarry Glen Ross 9/10 , The Wages of Fear 9.5/10 , Paris, Texas 8/10 , The Conversation 8/10 , Reds 8.5/10 , Fargo 9/10 , Pierrot Le Fou 7.5/10 , Blood Simple 8/10 , The Killing 8.5/10 , Inside Job 8.5/10 , Harakiri 9.5/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , High and Low 9/10 , Yojimbo 9.5/10 , The White Ribbon 7.5/10 , The French Connection 9/10

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
You get Ace in the Hole

Man...I suck at keeping up with this. I finally got around to watching Yojimbo. It was a Kurosawa film so it was excellent. It had everything: tension, humor, action, romance, violence and a well crafted plot. It's funny that this was ripped of by a western because would have almost guessed the reverse. Everything about this screamed "western", from the toothpick in the main characters mouth to the showdown at high noon. Maybe this was all stuff ripped off from Yojimbo but it was amazing how easily my mind could picture this all being played out with cowboys. Not the best Kurosawa film I've seen by a longshot but still really amazing.

9/10

In the meantime I also watched Breatheless. I was reluctant because I've hated the other two Godard movies I've seen but this was good. While I wasn't with it at first I absolutely the full 20 minutes or so he movie takes with the two characters in bed just talking and slowly seducing each other. From there the film never really lost me again. It's hard to like the characters but that's the point I suppose. It's ocusing on an arrogant scumbag and a naive young American who doesn't know what she wants. The movie it kind of silly at times in it's overwroughtness, but again, I think that might be the point.
8/10

ANYWAYS
1) Antichrist: I will probably regret putting this here.
2) Schindler's List: It seems like I really should not just go into this film all willy nilly. Still, I really feel I should watch it.
3) The French Connection: I started watching this and just sort of lost interest early on. I'm willing to give it another try though
4) 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days: I actually really want to watch it but I'm expecting it to be brutal and that's kept me from actually going through with it.
5) Raging Bull: I also started watching this and sort of lost interest. Really feel I should give it another try.
6) Fanny and Alexander: I have only seen two Bergman films. This needs to be remedied immediately.
7) The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover: I feel I should watch this.
8) The Red Shoes: I loved Black Swan to death and many people say it steals alot from this so...
9) The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie: This was referenced in Midnight In Paris, and it reminded me that I really should see it.
10) Repulsion: I loved Black Swan to death and many people say it steals alot from this so...

Seen: The Searcher 7/10, Solaris 10/10, Sex, Lies, and Videotape 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9/10, The Bicycle Thief 6/10, Amadeus 9/10, Stalker 3.5/10, The Sting 7/10, 8 1/2 10/10, Yojimbo 9/10, Breatheless 8/10

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 11, 2011

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
axleblaze, you get Cook/Thief/Wife/Lover. If you're like me, you will hate watching it, but you will love thinking about it.

I just watched An American Werewolf in London and I liked it all right, but it didn't really grab me. The pacing was just incredibly hard to get used to. Outside of the zoo scene and the surrounding scenes, I could never tell whether something was supposed to be funny or scary or what. Still, Jenny Agutter is quite a striking woman; it's hard to imagine that it had only been a few years since the little girl she was in Walkabout. She should really be more famous than she is. The transformation effects were quite intriguing, and it is pretty cool to see something foreshadowing Landis' work on the Thriller video. Although I didn't dislike this movie, it's still my least favorite Landis movie I've seen outside of Beverly Hills Cop III.

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead; Annie Hall; Paris, Texas; Léon/The Professional; Amarcord; ; The 400 Blows; Do the Right Thing; Beauty and the Beast; Casino; American Graffiti; Death to Smoochy; Bram Stoker's Dracula; Serpico; Forbidden Planet; Au Revoir Les Enfants; Tremors; Vertigo; 12 Angry Men; Pierrot le Fou; Where Eagles Dare; Kagemusha; The Terminator; The Battleship Potemkin; The Bicycle Thief; The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert; The Constant Gardener; Walkabout; 3:10 to Yuma; What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?; Aliens; Rain Man; Xich Lo; Akira; Jules et Jim; Johnny Guitar; Rocky Horror Picture Show; The Thin Blue Line; The Thin Red Line; Blackmail; Slacker; The Cook, the Thief, his Wife, and her Lover; Terminator 2; Blazing Saddles; The Thin Man; Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!; Sideways; Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia; L'Avventura; Gone With the Wind; Blue; White; Red; Primer; Schindler's List; Network; Beverly Hills Cop; Sweet Sweetback's Baadassss Song; A Night at the Opera; Celine and Julie Go Boating; Night of the Living Dead; Chinatown; Carlito's Way; Requiem for a Dream; The Holy Mountain; Strange Days; Kramer vs. Kramer; When Harry Met Sally…; Irréversible; Tampopo; The White Ribbon; Caro Diario; The Natural; Rosemary's Baby; Mishima; Strictly Ballroom; Splendor in the Grass; Das Boot; My Left Foot; An American Werewolf in London

The Dead: I'm interested in the interplay between John and Anjelica Huston, even if they're on opposite sides of the camera.
Dead Man: It's the only Jarmusch film I've tried watching. I didn't make it all the way through. It deserves another chance.
Dirty Harry: I realized recently that I've seen a lot more old Clint Eastwood than young Clint Eastwood.
Fish Tank: (2009) I do not know a thing about this movie except that everyone who sees it apparently thinks really, really hard about it afterward.
Kiss of the Spider Woman: Julia Carpenter's such a badass! I'm so excited about seeing this movie where Spider-Woman takes on such foes as Doc Ock and… This isn't what I think it is, is it?
Manhunter: I've seen Silence of the Lambs and Heat, but I'm pretty behind on Hannibal Lecter and Michael Mann.
Mon Oncle: I watched M. Hulot's Holiday recently and I greatly enjoyed it. I haven't seen anything else with Hulot and I'm pretty inexperienced with films about uncles.
Moonstruck: It's been too long since the last time I saw Nicolas Cage act the gently caress out of something new.
Raise the Red Lantern: Randomly-picked movie that coincides with my interest in Chinese cinema.
Uzak: :zombie: I've never seen a Turkish film.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

CloseFriend posted:

I could never tell whether something was supposed to be funny or scary or what.

Why's it have to be just one or the other?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

CloseFriend, check out Manhunter.

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - I was initially a little put off by the abandonment of the story, but by the time the movie ended I appreciated what the movie did. Such a great mixture of comedy and drama, much like real life. I do think the dramatic scenes worked better than the funny ones, though I did get a kick out of the drunk pig. The cinematography was pretty spectacular, with some of the best shots I've seen from a silent film. Overall a touching, entertaining, technically impressive work. 84/100

New list:

Cinema Paradiso - I know very little about this.

The Apartment - I've seen two Wilder films and I love them both. So I'm sure I'll like this too.

On the Waterfront - I like Marlon Brando, so I have no hesitation to see this.

Witness for the Prosecution - I know nothing about this one.

The Grapes of Wrath - Sounds great. It's just never been on my radar.

The Kid - More Chaplin I need to see.

Ben-Hur - I'll be honest, I'm not looking forward to this one very much. Looks a tad hokey from the little I've seen, and it's very long.

The Wages of Fear - Clouzot impressed the hell out of me with Diabolique. Let's see if he can top himself.

The Secret in their eyes - Mark this one as another I have absolutely no clue about.

The Big Sleep - Bogart, Bacall and Hawks? Count me in.

Watched (scores out of 100):
12 Angry Men(96) All About Eve(85) Spirited Away(85) Once Upon a Time in the West(95) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington(85) The Bridge on the River Kwai(94) Touch of Evil(89) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre(93) Princess Mononoke(72) Life is Beautiful(91) Ran(92) Das Boot(92) Downfall(70) It Happened One Night(77) Cool Hand Luke(90) The Great Dictator(82) Grave of the Fireflies(67) Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans(84)

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

caiman posted:

The Apartment - I've seen two Wilder films and I love them both. So I'm sure I'll like this too.

This one is great.

Managed to watch Gone with the Wind in one sitting! Never going to that again, either watching Gone with the Wind in one go, or just plain watching Gone with the Wind again. I liked Scarlett O'Hara, the music and the very detailed production values, but this is a movie that I won't be returning. It wasn't the revisionist history and the glorification of the Old South, but it was just to drat long, and not that good as a whole. There were great moments(When they are escaping Atlanta and return to Tara, Scarlett and Reth talk in the middle of the night) but I found it way to long and there wasn't that much to it.

My Shame List:

Barry Lyndon Only Kubrik left for me to watch.

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest, The King of Comedy, The Graduate, The Asphalt Jungle, A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, The Seventh Seal, Persona, A Woman Under the Influence, Star Trek II:Wrath of Khan, The Conversation, La Règle du Jeu, Serpico, Fantasia, Shane, Get Carter, Grizzly Man, Bonnie and Clyde, To Kill a Mockingbird, Stray Dog, This Film is Not Yet Rated, Gone with the Wind.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 12, 2011

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Electronico6 posted:

It's also on my list and I have not seen the rest, so I'd like to see some input on it since I know nothing about it.

I watched 2 movies on my list yet again and both were certainly good for completely different reasons. Barton Fink is one of those genre breaking movies for me in that it was nowhere near a genre I would typically enjoy, but for some reason I was into this all the way through. It will certainly be worth a second watch down the line because I know I didn't get everything the first time around. Tuturro and Goodman were incredible throughout and it's one of the best looking films I've seen. The Coens are fantastic in imagery and making the background almost a character in itself.

Slumdog Millionaire is certainly an uplifting movie. The story was very strong here which made easy to feel for the main character. The music was also outstanding. Very strong movie, I can see why it won as much as it did, even if there was another movie from that year that became one of my all time favorites. However, I won't hold that against this film because on its own it was a very good watch.

New List:

1. Fast Times at Ridgemont High - All I know is a bunch of Best Actor's came out of this film.

2. Planet of the Apes - I've probably watched about a quarter of this movie including the ending. I've never seen it all the way through.

3. V for Vendetta - I've always associated it with Sin City although now that I've seen Sin City it's probably much different.

4. No Country for Old Men - This is the most recent best picture I haven't seen and fits nicely with the Coen run I've had lately.

5. Rebecca - Hitchcock's best picture film. Like most everything else that's not recent on this list, I'm going in blind.

6. The Graduate - All I knew is Dustin Hoffman, "Mrs. Robinson are you trying to seduce me", and Simon and Garfunkel.

7. Stand by Me - Seems to be liked by everyone I know. What I know is that it's supposed to be a Goonies-esque coming of age type of adventure movie.

8. City Lights - Highest top 250 movie I haven't seen and a nice reappearance of Chaplin.

9. Wild Strawberries - Have never seen a Bergman film (I know, I know).

10. Rashomon - Another Kurosawa classic.

Watched Count 77: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10, The Silence of the Lambs 9.5/10, The Hurt Locker 7.5/10, Animal Crackers 7.5/10, American Beauty 9/10, The Princess Bride 8.5/10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 7.5/10, The Great Dictator 8.5/10, The King's Speech 7.5/10, American History X 7/10, Taxi Driver 8/10, The Philadelphia Story 8/10, Cars 6.5/10, Dial M for Murder 7.5/10, Amélie 8.5/10, Spirited Away 9/10, North by Northwest 9.5/10, Paths of Glory 8/10, Some Like it Hot 8.5/10, On the Waterfront 7.5/10, Platoon 8/10, Annie Hall 7.5/10, Patton 7.5/10, Harvey 6/10, Nikita 5.5/10, Yojimbo 8/10, How to Train Your Dragon 7.5/10, To Kill a Mockingbird 10/10, This is Spinal Tap 11/11, Fargo 8/10, Sin City 8.5/10, Wayne's World 7/10, A Streetcar Named Desire 5/10, Barton Fink 8/10, Slumdog Millionaire 8/10

marioinblack fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 13, 2011

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

I was tasked with seeing No Country for Old Men along with watching There Will Be Blood since I mentioned that I always seemed to get there titles confused. I enjoyed both movies.

Old Country for Old Men was a great movie. The scenery was great. The story was interesting. I was a bit disappointed when Moss ws killed, but I see now that that made the movie better than if it ended conventionally.

There Will Be Blood was an interesting story about greed and corruption. seemed to like Daniel Plainview when the movie started, but he slowly started to lose his morality and become more and more unlikeable. The truth is there really was no likeable characters in the movie.

My List:
M - Heard alot about it, but never saw it.

Best In Show - Lots of people have said that this movie is hysteical, and I could use a good comedy now.

Lawrence of Arabia - I've seen this has been recommended alot. Haven't seen it yet.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Loved Newman and Redford in the Sting, so I am looking forward to seeing this.

Duck Soup - Another Marx Brothers film that I'd like to see

The Princess and the Frog - I usually make sure that I watch a DVD when I buy it, but I bought this movie over a year ago and I still haven't seen it.

Sanjuro - Kurosawa's next movie on my list.

My Fair Lady - I'm going to stick with musicals in this spot.

Dracula - Never saw any of the classic Hollywood horror movies, but now that I've gotten interested in Bela Lugosi (through the Ed Wood pictures), this seems like the natural first pick.

The Public Enemy - Never saw any James Cagney film.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood

marioinblack, having just seen No Country For Old Men, I recommend that you see it. It is terrific.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Dmitri Russkie posted:

The truth is there really was no likeable characters in the movie.

I think the success of the film's message about morality wouldn't be as effective if you didn't have the innocence of the son to identify with.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
My list, though to start with, I've avoided some of these simply because I either have an irrational hatred of the actors in them or I think the people recommending them are trolling me (I don't know if any of these are genuinely good movies or not):

1. Fireproof - :wtc: doesn't even begin to cover how mind boggled I am by the people that actually think this would be a good movie.

2. The Hangover 2 - Why would I watch this? The first one was funny, sure, but I didn't think it left any room for a sequel that would be worth watching.

3. Any of the Harry Potter movies - I'm 30 years old, why would these appeal to me (especially if I never read the books)?

4. Any of the Twilight movies - SMG's posts in the respective threads that made them out to be subversive takes on the vampire monster almost tricked me into watching them, but no. I don't think even trying to take that perspective on them will make them enjoyable.

5. Reservoir Dogs - I have no clue why I haven't seen this one, I just never got around to watching it.

6. Apocalypse Now - Same as #5, except I did try to rent this once but somehow got one of those knockoff movies by that production studio everyone talks about as producers of crazy-hilarious bad movies. The knockoff of this one was just plain terrible, though.

7. Gone With The Wind - Like most people that have listed this one, it's long as hell and I just haven't bothered to watch it.

8. Tron - I've watched maybe half of this movie, but just couldn't get into it to stick with it and finish it. I think I missed the boat entirely on this one being something I could stand to watch with the horrible fake computer logic.

9. Slumdog Millionaire - I just never got the appeal of this one.

10. Scanners - People refer to this as some kind of obscure "classic", but I just don't see it.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Somebody assign Wade "Fireproof". That is one of the strangest items I've seen on anybody's list.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

zandert33 posted:

Somebody assign Wade "Fireproof". That is one of the strangest items I've seen on anybody's list.

Only if you are required to watch it, too.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Wade you need to pick one for Dmitri

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Wade Wilson posted:

Only if you are required to watch it, too.

I've seen it :(

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Silence

Apparently this was a controversial hit, which is kind of funny because it's so obtuse and surreal that I can't really imagine people flocking to it. I assume there were an awful lot of disappointed, confused people coming out of the theaters. It's interesting to see Bergman make such a solidly surreal film. Usually his work isn't particularly symbolism-heavy, or if there is symbolism it's not particularly difficult to figure out, and often I've found he's one of the most down-to-earth, straightforward directors. But The Silence isn't anything like Winter Light or Scenes From A Marriage or even Face To Face. It's very Fellini-meets-Resnais (the hotel is reminiscent of the one in Marienbad, and there are clowning midgets) with a heavy Bergman accent, and it's the accent that makes the surrealism so affecting. It's big and strange and it makes sense in a skewed sort of way: a boy wanders through an empty hotel and sees a midget tip his hat in chiaroscuro lighting, his mother goes to a theater in search of a basic human connection and two people have carnal sex in the chair next to her, their bodies forming an ambiguous mass in the half-light. I didn't get much sleep last night so I probably wasn't in the best state of mind to appreciate such a ponderous film, but it's hard to deny the effect of a film like this.

9/10

SHAAAAAAME

1) Howards End - I'm going to watch every Criterion Blu-Ray, dammit, no matter how boring they look.

2) Hiroshima mon amour - I was perplexed by but really loved Last Year At Marienbad. I'm not really sure what this is about but it's the most interesting-looking movie next on TSPDT.

3) All About Eve - Well, Netflix doesn't have the Blu-Ray, but it's next on TSPDT and I've heard good things.

4) Secret Honor - I love Robert Altman and I love Richard Nixon (as a subject), and I've heard endless good things about this.

5) Viridiana - Next on the TSPDT list. I've only seen two Buñuels, one I was too dumb to appreciate at the time and the other I loved.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) Bringing Up Baby - My film professor told me to watch this once and I didn't for some reason. Apparently it has Cary Grant and a baby tiger?

9) The Wrong Man - More Hitchcock. I don't know much about this, even about the real-life case. I do remember Hitchcock and Truffaut arguing about a shot in which Fonda spins on a stool in his cell.

10) The Magic Flute - This has been in my Netflix since I was like 13. I love this opera and I love Ingmar Bergman.

Jules et Jim 6/10, Saving Private Ryan 9.5/10, Fitzcarraldo 9/10, The 39 Steps 7/10, Notorious 7/10, Run Lola Run 8/10, Downfall 7.5/10, The Searchers 7.5/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Gone With The Wind 10/10, Touch Of Evil 9.5/10, Ikiru 7.5/10, The Apartment 7/10, Bicycle Thieves 7/10, Moon 7/10, The Color Purple 7.5/10. The French Connection9.5/10, The Leopard 8/10, Yojimbo 8.5/10, Sanjuro 8/10, Das Boot8.5/10, The Conformist 8/10, Breathless 9/10, Where The Wild Things Are7.5/10, Vertigo 9/10, Raging Bull 10/10, Ordet 7/10, City Of God 9/10, The Wages Of Fear 9/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 9/10, The Mirror 9.5/10, Through A Glass Darkly 10/10, On The Waterfront 6/10, The Straight Story 9/10, Lawrence Of Arabia 8.5/10, Dial M For Murder, 8/10 Winter Light 10/10, The Silence 9/10 (total: 37)

on hold (?) - badlands

wade wilson gets fireproof of course

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

If Wade doesn't pick one for me by tomorrow night, I'll take M. That one is the only one left from my original list.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Ordet is as great as I expected. I heard it was Dreyer's best and that just ain't so as long as Joan of Arc still exists, but it's terrific. Where do I go now with Dreyer? I've got all the Criterion ones under my belt. Is Michael any good?

MHB, The Wrong Man. When Hitchcock's an option, always. This one's interesting, it's a lot more gritty and procedural than his others.

Yo, Dmitri Russkie, I feel like I should give you a head's up - Dracula is pretty much the shittiest Universal Horror staple. Frankenstein, The Invisible Man, and most of the others are way better. Even Dracula's sequel - Dracula's Daughter - is better than the original.

New list:

New: Pigs and Battleships What a title!

Beware of a Holy Whore Cult Fassbinder hit?

Night Moves I've been meaning to watch this since Arthur Penn died, but haven't gotten to it.

Naked City Been watching, and ADORING, the TV show.

I Know Where I'm Going! Really gotta get to work on P&P.

The Ninth Configuration I keep getting real adamant about watching this, and then it fizzles out in like ten minutes.

Toto, Peppino e la malafemmina Italian comedy doesn't do it for me, but Terrence Malick of all people loves this one. Certainly worth a try.

Body Heat I got nothin'

Montenegro or Sweet Movie I loved WR and the Eclipse set, but I've avoided Sweet Movie because I heard it sucks and Montenegro because the poster is crap.

Barfly I'm a big Bukowski fan which, actually, is why I keep avoiding this.

Finished from this thread:
Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10), Our Hospitality (9/10), Les Diaboliques (8/10), The Awful Truth (8/10), Duel in the Sun (6.5/10), A Guy Named Joe (6/10), Quiet City (5/10), People on Sunday (8.5/10), Nothing but a Man (8.5/10), Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring (8/10), Comradship (7.5/10), Too Early, Too Late (4/10), Wooden Crosses (7.5/10), White Zombie (8.5/10), No Highway in the Sky (8/10), The Wanderers (8.5/10), My Son My Son What Have Ye Done (7/10), Our Town (9/10), The Winning of Barbara Worth (8/10), Red Riding 1974 (7/10), Grand Hotel (8/10), Rapt (8/10), The Champ (7/10), Red Beard (8.5/10), Rendez-vous d'Anna (8/10), Two Thousand Maniacs! (7/10), The Old Dark House (7.5/10), The Tarnished Angels (8/10), Ordet (9/10)

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Wade Wilson posted:

1. Fireproof - :wtc: doesn't even begin to cover how mind boggled I am by the people that actually think this would be a good movie.

Whoever lied to you and said this was a good movie you should remove as a friend. Seriously, no joking. They're either an rear end in a top hat or an idiot and either one you should not be friends with.

Wade Wilson posted:

4. Any of the Twilight movies - SMG's posts in the respective threads that made them out to be subversive takes on the vampire monster almost tricked me into watching them, but no. I don't think even trying to take that perspective on them will make them enjoyable.

Same with these. SMG's take on the movies is completely his own take on it and not based in any reality as far as what the author of those books intended or the directors of the films intended. I'd say watch these over fireproof though, although I'm sure you'll want to kill yourself just the same afterward.

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 14, 2011

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

penismightier, you get "Pigs and Battleships". Good stuff.

Watched "The Great Dictator". I really think the movie was a little long in parts, mainly when Chaplin was playing the barber. Things really picked up again for me when the Mussolini character came in. All and all enjoyable, but way too long.

My new list:

1. 8 1/2:
Watched the first 5 minutes, and turned it off for some reason, I think I wasn't in the right mood that night.

2. The Lives of Others:
I have never heard of it before, but it appears to have a high rating on IMDB.

3. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid:
More Paul Newman

4. City Lights:
More Chaplin

5. To Kill a Mockingbird:
Honestly I don't know much about it other then that it's a movie that exists and is supposed to be good

6. The Elephant Man:
It's Karl Pilkington's favorite movie, which is enough reason for me to check it out sometime

7. In Bruges:
I know nothing about this, but it seems to be highly rated.

8. The Deer Hunter:
Just never saw it

9. Ben Hur:
Another long epic I'm afraid of

10. The Big Sleep:
More Bogey

Already watched: Jaws, Scenes From a Marriage, The Searchers, Fanny and Alexander, Sawdust and Tinsel, Stagecoach, Silence of the Lambs, Modern Times, Do the Right Thing, Schindler's List, Mr Smith Goes to Washington, Magnolia, La Strada, Die Hard, Persona, Aliens, The Great Escape, Cool Hand Luke, 400 Blows, Lawrence of Arabia, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Network, The Great Dictator

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

zandert33 posted:

6. The Elephant Man:

You will soon understand why it's his favorite movie.

Rebecca is a very flawed movie. There's something not quite right with it, but it's still good and when it's good it hits all the right marks. When the movie is set during the Manderley and Joan Fontaine is being tormented by Rebecca's ghost, it's very riveting and amazing to watch. Then the movie takes a twist(I will be frank did not see it coming. Wasn't really thinking about it either) and it breaks from that psychological torment and goes off to somewhere else, and it doesn't have the same energy or quality to the Manderley portions. I did find very funny and quite smart, that the name of Joan Fontaine character is never revealed. And that you get the impression that Maxim didn't even knew it. It was a nice touch, considering the whole theme of the movie.

And by strange coincidence I saw both Selznick Best Picture wins one after the other.

My Shame List:

Suspicion Last Cary Grant-Hitchcock collaboration.(Actually the first)

Barry Lyndon Only Kubrik left for me to watch.

The Name of the Rose Sean Connery, Monk Detective.

Have seen so far 87 movies: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest, The King of Comedy, The Graduate, The Asphalt Jungle, A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, The Seventh Seal, Persona, A Woman Under the Influence, Star Trek II:Wrath of Khan, The Conversation, La Règle du Jeu, Serpico, Fantasia, Shane, Get Carter, Grizzly Man, Bonnie and Clyde, To Kill a Mockingbird, Stray Dog, This Film is Not Yet Rated, Gone with the Wind, Rebecca.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Electronico6 posted:

Easy pick.

I thought Some Like It Hot was very good. While I didn't really crack up at any point, I can say that it's definitely consistently amusing from start to finish. Actually I think that was the quickest two hours I've ever experienced.

1. Pather Panchali - Only experience with Ray was a very low quality DVD of The Music Room. I liked it a lot.

2. Tokyo Story - I think I might have a problem appreciating muted emotions in movies. I might have a hard time watching this.

3. Some Like It Hot Punch-Drunk Love - Might as well put up something more recent.

4. Mean Streets - Love Scorsese, but I've heard people say that this is too similar to Taxi Driver but not nearly as good. That's okay, even if it isn't half as good as Taxi Driver it'll still be a good film.

5. Rio Bravo - John Wayne seemed like he was a real rear end in a top hat. Maybe I'll enjoy some of his films anyway.

6. The Graduate - I can't really get excited to watch this for some reason.

7. The Rules of the Game - Ranked as one of the very best movies of all time, I think it's a about class warfare or something. Ooooh, a war movie!

8. Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Don't really know how I managed to avoid this for so long, not even ever seeing it on TV.

9. Nights of Cabiria - Haven't seen a ton of Italian films.

10. Brief Encounter - Haven't seen that many movies from the 40's. A David Lean film that isn't a sprawling adventure sounds interesting.

Watched(Score/100): The Seventh Seal 95, Moon 84, Barton Fink 95, The Thin Blue Line 86, Cool Hand Luke 87, Citizen Kane 96, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 91, Rear Window 94, North by Northwest 86, Goodfellas 97, Casablanca 95, City Lights 81, Seven Samurai 92, Bicycle Thieves 88, Do the Right Thing 95, The Battle of Algiers 86, On the Waterfront 78, Wild Strawberries 94, The Trial 91, Adaptation 89, Unforgiven 91, Annie Hall 86, The 400 Blows 88, Diabolique 80, Mulholland Dr. 98, Dirty Harry 60, The 39 Steps 82, Aguirre: The Wrath of God 92, 8 1/2 85, Boogie Nights 88, A Streetcar Named Desire 77, Raiders of the Lost Ark 92, The General 87, Pickpocket 74, Pulp Fiction 96, Amadeus 88, Lawrence of Arabia 92, Eraserhead 84, The Lady Vanishes 84, The Wild Bunch 83, A Clockwork Orange 79, Platoon 76, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 85, Ikiru 91, Jules and Jim 92, The Asphalt Jungle 81, M 86, The Thin Red Line 86, Dial M for Murder 85, The Sting 81, Once Upon a Time in the West 86, The Exterminating Angel 85, A Woman Under the Influence 96, Singin' in the Rain 85, Scenes from a Marriage 93, Badlands 85, City of God 91, The Gold Rush 74, The Maltese Falcon 86, The Conformist 87, The Shawshank Redemption 83, High and Low 90, It's a Wonderful Life 75, Days of Heaven 87, Le Samourai 71, The Night of the Hunter 91, Metropolis 93, The New World 86, Persona 81, Manhattan 86, Some Like It Hot 78

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Atheistdeals, go with Nights of Cabiria.

I am a defender of Nic Cage, but he went just a bit too crazy in The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans. His maniacal laughing really start to get on my nerves. This movie was pretty wacky. I wouldn't have been able to tell it was Herzog if not for the weird iguana-cams. 3.5/5

Shadows
More Cassavetes..
Andrei Rublev
On the most lists. I know nothing about this other than that it is Tarkovsky and long.
Safe
Ugetsu
Next on TSPDT. I know nothing about it.
Syndromes and a Century
Next up on TSPDT's 21st Century list. I wasn't a big fan of Tropical Malady, so I'm not sure how I'll feel about this.
Umberto D.
No reason
Smile of a Summer Night
Some more Bergman.
Tout Va Bien
I like Godard.
Picnic at Hanging Rock
I remember hearing this was a good Australian film.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5

Budhisattva
May 22, 2005

TenSpadesBeTrump, check out Ugetsu.

Ace in the Hole was basically what I expected: a strong premise, solid direction, and a great lead actor. Billy Wilder's well-written script highlighted the public's obsession with media sensations, and the exploitative reporters willing to dramatize them. There were quite a few zingers in the dialogue. Many of them were delivered by Kirk Douglas who threw down as the amoral reporter. No real complaints except that for such a simple story it could have stood to lose a few minutes.

Updated list:

La Dolce Vita Cautiously adding this to my list after viewing 8½ - not that I didn't like it, but I wasn't blown away, either

Sanjuro Continuing the story of "30 year-old mulberry field", ha

Alphaville Godard's take on dystopic sci-fi

Prince of the City Epic-length crime film, and the second-to-last in my Lumet queue

Watched:

Once Upon a Time in America 8.5/10 , The Sting 7.5/10 , MASH 7.5/10 , Ran 9/10 , The Big Sleep 9/10 , Army of Shadows 9.5/10 , On the Waterfront 9/10 , Fantastic Planet 8.5/10 , Annie Hall 9.5/10 , Barton Fink 9/10 , The 400 Blows 9/10 , La Grande Illusion 9.5/10 , Gandhi 8.5/10 , The Hill 8.5/10 , Manhattan 9/10 , The Host 8/10 , The Bicycle Thief 9/10 , The Asphalt Jungle 9/10 , The Insider 9/10 , Bringing Out the Dead 8/10 , 8.5/10 , The Abyss 8.5/10 , The Thin Blue Line 8.5/10 , Touch of Evil 8/10 , Glengarry Glen Ross 9/10 , The Wages of Fear 9.5/10 , Paris, Texas 8/10 , The Conversation 8/10 , Reds 8.5/10 , Fargo 9/10 , Pierrot Le Fou 7.5/10 , Blood Simple 8/10 , The Killing 8.5/10 , Inside Job 8.5/10 , Harakiri 9.5/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , High and Low 9/10 , Yojimbo 9.5/10 , The White Ribbon 7.5/10 , The French Connection 9/10 , Ace in the Hole 8.5/10

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

FitFortDanga posted:

Wade you need to pick one for Dmitri

I thought Kull was supposed to pick one for them.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Whoever lied to you and said this was a good movie you should remove as a friend. Seriously, no joking. They're either an rear end in a top hat or an idiot and either one you should not be friends with.

I would if I could, they're family. :negative:

quote:

Same with these. SMG's take on the movies is completely his own take on it and not based in any reality as far as what the author of those books intended or the directors of the films intended. I'd say watch these over fireproof though, although I'm sure you'll want to kill yourself just the same afterward.

I DVRed these (some channel marathoned them last weekend) for watching while I'm laid up with an epididymis infection this weekend. Maybe the pain killers will make it bearable (they make it where I can work, after all).

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Wade Wilson posted:

I thought Kull was supposed to pick one for them.

Kull didn't post a review or his updated list so he didn't pick one for him. Every time you post your list/review you pick a movie for the last person who posted a list/review. :eng101:

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Budhisattva, go with Sanjuro.

It take a while to get going, but eventually the characters in Ugetsu pulled me in. I would have liked to see more of the samurai wannabe though. The visuals throughout were great, especially the use of fog. 4/5

Shadows
More Cassavetes..
Andrei Rublev
Safe
Syndromes and a Century
Umberto D.
No reason
Smile of a Summer Night
Some more Bergman.
Tout Va Bien
I like Godard.
Picnic at Hanging Rock
I remember hearing this was a good Australian film.
Salo
aaaaaaghhh

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5

Budhisattva
May 22, 2005

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

Salo
aaaaaaghhh

I had to look up the description for this one, and after doing so, have no other choice but to pick it for you. Honestly, it sounds like you're in for a disgusting movie, but it will be interesting to hear if it succeeds at some deeper level.

Sanjuro was an entertaining companion movie to Yojimbo. While the style of the latter is more formal and detached, Sanjuro has quite a bit of fun with itself. The group reactions are exaggerated to great effect as Sanjuro has to constantly remind them "You tired of being stupid yet?". One thing I've noticed about Kurosawa's black-and-white films is the lack of blood. With all the butchery taking place on screen, other movies would have swords dripping with blood and dismembered body parts littering the battlefield. It's a credit to Kurosawa's fantastic choreography and camerawork that such excess is not required to give the scenes a visceral quality of action. The sparing use of blood up until the final duel makes it so effective when it finally appears.

Updated list:

The Exterminating Angel Haven't seen any Bunuel in a while

Alphaville Godard's take on dystopic sci-fi

Watched:

Once Upon a Time in America 8.5/10 , The Sting 7.5/10 , MASH 7.5/10 , Ran 9/10 , The Big Sleep 9/10 , Army of Shadows 9.5/10 , On the Waterfront 9/10 , Fantastic Planet 8.5/10 , Annie Hall 9.5/10 , Barton Fink 9/10 , The 400 Blows 9/10 , La Grande Illusion 9.5/10 , Gandhi 8.5/10 , The Hill 8.5/10 , Manhattan 9/10 , The Host 8/10 , The Bicycle Thief 9/10 , The Asphalt Jungle 9/10 , The Insider 9/10 , Bringing Out the Dead 8/10 , 8.5/10 , The Abyss 8.5/10 , The Thin Blue Line 8.5/10 , Touch of Evil 8/10 , Glengarry Glen Ross 9/10 , The Wages of Fear 9.5/10 , Paris, Texas 8/10 , The Conversation 8/10 , Reds 8.5/10 , Fargo 9/10 , Pierrot Le Fou 7.5/10 , Blood Simple 8/10 , The Killing 8.5/10 , Inside Job 8.5/10 , Harakiri 9.5/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , High and Low 9/10 , Yojimbo 9.5/10 , The White Ribbon 7.5/10 , The French Connection 9/10 , Ace in the Hole 8.5/10 , Sanjuro 8.5/10

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Budhisattva posted:

Go with this one.

The Wild Bunch - This starts off almost like a gunfight parody with the amount of gunshots being fired.

The good: There's not much pretense with this. I had zero clue how things were going to play out as they transpired. Very whimsical.

The bad: I've never seen so many dumb doofus characters in a film before. Every other line out of these slackjawed incompetent yokels is "egg-sucking, yella bellied." After they insult each other for a few minutes the conversations always end with a round of guffawing and grimey-teethed stares at one other.

By the ending scenes of the film I was reminded a lot of The Underdogs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Underdogs_%28novel%29 which covers the same time period that is depicted in the film. If you're interested on the subject of revolution, politics, ideals and fighting I recommend it. It's an easy read and gives a good idea of the mindset and culture of the time.

I read that the film budget was only $6million. Seems very low but maybe my inflation adjustments (in my head) are wrong.

also watched:

La Strada - Had a few brilliant moments. The characters were all unforgettable and the fool was one of the funnier guys I can recall seeing in a film in the last few years. I'm starting to understand Fellini a little more and it was probably a mistake to watch 8½ first of all his films. It was a MOTM a few years ago so I'll just blame Magic Hate Ball heh.

IMDb list:

#162 The Secret in Their Eyes - Recently acclaimed foreign movie I heard about on TV. 5/2/11

#167 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - Is this similar to Snatch? 4/23/11

The Bourne Supremacy - I liked the first film. I need to watch this before The Bourne Ultimatum (which is currently #174) 7/1/11

#183 Gandhi - I believe this was the first movie I added to the Netflix queue when I got that service. Then I added another 300+ movies and this vanished somewhere into ether. 5/18/11

#195 The Hustler - I never did like Paul Newman's pasta sauces (the Newman's Own brand). Nasty frozen pizzas too. I don't care if they've given $300million USD to charity in the last 30 years! 6/16/11

#197 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

#205 A Streetcar Named Desire - Is this the one where Brando keeps screaming "Stella?!" 7/1/11

new #207 Stalag 17 - Apparently the first sixteen films aren't as good. 7/16/11

#208 The Incredibles - I remember hearing that this was a Libertarian opus of sorts. One of the few Pixar films I haven't seen. 7/10/11

new #209 In Bruges - I don't know how to pronounce the title. 7/16/11

PS Has the book barn or NMD ever done a thread like this?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Zogo posted:

PS Has the book barn or NMD ever done a thread like this?

That's a good idea. I feel that NMD's would move insanely fast, whereas The Book Barn's would creep by sans some super-readers. I'm still in support of either, since I've been trying to decide on some reading material lately.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

That's a good idea. I feel that NMD's would move insanely fast, whereas The Book Barn's would creep by sans some super-readers. I'm still in support of either, since I've been trying to decide on some reading material lately.

I'm sure there's some speed readers in there. Some people knockout books like nothing.

I'd probably participate in the book one but I'd probably do a few per year at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Zogo posted:

I'm starting to understand Fellini a little more and it was probably a mistake to watch 8½ first of all his films. It was a MOTM a few years ago so I'll just blame Magic Hate Ball heh.

8½ was my first Fellini and remains the only one I truly loved. I think I might understand it more now that I get what makes Fellini tick but I'm not sure I'll actually like it as much when I re-watch it.