Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

teethgrinder posted:

Anyone have thoughts on the new Seabound?

It's good. Not as good as Double Crosser, but there's no bad Seabound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

The Cleaner posted:

What would you say was the best/most memorable thing you guys have ever seen at an industrial show?

And also what was the worst?

Best: Einsturzende Neubauten touring for Ende Neu at the Rave in Milwaukee. I managed to get right up in front, against the metal security barrier.

Worst: Einsturzende Neubauten touring for Silence is Sexy at the Metro in Chicago. Blixa kept getting mad that people were talking during the quiet parts of the songs, which prompted some drunk guy to start antagonizing the band and being a dick. Also, Blixa was apparently mad at his guitarist that night (Alexander Haack was playing bass at this point). Lotta bad energy. All around disaster, embarrassing to watch.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Best industrial show ... hard to say! I guess I appreciate a good light show. Seabound does the laser thing which suits the music. The lighting was great when I saw FLA & m.i.a.b together:

]

Guess I love silhouettes.

Worst I'd say was some band did this weird thing about eating rotten food out of a box marked "Monsanto".

But to be serious, I think the worst was an early show of KMFDM's modern stable line-up, around 2003. I love guitars in my electro-industrial, but it was just way too loving loud, and had a bland boring sound through every song. Barely any samples or electronics the entire show. It also wrecked my hearing for three days and I've worn earplugs to every show since. (Same line-up, KMFDM were so much better the last time I saw them, a few years ago.)

Also bad was Imperative Reaction the last time I saw them. The band was great (and I loved the lighting again!), but there was something like 20 people in the crowd, if that. Kudos to them for still playing an awesome show, but the energy in the room was totally non-existent.

LabyaMynora posted:

It's good. Not as good as Double Crosser, but there's no bad Seabound.
That's basically my opinion too. I'm sure it'll grow on me. But it's not what I would show people first if I'm trying to get them into Seabound. Some great sounds though, a couple of easy-listening poppy tracks.

I'm a little bit hung up on some of the Project Pitchfork-like weird engrishisms like "keep up the pretends". There's a song with literal lyrics about a plane crashing into a carnival and killing all the clowns ha. Finally the last track ... "instead of an angle" he's singing about a spiral.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 13, 2014

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

edit: you know what, I feel bad comparing the new Seabound album to Double-Crosser. The new album is worth listening to and feels very consistent and well-produced throughout. The Escape is probably my favorite track but I think I was also primed to like it because of the Dependence compilation.

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 13, 2014

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Were you comparing it in a negative way? I loving love Double-Crosser. Especially the way it builds throughout until the spectacular end of Breathe. It's the most cohesive thing they've done.

It's hard for me to judge No Sleep Demon objectively now because I just thought it was the most amazing thing at the time and place. Hell, it's what really got me into "futurepop" (or whatever the gently caress you want to call it) in the first place. Beyond Flatline has great songs on it, possibly my very favourites. Nothing on it is bad, but from one song to another it's a bit uneven.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Nah it's just that Double-Crosser was such a great album, and my original phrasing was I think "It's not Double-Crosser, but..." which is sort of unfair to say. I'd prefer to just say how I feel about it and then other people can listen to it and make their own judgment without preconceived comparisons. Having said that I definitely didn't notice the lyrics about the plane and the carnival :stare:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The Cleaner posted:

What would you say was the best/most memorable thing you guys have ever seen at an industrial show?

Best: The first time I saw Project Pitchfork live at Zita Rock 2009. The sun was shining clear in the sky the whole day through and it was insanely hot, and I was kind of exhausted already at that point and had no idea what to expect from PP since I'd never seen them live or listened to much of them yet. Then the Dream, Tiresias! intro starts playing and the If I Could beat begins, and Peter marches onto the stage and along the big rear end catwalk thing protruding a good five-six-seven meters into the audience with just the biggest grin ever on his face. And then entire crowd went nuts and started dancing and moshing like crazy. Love at first sight :allears:

Other favorite moments: The first time I saw Rammstein live was amazing, especially the Mein Teil cauldron and flamethrower bit blew my loving mind (the second show I saw last year was great as well but it just wasn't as exciting as the first time. My mom agreed v:shobon:v), and the chat I had with Ayria's members after Pitchfork's show in Leipzig. Such a lovely bunch of people :kimchi:

Least favorite thing: Probably some of the people at Amphi Festival 2010, especially the dancers who pushed their way into the middle of a completely packed crowd, shoved people around so they'd have the five square meters necessary for their dumbass industrial dancing for themselves, and who then proceeded to whip people in the face with their cyberlocks or whatever when dancing. THEN they have the audacity to get mad at people who tell them to go somewhere where they won't piss everyone off and where they'd actually have space to dance because everyone else in the immediate area just wants to mosh and jump around a bit? I didn't say anything to them since it happened a couple of meters away, but jesus christ what a bunch of rude idiots.

Why are people so rude at concerts <:mad:>

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Best: Covenant at Das Bunker in September 2012. The energy these guys had was amazing. They went on for two whole hours. I had to step off the floor in the middle it was so crowded and I was overheating. I don't know how they did it.

Worst: Combichrist in... 2010? In LA. They did alright but the sound was messed up and they played all their hits early. Nobody cares about some forgotten song about banging cyber-school girls or whatever CC writes about. I left after they played Get Your Body Beat and so did a bunch of other people.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
All my most memorable moments are from shows I was in some way involved in. I booked it or I DJed or played or whatever. For a show I wasn’t in any way involved in, probably Coil at Mutek. It wasn’t any one thing in particular, it was more of a holy-poo poo-it’s-loving-COIL overwhelming experience. That or seeing Pigface in Albany, and Martin Atkins did a drum solo that was so fast his arms were literally a blur. I didn’t know that could actually happen, that someone could move so fast that they were actually a blur. I have never seen anyone drum that fast before or since. He actually had to pause the show and do a bit of stand-up at the mic because one of his arms went numb for ten minutes after.

Worst? God I don’t know. I’ve seen so many terrible shows. Probably an electro-industrial act I saw once where their backing video software crashed during the show and you could see all the songs were MP3s loaded in a winamp playlist.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

The Cleaner posted:

Hard to pick the best, but the worst is definitely Nazis.

Edit: haha, I was thinking about a 5f-x show as the best, where they were dressed in weird outfits, and one of them spent the entire set wandering through the crowd brandishing a ray-gun/antenna thing rather than being onstage. Just not taking the whole ~industrial scene~ thing seriously. I went looking on youtube and found a video of them that Twiin apparently put up in 2007!

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 13, 2014

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Edit: haha, I was thinking about a 5f-x show as the best, where they were dressed in weird outfits, and one of them spent the entire set wandering through the crowd brandishing a ray-gun/antenna thing rather than being onstage. Just not taking the whole ~industrial scene~ thing seriously. I went looking on youtube and found a video of them that Twiin apparently put up in 2007!

Hahaha from Maschinenfest! That was a great show. It totally changed my opinion about how 'live' a show needs to be. As long as you're doing something compelling to entertain everyone, who cares?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

hatelull posted:

I don't really understand what you are trying to say here.

I mean, like, most industrial shows I've gone to are pretty much just regular concerts. Maybe the dress is a little different, or you see the Cruxshadows and Rogue does some goofy stuff because that's who he is, but mostly it's still just a band on stage and some flashing lights. Skinny Puppy had a lot of weird props, visuals, and outfits and poo poo going on, and it felt to me like I was in some late 90's movie version of a cyberpunk club. I think that's what I meant, that it was a lot weirder and cooler, more performance art than just playing songs, and if I showed it to my mom she would have been like "yes, this is the satanic hell bus i figured it would be", when most of the goth/industrial shows and clubs I go to are just regular people, albeit dressed in more black.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

ANAmal.net posted:

I mean, like, most industrial shows I've gone to are pretty much just regular concerts. Maybe the dress is a little different, or you see the Cruxshadows and Rogue does some goofy stuff because that's who he is, but mostly it's still just a band on stage and some flashing lights.

Welle: Erdball put on a really good show. Patenbrigade: Wolff too. In both cases, there's a band on stage, but they really act up and entertain the crowd and (in the case of P:W) goof around a lot. But I suppose industrial bands I've seen don't really compare to some Big Deal pop acts I've seen who can have ridiculous OTT stage sets and gimmicks like arriving down from the venue roof on top of their own logo, then using said suspended logo midway through the gig to travel out over the audience to a second stage in the middle of the crowd. That was pretty cool.

I think the industrial bands that work really well on stage, for me, are the ones that go all the way to play up to their own image. So the two previously mentioned ones, Nitzer Ebb, Laibach - the kind of bands who are utterly unmistakable live and don't really break character.

Kraftwerk were amazing, but then they're Kraftwerk and have spent years perfecting their live show.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Twiin posted:

Hahaha from Maschinenfest! That was a great show. It totally changed my opinion about how 'live' a show needs to be. As long as you're doing something compelling to entertain everyone, who cares?
This reminds me, one of the best performances I saw was Cesium 137 play their first show in Toronto. Utterly minimal: just keyboardist controlling everything, playing lead lines live, and the singer. No lights, no backdrops or anything else. And yet they had so much freaking stage presence with just their personalities and enthusiasm.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Oh I forgot about my Nazi experiences. There's a truly awful white nationalist neofolk band from near here that I've mentioned in this thread. But it's sort of coded white nationalism. (But they are, no doubt about it.)

So out of curiosity a friend and me went down to a free show and stayed for a few minutes. There were people I recognized, like one of the goth club DJs, walking around in full blackshirt attire. It was like one of those movies where everyone in the village is in on a dark conspiracy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What the gently caress is "neo-folk" anyway?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Halloween Jack posted:

It's totally not fascist, except when it is, and even then you're just forcing a label on them, man.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
^ Yup.

Halloween Jack posted:

Gloomy goth folk music.

In a nutshell, after WW2 the far right splintered into a million pieces. Some groups tried to reform themselves into friendly fascists ("we're not Nazis, we're national patriots" etc.); others turned into a parody of the Third Reich with swastika tattoos -- the whole nine yards.

Neofolk emerged as the musical expression of a third splinter, where you had the brainier and depressive types saying "all is lost, the dream is dead. We're doomed." And they argued that one should disengage politically, retreat inwards, cultivate an "aristocracy of the soul," drink wine and put up candelabras in your apartment and sing wistful songs about Europe on the decline. It's like lifestyle Nazism.

Think of it like the reverse mirror opposite of Nazi hate rock. Where hate rock is vulgar, populist and openly bigoted -- but also hides itself -- the concerts are held in basements and kept secret, neofolk is sophisticated and elitist, but hides in plain sight. You wouldn't get what they were singing about if you weren't read up on esoteric Nazis like Julius Evola. It just sounds "artsy."

But some of it is more explicit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8jk5v8NCNo

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
I knew that was a Death in June link before I clicked.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Halloween Jack posted:

If industrial (nachtmahr )got the fascist look, neo-folk got the ideology. It's pretty hard to find a good neo-folk band that doesn't eventually wind up talking about, ex, "a strong storm from the west, uniting mother europa" or some horrible coded nonsense.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
So now that I know all my (and Mick Mercer's) prejudice against it was totally justified, can anyone explain why it's so goddamned boring?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Because it's made by the kind of people who are about 50 years too late to refer to music with a backbeat as "Negro music"?

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Twiin posted:

so many terrible shows. Probably an electro-industrial act I saw once where their backing video software crashed during the show and you could see all the songs were MP3s loaded in a winamp playlist.

Bahaha.. wow that's.. amazing.

All the neo-folk Nazism aside, I think you win.

teethgrinder posted:

Worst I'd say was some band did this weird thing about eating rotten food out of a box marked "Monsanto"

Dunno if I said this but originally it was going to have fish-pumps and all this foaming swirling liquid and crazy mad-scientist aesthetic. Then I realized it was LEAKING water everywhere, so we toned it down to practically nothing last minute. I mean, imagine seeing some sparks on the stage, then some equipment and outlets blow out. Then the club owner comes out and says:

"Sorry but LEGEND can't play tonight because those 9000 retards flooded the loving stage"

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

boo_radley posted:

If industrial (nachtmahr )got the fascist look, neo-folk got the ideology. It's pretty hard to find a good neo-folk band that doesn't eventually wind up talking about, ex, "a strong storm from the west, uniting mother europa" or some horrible coded nonsense.

Yeah, when you get towards the more martial side of neo-folk, things can get a bit dodgy. So just listen to Volk by Laibach basically, if you want martial music about Europe.

Edit: Holy poo poo, Test Dept are putting on some kind of installation that you watch from a boat on the Tyne.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 14, 2014

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I just can't not adore these guys. :allears:

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Anybody know what the music the hacker dude/McPoyle is playing during Season 2 Ep 10 of House of Cards? Can't find it anywhere. Very ATR.

magiccarpet fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 18, 2014

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

magiccarpet posted:

Anybody know what the music the hacker dude/McPoyle is playing during Season 2 Ep 10 of House of Cards? Can't find it anywhere. Very ATR.

I wondered the same thing. Sounded like weird gabber.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Has Flint Glass been up to anything recently (last three years)? I haven't seen anything, but hope he is. Hierakonpolis and Nyarlathotep are some of my favorite albums, but it's been a while.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
In a weird turn, I got turned into a hand model for the local club:

I was drinking a "blu glo" which is about as sophisticated as it sounds.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
A buncha bands that no one really cares that much about are playing before the usual AnalogueTrash night in Manchester (UK) this Saturday. https://www.facebook.com/events/381649715303850/

I'm going anyway cos 'Trash init. That said I'm pretty sure I'll be able to count the number of times I've seen Deviant UK in double digits after this weekend, oh boy.

[edit]

New GodMod CD is out, haven't listened to it yet.

[edit]

Man that first track is the worst thing on the CD, don't know why that's there at all.
The whole thing could happily be the 2nd CD of Empath in my opinion. I know a lot of people stopped liking anything GodMod past that.
I'm not one of them, I think it's a shame. It feels a bit paint-by-numbers and somehow rushed. Oh well, it's not terrible if you want a bit more of the same.

Babby Sathanas fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 19, 2014

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Noricae posted:

Has Flint Glass been up to anything recently (last three years)? I haven't seen anything, but hope he is. Hierakonpolis and Nyarlathotep are some of my favorite albums, but it's been a while.

He's got a project with Empusae going. Tzolk'in, I think?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Twiin posted:

I wondered the same thing. Sounded like weird gabber.

Yeah, sounded like gabber.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
I DJed an industrial/noise set on Valentine's Day and recorded it, if y'all are into that kind of thing. Featuring 3 TEETH, Kanga, Spoek Mathambo, Melt-Banana, A Tribe Called Red, Architect, and more! Check it out on the Mixclouds!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Anyone else listen to Tom Shear's Surveillance Indiegogo project yet?

I kind of ...hated it from the Bandcamp post. But either it's grown on me significantly on my second listen, or the FLAC download sounds a hell of a lot better than the stream. (I'm not one typically to notice a huge difference between digital music qualities, but the synth sounds sounded horribly chintzy to me originally, like the most anaemic of softsynths.)

The lyrics are a big heavy-handed for my tastes, but the sound and music is pretty drat solid. Love the Depeche Mode-vibe in the verses of Thoughtcrime.

Twiin posted:

I DJed an industrial/noise set on Valentine's Day and recorded it, if y'all are into that kind of thing. Featuring 3 TEETH, Kanga, Spoek Mathambo, Melt-Banana, A Tribe Called Red, Architect, and more! Check it out on the Mixclouds!
Look forward to putting this on at work tomorrow.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Twiin posted:

What did you do to ian curtis, twiin? Or is that a cover?

Also where is the playlist because we need a playlist. Seriously, this is 1000x better than the combichrist cookie cutter hot nonsense we got for our vday clubbing.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

boo_radley posted:

What did you do to ian curtis, twiin? Or is that a cover?

Also where is the playlist because we need a playlist. Seriously, this is 1000x better than the combichrist cookie cutter hot nonsense we got for our vday clubbing.

That's Spoek Mathambo! The video is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKfwSFI8LhQ

There's a 'show playlist' button there, but the interface isn't great. I'll paste it here:

quote:

1. Baal by Soma
2. Fracture by Diaphane
3. Freaks by Architect
4. Blue Paper (A Neutral Remix) by Neutral
5. Seygot by Empusae
6. 5:30 pm by Evol Intent
7. Growls Garden by Clark
8. Blood For Oil (Flint Glass Remix) by OTX
9. Vertraut by Klangstabil
10. Ready 2 Fall by Kanga
11. Control by Spoek Mathambo
12. Red Skin Girl (ATCR Remix) by A Tribe Called Red
13. Zero by Melt banana
14. Pearls 2 Swine (Mr. Skeleton Remix) by 3 TEETH
15. Killing Grounds by Front Line Assembly
16. Lucretia, My Reflection by Destroid
17. Love your Neighbor (KMFDM Remix) by Komor Kommando
18. End Of The In by Dryft
19. Vessel by ZOLA JESUS
20. Spider by Xorcist
21. Giving Up the Ghost by DJ Shadow

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Twiin posted:

That's Spoek Mathambo! The video is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKfwSFI8LhQ

Augh, this is fantastic.

Clicking around related links brought me to this, which reminds me of Tetsuo for its lo-fi cyber-futurism.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX8USzx0prE

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

The Cleaner posted:

Most memorable was Censor headbanging, busting his head on his laptop, and then continuing to headbang spraying blood all over the photos on the gallery's walls.

Worst was seeing Kompressor live. He a CD player and a distortion pedal and a mic. And the distortion pedal broke. And it was daylight saving time, so the bar was closing early and he had to skip a bunch of tracks on his CD player. Then he got winded and sat down while he sand the rest of the songs.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Worst was seeing Kompressor live. He a CD player and a distortion pedal and a mic. And the distortion pedal broke. And it was daylight saving time, so the bar was closing early and he had to skip a bunch of tracks on his CD player. Then he got winded and sat down while he sand the rest of the songs.

That is almost like another layer of performance art on top of everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Twiin posted:

That is almost like another layer of performance art on top of everything.

Seriously, are you sure that wasn't on purpose?